The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Deep Breath? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Into the Dalek' Scheduled for Sunday, Aug 31st
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Deep Breath' Scheduled for Sunday, Aug 24th
  • BBC One 'Deep Breath' Promotional Advertisement Video [VIDEO]
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 306 - Interviews with Ian Marter and Sarah Sutton
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 305 - Interviews with Peter Howell and Ron Katz
  • Five Years of The Cultdom Collective Podcast!
  • The Official BBC Teaser Promo Video for the New 2014 Series [VIDEO]
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: The Claws of Axos? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 304 - 'The Claws of Axos' is Reviewed

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Character Collection
    Character Collection
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  Torchwood - Series 1 »  [SPOILER] Who's is the Hand?
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    [SPOILER] Who's is the Hand? Views: 3098
     Sunday, October 22 2006 @ 05:45 PM EDT
    Ok so it's an appalling pun but what are people's views on the severed hand? There was definitely a burst of the "Flavia theme" from Doctor Who when Jack ran over to save it, so the question must be - what does he want to do with it and will it play any further significance in the series?

Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, October 22 2006 @ 05:52 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Abersoch] Ok so it's an appalling pun but what are people's views on the severed hand? There was definitely a burst of the "Flavia theme" from Doctor Who when Jack ran over to save it, so the question must be - what does he want to do with it and will it play any further significance in the series?

Damn you beat me to it!!! Big Grin

There's only one person it can be - Who lost their hand on Christmas day?

How did you find the first two episodes Abersoch? I'm glad they did 1 and 2 back to back as although I found enjoyed episode one I did find it a bit slow but I guess that was because it was setting up the characters etc. I loved episode two though (really should have taken more note of the episode names)

Looking forward to next weeks!

Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, October 22 2006 @ 06:06 PM EDT
    As soon as I saw the hand I had Christmas Invasion flashbacks!

I wonder if that's "a fightin' hand" too?!!

He's the strongest, he's the quickest, he's the best..... "Yorkshire is a state of mind"
      Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, October 22 2006 @ 06:06 PM EDT
    It took me about 30 seconds to figure out whos the hand might be!

Nice to see the programme referring back to the Doctor both directly (when Captain Jack indicated the Doctor might be able to explain the no death position he is in)and indirectly (e.g the hand)

Maybe Jack thinks the Doctor will come back for his hand.

It surely must be recorded in Torchwood records that the Doctor grew another hand.

Maybe he keeps it in the hope that the Doctor will scan for timelord technology when he is next on Earth and therefore track the hand down! - What do u think?

I enjoyed the episodes and will definately tune in for episode 3 next week.

Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, October 22 2006 @ 06:09 PM EDT
    Just finished watching the first two episodes. I agree with you Capricorn1 that on it's own, Torchwood episode 1 looked great, but didn't do much more than introduce the characters.

Episode 2 was a much better introduction to the show itself - with the teaser for next week looking even better !

A bit of a blow that the first Torchwood Declassified is on at 2:40 in the morning, shortly after the first repeat.

Wondered about the hand - and like you I thought of Christmas, especially when it is deemed that important....but I'd have expected it to splat falling from that height !!

All in all a good start and really looking forward to next week's show.

Profile    PM    Email   

I reckon he's keeping it so that if he is ever involved in a freak accident which results in the loss of both hand - he can whip out his jar and thumb a lift if needs be. I'll keep a look out when I'm going down the M18.

He's the strongest, he's the quickest, he's the best..... "Yorkshire is a state of mind"
      Profile    PM    Email   

I really liked the set-up. It doesn't seem at all predictable.

The bits about how they keep covering up the deaths of innocent people throws a good bit of darkness onto it - I can't see it sitting at all well with Gwen and I think it's going to play on her mind more and more as the series progresses. I liked the references to Doctor Who continuity (spaceships over London, Cybermen in every house, etc). Plus there seems to be a rough continuity in this series, as evidenced in the alien from episode 1 also appearing in episode 2.

The level of humour seems to be about right too. Definitely not for the kiddies this one. I hope we get a few more frightening episodes.

All in all, plenty of scope for a good series I think and definitely a bloody sight better than that appalling Robin Hood rubbish they currently have on BBC1 in the Saturday night Doctor Who slot.

Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, October 22 2006 @ 06:11 PM EDT
    yes i enjoyed it, despite finding it a tad ridiculous and a bit CSI/x filesey at times. never saw the christmas invasion so the hand thing was lost on me!

Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, October 22 2006 @ 06:11 PM EDT
    Abersoch - I'm loving the Robin Hood series!

Surprised!

But Torchwood was fabtastic - a spattering of language, a bit of the naughty stuff - and lots of Aliens.

It's nice to see a bit of "Science" in sci-fi, Louis will be proud!

Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, October 22 2006 @ 06:12 PM EDT
    Eek! Actually, I've just had an entirely inappropriate thought on why Captain Jack might want to keep the Doctor's hand

Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

......but I don't think I'll go into details in the interests of keeping this forum family friendly Wink

Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, October 22 2006 @ 06:14 PM EDT
    Ha ha ha!!! Big Grin

Damn you - I can't get the image out of my head!

"well hello there Mr. Hand, you're looking lovely tonight....."

Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, October 22 2006 @ 06:17 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Abersoch] Eek! Actually, I've just had an entirely inappropriate thought on why Captain Jack might want to keep the Doctor's hand

Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

......but I don't think I'll go into details in the interests of keeping this forum family friendly Wink

judging by those two episodes i wouldn't say your thought is that inappropriate! it certainly is a lot more crass than doctor who, but i guess they need to set the tone early on. so the parents can decide what they're letting their kids in for Oops! Eek! Eek!

Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, October 22 2006 @ 06:17 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Dangermouse]
    I wonder if that's "a fightin' hand" too?!!

Of course it is, it survived the ordeal of being throw on the floor in TW Ep 2!

Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, October 22 2006 @ 06:23 PM EDT
    That would explain the elastoplast.

The tone of the show is great - dark and very funny. The dynamic between the main cast is absolutely badger and will be the main factor in making this a true hit programme.

I think this will do well internationally, I wonder if the US will take it up? I can see it doing well there. But time will tell I suppose.

Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, October 22 2006 @ 06:28 PM EDT
    I liked the way the first episode worked out too (I'm not gonna go into details to avoid spoiling it. Suffice to say if you've seen it you know what I'm talking about).

The thought entered my head about halfway into the story that this kind of solution would be a cool twist but I honestly didn't expect them to do it in the first episode. The work they did on the website threw me the wrong way too. I wish they'd kept that story going a bit longer. It would have been a cool way to tie up the first season.

Profile    PM    Email   

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed
    Words are censored