The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Flatline? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Flatline' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 19th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 314 - 'Mummy on the Orient Express' Reviewed
  • Music Video of 'Don't Stop Me Now' Performed by Foxes from Doctor Who 'Mummy on the Orient Express'
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Mummy on the Orient Express? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Mummy on the Orient Express' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 12th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 313 - 'Kill the Moon' Reviewed
  • The Curse Of The Black Tooth - Spoilers!
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Kill The Moon? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Kill The Moon' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 5th

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Sarah Sutton (1985)
    Sarah Sutton (1985)
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  Torchwood - Series 1 »  Torchwood (E12+13) Series Final (Spoilers!)
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    Torchwood (E12+13) Series Final (Spoilers!) Views: 6164
     Monday, January 01 2007 @ 06:25 PM EST
    NO spoilers in this post but there will be so stay away if you don't want to know!

For now - really good climax to the series. Both episodes should be watched back-to-back.

Get on that red-eye flight now.

Oh - just one spoiler please - all right then

listen carefully at the very end Big Grin

Cheers, daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Monday, January 01 2007 @ 06:40 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  daveac]Oh - just one spoiler please - all right then

Cheers, daveac

What - you want another spoiler.

All right but not a really big one?
    OK.
    Who's this Jacks meeting?
    here

Cheers, daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali

Saturday, June 09 2007 @ 07:40 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  merlin_mccarley] Yes there were Declessifieds for the final 2 eps. Let me know if you can't get a Timeflight ticket Wink .

Thanks... I see flights available... I am just scratching my head on whether or not I already took this trip or not. Perhaps I will take both flights again... just to be sure. Wink

I was just doing some housekeeping today and didn't see any evidence of taking those trips... so perhaps I thought they did not produce these two episodes as I don't think they were transmitted on their regular schedule at the time...

Cheers,
    Louis

☛ Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LouisTrapani ♥ ♥

Monday, January 01 2007 @ 06:55 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  daveac]

What - you want another spoiler.
    Cheers, daveac

OK - one last - sort of spoiler.

And if you don't want them you are on the wrong thread!

More of a pointer this time to the theme of Episode 13 'End of Days' :-

Think

Buffy
    Series 5
    The Gift

Cheers, daveac

Monday, January 01 2007 @ 07:45 PM EST
    See now, that's just torture... no flights are available to me yet. Cry

'They may shoot me dead, but I have the moral high ground!'
      Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, January 02 2007 @ 01:51 AM EST

Dave,

I will not get back at you by talking about The Sarah Jane Adventures... Twisted Evil

Taras

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!

Tuesday, January 02 2007 @ 02:50 AM EST
    Loved both episodes right up until the last ten minutes of the second half.
    What an awful, awful, deus ex machina ending.
    Now I'm am one of the few people who hated The Impossoble Planet/Satan Pit. I thought that was one of the worst Who stories ever, not quite the worst (stand up Horns of Nimon) but down low there. This was similar.
    Shame really as I enjoyed everything except the "baddie" and it's defeat. Easily the best two episodes of the series otherwise. That said they should have maybe introduced Bilson Manger earlier in the run. As it was he seemed crowbarred in at the last minute.

Bollocks...sir.

Tuesday, January 02 2007 @ 12:07 PM EST

Well here we are the end of series 1. Now we have a Rift manulipator and we know that the Hand was a Doctor Detector. Having trouble with the whole "Owen = Alpha Male" thing, but I do like the fact that Ianto Shot him Wink . Will post after a rewatch as I am feeling a bit under the wheather.

Owen as second in command? When did this happen?

Cheers,
    Mike M.

I'm a Time Traveler, I point and laugh at archaeologist.

Tuesday, January 02 2007 @ 02:38 PM EST
    Yeah, great stuff for 1h50m, but what a muddled mess at the end!

Another Satan? Why? Makes absolutely no sense that the Rift was the "home" of Satan—or any creature for that matter. It was better as just a rift. I honestly thought the whole way through that Bilis was going to reveal himself as the Master, who, having stumbled across the time/space rift, was now using it for his own purposes. Thus, when the TARDIS shows up at the end, we'd have had a neat little mystery to solve throughout the next series of Who. Now we have only the "curiosity" of what happened to Jack. I suppose Bilis could still be the Master (or at the very least still have an interesting mystery to unravel), but the monster at the end was a wholly unsatisfactory "trick" to pull on us.

I totally agree that Bilis should've been in this thing from the start—the elusive figure in the background throughout most of the episodes.

"I think of myself as ambitious in casting terms, and I know that Bonnie [Langford] has the potential to make the part totally unirritating . . ." — JNT, 1986

Tuesday, January 02 2007 @ 03:46 PM EST
    Funnily enough I was trying to rearrange the letters in "Bilson Manger" to make Master (or any thing else) as soon as I saw it. Maybe that was a clever bit of misdirection?
    Well, clever-ish...

Bollocks...sir.

Tuesday, January 02 2007 @ 04:37 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  President Nice] Funnily enough I was trying to rearrange the letters in "Bilson Manger" to make Master (or any thing else) as soon as I saw it. Maybe that was a clever bit of misdirection?
    Well, clever-ish...

On the door of the building was a 'Vote Saxon' notice - I'm sure on some forum they were saying 'saxon' is this years 'Bad Wolf'

Anyone?

Cheers, daveac

Tuesday, January 02 2007 @ 04:39 PM EST
    Loved it!

theres been a lot of issues made in 'other' forums about rtd's insistence on forcing the gay issue in every episode!

its not something i have a problem with, although i did think that the fake captain jacks tonsil-tennis session with the real captain jack was maybe a little over the top.. especially after he'd encouraged him to chase after that bird!
    thing is, i suppose he must have already been there or there abouts, because he just knew too much about him, so realistically, he must have been there twice (if that makes sence)

several points to make however

1 > the doctor must have came back for captain jack, not his hand.. cos it was still there, right at the side of gwen afterwards.. so what does he want him for? maybe this bilsen bloke has come across the doctor at some point, or rather the doctor has come across bilsen?

2> how could bilsen possibly have known ANYTHING about the torchwood teams personal lives? how could anyone have known about owens fling with diane? or gwen ? or even about ianto and his cyber bird? and since he was 'there' when, as mentioned before, the two jacks were snoggin for england, didnt he send the real jack to play on the fake jacks emotions?

3> a monster hiding under the rift? bit far fetched that one , how did he hide under there?

4> why Do the people of cardiff always have to be carrying their shopping bags when theyre running in fear of their lives?

will be interesting to see what timeline has been followed with the doctor arriving - it obviously has to be after doomsday, and rose will be gone (what will jack make of 2 people hes never actually seen before)

cant wait for series 2 - jacks gotta go back AFTER his adventures in season 3 of DW (alhough the time difference in TW could be minutes....)

hmm.. bring it all on.. i cant wait

Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, January 02 2007 @ 04:45 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  daveac]
    On the door of the building was a 'Vote Saxon' notice - I'm sure on some forum they were saying 'saxon' is this years 'Bad Wolf'

Anyone?
    Cheers, daveac

Talking of Bad Wolf - anyone notice this? :-

here

Cheers, daveac

Tuesday, January 02 2007 @ 04:53 PM EST
    My problems with the "beast" aside, it was a very enjoyable 2 hours of television. So much good went on here, from the obvious to the subtle. Dramatically rich, but thus-far sadly unusual, pairings of Jack/Tosh and Ianto/Owen, the Jack backstory, the "Doctor detector", the fruition of all the romantic "lies" that had been told between cast members, the anger of virtually everyone over Jack's identity—there was a lot of meat here to chew on. But there were also some subtle things here that were neat to catch, like the Bad Wolf graffiti, the at-last-onscreen Scully and Muldur reference, and the "Vote for Saxon" bills.

Some people over at Outpost Gallifrey have had the very neat idea that if "Abaddon" had simply been a growing shadow, that it would have been far more effective. And I have to agree. It's not the idea of Jack standing up to an all-consuming evil that's so egregious. It really is just that it's a monster at the core of the Rift. Torchwood turns to Godzilla for three climatic minutes, when a shadow would have kept it firmly in the realm of the mysterious.

"I think of myself as ambitious in casting terms, and I know that Bonnie [Langford] has the potential to make the part totally unirritating . . ." — JNT, 1986

Tuesday, January 02 2007 @ 07:59 PM EST
    [Quote Another Satan? Why? Makes absolutely no sense that the Rift was the "home" of Satan—or any creature for that matter.

yes i completely agree about the monster. was awful, and a shame as everything prior to that was excellent! i was seriously expecting there to be something a bit more sinister and exciting behind the rift than a giant monster with two horns and sharp teeth.

[Quote  It was better as just a rift. I honestly thought the whole way through that Bilis was going to reveal himself as the Master, who, having stumbled across the time/space rift, was now using it for his own purposes.

i liked billis actually! would be happy to see his return in doctor who, and his character i think would've made a brilliant master.

still, despite the awful monster i thought it ended well with jack disapearing and links it nicely with the forthcoming series of doctor who.

Profile    PM    Email   

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed
    Words are censored