The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 307 - 'Deep Breath' Reviewed
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Deep Breath? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Into the Dalek' Scheduled for Sunday, Aug 31st
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Deep Breath' Scheduled for Sunday, Aug 24th
  • BBC One 'Deep Breath' Promotional Advertisement Video [VIDEO]
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 306 - Interviews with Ian Marter and Sarah Sutton
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 305 - Interviews with Peter Howell and Ron Katz
  • Five Years of The Cultdom Collective Podcast!
  • The Official BBC Teaser Promo Video for the New 2014 Series [VIDEO]
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: The Claws of Axos? (5=Fantastic)

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  

Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  Torchwood - Series 1 »  Torchwood: (E02) Day One
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    Torchwood: (E02) Day One Views: 3632
     Monday, October 23 2006 @ 02:18 AM EDT

** This thread assumes you have seen this episode. Therefore there may be possible spoilers pertaining to this episode here within. **

I have to say that I liked this episode better than the first. Not that the first was horrible, but it had to do what a first episode seems obligated to do so often, is set everything up for the rest of the series. Now that was taken care of, episode 2, Day One can get into the full swing of the series & characters and perhaps is a taste of what is yet to come. I enjoyed it.

I thought the characters had a chance to flesh themselves out more. Captain Jack had some great lines. Overall it had more humour, action, suspense, and... err... sex.

The coming attractions for this episode didn't really grab me so much, so perhaps that has attributed itself to my delight as it was better than what I was expecting.

Also another factor perhaps is that I didn't watch the two episodes back-to-back. I came here to discuss episode 1 first before viewing episode 2, which allowed me to digest the first episode a bit before diving into the second.

It was also good to see that the Doctor had a hand in this story as well. Wink

What did you think?

Cheers,
    Louis

☛ Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LouisTrapani ♥ ♥
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Monday, October 23 2006 @ 09:24 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Louis]
    Also another factor perhaps is that I didn't watch the two episodes back-to-back. I came here to discuss episode 1 first before viewing episode 2, which allowed me to digest the first episode a bit before diving into the second.

What did you think?

Cheers,
    Louis

I enjoyed the first night and think they were right to show 2 episodes back-to-back - as you say Louis most of the action came in the second episode.

In some ways I wonder why it was shown as 2 episodes and not a 'feature length TV movie'

As I've read in another forum - in defence of it being not up to top expectations - think of the first two Buffy episodes.

In fact it probably took part way into the second season for Buffy to get it's full look and feel.

So overall I'd say it was a pretty good start.

Cheers, daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali

Monday, October 23 2006 @ 10:09 AM EDT

Having equal length episodes makes it easier to sell the series to other markets/channels. When the BBC changed the episode length for Colin Baker's first full season of Doctor Who to approx. 45 minutes each, there were edits to make the episode lengths at 25 minutes each for some markets, cutting the episodes in half. Other markets showed complete stories in an omnibus (movie) format with no cliffhangers.

Taras

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!

Monday, October 23 2006 @ 02:57 PM EDT
    While I thought that this episode was slightly better than the previous one, I still didn't think that it was that good of a show. More "adult" content that really just felt like naughtiness for naughtiness sake. Or in other words, sex just for titilation and to make viewers blush a bit.
    This episode did have a bit more character development, which is the main thing I am looking for in these shows. At least this episode the question of where Jack came from is actually adressed, but I have to say that outside of him, I still really don't care what happens to these characters. The only sympathy I feel for the main female lead is a carryover from her role in Unquiet Dead.
    The teaser for episode 3 looks like it may actually be better. There seems to be much more going on, and it actually concerns something paranormal, as opposed to a sex loving alien entity.
    final verdict: 3 out of 5 captive Weevils.

Heath Holland

Monday, October 23 2006 @ 03:20 PM EDT
    I'm guessing that RTD is using his old trick of putting all the "smutty bits" (and I use the term lightly) in the early episodes for one of two reasons:

1.) To cause increased interest in the series from the "Wow! You nearly got to see someone's bottom" crowd

2.) To warn those likely to be offended by use of sex in a programme (who will also probably start writing letters of complaint to the editor of the Daily Mail in their dozens and thereby seal the success of the programme)

He did something very similar in the first 10 minutes of Queer as Folk which caused a similar hoo-har and increased the viewing figures 100-fold.

I suspect that once the initial shocker episode are out of the way the future ones will calm down a bit and focus on story-lines more.

Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, October 23 2006 @ 11:11 PM EDT
    I thought that both episodes were a good start.

They were enjoyable and I think that there is more to come as the series goes on.

They look like they could do with some original ideas though this looked like the PG version of speciesSmile

Forget the shooty dog thing!

Tuesday, October 24 2006 @ 12:40 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  BadWolf]...
    They look like they could do with some original ideas though this looked like the PG version of speciesSmile

And aside from the casting perhaps, Species didn't have anything original in it either... so what you are saying is that it is rehashing the rehashed. Wink

Cheers,
    Louis

Tuesday, October 24 2006 @ 09:43 AM EDT

And aside from the casting perhaps, Species didn't have anything original in it either... so what you are saying is that it is rehashing the rehashed. Wink

Cheers,
    Louis

I think you can go back earlier than that. That about 'Mantrap' which was the second? Star Trek story I think after 'Where no man has gone before.'

I know it was 'The Cage' that was 'first made.'

In 'Mantrap' the creature, looking like a woman, sucked the salt out of her victims - but it's a similar idea if not as sexual.

Cheers, daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali

Tuesday, October 24 2006 @ 12:11 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  daveac]

Cheers,
    Louis

I think you can go back earlier than that. That about 'Mantrap' which was the second? Star Trek story I think after 'Where no man has gone before.'

In 'Mantrap' the creature, looking like a woman, sucked the salt out of her victims - but it's a similar idea if not as sexual.

Cheers, daveac

Ah, classic Trek. Makes me feel like I'm at home.

Heath Holland

Tuesday, October 24 2006 @ 12:38 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  daveac]

Cheers,
    Louis

Cheers, daveac

Common guys, surely some of you are married. The idea of a woman sucking the life out of a man is as old as the man/woman dynamic, it just takes longer and is sometimes less fun. Wink

I'm a Time Traveler, I point and laugh at archaeologist.

Tuesday, October 24 2006 @ 03:10 PM EDT
    ** This thread assumes you have seen this episode. Therefore there may be possible spoilers pertaining to this episode here within. **

What did you think?

Cheers,
    Louis

Ah HA!!!! Boy! Do I feel like an idiot! I was so curious what part the hand was going to play in this, not even making the connection (pardon the pun) to TCI!!

Wow!! Oh man!! I feel like the "blonde" in the room who just got the joke explained to her!

Check out HOO on WHO, my podcast devoted to the review of Classic series Doctor Who DVD's. http://www.hooonwho.com

Tuesday, October 24 2006 @ 05:44 PM EDT
    Am I the only one who saw a pair of legs sticking out of the wheelie bin when they were looking about in the alleyway???

Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, October 25 2006 @ 12:24 AM EDT
    I ppresume that this episode was shown directly after the first so that the sexual content was after 10pm. I'm not entirely sure of the current situation but the BBC used to have a two tier watershed with certain things be permissible after 9pm and other after 10pm. I'm sure this pretty much applied when they were making "This Life".

Picking up on other peoples comments about Species and the mantrap, I'm sure there was an episode of the Outer Limits (recent remake, not the classic series) which had a very similar alien, though no secret organization chasing it. Does anyone else recall such an episode?

In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed are Kings
      Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, October 25 2006 @ 12:44 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Doctor Whoovie] ...
    Picking up on other peoples comments about Species and the mantrap, I'm sure there was an episode of the Outer Limits (recent remake, not the classic series) which had a very similar alien, though no secret organization chasing it. Does anyone else recall such an episode?

Yes, now that you mentioned it, I do recall the episode you are talking about. I believe I stumbled on it, and starting watching it while it was already in progress. So I don't believe I saw it from the beginning if memory serves. I can't help you with a title... Didn't the episode conclude in some sort of hospital or clinic?

Cheers,
    Louis

Wednesday, October 25 2006 @ 01:46 PM EDT
    Ya'll are right, not an original idea; but the classics always play well when given with a twist. It's got "succubus" written all over it - especially when consider the alien didn't want Gwen, it had to be a man.

I liked this ep better than the first. Highly entertaining. Seriously though, Jack's sexual engery was enough to placate the alien for a bit? Yet he was moved at the end of the ep by a quick "thank you" peck from Gwen....oh well, I was worried after the first ep that RTD was going to neuter our transexual hero.

supremacy is relative
      Profile    PM    Email   

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed