The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: The Mark of the Rani? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 301 - 'The Mark of the Rani' is Reviewed
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Featured in Podcastrovalva
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 300 - The Passing of Kate O'Mara, Interviews with Mary Tamm and Janet Fielding
  • NASA New Spacesuit Z-2 Dominates
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 299 - 'The Web of Fear' Reviewed, News, and More
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 298 - 'The Enemy of the World' Reviewed, News, and More
  • Emma Campbell-Jones joins the L.I. Who 2 line up "Best news all day"
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 297 - Classic Interview with Colin Baker, News, Feedback, and More
  • How do you rate the Matt Smith era of Doctor Who? (5=Fantastic)

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Dalek Controller's Chair from Remembrance of the Daleks
    Dalek Controller's Chair from Remembrance of the Daleks
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  Torchwood - Series 1 »  Torchwood: (E01) Everything Changes
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    Torchwood: (E01) Everything Changes Views: 6470
     Wednesday, October 25 2006 @ 03:59 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  rocko] And I thought that *I* was the one who liked to go off on tangents in these threads!

.. Anyhow, just watched "Everything Changes" last night, and I'm sad to say I was disappointed. I was glad to see Captain Jack and some dialog about what has happened to him since "Bad Wolf", but things like the whole SEP field generator (or whatever thay called it in the episode) being a combined effect of the TARDIS's chameleon circuit and the time rift (they did not explicitly state that it was from the TARDIS, but come on...), etc, did not sit well with me.

I also cannot see how "Torchwood 3" could possibly be a branch of the same Torchwood operation we saw in Doctor Who, Series 2. Captain Jack seems to have *way* too much freedom to do as he pleases.

I can see if you watched the first episode on it's own that it would be disappointing - I thinks that's why they showed two episodes back-to-back.

As to Captain Jack having a lot of freedom at Torchwood 3 I took to mean that the main headquarters of Torchwood was distroyed maybe along with most of it's top officials leaving Captain Jack to run his area alomost as a standaload unit.

Cheers, daveac - got to go now to watch again on BBC2

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Wednesday, October 25 2006 @ 04:07 PM EDT
    So, while he found the rift and did some impressive solar engineering then had a heart to heart with Rose, she (Donna) stood there staring at the walls? Confused Common the Doctor wasn't that distracted that he would miss a wedding dress in his TARDIS Rolling Eyes . He wasn't traveling when she appeared and I don't see the Doctor walking past her to the console without at least going Eek! "What, What, What?" a long time before leaving earth. There are bigger things at work here.

I'm a Time Traveler, I point and laugh at archaeologist.

Wednesday, October 25 2006 @ 05:02 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  tarashnat]
    Everyone is assuming that she just appeared. But couldn't the bride have just walked in??? The Doctor was distracted at the time!

While orbiting a black hole or whatever it was?

☛ Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LouisTrapani ♥ ♥

Wednesday, October 25 2006 @ 05:07 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Louis]
    [Quote  by:  tarashnat]
    Everyone is assuming that she just appeared. But couldn't the bride have just walked in??? The Doctor was distracted at the time!

While orbiting a black hole or whatever it was?

Oh wait a moment, do you mean she was already on board the TARDIS but in another room and she just stumbled into the Console Room at the time we see her (and the Doctor sees her)?

So she had to find her way inside the TARDIS while it was Earth sometime (it's there often enough), while the doors were unlocked?

Cheers,
    Louis

Wednesday, October 25 2006 @ 06:01 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  daveac]

Cheers, daveac - got to go now to watch again on BBC2

Well just watched the two episodes again and it plays better the second time - up from three severed hands to four :-)

EDIT and no on-screen logo (DOG) to spoil it!

Cheers, daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali

Wednesday, October 25 2006 @ 08:04 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  mad4plaid]
    - So Jack's immortal. Could have waited a few eps to drop that bomb. But really, Jack did not seem to happy-go-lucky as I know and love him from 2005. Has the joy been removed from his life? Where was the flirting and double/triple entendres? Bring back my happy jack!

- I've watched the ep twice now and I still cannot figure out how did Gwen know to look up "Captain Jack Harkness." Did one of the cops at the homicide site mention his name when they mentioned "Torchwood?" Did she hear it when she was on the roof?

- and as someone mentioned previously: why does everyone know Torchwood's name? Where's the privacy? If they exist outside of the government/UN why does everyone in Cardiff seem to know about them?

- I'm not sure how I feel about Jack being immortal after being brought back by Rose. I guess it's plausible. Does that mean he doesn't age, too? I wonder how much time is supposed to have passed between Parting Ways and him hooking up with Torchwood. I agree that he doesn't seem to be as happy-go-lucky as he was before. He looks a little goofier, too. I think it's his hair.

- I'm pretty sure she hears him identify himself when she was spying from the carpark.

