The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 307 - 'Deep Breath' Reviewed
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Deep Breath? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Into the Dalek' Scheduled for Sunday, Aug 31st
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Deep Breath' Scheduled for Sunday, Aug 24th
  • BBC One 'Deep Breath' Promotional Advertisement Video [VIDEO]
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 306 - Interviews with Ian Marter and Sarah Sutton
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 305 - Interviews with Peter Howell and Ron Katz
  • Five Years of The Cultdom Collective Podcast!
  • The Official BBC Teaser Promo Video for the New 2014 Series [VIDEO]
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: The Claws of Axos? (5=Fantastic)

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Daleks Invade Manchester:- Dalek Picture 13
    Daleks Invade Manchester:- Dalek Picture 13
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  Torchwood - Series 1 »  Torchwood (E11) Combat [SPOILERS]
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    Torchwood (E11) Combat [SPOILERS] Views: 2854
     Sunday, December 24 2006 @ 11:07 PM EST

Fight Club meets the rift!?!

Who can stay the longest in the cage with a Weavil? The last scene with Owen is just creepy!

Merry Xmas!

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Monday, December 25 2006 @ 04:14 AM EST

Man becoming Morlock an intresting take on current sociological trends. Males have no acceptable outlet
    for their anger which regretably is part of our nature. Still don't like Owen, but this time I actually felt something
    from the actor. Burn Gorman showed something beyond what was on the page this time and I hope to see more
    of that. Gwen seems to be heading down the Susie trail a bit (drugging her boyfirend and begging forgiveness).
    Good, and yes a bit of an 8.5 on the creepometer. It does seem to be getting better as we near the end, and
    apparently that will be New Years day at 9pm GMT. Can anyone confirm this ep 12 Captain Jack Harkness on
    Dec. 31 and ep 13 Apocalypse on Jan. 1?

Merry Christmas everyone,
    Mike M.

I'm a Time Traveler, I point and laugh at archaeologist.

Monday, December 25 2006 @ 11:28 AM EST

Yep, all I could think of was Fight Club with this episode... except that I think I may have dozed off a bit somewhere in this episode (though I didn't doze off during Fight Club).

The first rule of this episode, Combat is not to talk about Combat... Wink

Oh well, at least next week's episode looks interesting.

Cheers,
    Louis

☛ Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LouisTrapani ♥ ♥

Monday, December 25 2006 @ 11:30 AM EST
    [Quote  by:  merlin_mccarley] ... and ep 13 Apocalypse on Jan. 1?

Mike M.

Yeah, I found that surprising too. I did not realize they were going to do conclude the series the day after on New Year's Day... I assumed it would be the following week.

Cheers,
    Louis

☛ Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LouisTrapani ♥ ♥

Monday, December 25 2006 @ 12:21 PM EST
    Couple of interesting things:

1) I didn't mind the connection /rip-off to Fight Club, it was one of my favorite movies, and it might have inspired these Cardif tough-successful types to make their own. So the ripoff isn't a stretch.

2) I think the mood and atmosphere of this episode was one of the most solid yet. They nailed it.

3) Chuck Palahniuk (writer of "Fight Club" sent me a package last week, filled with junk and cool stuff and audio CDs of his readings. What a guy!

4) Tosh got some lines this week!

5) I loved Gwen standing up to Reese. "Don't ever talk to me like that again". It was a great scene. Reese's frustrations with Gwen's abandonment shows through, and Gwen, who is sympathetic to his feelings, though can't stop herself, knows where to draw the line.

6) I liked the scene at home with Reese, but I wish they had had it out a bit more before Reese collapsed, forgetting everything.

This episode made me forget a few of the weaker ones earlier in the season.

Good viewing for a late Christmas Eve when the family is asleep, and Santa just visited.

Sean.

One solid hope is worth a cartload of uncertainties.

Monday, December 25 2006 @ 02:37 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  seanhuxter]
    5) I loved Gwen standing up to Reese. "Don't ever talk to me like that again". It was a great scene. Reese's frustrations with Gwen's abandonment shows through, and Gwen, who is sympathetic to his feelings, though can't stop herself, knows where to draw the line.

Am I the only one here who feels bad for Rhys?? I mean, he's basically been abandoned by Gwen for Torchwood, she's cheated on him, drugged him with amnesia pills in the hopes of knowing he might be able to forgive her, and generally Gwen has taken him for granted. I totally understood why he blew up at her. I think she's a jerk.

Did you say "74,384,338 to 1 against"? That's my lucky number!
      Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, December 25 2006 @ 09:01 PM EST
    No, clearly, Rhys (sorry for earlier mis-spelling) has been seriously wronged, and deserves to be frustrated and angry.

But when he told Gwen to sit the **** down, she reacted correctly to that.

