The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'In the Forest of the Night' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 26
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 315 - 'Flatline' Reviewed
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Flatline? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Flatline' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 19th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 314 - 'Mummy on the Orient Express' Reviewed
  • Music Video of 'Don't Stop Me Now' Performed by Foxes from Doctor Who 'Mummy on the Orient Express'
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Mummy on the Orient Express? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Mummy on the Orient Express' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 12th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 313 - 'Kill the Moon' Reviewed
  • The Curse Of The Black Tooth - Spoilers!

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    John Barrowman at Toronto PRIDE
    John Barrowman at Toronto PRIDE
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  Torchwood - Series 1 »  Torchwood: (E01) Everything Changes
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    Torchwood: (E01) Everything Changes Views: 6788
     Sunday, October 22 2006 @ 11:44 PM EDT

** This thread assumes you have seen this episode, and it may contain spoilers pertaining to this episode if you have not already seen it **

OK, I just saw the first episode, Everything Changes and as I post this message I have not seen the second episode.... yet.

I found episode one, very reminiscent of the DW episode Rose except there were no Autons... Jack just about says at the end, "Did I mention it also travels in time" if you think about it.

Gwen even had her own version of Mickey, albeit he had less to do here in this story.

I went into this episode without any expectations except for what we already had learned about the Torchwood organization. Again, I haven't seen the second episode yet as I write this, but although I found Everything Changes interesting, it was nothing that really "wowed" me that much in it. Perhaps that will come in episode 2.

It was good seeing Captain Jack Harkness again, as it has been such a long time since we last saw him.

So, I guess this episode did what it had to do, lay the groundwork for the series. Set everything up, and so forth.

Anyway, I will post my thoughts on episode 2 later on. What was everyone else's take on episode 1, Everything Changes?

Cheers,
    Louis

☛ Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LouisTrapani ♥ ♥
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Monday, October 23 2006 @ 12:05 AM EDT

Did anyone else had to take a second look at the doctor that medicated Gwen's head wound in this episode? I thought it was Russell T Davies having a cameo in this episode. But I suppose it was not him, but someone that strongly reminded me of him, as the actor I believe is younger.

Cheers,
    Louis

Monday, October 23 2006 @ 12:11 AM EDT
    Cryptic spoiler.

The immortal spirit of Bad Wolf lives on.

Not the x-files - not subtle enough but I thought it was better than okay

Forget the shooty dog thing!

Monday, October 23 2006 @ 12:18 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  BadWolf] Cryptic spoiler.

The immortal spirit of Bad Wolf lives on.

Not the x-files - not subtle enough but I thought it was better than okay

Yes, very true. I originally thought he had some of those medical nanogenes or whatever they are called (from The Empty Child / The Doctor Dances) that repaired him... I wasn't expecting the Bad Wolf connection.

Still, doesn't that take away something from the series and the character? I mean if you know he can't be killed, where is the danger? We know he is going to get out of every situation unscathed. Even Superman had his green Kyptonite.

Cheers,
    Louis

Monday, October 23 2006 @ 12:21 AM EDT
    Louis,

I was trying not to give the details away. Now you've blown itSmile

X-files meets Captain Scarlet perhaps?

I hope you know who Captain Scarlet was, if not you can researchSmile

I wonder when the Doctor will appear?

Look at ep. 2 when I wake up

Monday, October 23 2006 @ 12:23 AM EDT
    By the way...........

Don't these red eye flights wear you outSmile?

Monday, October 23 2006 @ 12:27 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  BadWolf] By the way...........

Don't these red eye flights wear you outSmile?

Yes, especially the long delays... sigh. Wink

Cheers,
    Louis

Monday, October 23 2006 @ 12:33 AM EDT
    Reflecting.....

I think that it was everything that I expected it to be and I disagree.... it was better than Rose which was full of plot holes.

The immortality thing was an interesting twist.

This is obviously a shoe in for the American market especially having an American lead. I think that it is less quirky than Doctor Who (to outsiders) and unless Sci - Fi have already signed I think that they may have trouble securing the rights to this one. I think that this could be bigger over here simply because it is more accesable

Monday, October 23 2006 @ 12:39 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  BadWolf] ..

I was trying not to give the details away. Now you've blown itSmile

I posted a warning in the top part of my original posting in this thread... that we are assuming you have seen this episode if you are reading this thread...

[Quote  by:  BadWolf] X-files meets Captain Scarlet perhaps?

I hope you know who Captain Scarlet was, if not you can researchSmile

I wonder when the Doctor will appear?

Look at ep. 2 when I wake up

Hmm... I suspect it may be some time before we see the Doctor here if at all. RTD seems to be going out of his way to separate this series from DW in the press... but who knows. I suspect it will be towards the end of series one.

I know of the Gerry Anderson series, Captain Scarlet. But unfortunately, I have never seen it yet. I am a fan of Anderson's other series (Thunderbirds, UFO, and Space: 1999) (although I have seen Space Precinct, I wouldn't call myself a fan of it) so I would be interested in catching Captain Scarlet sometime. I know there is or will a new CGI version of it, right?

Cheers,
    Louis

Monday, October 23 2006 @ 12:45 AM EDT
    I heard rumour of Captain Scarlet being remade (possibly as a movie) but I have no more details.

I notice that RTD has been careful to keep Doctor Who away from Torchwood (as far as CJ appearences) but noting the other way.

CJ made reference to the Doctor tonight so I think that you could be right about the end of the series

Monday, October 23 2006 @ 12:47 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  BadWolf] Reflecting.....

I think that it was everything that I expected it to be and I disagree.... it was better than Rose which was full of plot holes.

The immortality thing was an interesting twist.

This is obviously a shoe in for the American market especially having an American lead. I think that it is less quirky than Doctor Who (to outsiders) and unless Sci - Fi have already signed I think that they may have trouble securing the rights to this one. I think that this could be bigger over here simply because it is more accesable

Oh I agree on both counts. I stated it was very reminiscent of Rose in it's general formula. In fact, this episode could have been called, "Gwen" but perhaps that would be going too far. Perhaps it is better than Rose structurally speaking... emotionally though, I have to give it to Rose as it had the good Doctor and the TARDIS in it and it ushered in the return of Doctor Who on television again... but that aside, yeah, Everything Changes is probably more solid.

I also had the same thing going through my head watching this episode thinking about how this series would play in North America.. I tend to agree that this would be more "sellable" in the States for sure.

Cheers,
    Louis

Monday, October 23 2006 @ 01:04 AM EDT
    Well as you and I seemed to have reasched a concensus then I am off to bed so I can be up early to give an opinion on "Day One."

I have it but I need to work tomorrow too and I am a "morning person" so I will watch before work to set the day up properly.

Monday, October 23 2006 @ 01:10 AM EDT

Very good. Thanks for the discussion here. I will catch ep. 2 and start another thread on it later, so you will have something to read first thing after seeing it in the morning. Wink

Cheers,
    Louis

Monday, October 23 2006 @ 03:28 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Louis]
    Gwen even had her own version of Mickey, albeit he had less to do here in this story.

I didn't see him having much in common with Mickey, possibly because he is more of a background character there is nothing to instantly dislike about him.

Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, October 23 2006 @ 05:08 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  BadWolf] I heard rumour of Captain Scarlet being remade (possibly as a movie) but I have no more details.

Yes, Captain Scarlett was re-made (and very well, I have to say) as a CG series a couple of years ago. There's rumours of a second series going ahead too. You should see the original 60's series first though - the puppets strings really add something Wink

Torchwood - hmmmm. I wasn't too impressed. I didn't see a single original idea, I'm afraid. RTD just seems to keep recycling old Sci-fi ideas these days. Captain Jack's immortallity is straight from Captain Scarlett, or even Wolverine (especially the disappearing head shot). As Ken has said before in the podcast, Torchwood being a secret society protecting Earth from aliens has shades of Men In Black. The cells where the aliens are kept was Silence of the Lambs (the Weavil even wore a blue boiler suit, like Hannibal Lector). There are probably more, if anyone else wants to point them out.

He's even re-used ideas from his version of Doctor Who. I won't say too much about episode 2 but the alien in that is certainly an idea we've seen recently.

That said, I did think the cast were very good, especially Gwen.

I don't know if my finding this rather unsatisfying stems from RTD re-using too many ideas from the popular culture of our youth, or that I've just watched too much telly in my time and need to get out more. I don't really mind his doing this in Doctor Who (as most kids won't have seen Aliens and the chase in last seasons the Satan Pit would be new to them) but as Torchwood is very much aimed at adults (if you haven't already seen it, wait for episode 2) I was hoping for some newer ideas that would wow me, not just the same old ones we've all seen before.

If half the art of survival is running away, the other half is knowing when to keep a straight face.
      Profile    PM    Email   

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed
    Words are censored