The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: The Mark of the Rani? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 301 - 'The Mark of the Rani' is Reviewed
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Featured in Podcastrovalva
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 300 - The Passing of Kate O'Mara, Interviews with Mary Tamm and Janet Fielding
  • NASA New Spacesuit Z-2 Dominates
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 299 - 'The Web of Fear' Reviewed, News, and More
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 298 - 'The Enemy of the World' Reviewed, News, and More
  • Emma Campbell-Jones joins the L.I. Who 2 line up "Best news all day"
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 297 - Classic Interview with Colin Baker, News, Feedback, and More
  • How do you rate the Matt Smith era of Doctor Who? (5=Fantastic)

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Gallifrey 20: Podshock After Dark
    Gallifrey 20: Podshock After Dark
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  Torchwood - Series 1 »  Torchwood: (E04) Cyberwoman
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    Torchwood: (E04) Cyberwoman Views: 4570
     Sunday, November 05 2006 @ 05:50 PM EST
    Eek! Well, they can't say that this one is for kids!

Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, November 05 2006 @ 06:06 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  Abersoch] Eek! Well, they can't say that this one is for kids!

I agree.

Thought is was a good episode - again not too sure of the last five minutes.

Cheers, daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Sunday, November 05 2006 @ 06:24 PM EST
    No - without spoiling it - the way they left it suggested too much that things might be left open for everyone to carry one "as normal" afterwards and that would be completely innappropriate, based on what we saw.

Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, November 05 2006 @ 11:37 PM EST

Usual Warning: This thread assumes you have seen episode 4 of Torchwood, Cyberwoman as it may contain spoilers.

I can't say the same... I felt this was the weakest episode so far. Since we never got to know Ianto, I felt nothing for him and what he was going through. Perhaps it would have worked better if we got to know something of his relationship with Lisa during the series, via conversation or flashbacks... and we had assumed she died in Torchwood London... when suddenly it is revealed she is still alive and he has been hiding her... (this episode would probably have to be later in the series) perhaps it would have worked better for me.

I still don't really have any emotional bond with the characters, so I have no sense of jeopardy when they are in danger. While I may have some sort of emotional bond with Jack that carried over from Doctor Who, but since he is now immortal, I don't feel anything when he faces danger either.

Once again, I felt like I have seen this story already. Frankenstein, Brain of Morbius, etc... similar themes present. The music cue (the one played every time they would cut to the Cyberwoman/Lisa) was also very familiar, I am sure I heard it or something similar used before somewhere else.

Three quarters of the way into it, I was beginning to feel antsy in my chair wondering if it was going to be over soon.

I brought money with me, but so much of this, I just wasn't buying. Sorry.

Cheers,
    Louis

☛ Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LouisTrapani ♥ ♥

Sunday, November 05 2006 @ 11:58 PM EST

Oh, did I miss something in this episode? I didn't catch it. Who ordered the pizza?

Cheers,
    Louis

☛ Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LouisTrapani ♥ ♥

Monday, November 06 2006 @ 01:56 AM EST
    [Quote  by:  Louis]

Oh, did I miss something in this episode? I didn't catch it. Who ordered the pizza?

Ianto right at the start of the episode. He appeared to think everyone else was out for the night. (They would have been had the UFO not turned up, AFAIK.)

Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, November 06 2006 @ 02:11 AM EST
    Confused
    Ok, so we have Ianto having a psychotic break over a girl (well, we all go a bit crazy for love) with shifting prioties (Upgrade/Love) and aparently Jack/Torchwood has no problem with that. I think the characters are getting weeker instead of growing. With what (little) we had seen of Ianto, up to this point, I could almost believe he was really in charge of the branch. Obviously he seems to hold the keys to the castle and I really think he knows way to much to be let go of. We shall see, but his character held the most promise for me at the beginning of the series. And now that's gone also. Cry Torchwood has got to find legs (pun unintended) or the audience will go elsewhere.

I'm a Time Traveler, I point and laugh at archaeologist.

Monday, November 06 2006 @ 06:50 AM EST
    [Quote  by:  Louis]
    Once again, I felt like I have seen this story already. Frankenstein, Brain of Morbius, etc... similar themes present.

I agree. So far, every episode of Torchwood has just presented us with Sci Fi's cliche's we've all seen a hundred times before. This time they wheeled out the creaking "trapped in a claustrophobic base with a monster" plot line, blew the dust off the "one of the team is a traitor" story twist and gave us Torchwood episode 4.

If I was RTD's teacher I'd give him a 3/10, a sad face Frown and tell him "stop copying other people's home work and think of something original yourself".

That said, in my life, I never expected to see a pteradactyl attacking a cyberwoman. THAT was a surprise.

How the hell did they get a pteradactyl anyway?

If half the art of survival is running away, the other half is knowing when to keep a straight face.
      Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, November 06 2006 @ 06:58 AM EST
    By the way, why didn't they just shoot Lisa in the face?

If half the art of survival is running away, the other half is knowing when to keep a straight face.
      Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, November 06 2006 @ 08:00 AM EST
    Just read the comments this morning after getting through the episode on the train. (Don't we love DVD recorders!)

And I'm surprised.

I have to say compared to last weeks narrative and directorial let down I couldn't really find any plot holes in this weeks episode.

That's not to say I didn't try and I have a few niggles ( see later).

First - contrary to my usual path of finding the worst in everything - let's go for the positives.

1) Liked the fact the pterodactyl finally had a point.
    2) Loved the customised Torchwood basketball hoop.
    3) Jack was much more of a leader, far more pivotal, liked that he referred to team as his friends.
    4) I loved Ianto in this episode, I liked that the excuse for his behaviour was that he had been over looked by Jack and the team for 'clearing up their shit' - I felt for him - You go guy, I thought. (Let down by him going back to 'pick up their shit' (and his own) at the end - but hey - it shows he's humble.
    5) I felt a couple of loose ends were tied up in this episode, Toshiko coming into her own (still more development required), Ianto managed to hold my attention and even my sympathy - some good acting.
    Gwen wasn't the be all end all of this episode.
    Jack showed both his strengths and his weaknesses (weakness is a very important factor in a hero, perfection doesn't ring true with any audience) and Owen seems to be softening (development on last week - like it).
    6) Loved the random interlude from the boyfriend; some may think it spoiled the tension, but I think bathos has a huge role to play in any drama and that tension can only heightened by grounding it in reality and moments of normality for comparative purposes (only if they're short before anyone accuses me of being a hypocrite about the scenes in last weeks ep I thought were far from necessary).
    7) Unlike EP03 I felt engaged throughout this episode, I liked the pace, I liked the references and I liked the humour, the apporpriate swearing ( none of it felt forced) and the gore felt appropriate but not over done.
    8) I liked that it showed the fall out from Doomsday. Sort of brings home the concept of the Doctor leaving a lot of mess and death in his wake even though he does good things. Shows the other side of Doomsday, more than "the Doctor looses Rose", and brings home the "a lot of people died that day" comment without being too self referential

Now for some doozies for discussion:

1) Again - did everyone forget the cybermen invaded, or did the cybermen bypass cardiff in favour of the Taj Mahal?
    2) Lisa's shoes - Am I the only one peeved that she had high heels. I'm sorry but if you were a cyber man hoovering up people on the fly making fast conversions so that you had an army would you stop and design the ladies a nice pair of high heels!
    3) Still confused about why the whole team actually shot the poor pizza girl in the end. She couldn't exactly "upgrade" anyone anymore could she, infact she was impotent, if a bit insane. It looks like they killed her for simply being unhinged - which is plain cruel.
    4) Considering that the first episode was so close to 'Rose', anyone else think that this whole episode bore a rather striking resemblance to 'Dalek'...except I don't think the Doctor and the lone Dalek ever got down and did the bad thing! Eek!
    There's my two penneth.

On a plus note - I really like the look of next week's!

*********************************************************** "Rubber Soles - Swear by them!"

Monday, November 06 2006 @ 08:12 AM EST
    [Quote  by:  whodovoodoo]
    3) Still confused about why the whole team actually shot the poor pizza girl in the end. She couldn't exactly "upgrade" anyone anymore could she, infact she was impotent, if a bit insane. It looks like they killed her for simply being unhinged - which is plain cruel.

In a way they didn't shoot the pizza girl - brain swop - and she did have the knowledge to 'upgrade' other and maybe even herself.

Cheers, daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali

Monday, November 06 2006 @ 09:33 AM EST
    Am I to gather from Episode 4 that Jack can resurect people. Confused The kiss seemed to rejuvinate Ianto who "seemed to be" dead. Either that or Jack chooses strange times for a trist. Eek! The implications bother me. If he can resurect the recently deceased why play with "The Glove" in episode 1? It seems that our boy Jack is courting death, not sure I like that direction.

Thoughts?
    Mike

I'm a Time Traveler, I point and laugh at archaeologist.

Monday, November 06 2006 @ 10:43 AM EST
    [Quote  by:  merlin_mccarley] Am I to gather from Episode 4 that Jack can resurect people. Confused The kiss seemed to rejuvinate Ianto who "seemed to be" dead. Either that or Jack chooses strange times for a trist. Eek! The implications bother me. If he can resurect the recently deceased why play with "The Glove" in episode 1? It seems that our boy Jack is courting death, not sure I like that direction.

Thoughts?
    Mike

They do seem obsessed with kissing - at the same two Gwen and Owen were at it - or at least Owen was taking advantage of the situation - Gwen could hardly cry out the time.

As to Jack I thought his 'high energy' (remember the girl in episode 2 glowing) meant that his 'kiss of life' technique was a bit like electric shock to stimulate Ianto on the verge of death.

Cheers, daveac

Monday, November 06 2006 @ 10:59 AM EST
    Just been watching the episode again and noticed the gadget used by Toshiko to open the doors looks like the same one she used to scan a book in an earlier episode?

here

Cheers, daveac

Monday, November 06 2006 @ 11:21 AM EST
    [Quote  by:  daveac]x

Cheers, daveac

Sorry to follow myself again but just noticed after posted that BBC Three has reduced the size of the on-screen logo (DOG) - I know on the Digital Spy forum people have been complaining about it's size.

Here' an early picture at the same scale:-

Cheers, daveac

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed
    Words are censored