Sean.

Tuesday, December 26 2006 @ 02:34 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  seanhuxter] No, clearly, Rhys (sorry for earlier mis-spelling) has been seriously wronged, and deserves to be frustrated and angry.

But when he told Gwen to sit the **** down, she reacted correctly to that.

Sean.

I dont know Sean, in cases like that, you have to put yourself in Rhys' shoes, you're out with your bird for a meal, she's totally blanking everything you say after weeks of acting a bit offish, then some bleeding handsome American comes barging in, and she just ups and leaves, without even a word of comfort.
    I myself found Gwen's reaction a bit shocking, as I always thought her to be very guilty and sorrowful about how she was treating Rhys, but then the pizza scene made up for it, although very short and simple, it made a very powerful point, and was very well acted!

Drink
      Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, December 26 2006 @ 02:38 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  merlin_mccarley]

Can anyone confirm this ep 12 Captain Jack Harkness on
    Dec. 31 and ep 13 Apocalypse on Jan. 1?

Mike M.

Just checked Sky Guide, it says that episodes 12 & 13 will be shown back to back on Jan 1st, 10pm on BBC Three.
    They seemed to have postponed Sunday night's viewing.
    I'll keep you posted.

Drink
      Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, December 26 2006 @ 05:40 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  stjohnny] I myself found Gwen's reaction a bit shocking, as I always thought her to be very guilty and sorrowful about how she was treating Rhys, but then the pizza scene made up for it, although very short and simple, it made a very powerful point, and was very well acted!

I agree. I think Rhys was just driven to the breaking point. I think Gwen needed a shock to let her know how she is making him feel. Sometimes people let things build up until they burst out (seomtimes rudely). As was said, it was a well acted scene.

Did you say "74,384,338 to 1 against"? That's my lucky number!
      Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, December 26 2006 @ 05:44 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  rocko]
    [Quote  by:  stjohnny] I myself found Gwen's reaction a bit shocking, as I always thought her to be very guilty and sorrowful about how she was treating Rhys, but then the pizza scene made up for it, although very short and simple, it made a very powerful point, and was very well acted!

I agree. I think Rhys was just driven to the breaking point. I think Gwen needed a shock to let her know how she is making him feel. Sometimes people let things build up until they burst out (seomtimes rudely). As was said, it was a well acted scene.

I agree he may have reached his breaking point, but when a man says that to a woman, he loses her, period. That's the point of no return.

He came "this" close to slapping her in the face which would have been it right there.

I can sympathize with Rhys, sure, but I can't condone that kind of talk under any circumstances in which he expects her to comply. He obviously doesn't know her very well. Yet he must. They appear to have been together for a while. I'm sure he would have learned that lesson ages back.

Sean.

Tuesday, December 26 2006 @ 08:21 PM EST
    Wow...Gwen and Owen are really heading toward the Dark Side! I liked this episode. It seemed to have the right mix of the elements. I did have a laugh at the fact that the baddie must be the one person in Cardiff who hasn't heard about Torchwood!

RTD has said that with Doctor Who, he believes the character of the Doctor should bring out the best in people. With Torchwood, contact with alien tech, aliens, and other forces seem to leave people in much worse shape.

Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, December 26 2006 @ 08:26 PM EST

Just so you know, verified E12 & 13 are airing on New Years Day 9:30 P.M.

BBC Three

I'm a Time Traveler, I point and laugh at archaeologist.

Wednesday, December 27 2006 @ 02:23 AM EST
    No one should ever say what Rhys did, to their lover. Never. Period. It is forgivable of course, but never acceptable.

What did Gwen say on the phone that she then flinched about, as if it were a mistake to have said it? I couldn't understand the words.

Toshiko made a comment about the morality of using the weevil as bait. Maybe the morality issue is a theme.

Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, December 27 2006 @ 07:25 AM EST
    [Quote  by:  Haaai!]No one should ever say what Rhys did, to their lover. Never. Period. It is forgivable of course, but never acceptable.

Rhys didnt actually swear at her or about her, just to her, maybe he has a potty mouth? Would it have been better if he had said 'Sit the Heck down'? Probably not, but in an attempt to have his anger understood, this may be the only vent for him.
    I've never know a relationship without strain or arguments, some people even speak to each other like that all the time, it doesnt mean that they HAVE to split up, period. It brings feelings out in the open and can make relationships and understandings more stronger. IMO!

[Quote  by:  Haaai!]What did Gwen say on the phone that she then flinched about, as if it were a mistake to have said it? I couldn't understand the words.

Something about having to work, and then regretting it, knowing how much Rhys is against her new work schedule.

Did anyone else notice Owen looking a bit Weevil-ish at the end when he scares the other two? Or was it just me?

Drink
      Profile    PM    Email   

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed