The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 305 - Interviews with Peter Howell and Ron Katz
  • Five Years of The Cultdom Collective Podcast!
  • The Official BBC Teaser Promo Video for the New 2014 Series [VIDEO]
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: The Claws of Axos? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 304 - 'The Claws of Axos' is Reviewed
  • New Doctor Who Series Launch Confirmed for August and Teaser Promo Video
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: The Invasion of Time? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 303 - 'The Invasion of Time' is Reviewed
  • Dozens of Doctor Who guests converge on Long Island this November!
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 302 - Terry Walsh Interviewed

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  

Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  Torchwood - Series 1 »  Torchwood: (E01) Everything Changes
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    Torchwood: (E01) Everything Changes Views: 6611
     Tuesday, October 24 2006 @ 08:34 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  hdutch007] ... Maybe it has to do with the fact that most boys have a serious Robin Hood phase when they grow up.

They steal from the rich, and give to the poor?

I must have missed that phase myself Wink But I had a deprived childhood anyway, but surely I digress. The stealing part, I guess I see that... but as for the rest... Hmm... OK, perhaps I will give you the band of merry men as well. Razz

Cheers,
    Louis

☛ Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LouisTrapani ♥ ♥
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Tuesday, October 24 2006 @ 10:05 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Louis]
    [Quote  by:  hdutch007] ... Maybe it has to do with the fact that most boys have a serious Robin Hood phase when they grow up.

They steal from the rich, and give to the poor?

I must have missed that phase myself Wink

badump-ching!
    Well, by Robin Hood phase, I mean running around in the woods pretending to BE Robin Hood, but for a New York kid, you probably didn't have woods. But there's always Central Park, right?

Heath Holland

Tuesday, October 24 2006 @ 10:22 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Louis] But I had a deprived childhood anyway, but surely I digress. The stealing part, I guess I see that... but as for the rest... Hmm... OK, perhaps I will give you the band of merry men as well. Razz

That's merry...not f...oh, nevermind. Wink

Pat *liked both eps of Torchwood so far*

"Don't play as if you've swallowed the metronome!" -- Nadia Boulanger

Tuesday, October 24 2006 @ 11:25 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  hdutch007]
    [Quote  by:  Magpie] After the luke-warm so-so-ness of Robin Hood I had this sinking feeling that Torchwood was also going to let me down - but it didn't.

you think Robin Hood is only so-so? I am really enjoying that show. More than Torchwood! but I digress. To each their own. Maybe it has to do with the fact that most boys have a serious Robin Hood phase when they grow up.

I admit to sticking to Robin Hood mostly for the Richard Armitage factor. I find the whole "finding links to contemporary events" in the dialogue a bit cringey. And talk about corny tag lines - "I think you'll find that's not properly cooked" har har. Eyecandy alone can't carry a tv show - so I vote Torchwood for better autumn BBC fare - so far.

If Worzel Gummidge and the Third Doctor had a fist fight - who would win?

Wednesday, October 25 2006 @ 07:14 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  hdutch007]
    [Quote  by:  Magpie] After the luke-warm so-so-ness of Robin Hood I had this sinking feeling that Torchwood was also going to let me down - but it didn't.

you think Robin Hood is only so-so? I am really enjoying that show. More than Torchwood! but I digress. To each their own. Maybe it has to do with the fact that most boys have a serious Robin Hood phase when they grow up.

Sorry off topic:-

I have to differ with you on Robin Hood - to my mind it's not good, it's not so-so it's very poor.

I gave up half way through the thrid episode so I did give it a chance.

Where to start?

Spoiler space

Robin an Much reach Nottingham in a day.

They meet a busty girl (woman) in modern makeup who looks barely five years younger than her father.

Robin waves his sword around like a 'B' fung fu movie.

His bow isn't a long bow and he reloads in the blink of a eye.

He has no charisma - certainly not a leader on men - looks like an Oasis brother chilling out.

All the political references 'war on terror' 'they are taught to hate their own country an sent to destroy it'

The sherriff saying 'tick,tock' when waiting for information - this is the 12C - no ticking clocks.

The sherriff has a black man in his court giving him advice. Even the film Robin Hood had the Moor as an odd stranger in medieval England.

Robin throws a sword up thirty feet to knock TWO men holding his friend Much.

It appears he will not be allowed to 'kill' anyone.

Will Scarlett is about 14 years old.

The script.

The flashing place names with arrow sound effects when there are only three places - Nottingham, Loxley and the forest.

Anything good? Well I think the actor who plays Guy of Gisbourne (the sherriff's henchman) is a good actor wasted here (he was in the historical drama North & South (UK)) - in fact I think he should have been given the role of Robin.

If Robin Hood had been promoted (and here we are getting slightly back on topic) properly as a children's program - and had got on air say 5pm on Sundays - then as a kid's adventure it would have been OK but by showing it at 7pm and pushing it as being in the same league as Dr Who - it becomes a great disappointment - to this viewer as least.

Cheers, daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali

Wednesday, October 25 2006 @ 08:39 AM EDT
    Thread Hijack!

well...I like Robin Hood...you guys are mean. Cry

Yeah, he looks like he's from Oasis. I agree. I don't know, I see all the faults you guys point out and like it still. I just connect with it.
    also, as I am in the US, I have no idea how the show is promoted in the UK nor what time it comes on. I think I also miss some of the modern references as well.

Heath Holland

Wednesday, October 25 2006 @ 11:48 AM EDT
    And I thought that *I* was the one who liked to go off on tangents in these threads!

.. Anyhow, just watched "Everything Changes" last night, and I'm sad to say I was disappointed. I was glad to see Captain Jack and some dialog about what has happened to him since "Bad Wolf", but things like the whole SEP field generator (or whatever thay called it in the episode) being a combined effect of the TARDIS's chameleon circuit and the time rift (they did not explicitly state that it was from the TARDIS, but come on...), etc, did not sit well with me.

I also cannot see how "Torchwood 3" could possibly be a branch of the same Torchwood operation we saw in Doctor Who, Series 2. Captain Jack seems to have *way* too much freedom to do as he pleases.

Did you say "74,384,338 to 1 against"? That's my lucky number!
      Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, October 25 2006 @ 01:15 PM EDT
    I really enjoyed the episode, watched it on the way to work Monday morning (iPod) and had a few moments where I audibly gasped and my fellow train passengers looked at me like I had the plague ("you broke the silence protocal, you must turn in your rail pass!" attitude).

But I do have issues:
    - So Jack's immortal. Could have waited a few eps to drop that bomb. But really, Jack did not seem to happy-go-lucky as I know and love him from 2005. Has the joy been removed from his life? Where was the flirting and double/triple entendres? Bring back my happy jack!

- I've watched the ep twice now and I still cannot figure out how did Gwen know to look up "Captain Jack Harkness." Did one of the cops at the homicide site mention his name when they mentioned "Torchwood?" Did she hear it when she was on the roof?

- and as someone mentioned previously: why does everyone know Torchwood's name? Where's the privacy? If they exist outside of the government/UN why does everyone in Cardiff seem to know about them?

- Owen: what a prick (can I write that word? please edit if necessary). What is he? Like 14?

ALL that being said/written, I am looking forward to next weeks episode!

supremacy is relative
      Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, October 25 2006 @ 01:16 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  rocko]...
    I also cannot see how "Torchwood 3" could possibly be a branch of the same Torchwood operation we saw in Doctor Who, Series 2. Captain Jack seems to have *way* too much freedom to do as he pleases.

Valid point. Who does Captain Jack have to answer to in Torchwood? Is there any centralized head to this organisation? It seems like it operates through it's own secret separate cells without any headquarters anywhere. It seems hard to imagine that it has existed all these years like this, but I don't know.

RTD said during the 2006 series of Doctor Who that this Torchwood would be very different from the other. That the new series would be a "different Torchwood." Indeed this is a very different Torchwood than what we saw in Army of Ghosts and Doomsday.

Cheers,
    Louis

Wednesday, October 25 2006 @ 01:36 PM EDT
    Yeah, this torchwood seems very Lone Gunmanesque. I guess the big money (from whoever is funding them) went to the Torchwood Tower. I can't see (even with our current probs in the US) how a totaly unaccountable agency can operate so openly. Query- Do you think that Cptn. Jack is generating his own funding through new invention patents? He has quite a lot of future tech knoledge. And yes I agree Owen must go. Twisted Evil There are other (better) ways to generate drama than to have a &*%( who will constantly break protocal and behave like a nasty teen jock.

I'm a Time Traveler, I point and laugh at archaeologist.

Wednesday, October 25 2006 @ 01:52 PM EDT

I started questioning how Torchwood is funded while watching these two episodes. Originally funded by Queen Victoria, I can't see how it has sustained it's funding throughout the years if it is not governed my any government or the UN. Perhaps they are selling bits and pieces of alien technology... Isn't that what Henry van Statten was doing in the DW episode, Dalek (2005)?

Cheers,
    Louis

Wednesday, October 25 2006 @ 01:55 PM EDT
    Perhaps (HUGE stretch here) because Torchwood 3 (T3 for short) is located on the rift, it is given more leaway? Or perhaps this is a statement similar to the one from Blon/Margaret in Boomtown: the whole southwest coast could fall into the ocean and no one would notice (paraphrasing here). In other words: its Cardiff, no one in London is going to care. So perhaps its RTDs dig at the non-Welsh opinion of his homeland?

supremacy is relative
      Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, October 25 2006 @ 03:04 PM EDT
    Huge streach in a diffrent direction. What if the field (for convience a SEP is ok) is more linked with the TARDIS than even Jack thinks? Combine a Einstein-Rosen Bridge with the principals of Hisenburg's uncertainty principle and Schrodinger's Cat and you get a possible answer for how Donna Eek! (the Bride) got into the TARDIS. Like I said a HUGE streatch for Doctor Who but they have to have some reason that she is able to appear through the TARDIS' formidible defenses. If this is even a close guess you bet the Doctor will come back to shut down (de-link) the field to stop a potential rift from happening.

Just a thought. Idea

I'm a Time Traveler, I point and laugh at archaeologist.

Wednesday, October 25 2006 @ 03:20 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  merlin_mccarley] Huge streach in a diffrent direction. What if the field (for convience a SEP is ok) is more linked with the TARDIS than even Jack thinks? Combine a Einstein-Rosen Bridge with the principals of Hisenburg's uncertainty principle and Schrodinger's Cat and you get a possible answer for how Donna Eek! (the Bride) got into the TARDIS. Like I said a HUGE streatch for Doctor Who but they have to have some reason that she is able to appear through the TARDIS' formidible defenses. If this is even a close guess you bet the Doctor will come back to shut down (de-link) the field to stop a potential rift from happening.

Just a thought. Idea

Wow... I hadn't thought about that. Yeah... that would explain Donna (Runaway Bride) mysteriously appearing in the TARDIS (funny how big the TARDIS is inside that it would happen to be the console room that she appears in). Good theory there... Perhaps we will find out for sure in about 60 days.

Cheers,
    Louis

Wednesday, October 25 2006 @ 03:49 PM EDT

Everyone is assuming that she just appeared. But couldn't the bride have just walked in??? The Doctor was distracted at the time!

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed
    Words are censored