The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: The Mark of the Rani? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 301 - 'The Mark of the Rani' is Reviewed
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Featured in Podcastrovalva
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 300 - The Passing of Kate O'Mara, Interviews with Mary Tamm and Janet Fielding
  • NASA New Spacesuit Z-2 Dominates
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 299 - 'The Web of Fear' Reviewed, News, and More
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 298 - 'The Enemy of the World' Reviewed, News, and More
  • Emma Campbell-Jones joins the L.I. Who 2 line up "Best news all day"
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 297 - Classic Interview with Colin Baker, News, Feedback, and More
  • How do you rate the Matt Smith era of Doctor Who? (5=Fantastic)

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    San Diego Comic-Con 2004
    San Diego Comic-Con 2004
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  Torchwood - Series 1 »  Torchwood (E11) Combat [SPOILERS]
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    Torchwood (E11) Combat [SPOILERS] Views: 2804
     Wednesday, December 27 2006 @ 11:31 AM EST
    Naah! I think there's more in store for Owen where the Weevils are concerned. I felt sorry for Rhys and his words to Gwen in the restaurant, though totally unworthy of him, were understandable in context with the frustration he has been feeling. Whatever the pressures of her work Gwen is the one completely in the wrong where the two of them are concerned. She should at least be able to say to him "look there are aspects of my job that I just cannot discuss" and she doesn't appear to have even made an attempt at that. Her drugging of him is even more disturbing - revealing a woman who is selfish at heart (let's face it, she only confessed to him to make herself feel better; she didn't give a stuff about his feelings) and also becoming increasingly unhinged in her attempts to justify her completely amoral behaviour. She's heading for a big fall.

The only part of this episode that didn't really work for me was the part where Mark got into the cage with the Weevil. Having gone to all that trouble to set up the whole operation it seemed weird that he'd just commit suicide like that. Ok so he lived for the rush of the fight but I know plenty of guys who do that and they don't end up topping themselves for it.

Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, December 27 2006 @ 12:17 PM EST
    Okay - so a brief "I'm on holiday" thing to say about this in anticipation of the next 'big' finale!.

I utterly loved this episode. FInally this show hit the nail on the head with what I was hopeing the series would be. I don't think it was as good as they keep killing susie but it is certainly right up there with the 'finally got the tone' collection.

More please.

Oh and on a less plussy note, I could not bear the actor who played the bad guy ( don't even know his name). I thought the man could not act believably to save his own life, and considering he was upstaged by Burn Gorman in every scene, even with THAT chin, I'd say that marks him out as pretty poor.

*********************************************************** "Rubber Soles - Swear by them!"
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Wednesday, December 27 2006 @ 12:41 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  whodovoodoo]Oh and on a less plussy note, I could not bear the actor who played the bad guy ( don't even know his name). I thought the man could not act believably to save his own life, and considering he was upstaged by Burn Gorman in every scene, even with THAT chin, I'd say that marks him out as pretty poor.

ROTFLOL

Well, he was there to be upstaged. And I thought the chin was doing the acting for him Eek! .
    And why didn't the Weevel just bite his head off during the punching bag sequence?

I'm a Time Traveler, I point and laugh at archaeologist.

Wednesday, December 27 2006 @ 02:07 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  seanhuxter]
    I can sympathize with Rhys, sure, but I can't condone that kind of talk under any circumstances in which he expects her to comply. He obviously doesn't know her very well. Yet he must. They appear to have been together for a while. I'm sure he would have learned that lesson ages back.

I think he's getting desperate and scared. I think he knows her very well, but doesn't know what to do. This frightens him, so he gets angry and lashes out without thinking. It's a very natural human reaction, and the realism of this reaction is why I think it was a very well acted scene. If Gwen really does care for him, I don't think she would be turned off by a few words spoken out of such desperation. Not in a real relationship, anyway- that only happens on TV shows, where relationships are disposable, like Seinfeld.

Did you say "74,384,338 to 1 against"? That's my lucky number!
      Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, December 27 2006 @ 05:39 PM EST

Wait a minute! There were relationships on Seinfeld?

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!

Wednesday, December 27 2006 @ 07:12 PM EST
    hmmm I don't know what I think about this episode. I don't really dig the whole fight-club story (perhaps it's a guy thing?) - maybe it's post-holiday burn-out, but as my first thought during the rolling credits wasn't "I liked that episode" I guess maybe, it's possible that I didn't! Think I need to do a rewatch maybe.

If Worzel Gummidge and the Third Doctor had a fist fight - who would win?

Thursday, December 28 2006 @ 07:26 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  whodovoodoo] Oh and on a less plussy note, I could not bear the actor who played the bad guy ( don't even know his name). I thought the man could not act believably to save his own life, and considering he was upstaged by Burn Gorman in every scene, even with THAT chin, I'd say that marks him out as pretty poor.

sure, maybe his acting wasn't up to par, but all I could think was "why wasn't THIS sexy man cast as Owen? He's much more believeable as a egotistical sex maniac! He's hot!" Sad as it was, he had my attention the entire episode!

As for the way Rhys spoke to Gwen: I never got the impression that he was going to hit her. He was understandibly frustrated. She has taken him for granted, she doesn't come home, she doesn't talk about work, she leaves to go goodness knows where during dinners, in the middle of the night, and she never calls. She had the night off - Jack told her to take the night off - and yet she goes running and the first sign of Jack. I completely understand where Rhys is coming from using that language. Granted, I would have walked away from him as well.

But Gwen has now crossed the line in ever gaining sympathy from me again. When she began her confession I thought, it's about time. But Rhys was right, she was a selfish bi-- such and such. She wasn't really confessing, she was looking for an easy way out, she wasn't doing what needed to be done to save their relationship.

by the way, really enjoyed the episode!

supremacy is relative
      Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, December 31 2006 @ 02:44 AM EST
    [Quote  by:  stjohnny]
    [Quote  by:  Haaai!]What did Gwen say on the phone that she then flinched about, as if it were a mistake to have said it? I couldn't understand the words.

Something about having to work, and then regretting it, knowing how much Rhys is against her new work schedule.

I listened again and I think she says "I have some more work to do in the Torchwood office.", and then she catches her mistake and put her hand to her mouth.

[Quote  by:  Haaai!]No one should ever say what Rhys did, to their lover. Never. Period. It is forgivable of course, but never acceptable.

Rhys didn't actually swear at her or about her, just to her, maybe he has a potty mouth? Would it have been better if he had said 'Sit the Heck down'?

He commands her to "sit the expletive down". I know people who talk to each other that way, but it doesn't carry the same meaning when people normally talk to each other that way.

Gwen's dismay indicates that she isn't one to be talked to that way. Or, in their relationship that type of talk is not interpreted as plain talk. So, it's not acceptable to talk to her that way. It's forgivable but not acceptable.

Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, December 31 2006 @ 08:33 AM EST
    [Quote  by:  mad4plaid] sure, maybe his acting wasn't up to par, but all I could think was "why wasn't THIS sexy man cast as Owen? He's much more believeable as a egotistical sex maniac! He's hot!" Sad as it was, he had my attention the entire episode!

See, I think that it's Owen's strange look and unlikely sex symbol status that makes his actual action believable. I've known some strange looking men in college who were in huge demand, and I never knew why. I think some women like a man who looks different, not handsome, hell, not even good-looking sometimes.

I totally buy Owen for the ladies' man.

[Quote 
    As for the way Rhys spoke to Gwen: I never got the impression that he was going to hit her. He was understandibly frustrated. She has taken him for granted, she doesn't come home, she doesn't talk about work, she leaves to go goodness knows where during dinners, in the middle of the night, and she never calls. She had the night off - Jack told her to take the night off - and yet she goes running and the first sign of Jack. I completely understand where Rhys is coming from using that language. Granted, I would have walked away from him as well.

