The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Flatline? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Flatline' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 19th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 314 - 'Mummy on the Orient Express' Reviewed
  • Music Video of 'Don't Stop Me Now' Performed by Foxes from Doctor Who 'Mummy on the Orient Express'
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Mummy on the Orient Express? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Mummy on the Orient Express' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 12th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 313 - 'Kill the Moon' Reviewed
  • The Curse Of The Black Tooth - Spoilers!
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Kill The Moon? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Kill The Moon' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 5th

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Rocko at OmegaCon Birmingham 2008
    Rocko at OmegaCon Birmingham 2008
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  Torchwood - Series 1 »  Torchwood (E12+13) Series Final (Spoilers!)
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    Torchwood (E12+13) Series Final (Spoilers!) Views: 6169
     Tuesday, January 02 2007 @ 08:21 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  President Nice] Funnily enough I was trying to rearrange the letters in "Bilson Manger" to make Master (or any thing else) as soon as I saw it. Maybe that was a clever bit of misdirection?
    Well, clever-ish...

Someone pointed out on a mailing list of mine that it spells out "Grim Lesbian!" :-)

Pat

"Don't play as if you've swallowed the metronome!" -- Nadia Boulanger
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Wednesday, January 03 2007 @ 10:59 AM EST

Bilis was a great character. Too bad that in the end he was wasted being a minion instead of the mastermind. The demon Abaddon would have been ok, if there was some clue as to his existence in what we had seen so far. I don't remember seeing anything through the course of the series run that even hinted at a demon being buried in the rift. This is the worst form of deus ex machina that is the bane of drama.

Yes, I caught the Bad Wolf graffiti in the Ritz as well.

Taras

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!

Wednesday, January 03 2007 @ 11:28 AM EST
    [Quote  by:  actorguy] Someone pointed out on a mailing list of mine that it spells out "Grim Lesbian!" :-)

Ahh - now it all makes sense. Twisted Evil

Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, January 03 2007 @ 11:34 AM EST
    So what was Jack thanking Gwen for at the end? The kiss that woke him like Sleeping Beauty, or for waiting just long enough?

Loved how the Tardis came and swept him away. That really got my anticipation of the final few Doctor Who's for this year.... And really, when Jack heard the Tardis, it was the happiest we'd seen him all dang year!

supremacy is relative
      Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, January 03 2007 @ 12:49 PM EST
    Murray Melvin was absolutly wonderful as Bilis Manger-

And shame on them if they wasted him on a two part series final with no plans of bring him back.

Is it just me or did he tickle any of your Hartnell Look Alike nodes as well?
    Steel eyed older gent, polite to the point of rudeness, and the immeadite
    sense that this guy knows much more than the principal characters.
    Oh so many possibilities, please we beg you Don't Waste this Character.

Cheers,
    Mike M.

I'm a Time Traveler, I point and laugh at archaeologist.

Wednesday, January 03 2007 @ 12:59 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  mad4plaid] So what was Jack thanking Gwen for at the end? The kiss that woke him like Sleeping Beauty, or for waiting just long enough?

Well, Gwen was able to give Suzie life, so it is possible just a spark from her was enough to get Jack back from the nothingness.

Taras

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!

Wednesday, January 03 2007 @ 01:19 PM EST
    Also loved these episodes. Wasn't Abbadon the same demon as in the Satan Pit? Just with more flesh on his bones. Bilis says something like, "Imprisoned since before time, entombed in stone". Maybe the ancients locked away more than one demon?? I suppose something like the rift would allow one to escape a black hole, wouldn't it? Anyway, that's how I saw it.

I also thought that Bilis might end up being a Timelord, or specifically the Master. His actions were definitely consistent with something the Master would do.

I imagine the Doctor or instruments in the TARDIS would have noticed the rift's opening up like that, and my take on the ending is that he came around to see what was going on. I expect that will take place sometime in Series 3 of DW.

Well, with Torchwood, Sarah Jane Adventures, and Doctor Who all on hiatus, I don't know what I'm going to watch! I guess Heroes will have to keep me occupied...

Did you say "74,384,338 to 1 against"? That's my lucky number!
      Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, January 03 2007 @ 01:25 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  merlin_mccarley]

Cheers,
    Mike M.

He reminded me of the character in Buffy Season 5 'The Gift' even to the point of using a knife (attacking Spike in Buffy)

As to the actor - I've not seen him since the Sixties.

Cheers, daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali

Wednesday, January 03 2007 @ 01:28 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  mad4plaid] So what was Jack thanking Gwen for at the end? The kiss that woke him like Sleeping Beauty, or for waiting just long enough?

She could still have had some of that 'life energy' Captain Jack gave her in an earlier episode.

Would have worked better if we could have seen the kiss from a better angle - to see if there was an 'energy glow' between them.

Cheers, daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali

Wednesday, January 03 2007 @ 01:30 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  rocko] Also loved these episodes. Wasn't Abbadon the same demon as in the Satan Pit? Just with more flesh on his bones. Bilis says something like, "Imprisoned since before time, entombed in stone". Maybe the ancients locked away more than one demon??

He also said 'son of Satan' - ie son of the Satan from 'The Satan Pit'

Cheers, daveac

Wednesday, January 03 2007 @ 02:11 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  daveac]
    [Quote  by:  merlin_mccarley]

Cheers,
    Mike M.

He reminded me of the character in Buffy Season 5 'The Gift' even to the point of using a knife (attacking Spike in Buffy)

Cheers, daveac

He did give me Hartnell thoughts. At first, I thought maybe he was supposed to be the first Doctor somehow, and that they were about to blow apart the canon.

Daveac, I see your point about the Gift dudes as well.

supremacy is relative
      Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, January 03 2007 @ 11:25 PM EST
    I loved the emotional intensity of these two episodes. From shootings to verbal digs, it had a little bit of everything. The monster was a bit disappointing. Maybe it was a distant cousin of the Beast.

I wasn't able to watch it all in one sitting so I kept thinking about where things would go. I thought that Jack would survive but lose the ability to be immortal. Early on I thought that Owen would be fired from Torchwood but later Jack would wipe his memory and then rehire him. That would have made for an awkward workplace!

All in all, a strong finish for Torchwood. For me this season was hot or cold but overall I'm glad that I watched. When the show clicks it's very good and I hope it will build upon this year's strengths for season 2.

Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, January 04 2007 @ 02:34 AM EST
    [Quote  by:  daveac]

Cheers, daveac

If I'm not mistaken he was in a Jonathon Creek Christmas Special a few years back.

Bollocks...sir.

Thursday, January 04 2007 @ 03:57 AM EST
    I was under the impression that when we see Capt Jack in Season 3, we would see him not long after Parting of the Ways, and possibly see him hook up with Torchwood.

But, after thinking about the end of Torchwood series one and how Capt. Jack had kept the hand and telling Gwen he was looking for a Doctor (among other things we learned during the season), that's obviously not going to happen...

Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, January 04 2007 @ 08:29 AM EST
    Wow you guys have good eyes. I missed the Badwolf in the background. Well done Daveac and you others.

Loved these two episodes although the monster was, well just a monster. Rather been there and done that. Mind you if I had been in Cardiff that day and seen a bloody huge monster looming over the city stealing people's life force through it's mear presence I wouldn't be so casual. I did love the fact that simply the shadow of the beast could take a life. Clever touch.

The office politics in that office are incredible. Makes my office seem very tame (as faras I can remember no one has shot anyone over a policy decision!) My wife and I are still debating whether Jack was overreacting by sacking Owen. I think the timing was questionable however Owen had just cause a really big problem and arguably should have been thrown in a holding cell never mind sacked.

I liked that the villan wasn't shown to be a villan too early on so we were left wondering whether people should open the rift or not.

As to the beast being buried in the ground - well where else would you bury a creature like that if you finally managed to defeat it?

Practice acts of random kindness.
      Profile    PM    Email   

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed