The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 310 - 'Listen' Reviewed
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Listen? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Listen' Scheduled for Sunday, Sept 14th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 309 - 'Robot of Sherwood' Reviewed
  • Patrick Troughton as Robin Hood Seen in 'Robot of Sherwood'
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Robot of Sherwood? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Robot of Sherwood' Scheduled for Sunday, Sept 7th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 308 - 'Into The Dalek' Reviewed
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Into the Dalek? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 307 - 'Deep Breath' Reviewed

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Mark Strickson at Fab Cafe
    Mark Strickson at Fab Cafe
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  Marketplace »  Classic Comics?
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    Classic Comics? Views: 1141
     Thursday, March 08 2007 @ 05:03 PM EST
    Anyone out there looking for the Doctor Who Classic Comics magazines?

Ciotka Judi, The Polish Blonde
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Thursday, March 08 2007 @ 06:02 PM EST

I was looking for them a year and a half ago, and believe I found all the ones I was looking for. I'd have too check to confirm. I left my flash drive with my checklist in the MacBook Pro at home.

Taras

edit: I've got then all with a dup of #6

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!

Saturday, March 10 2007 @ 01:11 PM EST
    I've had them in the past, and like a lot of my Batman and Detective comics, I don't actually know where they are now. I suspect they're in the loft of a house I lived in a few years ago.

Just bought a bundle of DW Marvels from Ebay for £1.00. Pretty good fun......

Nothing dies of old age on Skaro!
      Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, March 11 2007 @ 08:26 AM EDT
    While listening to th BIg Finish audios, I always wondered about that story with Frobisher. Glancing at those Classic Comics, now I know where he was introduced.

Sunday, March 11 2007 @ 01:56 PM EDT

He was introduced in the comic strip in Doctor Who Magazine as a Sixth Doctor companion.

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!

Friday, April 20 2007 @ 07:55 PM EDT
    . . . in issue #88. It was also the first appearance of the Sixth Doctor. He would continue on, somewhat intermittently, until issue #133, after which the Seventh Doctor's adventures gradually left the DWM continuity in preference for the Virgin New Adventures continuity. Luckily he returned in 1994's Age of Chaos.

Chaos still holds four notable distinctions. First, it was (and still is) the only true graphic novel (that is, long form, single-story narrative) ever written in the Doctor Who universe. Second, it was the first story ever compiled under the Marvel UK (later, Panini) license done in full color. Third, it was the first major explanation of what had happened to Peri following "Trial of a Timelord". And fourth, it's the only Doctor Who comic work written by an actor who played the Doctor. And, at least according to the forward, Colin Baker specifically requested to use Frobisher from creators Parkhouse and Ridgway.

Frobisher is thus quite an important comic companion. He had an extremely lengthy, if somewhat irregular, run—second only to Izzy's time with the Eighth Doctor. He was taken to heart by the actor who played "his" first Doctor. And he's the only comics-only companion to serve two different Doctors under the Marvel license, a feat that would be absolutely unique were it not for TV Comic's John and Gillian. (Though, as we learned from the Eighth Doctor's adventures, all those TV Comic stories were a dream, anyway.)

"I think of myself as ambitious in casting terms, and I know that Bonnie [Langford] has the potential to make the part totally unirritating . . ." — JNT, 1986

Friday, April 20 2007 @ 09:44 PM EDT

If one were interested in acquiring the comics, what might one need to be willing to pay? (she asked, bracing herself...)

CI

"There's room for one more..."
      Profile    PM    Email   

Saturday, April 21 2007 @ 06:19 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  constantirritant]
    If one were interested in acquiring the comics, what might one need to be willing to pay? (she asked, bracing herself...)

CI
    For Doctor Who Classic Comics? Or the Frobisher material?

"I think of myself as ambitious in casting terms, and I know that Bonnie [Langford] has the potential to make the part totally unirritating . . ." — JNT, 1986

Saturday, April 21 2007 @ 06:35 AM EDT
    I have about the first 40 issues of the UK Doctor Who Weekly (which I believe eventually transformed into Doctor Who Monthly). Is the comic you are talking about?

Abslom Daak, Dalek Killer was my favorite story, if memory serves me well.

In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed are Kings
      Profile    PM    Email   

Saturday, April 21 2007 @ 08:27 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  constantirritant]

CI

Mr fiend is selling them at cover price, which is $4.95 US plus postage.

Saturday, April 21 2007 @ 09:32 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Doctor Whoovie] I have about the first 40 issues of the UK Doctor Who Weekly (which I believe eventually transformed into Doctor Who Monthly). Is the comic you are talking about?

Abslom Daak, Dalek Killer was my favorite story, if memory serves me well.
    Well, see, I think the thread took a turn. It originally started talking about Doctor Who Classic Comics, a title which reprinted mostly material from the pre-Marvel era, but also included some work from Doctor Who (Weekly/Monthly) Magazine. However, at one point in the thread the thread seemed to confuse this specific title with a general notion of early DWM work, and Frobisher's introduction in particular was described as taking place in "these Classic Comics". While I wouldn't disagree with the notion that some DWM stuff is "classic comics", it's not Classic Comics. No one was introduced in the pages of DWCC as it was 100% reprinted material.

Thus, when constantirritant asked about the price of "the comics", the question for me was whether she was talking about Frobisher material or back issues of Doctor Who Classic Comics. The back issues of DWCC are fairly available, sometimes, as Satai Styx has pointed out, at US cover price. Most American comics collectors don't see a whole lot of value in DWCC. However, DWCC fetches a higher markup on the secondary British market. As for getting one's hands on the classic Frobisher stuff from DWM, you'd spend an arm and a leg trying to collect it by buying individual back issues of DWM. Luckily, Panini's Doctor Who Graphic Novel series is making it much more affordable. The Sixth Doctor's era is due to begin reprinting at the end of this year, with a book entitled Voyager. First up, though, is the Eighth Doctor's final volume, The Flood, sometime this summer.

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed
    Words are censored