Well I think that while he wasn't about to hit her, his escalation towards violence towards her took a huge leap. He obviously is frustrated and angry, but it's quite obvious he has never lost it like that in front of her before. This time he did, and she wouldn't stand for it.

I thought it was great writing, and excellent acting. VERY real.

[Quote But Gwen has now crossed the line in ever gaining sympathy from me again. When she began her confession I thought, it's about time. But Rhys was right, she was a selfish bi-- such and such. She wasn't really confessing, she was looking for an easy way out, she wasn't doing what needed to be done to save their relationship.

This is why I like Gwen. She's real. This is what a lot of people would do if they could. Everyone's looking for the easy way out. She tried it and failed. I wish the scene had gone on longer but she got exactly what she should have gotten from drugging Rhys. Nothing. No forgiveness, no cathartic freebie argument that would be forgotten in the morning. Nothing.

And when he finds out what she did, you know it's going to be Willow and Tara all over again.

[Quote by the way, really enjoyed the episode!

Me too! More than I should have perhaps. I really liked it.

Sean.

One solid hope is worth a cartload of uncertainties.

Sunday, December 31 2006 @ 11:05 AM EST

Sean.

Fans of the actor in the UK can catch him on BBC 7 (DAB Radio) now reading 'Oliver Twist' (4.00pm)

EDIT - or listen online:-
    here

Cheers, daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali

Sunday, December 31 2006 @ 01:27 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  daveac]

Sean.

Fans of the actor in the UK can catch him on BBC 7 (DAB Radio) now reading 'Oliver Twist' (4.00pm)

EDIT - or listen online:-
    here

Cheers, daveac

Just finish - Dr Who now on.

It lasted 2 hours - Here's a 3 minute clip.

Burn Gorman did a great job with all the voices.
    EDIT - 2.8 Mbs in size

here

Cheers, daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali

Sunday, December 31 2006 @ 06:25 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  seanhuxter] No, clearly, Rhys (sorry for earlier mis-spelling) has been seriously wronged, and deserves to be frustrated and angry.

But when he told Gwen to sit the **** down, she reacted correctly to that.

Sean.

I dont know Sean, in cases like that, you have to put yourself in Rhys' shoes, you're out with your bird for a meal, she's totally blanking everything you say after weeks of acting a bit offish, then some bleeding handsome American comes barging in, and she just ups and leaves, without even a word of comfort.
    I myself found Gwen's reaction a bit shocking, as I always thought her to be very guilty and sorrowful about how she was treating Rhys, but then the pizza scene made up for it, although very short and simple, it made a very powerful point, and was very well acted!

Shall I go through the exact dialogue if that happened?

Sean: Sit the **** down.
    Date: Don't ever talk to me like that. And don't ever call me again.

That'd be that.

And rightly so.

Sean.

One solid hope is worth a cartload of uncertainties.

Sunday, December 31 2006 @ 07:44 PM EST
    This is why I like Gwen. She's real. This is what a lot of people would do if they could. Everyone's looking for the easy way out. She tried it and failed. I wish the scene had gone on longer but she got exactly what she should have gotten from drugging Rhys. Nothing. No forgiveness, no cathartic freebie argument that would be forgotten in the morning. Nothing.

And when he finds out what she did, you know it's going to be Willow and Tara all over again.
    Sean.

Good point. She hasn't gotten off easy - I do hope that we see some fallout from this in her manner/attitude/whatever in the next two eps and that it wasn't just a throw away scene.

Willow and Tara.... good comparison. I'd forgotten all about that...

supremacy is relative
      Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, January 01 2007 @ 02:08 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  tarashnat]
    Wait a minute! There were relationships on Seinfeld?

Sorry, should have said, "where people are disposable". My bad. Big Grin

Did you say "74,384,338 to 1 against"? That's my lucky number!
      Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, January 02 2007 @ 08:24 AM EST
    Not my favourite episode but strongly acted. Owen is so on the edge it's like watching a car crash in slow motion.

Practice acts of random kindness.
      Profile    PM    Email   

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed