The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'In the Forest of the Night' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 26
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 315 - 'Flatline' Reviewed
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Flatline? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Flatline' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 19th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 314 - 'Mummy on the Orient Express' Reviewed
  • Music Video of 'Don't Stop Me Now' Performed by Foxes from Doctor Who 'Mummy on the Orient Express'
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Mummy on the Orient Express? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Mummy on the Orient Express' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 12th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 313 - 'Kill the Moon' Reviewed
  • The Curse Of The Black Tooth - Spoilers!

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Louise Jameson
    Louise Jameson
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  Torchwood - Series 1 »  My own little survey...
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    My own little survey... Views: 4692
     Thursday, December 21 2006 @ 03:52 AM EST
    I just caught episode 10 of Torchwood last night, and again was very disapointed by the way (that yet again) crow-barred sex scenes were applied instead of any kind of depth of content.

Anyways, it got me thinking - when reading through the comments on this forum there seem to be people who love the series, those who loath it and a few who seem indifferent.

What I'd like to know is, a) You opinion of the series as a whole so far, and b) your age (or age range if you don't want to be specific Wink )

Personally I am 30 and find it more adolesant than adult, childrens TV production values and plots with the odd swear word hacked in. There have been a couple of good episodes, but even these were hampered by unnecessary scenes.

Comments? Smile

Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, December 21 2006 @ 05:28 AM EST
    If I had to pay to see the series, I wouldn't. However, if I had to pay to see Doctor Who, I would pay (subscribe to a service or pay for a download fee). I think that the Torchwood series shows are tied up too nicely into pretty bows: Don't ask me how one character (can't remember his name) could betray everyone in the Cyberwoman episode and then, suddenly, all is forgive. What I like about Battlestar Galatica (new series) is that plot lines are carried out over the season. If someone is a drunk, then it affects their character in multiple shows and not just in one. Long story arcs allow for deeper characters.

The throwing in of sex--out of the blue--in Torchwood is odd. Sex occurs in BSG, but you can understand the character's motivations. Here, it's in for shock value. There have been a few good episodes, but I'll admit: I've only seen about 8 episodes and I've just not made the time to see the last two weeks.

I'm not saying that I dislike the show as there are positives to it, but with limited time, and only so much I can view TV, Torchwood is falling to the wayside for me.

Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Thursday, December 21 2006 @ 05:53 AM EST
    I'm 11 years old, and live in the UK, and after hearing that the plot of one of the earlier episodes was all about a sex alien, I gave up on Torchwood, however, I have began to rediscover it, as I have seen a couple more episodes, and are now enjoying them.

"Now Brigadeer, have I ever led you astray?" "On many ocassions!" "Ah.. well... this will be the exception!"

Thursday, December 21 2006 @ 06:16 AM EST

I completely disagree with your characterization of the sex scenes in this one being "crow-barred in in favor of real depth". I thought this was the deepest character episode yet.

I also love "chick flicks" in which depth of character is everything. I also think that episodes like this would never be written by a man, and that I'm very happy that this episode existed.

I think the series so far has been better than most US series that start up. I don't find it childish, though some of the characters act in ways that I doubt would happen in a professional setting like that.

I work for a computer game company, and there's some immature behavior, but nothing like this. We behave rather professionally.

The sex scenes in "Out of Time" were perfectly appropriate, and showed something no one expected - Owen actually getting emotionally attached to someone.

Loved it. I liked only one episode this season better. (8 I think...)

Sean.

One solid hope is worth a cartload of uncertainties.

Thursday, December 21 2006 @ 06:49 AM EST
    [Quote  by:  seanhuxter] 42.

I completely disagree with your characterization of the sex scenes in this one being "crow-barred in in favor of real depth". I thought this was the deepest character episode yet.

I also love "chick flicks" in which depth of character is everything. I also think that episodes like this would never be written by a man, and that I'm very happy that this episode existed.

I think the series so far has been better than most US series that start up. I don't find it childish, though some of the characters act in ways that I doubt would happen in a professional setting like that.

I work for a computer game company, and there's some immature behavior, but nothing like this. We behave rather professionally.

The sex scenes in "Out of Time" were perfectly appropriate, and showed something no one expected - Owen actually getting emotionally attached to someone.

Loved it. I liked only one episode this season better. (8 I think...)

Sean.

Over-all though I agree with the top poster here, if I had to pay to see this (for example, buy the DVDs or subscribe to Sky) I wouldn't. Nor do I think I would pay it much heed if it were not a Dr Who spin-off.

Specifically for the last episode, my problem here was that I felt it was a wasted oportunity, instead of exploring the adaption to life 50 years on the production team decided yet again to take the seedy route. Yes Owen discovered something other than one night stands, and yes finding your only surviving relative is your son (now your senior) with alzheimers were included, but not substantially. (and knowing past episodes, I'm sure Owens' old habits will return without a thought next week)

Speaking of the son though. He was 14 in 1953 which would make him 67 now, the actor playing him in the nursing home looked more late 70's early 80's - again, poor production values.

Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, December 21 2006 @ 09:02 AM EST
    If I had stumbled onto this show w/o the benefit of meeting Capt Jack in Doctor Who, I wouldn't be watching it. But now I'm watching it each week just to see what they do w/ Capt Jack (not much joy there, but he'll soon be back in the Blitz, and that should be better).

I have enjoyed the last few episodes, from Tosh's character exploration episode onwards. I could have done w/ more exploration of how the out of time characters were reacting to our world (vs. how our people reacted to them), but that's fine, no worries.

I find the use of swear words actually appropriate to the episodes: they aren't too frequent, they are used as I would use them in conversation, and how I experience co-workers and friends using them. But the last episodes "love" scenes took me away from the story -- not all of them, just the last one. Watch it again, you can almost hear the actor playing Owen saying, "one, two, three, thrust uncomfortably towards her. One, two, three, thrust. One, two, three, thrust." Then the aviatrix seemed to be saying, "Owen thrusts, I bounce. Thrust, bounce, thrust, bounce." It just didn't feel necessary or beautiful or whatever. At that point, a fade out would have still given us what we needed and allowed us to have at LEAST 30 seconds more of actual dialogue between characters!

Anyway, I'll continue to watch, and I really am beginning to enjoy the episodes.

by the way, mid-30s, female, definitely Midwestern sensibilities (which may account for my views on the gratuitous sex scenes)

supremacy is relative
      Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, December 21 2006 @ 09:51 AM EST
    I'd started a thread sorta like this one back in the early weeks of Torchwood, in which I'd posited the question, "If it weren't linked to Doctor Who, would you care to watch it?"

My answer, then, was a fairly firm, "no". However, as it's progressed I've found it increasingly interesting. I'm not quite to the point that I'd say I'm not watching it because of its links to Doctor Who, but I'm getting there.

I would join Sean in his complete disagreement with your characterization of the sex scenes in episode 10 as being "crow-barred". Rather, I thought it was one of the first times the sex actually led somewhere interesting. We shall see in the next episode, apparently, just how much further that "somewhere" might be.

I think it was certainly a fair characterization of early episodes that the sex was silly, and the swearing more for shock value than for verismilitude, but on the whole I'd say the series is trending more positive than negative for me.

I really hope, and actually believe, that the second series will be "dramatically competitive", especially if it does debut on BBC2. This series, it has, let's face it, traded a lot on two things it won't have next time: the gee-whiz factor of it being a Doctor Who spinoff, and the fact that it doesn't have to do much more but appeal to fairly staunch viewers of Doctor Who to do well on BBC 3. Next time out, both ratings and dramatic expectations will be higher. I personally think RTD and company can deliver on both fronts.

Does the series have a life beyond the second series? I'm not so sure. I think to do that it would have to move more towards a continuing drama format with a good deal more in the way of "back referencing"--something of which RTD isn't so much of fan these days. But one never knows. The last three episodes are meant to have a good deal more linkage than the rest of the series so far, and maybe they'll pull it all together.

I think the series does rather need to end on a cliffhanger, and I'm actively intrigued to find out if it does. If it doesn't, I'm not sure if it bodes well for the future of the program.

I'm in my mid 30s.

"I think of myself as ambitious in casting terms, and I know that Bonnie [Langford] has the potential to make the part totally unirritating . . ." JNT, 1986

Thursday, December 21 2006 @ 10:25 AM EST
    let me preface my comments by saying that I've still only watched the first four episodes. I have continued to record them, but I am waiting for the series to finish before I watch them. Honestly, the reason for this is because the series was so bad to me that I couldn't bear to continue watching it on a weekly basis, getting my hopes up only to have them dashed.

I found those 4 episodes to be juvenile, thin, and uninspired. The sex did seem shoe horned in. Take a show or series where sex feels natural and apporpriate, and then compare that to Torchwood. Again, still based on the first 4 episodes, it seemed more like kids looking at naughty magazines while the folks were out of town than adult relationship.
    If it was not Doctor Who related, I wouldn't be touching it with a 10 foot pole. Sean says it's better than most US series, and that may be true. There are very few US television shows that I am watching for the very fact that I feel television just isn't very good. I could go to shows such as 24, Heroes, the Shield, Dexter, and even Veronica Mars, which is about a teenager but feels infinitely more intellegent and mature than Torchwood.
    But again, just on 4 episodes. I'm willing to accept that the show can grow.
    edit: forgot too add my age. I'm 27.

Heath Holland

Friday, December 22 2006 @ 12:07 AM EST
    I'll be 28 in February. Not sure if this is relevant for the survey but my background is film & the arts and I am a media junkie. I listen to the news every day and I'm really picky about the newspapers I like. My favorite color is currently green, no, aubergine, no red, no, aubergine. I mix ketchup with mayo to have with my chips, eat mustard sandwhiches, and like snow.

Now.

Here comes the long-winded paragraph - my apologies. Right now, in my opinion, there's sweet feck all of interest on US television. Stations like ABC put out some new series in the late summer/early fall, then took them away, and are presently torturing us with re-runs. The WB switched itself into the CW - which doesn't mean much for programming except some of their sponsers (Cover Girl, American Eagle Outfitters) now recieve the benefits of entire commercial breaks dedicated to their products. The "quirkiest" thing they can offer us is the tiring banter of the Gilmour Girls or the stilted morality of Seventh Heaven. *YAWN* To shake things up they've grabbed all the previous episodes of "UK's Next Top Model" except an entire season gets condensed into one episode. Ugly Betty is cute but comes to us via Columbia and a variety of world versions (My sister who lives in Holland already saw the Dutch version ages ago.) I'm not even sure there's been more than 4 or 5 episodes of some of these "NEW NEW NEW!" series - even Lost felt like it left us after a handfull of episodes. So what else is on the menu? There's the standard oh-so-serious shows - of which I include 24, Prison Break and all of their ilk - The newly coined "My50" presents us with US-versions of the popular novela (personally I'd rather watch the original ones in Spanish, in particular, the spectacularly goofy Prisionera.) Watch Oprah lately? For the past 2 years or more 4 of her 5 shows a week are merely tie-ins with other ABC programs (nightline, good morning america etc...) "Men In Trees" where the girl gets dumped by her fiance and within days is over him and dating somebody new - same with Sally "not without my baby" Fields in her new show - your husband is dead and a few weeks later you're with somebody new? Rubbish! These are supposed to be "serious" shows where each episode follows some kind of "strict timeline." Some of these shows just don't seem true to their genre - or more rightly, I have a harder time accepting irrational/irregular behavoir on a "realistic" show (like Grays Anatomy) than I do in an "unrealistic" show (like Torchwood) I was gifted with the terrible Showtime offering "Weeds" on DVD recently - Ugh! Talk about gratutious everything - crude humour, awful language - and completely implausible plot line full of unlikable characters. I spent the whole time shouting at the television "Fire your maid, sell your house and get a job you stupid lady and you wouldn't have to sell drugs!"

OK that was a HUUUGE whinge. I'm trying to paint a picture here, of a viewer bored to death with the gutless monotony of American television. The tedious pandering to the sponsors. Perfectly coiffed 4 stone ladies with puffed-up lip injections and breast implants. 18 year olds with unlimited budgets having loads of sex. Dreary serious plotlines that go on forever. Blah!!! That's just not for me. It's so beige - everything is always catering for the largest possible viewership. Sometimes I do fall with the pack when it comes to my taste in tv, but lots of times I don't seem to at all.

I suppose it's not really enough enough to say that I enjoy just because everything else is so dire. But... I like Torchwood. Little touches like the alien murdering men with sex are a direct nod to the conventions of the genre. The fairies were another nod - to the rich folklore traditions of Wales. The little bit of dialogue Gwen had with the lass about sex had me genuinely giggling. I had to peek through my fingers during Countrycide. I can't think of a single other show on tv that's got me reacting that much. I like how the show surprises me - how the characters do things I wouldn't dream of. It's not afraid to make you dislike any of them from episode to episode. Nor is it afraid to kill anybody off suddenly. They aren't dragging us along from unresolved mystery to unresolved mystery. I mean, I like "Lost", but eventually, just once, could something PLEASE happen? We get our little resolution at the end of every episode, what a relief! And I am really very pleased with how the show is evolving - hurray for season 2!

A lot of complaints I read about the show seem to stem from a widespread distaste for all things Burn Gorman and what can I say, if you don't like a character well that CAN ruin a whole show for you. Which is why I won't watch anything with Tom Hanks in it! Laughing Out Loud

If Worzel Gummidge and the Third Doctor had a fist fight - who would win?

Thursday, December 28 2006 @ 01:07 PM EST
    Okay I watch currently one television show - Torchwood. Apart from that I read a lot the last four/current books are:

Whispering in the Wind - NLP 'text book'
    Saint, surfer, CEO - self development
    Tricks of the Mind - Derren Brown's latest offering
    Twelve Sharp by janot Evanovitch - comedy thriller (great but start with the 1st in the series if you haven't tried them as the characters really grow)

I also spend a lot of time with my wife and family and hence television is relegated to specific shows we like - almost al sci-fi and movies of which we are big fans.

I'm 36 currently and head of training for a firm of headhunters.

Torchwood I enjoy due to its willingness to take chances and shock the audience. We get to see realistic people being stupid, selfish, emotional and egotistical under very stressful conditions and those stupid, selfish, emotional and egotistical acts are fun to watch and sometimes wince at. Countrycide had me on the edge of my seat, the faires episode was really upsetting due to the mother losing her child. We've had Jack kill without remorse, let two suicides happen and clearly he is a man on the edge.

The show isn't perfect and sometimes there are glitches and clashes but taking it all in the spirit it is intended those hiccups work for me and if anything add to the show. Life is less than perfect and failed plans abound in real life - finally we get to see that in the environment of a sci-fi show. Farscape is the only show I can consider close to Torchwood in depicting plans failing and again was a show often misunderstood or ignored by the sci-fi community.

Too many sex scenes/innuendo? No I don't think so. I work in an office of almost 60 people and lots of banter and jokes go on. Several people flirt etc and there are a couple of relationships going on. Seems like normal life to me.

Torchwood certainly get's my vote. Would I pay for it? Hmmm well I pay my licence fee but other than that I don't pay for any TV having no cable or satellite. Will I buy it when it comes on DVD? Hmmm possibly but then I haven't bought the recent Doctor Who years so it might have to join the queue of shows I haven't yet bought!

Practice acts of random kindness.
      Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, December 28 2006 @ 01:46 PM EST
    Turning 39 in mid Jan. Eek!

There have been moments that have been good, but the early episodes leanings tward
    Teen Angst really turned me off Evil . I kept watching and it is getting better, season
    (series) finale on monday, check back then. But I still don't think they deserve the second
    series that they have been granted. It seems we finally have a format established and I
    hope they can stick closer to that. Wow us, don't put us to sleep.

Cheers,
    Mike M.

I'm a Time Traveler, I point and laugh at archaeologist.

Thursday, December 28 2006 @ 01:58 PM EST
    I'm 42.

I was thinking the same thing that the other person said, that a better question for me might be if I would watch it if it weren't Doctor Who related. I suspect I wouldn't be watching it then.

I like the show though. I have a problem with the coldness around killing, but as someone else suggested, it seems like that might be a plot theme.

I don't really like Capt. Jack. I think we are supposed to be displeased with the behavoir of all of the characters. But, Capt. Jack has a mannerism that I'm biased against. Also, he wears too much makeup.

I found the sex scenes funny, as if they were directed by someone who has to rely on imagining what would be sexy to people. Though episode 10 was somewhat romantic, I think it would be better if we didn't actually see sex. It would be better it it were hinted at.

Profile    PM    Email   

Saturday, January 13 2007 @ 08:29 PM EST
    I'm 47 (I may be getting old, but I refuse to grow up!).
    A British co-worker gets Torchwood episodes from a friend in England, so I'm getting them rather late and third-hand.

I've seen the first four so far, and I give them a good, solid "B." For me that translates to, "I enjoy watching them, but don't want to own them." As a comparison, I rented the first new season of Dr Who from Netflix, then bought it, and I'm eagerly awating season two's release. I live for DVD extras (I'd love to see the "Torchwood Unclassified" stuff!) and I find subtitles/captions indispensible for understanding accents and sorting out overlapping dialogue. Nevertheless, I doubt I'd buy Torchwood.

As for the adult content, aspect, I confess to enjoying the gratuitous T&A because I'm a dirty-minded wench. Twisted Evil

Constant Irritant

"There's room for one more..."
      Profile    PM    Email   

Saturday, January 13 2007 @ 09:47 PM EST
    Well, to make sure you get my honest opinion, I haven't read any other posts this time. So here goes . . .

When I watched the first two episodes of Torchwood I was taken aback by how awful it was. Was this, in fact, written by the same man who brought us the glorious rebirth of Doctor Who? I had my doubts.

As I continued to watch the episodes, I noticed that the show became progressively better, with one or two slip ups along the way. I've seen the whole thing now and my general opinion is that its a good show with great potential.

The sexual escapades don't really bother me, unless they have the effect of weakening an episode's plot, which they have once or twice.

In general, if sex is employed for the right reasons, in any form of entertainment, that's great. If its sole purpose is to titillate or shock, then I feel it insults my intelligence and thereby takes away from the overall experience.

I'm 36.

"Elemental, my dear Benton." The Doctor to Sgt. Benton (The Daemons)

Saturday, January 13 2007 @ 10:27 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  DarthSkeptical] I really hope, and actually believe, that the second series will be "dramatically competitive", especially if it does debut on BBC2.

Has Torchwood actually been officially commissioned for a second series already, or is that just speculation?

For what it's worth, I'm in my mid 30s, quite liked ep 1, but got so bored with it that I stopped watching it after the 4th and 5th episode.

It's so long ago, I can't remember my exact reasons, but I do recall i thought it lacked the sense of wonder that is so joyful in Who, and generally took itself too seriously - which works in a series like BSG but didn't in a series where the characters were not nearly as well developed. Also some really lazy writing at times, eg in the Fairy episode where every 10 minutes Jack would just start a random expository monologue to tell us about these fairies (with no explanation how he knows all this detailed stuff), rather than the episode revealing these things through natural story progression.

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed
    Words are censored