The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'In the Forest of the Night' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 26
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 315 - 'Flatline' Reviewed
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Flatline? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Flatline' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 19th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 314 - 'Mummy on the Orient Express' Reviewed
  • Music Video of 'Don't Stop Me Now' Performed by Foxes from Doctor Who 'Mummy on the Orient Express'
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Mummy on the Orient Express? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Mummy on the Orient Express' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 12th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 313 - 'Kill the Moon' Reviewed
  • The Curse Of The Black Tooth - Spoilers!

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Louis Interviews Patrick Troughton (1986)
    Louis Interviews Patrick Troughton (1986)
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  Torchwood - Series 1 »  Torchwood: (E04) Cyberwoman
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    Torchwood: (E04) Cyberwoman Views: 4886
     Monday, November 06 2006 @ 11:38 AM EST

It also seems more transparent as well.

Cheers,
    Louis

☛ Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LouisTrapani ♥ ♥
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Monday, November 06 2006 @ 01:01 PM EST

Flawed as it was, I think that this was the most engaging of the four episodes we have seen so far. I think we have not seen the last of the ramifications of the wiping out of Torchwood-London on this team. I think one of the problems is that there is a power vaccum in the organization after the events of Doctor Who: Doomsday, and I think that picking up the action after these events leaves Torchwood-Cardif basically up to their own devices (figuratively and literally). This then leads to a narrative flaw where there is a disconnect that we did not get to see onscreen. How were these people related? Well, we may have seen a first hint. Or maybe just the only thread. Time will tell.

Taras

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!

Monday, November 06 2006 @ 01:25 PM EST
    For those interested here's how our Cyberwoman (Caroline Chikezie) looks without being upgraded:-

here

Cheers, daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali

Monday, November 06 2006 @ 01:39 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  Louis]
    I can't say the same... I felt this was the weakest episode so far. Since we never got to know Ianto, I felt nothing for him and what he was going through. Perhaps it would have worked better if we got to know something of his relationship with Lisa during the series, via conversation or flashbacks... and we had assumed she died in Torchwood London... when suddenly it is revealed she is still alive and he has been hiding her... (this episode would probably have to be later in the series) perhaps it would have worked better for me.

I'm with you Louis, words do not exist to describe how bad I thought last nights episode was.

The first few episodes were quite entertaining and very stylish but lacking substance. Last night we saw that when you take away the style there's not a lot left to keep the rest of the show propped up.

The writing was cliched and juvenile. We were told that Torchwood would be an adult series but there's more to being adult than just adding in extra sex, violence and swearing. In an adult series the effects of plot on character and the characters on each other is important. What happens one week cannot just be ingored in the next episode. In this respect Doctor Who has proven itself to be far more mature and adult than Torchwood.

The production is very slick but when I compare the quality of the writing to other mature series like Spooks, Clocking Off, Murphy's Law or Ultraviolet it just doesn't stand up.

Mike

"There are some corners of the universe which have bred the most terrible things. Things which act against everything we believe in. They must be fought."
      Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, November 06 2006 @ 01:59 PM EST
    My best guess is that the Book Reader/Lock Pick must be an alien Swiss Army Knife. Cool And I am with Louis and MikeD on some of the analasis of ep4. There seems to be no forthought of action or any result of training in their behaviour. I don't want a Sci-Fi Soap. Rolling Eyes And I hope they (RTD and Co.) figure that out early in the run.

I'm a Time Traveler, I point and laugh at archaeologist.

Monday, November 06 2006 @ 06:52 PM EST
    I really enjoyed this episode!! haha!! Honestly, every single episode has had at least a couple of things that gave me a shocked/bewildered "HUH? What!!!" reaction and yet, I've still been liking the show. I mean, a pterodactyl fighting a robot lady? That's TV gold! hahaha!

Two things, though... One, I wonder if the male version of the halfcyberperson has an outrageously giant silver codpiece. I mean, her boobs were a little OTT, and fair is fair when it comes to absurd body exaggeration. Also, I do wish there had been a little golden glow when Jack was kissing what's-his-name (as if he was reviving him with his kiss energy like he did to that one possessed lass) but oh wellSmile

I'll tell you one thing - They're not afraid to kill off characters in this show. I thought Gwen was actually going to get it!

If Worzel Gummidge and the Third Doctor had a fist fight - who would win?

Monday, November 06 2006 @ 06:59 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  Magpie]
    Two things, though... One, I wonder if the male version of the halfcyberperson has an outrageously giant silver codpiece. I mean, her boobs were a little OTT, and fair is fair when it comes to absurd body exaggeration.

Well if you checked out the link I gave above you'll she the actress playing the Cyberwoman is definately in the Angelina Jolie mold.

Cheers, daveac

EDIT Here's a picture of the offending articles:-

here

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali

Monday, November 06 2006 @ 07:12 PM EST
    I didn't click on the link to see just how exaggerated (or not, I guess) her cyberbosom was... but you know, Angelina Jolie is known for her bust yet there aren't any mainstream actors who are known by their... ahem... *cough* bulge!

If Worzel Gummidge and the Third Doctor had a fist fight - who would win?

Monday, November 06 2006 @ 07:56 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  Magpie] I didn't click on the link to see just how exaggerated (or not, I guess) her cyberbosom was... but you know, Angelina Jolie is known for her bust yet there aren't any mainstream actors who are known by their... ahem... *cough* bulge!

I thought she was known for her huge lips!
    so are you saying size matters?

Heath Holland

Monday, November 06 2006 @ 08:36 PM EST
    Haven't been able to see the episode again but - on the subject of Jack kissing Ianto - is it possible that it was just a kiss of life? Was Ianto face down in the pool when Jack got to him? That would explain why there was no golden glow and why Jack hasn't used that resurrection kiss technique before.

Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, November 06 2006 @ 08:47 PM EST
    I'm a little frustrated with Torchwood. I like it but I really want to love it. The Cyberwoman episode had some good parts but it lacked the "wow factor" that I was hoping for. I still have a hard time thinking that you could smuggle something like that into the Torchwood basement without anyone every noticing it.

I feel that most of these episodes need a little more polishing. They've all had their moments but tend to underwhelm. I'm reminded a bit of the first season of STTNG, which I thought started a bit weak but later became an excellent program.

I've also noticed a bit of a trend where there's a problem and some never before seen alien tech saves the day. I like the idea of the team using the stuff but I'd like to see the use of it fit a bit more into the narrative. Maybe instead of showing Gwen guns, Captain Jack could have demonstrated some of the alien tech.

I'll keep watching and I'm hoping that soon I'll see that defining episode that I can point to and say, "That's Torchwood."

Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, November 06 2006 @ 09:23 PM EST
    Well I have to say that this was the best episode so far.

Yes it had some massive plot holes but the general concept was good and it had plenty of action. Then again I am not watching it wishing it was a Doctor Who episode which (reading some of the comments) I get the impression that many are.

Darth posed the question: Would we still be watching if it wasn't Dr. Who related?

I think another question should be: Would we be watching if Doctor Who had not returned?

And you know I think the answer is that a lot of us would? Why because it is a reasonable Sci Fi show and I think that if the Doctor hadn't returned many of us would be marking it higher than we are now. The fact is that Dr. Who has returned and returned with such a high standard that many of the posts are making a comparison.

If you think about it STTNG set such a high standard that DS9 was bound to fail.

Someone wrote that Torchwood is not to the same standard as Ultra Violet and I totally agree but then again Torchwood is not setting out to be Ultra Violet just as it is not setting out to be Doctor Who but because it comes from the same stable comparisons are made.

So far I have been in general agreement with comments made about earlier episodes although I feel that they have been overly harsh but this episode seems to be having a Love and Monsters effect where people seem to like it or hate it. I find it extremely interesting that the polarisation seems to have occured when a classic Doctor Who enemy entered the series.

Forget the shooty dog thing!

Monday, November 06 2006 @ 10:14 PM EST
    I enjoyed the episode but I have this question: What's up with all the spontaneous snogging in the series? I've been to London and have never seen such spontaneous snogging come up.

In all seriousness though: I like where the writers were trying to bring the show, but the nice little "wrap up" at the end just negates the entire episode. How could anyone expect to trust Ianto after all that happened in the episode? And all that's said is: "Do you think he'll stay?" Please.

Still, I did enjoy the episode anbd I tried my best to ignore all the normal sci-fi cliches.

Tuesday, November 07 2006 @ 01:52 AM EST
    I certainly thought this episode was the best of the series so far. I liked the quirkiness of the pterodactyl attacking lisa and the pizza lady lobotomy (perhaps a cranial screw-top would have been tidier).

Most annoying point for me was the high healed cyber boots (how can you make a decent cyberstomp noise in those). Reminds me of Betman Returns where Michelle Pfeiffer's high-heals disappeared when the stunt woman had to back flip in the store.

With those cyber-handles on her head I thought Lisa might break into "I'm a little teapot".

I still think the original episode title "the trouble with Lisa" was better than the more obvious "cyberwoman".

In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed are Kings
      Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, November 07 2006 @ 03:31 AM EST
    **Spoilers in message**

This one is a real mixed bag for me. I loved and loathed this episode. I kept going from one extreme to the next. I think that last week's episode resonated more with me. While I appreciated the idea of the failed Cyber upgrade, it still seemed odd that he could even hide it from them. With a team that small, how does anything go without the notice of the rest of the crew. That said, I appreciated the darker tone. Jack got to stretch a bit. I'm still under the impression that Gwen will snog anything with proper provocation!

I really don't like the pterodactyl. I can't help it. I just can't get into it. While I appreciated they used it for something, I'd be happier if this was their way of getting rid of it. Ianto's motivation for hiding her was really thin. His childish snapping at Jack just spoiled the relationship for me. You don't become a yes-man in an organization like that without having full loyalty. Again, it is a mixed bag though. I really liked how the climax played out with the alternate Lisa and the team.

If we were to rate these on the Who system, I'd say 2 1/2 groans. Like I said, parts of it were fantastic, but taken as a whole I'm not sure I can really say I like this one.

Profile    PM    Email   

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed
    Words are censored