The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'In the Forest of the Night' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 26
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 315 - 'Flatline' Reviewed
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Flatline? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Flatline' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 19th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 314 - 'Mummy on the Orient Express' Reviewed
  • Music Video of 'Don't Stop Me Now' Performed by Foxes from Doctor Who 'Mummy on the Orient Express'
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Mummy on the Orient Express? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Mummy on the Orient Express' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 12th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 313 - 'Kill the Moon' Reviewed
  • The Curse Of The Black Tooth - Spoilers!

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Silurian (Warriors of the Deep)
    Silurian (Warriors of the Deep)
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  Torchwood - Series 1 »  Torchwood on BBC1 or 2?
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    Torchwood on BBC1 or 2? Views: 1524
     Saturday, July 29 2006 @ 10:24 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Magpie] Captain Jack sure is cute, if only he had a nice accent.

I know that John Barrowman can switch between accents... Perhaps his character, Captain Jack may do so as well in the Torchwood series when situations warrant it? We'll have to wait and see... err... hear I mean.

Cheers,
    Louis

☛ Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LouisTrapani ♥ ♥
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Saturday, July 29 2006 @ 10:36 PM EDT
    Is it just me, or does C. J. look a little like Adam from Spooks?

-John.

Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, July 30 2006 @ 07:29 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  MikeD] BBC1 and BBC2 are terrestrial (aka broadcast, aka over the air channels) television channels of the BBC in the UK.

FYI with local variations there are five terrestrial television channels in the UK (BBC1, BBC2, ITV, Channel 4 and Five).

BBC3 is a digital channel that was started in 2003. It is only avaialble via a special set-top box, satellite or cable. Although satellite and cable have made huge inroads in the last 15 years in the UK neither are as established or common as they are in North America.

The different channels do not have a theme so much as a style, particularly BBC1 and BBC2. BBC3 has a varied schedule of original shows, movies, repeats of BBC1 shows and sometimes previews shows that might later be seen on BBC1. They start broadcast each evening at 7:00pm.

Mike

Well, actually, it goes like this:

Satellite & digital cable have all the BBC channels. Most people in the UK by far use terrestrial broadcasts on the UHF spectrum however. We do this more than any other country I believe, and due to having to work with the other EU nations, we have a hugely complex terrestrial system that is likely the most complex in the world.

Regional variations aside, it goes like this:

Analogue (due to be switched off during the period 2008-2012):

BBC1 - Mainstream.
    BBC2 - Slightly less mainstream, to cater for smaller interest groups.
    ITV1 - Fully commercial channel.
    C4 - Commercial channel, largely publically owned. Interesting experiment, some populist trash (Big Brother etc.) but a lot of special interest stuff. Not afraid to be experimental.
    Five - New(ish) channel. Still finding its feet. Quite trashy at times but still improving. Limited reception, only available in some (though most) areas.

DTT (Digital Terrestrial Television) is to replace analogue. It has quite wide coverage now, but will expand in power and number of frequencies available after switch off to replace analogue. It has a lot of channels, but I shall just list the major ones here:

All channels from analogue - as listed above.

BBC3 - Similar remit to BBC1, but a little more experimental. Things that work here generally shift to BBC1 or BBC2, but this will of course change after switch off as everyone will be able to receive BBC3. Some classic cult stuff gets put here, plus extensions to progs on the usual channels (DW Confidential for example).
    BBC4 - Covers the high brow ambitions of the BBC. Fantastic stuff.
    BBC Parliament - Covers the workings of government. Usually a session watching this requires viewer participation in the form of many rants at the TV.
    BBC News 24 - Obvious really...
    2X BBC Interactive Streams - for the interactive 'press red' services, like the attack of the grask for the Christmas episode.
    CBBC - For kids. Has some DW content for kids on here, as has been discussed in podshock.
    CeeBeebies - For very young kids. Not yet ready for DW. Awww, in't they cute?

ITV2 - Mostly repeats and films, some stuff before the main channel gets it. Much like BBC3 on the independent side, but more repeats.
    ITV3 - Classic TV from the ITV archives, from when they were great.
    ITV4 - A slightly confused channel trying to find a cult/mainstream crossover sweet spot. Limited hours. Some interesting sci-fi appears here.
    CITV - Kids.

E4 (& a +1) - C4's groovy cousin, for teens and 20 somethings. Had stargate on it & Lost on it I think. Nuff said.
    More 4 - For the thinking viewer. Sort of. Limited hours. OK, but very much in the shadow of BBC4. New channel, it will improve no doubt.
    Film4 - Fantastic free film channel. Loads of great stuff, no boundries. Latest Hollywood to black & white classics to non-english to indie greats. Both art cinema and blockbusters, from all around the world. Has a policy of only showing quality stuff, so I'm not sure the old Who classic films will make it. We live in hope though...

Sky3 - Shows things that Sky1(satellite pay channel) has finished with. Some sci-fi, like Galactica new series. OK, but almost all imports. Original stuff isn't quite up to snuff usually, but they can surprise you.
    Sky News - As you expect.
    Sky Sports News - As you expect.

UKTV History - Loverly. A bit too much about Hitler, but it is a British obsession. Great channel when they get away from that. Lots of BBC documentary reruns.
    UKTV Bright Ideas - Oh God, not more DIY & cookery programmes please! Help! Limited hours, thank God...

Many radio stations too, including all national BBC stations (1,1 Xtra,2,3,4,5 Live,5L SportsX,6 Music,7,Asian Net.,World Service). BBC7 is a radio station on DTT which sometimes has some DW on it. It has a regular sci-fi slot. I loved Day of the Triffids on BBC7.

A worthy mention to the C4 run radio station Oneword on DTT. It has much spoken word literature readings and discussion on it. Loverly. Shame it's just in mono.

There is more on DTT, but it is less worthy of note than the above main broadcasters. DTT is still growing, we expect a couple of Channel Five spin offs soon, and perhaps a 4Music channel (there are a couple of other music channels already, The Hits and TMF).

-- BongMong :)~
      Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, July 31 2006 @ 08:31 AM EDT
    Wow thanks for the above info. Guess I need to go digital at some point!

Practice acts of random kindness.
      Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, July 31 2006 @ 09:16 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Liyster] Is it just me, or does C. J. look a little like Adam from Spooks?

-John.

I can see it around the mouth and lips.

"Adam" was also in RTD's "Casanova" as Henriette's hubby (whose name escapes me) if people don't know what "Spooks" is -- it was called "MI-5" when it aired in the US on A&E

supremacy is relative
      Profile    PM    Email   

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed