The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing the 2014 Series Scheduled for Sunday, Nov 30
  • Peter Capaldi Being Interviewed by Craig Ferguson in 2009 [VIDEO]
  • Doctor Who Christmas Special 2014 Preview from BBC Children in Need
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 318 - 'Death in Heaven' Reviewed
  • Doctor Who Christmas Special 2014 Promo "Trailer" Video
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Death in Heaven? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Death in Heaven' Scheduled for Sunday, Nov 09
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 317 - 'Dark Water' Reviewed
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Dark Water? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Dark Water' Scheduled for Sunday, Nov 02

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Doctor Who Brighton Pier Exhibition 01
    Doctor Who Brighton Pier Exhibition 01
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  Doctor Who Collectables »  Know any Toronto or NYC stores to buy Doctor ..
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    Know any Toronto or NYC stores to buy Doctor Who merchandise Views: 2606
     Tuesday, July 04 2006 @ 12:56 PM EDT
    I'm pretty new to the idea of collecting Doctor Who collectables, but I have a 3 year old obsessed with the Daleks and the Tardis after we starting watching the new series on the CBC last year and picked up the DVD.

I live nearby Toronto and will be traveling to New York City for business in a few weeks, so I was wondering if anyone could point out shops in either cities that I could go to to get my son a gift or two.

Also, any hints on places in the Toronto area to buy either of the Doctor Who magazines currently going? I've won a few eBay auctions for back issues, but would like to try and get copies of them as they come out.

Thanks! Big Grin

Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Tuesday, July 04 2006 @ 01:30 PM EDT

Although it has been a few years since I have visited the store last, in NYC, there is the store Forbidden Planet that should have some Doctor Who collectables, though I am not sure how much. As the name implies, it specializes in science fiction.

Cheers,
    Louis

☛ Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LouisTrapani ♥ ♥

Tuesday, July 04 2006 @ 03:58 PM EDT
    The first and only time I was at Forbidden Planet in New York was this past February.

It was a typical small cramped comic book shop, and they had almost absolutely nothing in Doctor Who.

I say almost. What they did have was two of the film Infra-Red Daleks from Product Enterprise.

That was the grand total of their Who stock. And this was long after they could have gotten Sonic Screwdrivers, the new R/D Daleks, the Walkie Talkies, the Phone Flasher, but nope. They had nothing from the new series.

My trip to that shop was, in every single way, a huge disappointment.

Sean.

One solid hope is worth a cartload of uncertainties.

Tuesday, July 04 2006 @ 04:02 PM EDT
    It's 2006 and the internet is rampant, can't you get some of this stuff off the net? Amazon sells Doctor Who Toys - maybe they'll ship internationally for you?

If Worzel Gummidge and the Third Doctor had a fist fight - who would win?

Tuesday, July 04 2006 @ 04:22 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Palms] Also, any hints on places in the Toronto area to buy either of the Doctor Who magazines currently going? I've won a few eBay auctions for back issues, but would like to try and get copies of them as they come out.
    Thanks! Big Grin

Hi Palms,

Various comic stores around town stock Doctor Who Magazine but one store that definitely gets in each and every issue is Bakka-Phoenix Books at 697 Queen Street West (near Bathurst).

The Toy Addict has some of the new Doctor Who toys. They are located at 363 Windermere Avenue near Bloor Street West and Runnymede.

Silver Snail at 367 Queen Street West has stocked some of the new toys but I don't know how much.

I've also heard about a specialty store in Brampton that stocks Doctor Who toys but I do not know what it is called.

Before season two airs in Canada we *should* be able to buy the new Doctor Who toys in regular outlets rather than just through specialty stores. This should mean better distribution and lower prices.

Mike

"There are some corners of the universe which have bred the most terrible things. Things which act against everything we believe in. They must be fought."
      Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, July 04 2006 @ 04:44 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Magpie] It's 2006 and the internet is rampant, can't you get some of this stuff off the net? Amazon sells Doctor Who Toys - maybe they'll ship internationally for you?

Sure I could, but I'd rather come home with a gift for my son after being away - instead of just have something show up in the mail. It's absolutely the best feeling to see that look of surprise.

Tuesday, July 04 2006 @ 04:47 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  MikeD] Various comic stores around town stock Doctor Who Magazine but one store that definitely gets in each and every issue is Bakka-Phoenix Books at 697 Queen Street West (near Bathurst).

The Toy Addict has some of the new Doctor Who toys. They are located at 363 Windermere Avenue near Bloor Street West and Runnymede.

Silver Snail at 367 Queen Street West has stocked some of the new toys but I don't know how much.

Thanks, Mike. I'm going to try and sneak into one of those Queen Street stops on Friday before my wife and I go see Wilco at Massey Hall that evening.

-Sean

Tuesday, July 04 2006 @ 04:53 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  seanhuxter] ... snip ...

That was the grand total of their Who stock. And this was long after they could have gotten Sonic Screwdrivers, the new R/D Daleks, the Walkie Talkies, the Phone Flasher, but nope. They had nothing from the new series.

Not completely accurate as they've had at least two sets of new series walkie-talkies for at least the last six months... I know someone who bought a set there earlier in the year. They did have a 12" white and gold R/C Dalek a number of months ago, but I haven't seen it in the store recently. But there is very little in general...

Taras

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!

Tuesday, July 04 2006 @ 05:04 PM EDT
    Well, my report dates back to February, but it's accurate for the day I was there.

Sean.

One solid hope is worth a cartload of uncertainties.

Tuesday, July 04 2006 @ 06:02 PM EDT

Now that I think about it, even back in the "hay day of Doctor Who in the States" --- during the 80's, I don't recall them having much outside of Doctor Who publications (books, magazines, comics, etc.). Even when we met up with John Nathan-Turner and Gary Downie there while they were doing a book signing, I don't recall a tremendous amount of DW stuff... but they did have some and even back then, it did not seem all that unusual.

Since the 2005 series has played it's course on the Sci-Fi Channel, I wonder if things have changed in various US speciality stores. I guess if enough customers ask for DW merchandise, stores will carry it to some degree.

Cheers,
    Louis

☛ Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LouisTrapani ♥ ♥

Saturday, July 15 2006 @ 09:23 AM EDT
    I just wanted to say thanks to MikeD for the tip on Bakka Phoenix Books in Toronto. We ended up in Toronto again last Saturday and picked up a few issues of Doctor Who Magazine and of Enlightenment too. They have a great little Doctor Who book section there.

The magazines are proving pretty popular too, as my wife has been reading them as well and enjoying them. Big Grin

Tuesday, July 18 2006 @ 09:44 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Louis]

Although it has been a few years since I have visited the store last, in NYC, there is the store Forbidden Planet that should have some Doctor Who collectables, though I am not sure how much. As the name implies, it specializes in science fiction.

Well, thanks for the tip, Louis.
    I braved the 102 fahrenheit heat yesterday (Monday)and walked from my hotel 47th and 7 Ave all the way down to the store at Broadway and 13th only to be told they sold two Dalek robots on Sunday (I had called and was told they were in stock). They had nothing in the store I could get for the little guy, which was a little disappointing, but at least I got my exercise...

Also, the rerun of Doctor WHo on Sunday night on Sci-Fi channel had no volume in our hotel. The only channel that wasn't working properly Evil

Sunday, August 06 2006 @ 02:37 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Palms] I just wanted to say thanks to MikeD for the tip on Bakka Phoenix Books in Toronto. We ended up in Toronto again last Saturday and picked up a few issues of Doctor Who Magazine and of Enlightenment too. They have a great little Doctor Who book section there.

That's terrific! Which issue of Enlightenment were you able to pick up?

Mike

"There are some corners of the universe which have bred the most terrible things. Things which act against everything we believe in. They must be fought."
      Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, August 07 2006 @ 09:31 AM EDT
    It was issue 133, April/May 2006. The issue was a big hit, with both my wife and myself. We both liked the content.
    I actually signed up for DWIN last Sunday, so I am hoping we'll see the new issue in the post this week... ANy idea, Mike?

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed
    Words are censored