The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: The Mark of the Rani? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 301 - 'The Mark of the Rani' is Reviewed
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Featured in Podcastrovalva
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 300 - The Passing of Kate O'Mara, Interviews with Mary Tamm and Janet Fielding
  • NASA New Spacesuit Z-2 Dominates
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 299 - 'The Web of Fear' Reviewed, News, and More
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 298 - 'The Enemy of the World' Reviewed, News, and More
  • Emma Campbell-Jones joins the L.I. Who 2 line up "Best news all day"
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 297 - Classic Interview with Colin Baker, News, Feedback, and More
  • How do you rate the Matt Smith era of Doctor Who? (5=Fantastic)

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Group Photo at Gallifrey 2006
    Group Photo at Gallifrey 2006
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  Doctor Who Collectables »  Doctor Who Adventures Magazine - nice stuff f..
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    Doctor Who Adventures Magazine - nice stuff for kids! I high Views: 1874
     Sunday, July 16 2006 @ 09:52 PM EDT
    This is a magazine published in the UK for kids. Each issue so far has included some cool Who swag, strapped to the cover in a poly bag.

I bought issue 5 from WhoNA and with it came a nice plastic-bound notes binder filled with nice Who photos, and sections for you to use for various things. My daughter loved it!

I bought issue 3 from eBay (at a reasonable cost) and it includes a TARDIS clock, that's about 5-6 inches tall, is an analog alarm clock run by one AA battery!

Dude, some folks would pay $10-20 or even more for this clock alone!

And it's really nice!

Pictured here with the TARDIS Phone Flasher for scale.

The first issue is so popular (and sold out) that it's selling one Bay for around $25 US, and about $20.00 shipping! I'm not kidding! The dude was asking nine pounds to ship a magazine!

That was the winning bid, so it actually sold for that price!

I just ordered 6 and 7 from WhoNA, and my daughter doesn't know yet. I'm not going to let her know until they arrive, but she's so excited (she's 10) about these magazines.

Also, issue 3 had a very very nice paper model of K9, with texturemaps from what must be the actual model from "School Reunion". It looks pretty real. It constructs nicely, though it has thick blue lines where you're supposed to score the paper for bending. I used Photoshop to remove the blue lines and put crop lines outside the model, fixing it up a bit.

It makes a very nice K9 model.

Issue 5 had a Moxx face mask kids can cut out and put on with an elastic.

There's comics in each issue, and lots of info and pic, geared for kids, though.

More info, including the paper model (with my improvements) on my Doctor Who Fun page.

Doctor Who Fun page

Sean

One solid hope is worth a cartload of uncertainties.
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Sunday, July 16 2006 @ 10:34 PM EDT
    that's really cool. I want that clock. I looked on ebay, but it looks like it will cost me about 20 dollars to get that issue (#3) and I'm not sure I can justfy that cost.

Heath Holland

Sunday, July 16 2006 @ 10:46 PM EDT
    I think I got it for about $12.00 US shipped.

You can find it, I'm sure, on eBay for a lot less than $20.00... but then eBay is always a crap-shoot. Never know what price you're going to get.

Sean.

Monday, July 17 2006 @ 03:08 AM EDT

I was able to get issue one on Ebay before finding thecomicguru.co.uk in Cardiff and then getting another issue one and two each of #'s 2 thru 4 there. I've gotten #'s 5 thru 7 from WhoNA when they announced that they were getting them.

Taras

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!

Monday, July 17 2006 @ 05:18 AM EDT
    I've been getting this regularay for my eldest son (he's 5). We missed a couple of the earlier issues but he loves it.

It would appear that either they don't print enough copies or it is a really really good seller as he was desperate for the last issue (7) with the free squirty sonic screwdriver and we could not find a copy anywhere. This was only a day after the publish date! We went round all of the newsagents in two towns before finally, as a last ditch attempt going in to an Asda (owned by Walmart for our US chums) not holding out much hope of getting one, to find loads of copies Smile

I ended up getting 4 - one for my son a 3 for eBay. Likewise, when the latest issue came out I got 7 copies - one for my son and 3 each of the two different covers. I haven't listed them yet and I'm not sure whether to sit on them a while or just put them on now. Likewise, I'm not sure whether to list them on eBay as BIN or a final value auction. Obviously I didn't get them to give them away but likewise I'm not gready and can't stand it when people list these things as ###l@@K rare#### and start them at 20!

Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, July 19 2006 @ 08:27 AM EDT
    Well, I'm a sucker! I've just spent 5.50 (including the postage) on eBay buying an issue with the free clock, it'll look great on my wall at work! Big Grin

Interestingly, I did actually buy the issue that had the free clock originally - except mine had a completely un-Doctor Who related free Radio! Crazy!

Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, July 19 2006 @ 09:17 AM EDT
    I'm so jealous!
    I just don't think I can justify the expense to have it sent over here for about 20 dollars. But I'm still thinking about it.

Heath Holland

Wednesday, July 19 2006 @ 11:16 AM EDT
    Just got issues 6 and 7 from WhoNA.

One of them came with several sheets of stickers, all kinds. Shiny metalic ones, glow-in-the-dark ones, printed ones... my daughter, who loves stickers, is over the moon.

And the other one has a Sonic Screwdriver water-squirter!

Now it's not as nice as the regular Character Options Sonic Screwdriver, but I will say this - at least they got the color right! The barrel is an ivory color, rather than that weird pink color Character Options put out.

WIll post pics on my page sometime soon.
    Sean.

Thursday, July 20 2006 @ 01:45 AM EDT
    I just posted up some pictures of the Sonic Screwdriver Water Squirter that came with issue #7.

I will also be scanning #6's paper model of Cassandra as soon as I have it scanned and have made any improvements I feel are necessary.

Sean.

Friday, July 21 2006 @ 12:48 AM EDT
    I just put up the Card model of Cassandra as well.

Click on these images for the model and instructions, or the above link to go to my page.

Sean.

Friday, July 21 2006 @ 10:21 AM EDT
    Thanks for the great pics, Sean!

I've wanted this magazine since it came out, but my local comic retailer whom I regularly get DW Magazine from can't seem to get this in as well, for some reason.

And I've looked at back issues on Ebay - seperate issues seem fairly reasonable here and there, but I really want them ALL (the free gifts are almost always worth the issue alone) and the "entire back issue lots" always go for well over $100. ARGH.

Oh well - perhaps some Birthday dough coming up will help solve that ailment.

Human Biological Metacrisis = Bite Me, RTD.
      Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, July 26 2006 @ 08:41 AM EDT
    The current issue comes with a free Doctor Who quiz book.

It does't seem to get to the shops even close to its release date. I have better luck getting a week after the publication date. I get it from Tesco's.

Good freebies so far but I can't imagine that will continue for ever.

Practice acts of random kindness.
      Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, July 26 2006 @ 09:07 AM EDT
    I'm a bit amazed at their loot as well, for the price of the mag.

Sure, you get a lot less content than DWM, but it's the same price, and you get cool swag.

However, this bi-weekly publication means I'll be spending twice as much per month on these magazines, if I can get them.

I just purchased Issue 8, with the Quiz book. A few months ago (I get SFX at my local comic book store (New England Comics in Norwood)) I got a general Sci Fi Trivia book, and my daughter pored through it. She loved all the trivial facts about shows. She asked me as many questions as I could stand, and I scored fairly well, but she just loved it.

Imagine how she's going to react to Who trivia! (Especially if it's limited to the new series - she's only seen like 15% of the old series)

I wish local comic book shops would get these in. They bring in SFX and DWM. They probably don't get this one because it's too new - not on their radar.

I mentioned it to my comic guy and I may keep doing so, in hopes he'll bring the request upward and eventually it will be available here at shops.

Sean.

Wednesday, July 26 2006 @ 09:53 AM EDT

DWA was only to be available in the UK, which is why it is difficult to find the first few issues here in the States...

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!

Thursday, July 27 2006 @ 09:27 PM EDT
    A pal picked up issue 8 for me in Perth, Scotland last week and I surprised my son with it today. He was pretty thrilled. He's too young for the trivia book, but my wife and I will enjoy that anyway.
    They only got that issue in Perth last friday apparently too.
    I might bite the bullet and ask my gran if I can ask her to pick them up for me on the High Street in the town she lives in in Scotland. I'm sure they must have it in WH Smith's or Woolworth's.

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed
    Words are censored