- I don't like how everyone seems to know about Torchwood, too. I get the gag with the pizza place. That was funny. But the way they announce to the police and everyone else who they are is kind of annoying.

I'm going "Full Circle" and putting my avatar back to what it was when I first joined. :)
      Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, October 25 2006 @ 08:18 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  KevinK]

I think The Doctor did make an appearance in episode 2. What do you think that the severed hand was.

Kevin

Yeah, I believe he had a hand in that story... but my previous postings on this episode, Everything Changes was made prior to viewing episode 2, Day One.

Cheers,
    Louis

Yeah...........mine too

Forget the shooty dog thing!

Wednesday, October 25 2006 @ 08:24 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Magpie] Maybe I wasn't reading carefully enough - but I can't believe nobody had anything to say about Gwen and The Unquiet dead - anyone for taking a wager about how long before Gwen starts to show some psychic powers?

I enjoyed it - I liked the cast, I even think it's neat to see Burn Gorman minus the greased up Guppy hair from Bleak House. I did feel like the resolution flew together a little too quickly at the end, and I snorfled when they had Jack standing on top of the buildling looking out across Cardiff (ha ha!) but I really did enjoy it. After the luke-warm so-so-ness of Robin Hood I had this sinking feeling that Torchwood was also going to let me down - but it didn't. I'm looking forward to finding out why Jack wound up in the time he's at and seeing any possible supernatural Gwen development come to light.

You weren't reading carefully enough I'm afraid. Gwen was announced when they announced the series.

Wednesday, October 25 2006 @ 09:14 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  mad4plaid].

But I do have issues:

- I've watched the ep twice now and I still cannot figure out how did Gwen know to look up "Captain Jack Harkness." Did one of the cops at the homicide site mention his name when they mentioned "Torchwood?" Did she hear it when she was on the roof?

Corpse "My name is John who are you?"

CJ "Captain Jack Harkness"

About 5 minutes in when they are interviewing the corpse

Wednesday, October 25 2006 @ 09:31 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  daveac]I can see if you watched the first episode on it's own that it would be disappointing - I thinks that's why they showed two episodes back-to-back.

Will watch ep. 2 tonight and post on that thread about my take!

Did you say "74,384,338 to 1 against"? That's my lucky number!
      Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, October 25 2006 @ 10:10 PM EDT
    So is that to be the rating scale for Torchwood? The severed hand scale, or just by how many times we see the severed hand? Laughing Out Loud
    Anyway, in Doomsday the Doctor was orbiting a supernova (using its energy output to make the "call" to Rose). And during the conversation we find out that Jackie is 4 months pregnant and the Doctor knows (first hand or his precog.) that Rose was declared dead Cry along with the others that died in Torchwood Tower. How much time has past is of course completely relative. But in my opinion the Doctor has taken some of that time, in real time to seal the rift caused by the Torchwood machinery. Though it's possible she "walked in" while the Doctor was Sealing the Rifts, I believe RTD is going for something a bit more than a Tegan Jovanka entrance. She didn't appear to have had the time to absorb anything about her surrondings, so using her behaviour as a guide, I think she Rolling Eyes "Walked through a Magic Door" and appeared in the TARDIS.

These are my own oppinions and I may stand by them for up to 60 days. Mr. Green (or Torchwood proves me worng)

I'm a Time Traveler, I point and laugh at archaeologist.

Wednesday, October 25 2006 @ 10:13 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  merlin_mccarley] So is that to be the rating scale for Torchwood? The severed scale, or just by how many times we see the severed hand? Laughing Out Loud

I think we each have our own rating system. I am personally using the captive weevil system. As in episode one was 2 and a half captive Weevils out of 5.

Heath Holland

Wednesday, October 25 2006 @ 10:20 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  hdutch007]
    [Quote  by:  merlin_mccarley] So is that to be the rating scale for Torchwood? The severed scale, or just by how many times we see the severed hand? Laughing Out Loud

I think we each have our own rating system. I am personally using the captive weevil system. As in episode one was 2 and a half captive Weevils out of 5.

How about 3 snogs with Gwen out of a possible five Twisted Evil

In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed are Kings
      Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, October 25 2006 @ 11:31 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  hdutch007]

"Weevils wobble, but they don't fall down" -- Now I am really dating myself.

Hey, weevils are actually beetles, also known as a snout beetle. I believe they are considered to be pests (in food crops).

Perhaps Torchwood spells the name differently? I don't know.

Cheers,
    Louis

Wednesday, October 25 2006 @ 11:57 PM EDT
    "Weevils wobble, but they don't fall down" -- Now I am really dating myself.

Hey, weevils are actually beetles, also known as a snout beetle. I believe they are considered to be pests (in food crops).

Perhaps Torchwood spells the name differently? I don't know.

Cheers,
    Louis

Weebles are alive and well. Two well known weebles have adventures all the time here

In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed are Kings
      Profile    PM    Email   

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed