The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • Peter Capaldi Being Interviewed by Craig Ferguson in 2009 [VIDEO]
  • Doctor Who Christmas Special 2014 Preview from BBC Children in Need
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 318 - 'Death in Heaven' Reviewed
  • Doctor Who Christmas Special 2014 Promo "Trailer" Video
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Death in Heaven? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Death in Heaven' Scheduled for Sunday, Nov 09
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 317 - 'Dark Water' Reviewed
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Dark Water? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Dark Water' Scheduled for Sunday, Nov 02
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 316 - 'In the Forest of the Night' Reviewed

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Dapol
    Dapol "Elimination Pack" Figures
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  Torchwood - Series 1 »  Torchwood (E05) Small Worlds (edit)
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    Torchwood (E05) Small Worlds (edit) Views: 2618
     Sunday, November 12 2006 @ 06:07 PM EST
    Firstly - no spoilers with my post:-

EDIT other posts that follow DO have spoilers!!!

I just think Torchwood has hit it's stride with this episode.

By far the best so far for me Big Grin

Cheers, daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Sunday, November 12 2006 @ 11:27 PM EST
    It was better than last week but it would have been tough to be worse. I found nothing majorly wrong with this episode but did think it was highly predictable and at times quite dull.

There were some nice Jack moments but the overall weakness of the characterization of the series as a whole still shines through. Good to see that the events of the last episode have had such a major impact on the team.

Mike

"There are some corners of the universe which have bred the most terrible things. Things which act against everything we believe in. They must be fought."
      Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, November 13 2006 @ 12:11 AM EST
    I agree the series is getting better week by week.

Some small spoilers here.

I think RTD is doing what STTNG did in its final couple of seasons. Focussing on the individual members of the team for an episode. In the last two or three seasons of STTNG we got things like Data's day or an episode centred around Worf and his son. Well they seem to be doing that here too we have had an episode around Gwen, Ianto and now Captain Jack. No real complaints about it, they show facets of the team that we would not see if the focus was on the team as a whole.

A couple of mistakes(?) that I noticed.

A couple of weeks ago CJ said that he didn't sleep yet at the start of this episode he seemed to be asleep and he was certainly dreaming.

In the flasback to India it showed CJ in 1909 and he seemed to be betwixt 20 and 25.

So how old would he have been when the Doctor and Rose met him in 1945? At least betwixt 45 to 50.

I know that there was some time travel in the in between period but given how old he looked in 1909 and how old he looked in 1941 he must have learned and traveled a lot in the 5 to 10 years of his actual againg. Just a thought or two.

P.s I think Captain Jack is away with the fairies (Old English expression.

Forget the shooty dog thing!

Monday, November 13 2006 @ 01:17 AM EST
    [Quote  by:  BadWolf]In the flasback to India it showed CJ in 1909 and he seemed to be betwixt 20 and 25.

Jack can (or could) travel in time so there is no reason to believe that he reamined on earth between 1909 and 1940 . Presumably he had popped in on a job and then left afterward.

Mike

"There are some corners of the universe which have bred the most terrible things. Things which act against everything we believe in. They must be fought."
      Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, November 13 2006 @ 02:51 AM EST
    Intresting tangle of ideas, lots better than last week.
    Many old thems tied togher nicely, with a reasonably new twist.
    Time bouncing elemental children taking their own.
    Couldn't avoid comparison to Raymond E. Fiest's novel
    Faerie Tale (a good read btw).

Starting to get a better feel for Jack's place in this, but we need
    to see a better timeline for his life get the dynamic.
    I'm going to try to get my thoughts in a better order for a follow up.

Cheers,
    Mike M.

I'm a Time Traveler, I point and laugh at archaeologist.

Monday, November 13 2006 @ 05:22 AM EST
    The best one so far. Started well but fell off towards the end.

The first episode of this series to actually have one or two interesting elements. Liked the flasback to Lahore in 1909 - an intriguing glimpse into Jack's life. Why was he there? HOW was he there?? Oooh, I'm suddenly interested! For the first time in 5 episodes! Big Grin

Liked the rose petals in the victims mouth too. A creepy touch.

I liked the old lady and her past connection with Jack too, from WWII. SO seemed a shame to kill off such a potentially interesting character so soon.

And the faeries were creepier when we hadn't really seen them. Like the shark from Jaws, it was always way scarier when we couldn't see it but knew it was there, somewhere. The CGI faeries were a bit of a rubber shark for me - scarier when we couldn't see them full on and were just flashes of movement in the corner of the eye.

But over all, best episode yet. The build up was good, the peadophile getting his just desserts was good. Not including the rest of the Torchwood team except Jack and Gwen for most of the episode was good. Keeping out of their underground base which I'm already bored with, was good.

Just didn't like the end so much - rubber shark faeries and some questionable acting from some of the cast Confused

If half the art of survival is running away, the other half is knowing when to keep a straight face.
      Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, November 13 2006 @ 08:53 AM EST
    [Quote  by:  BadWolf]
    A couple of mistakes(?) that I noticed.

A couple of weeks ago CJ said that he didn't sleep yet at the start of this episode he seemed to be asleep and he was certainly dreaming.

In the flasback to India it showed CJ in 1909 and he seemed to be betwixt 20 and 25.

He seemed to be having a nightmare - so maybe Jack means he daren't sleep or the he avoids sleeping.

In India we don't know if this happenned before or after the 51C but the fact that he is the only one alive on the train suggests that it 'happenned' to him after Rose changed him.

Getting back from the 51C he could have arrived on Earth almost anytime - but - if he arrived around 1900 then does that mean there were two of him in WWII? (one who lives from 1900 and one who arrives in a TimeShip) - and if he lived such a life from 1900 and not ageing how come to quote an earlier episode 'there is no record of a Captain Jack Harkness since WWII?

Hopefully this mystery will unravel with either this series or series 3 of Dr Who.

But still - all good stuff, daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali

Monday, November 13 2006 @ 01:18 PM EST

Thats what I mean. If Jack went back to the turn of the last century, there is no way he couldn't have found the Doctor if he wanted to (before 2007, when the series is supposably based). I'm cunfused that if a time agent is meerly ageless (or appears os) then why didn't he die on the train? The way he explaind it, it didn't sound like all 15 men were involved in the death of a "Chosen One". So what is RTD trying to say?

Monday, November 13 2006 @ 01:19 PM EST
    This is definitely the episode with which I have the least problems for the first 43 minutes.

It was a damn good setup. Lots of great performances throughout. Nice character moments with Jack. Fascinating bread crumbs tossed out on the central mystery.

But I'm not sure that the conclusion, if you wanna call it that, really worked to bring satisfying closure to that setup. The kid goes with the faeries and that's it? What was Torchwood needed for, then? Why not just take her from the start? What was the point of the killings? Torchwood were, at the end of the day, merely observing the inevitable.

This is the odd case of the story that keeps the bum in the seat for the whole of the show and then as the credits roll, you wonder what the hell just happened.

In terms of the full 45 minutes, most every episode has been more worthwhile. But right up to the 43-minute mark, I thought I was watching a home-run of an episode.

Niggling points
    Should the Jack's-his-own-father thing really been any kind of mystery for Gwen at this point? Granted, she immediately had suspicions about it all, but should that whole thing been more than a "Why lead her on? She believes in FAERIES, Jack. Surely she can accept that you've travelled in time."

What the hell was an American officer doing in Lahore in the very early 20th century? The deal about Jack being in London at the winter side of the Blitz was already a slight anachronism. But India in 1909? Don't get how he made up a cover story for that one . . .

Mara...reference to "Snakedance" and "Kinda" or just used in its mythological, German sense? EIther way works neatly; clever li'l line.

Why/how did the faeries target Gwen's home. How'd they even know where she lived? Why target her? An assault on Torchwood center—Jack's home—would've seemed more appropriate, I think.

"I think of myself as ambitious in casting terms, and I know that Bonnie [Langford] has the potential to make the part totally unirritating . . ." — JNT, 1986

Monday, November 13 2006 @ 01:51 PM EST
    One other early wierd thing, given what we know of Owen's personality... Wink

The fact that the woman had just lost her husband, was probably about to loose her daughter.
    And with what happened during her 5 anaversary party she will surley become the neighborhood periha. Cry

These small facts would never stop the Owen that we have come to know and be indefferent about
    from groping her Dalek Bumps Eek! when he grabs her from behind.

Monday, November 13 2006 @ 02:15 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  daveac]
    He seemed to be having a nightmare - so maybe Jack means he daren't sleep or the he avoids sleeping.

Must add my voice- this is definitely more like it! Big Grin

I took the opening sequence with Jack to be more of a daydream than an actual sleeping dream. Maybe he catnaps or fades out once in a while, but doesn't every really sleep. Dunno- just a thought.

Did you say "74,384,338 to 1 against"? That's my lucky number!
      Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, November 13 2006 @ 03:15 PM EST
    Did a little research and figured out that the "Mara" reference has nothing to do with "Kinda" or "Snakedance".

"I think of myself as ambitious in casting terms, and I know that Bonnie [Langford] has the potential to make the part totally unirritating . . ." — JNT, 1986

Monday, November 13 2006 @ 06:32 PM EST

Some things are meant to be a mystery. We are not supposed to know why the færies take the chosen ones when they do. This is one of the reasons why I liked this story more than the previous ones. There is an element of mystery and wonder. It is by far the best story of the series so far, though it could have been better, we see that quality writing can work for this series. I hope that the rest of the series can meet exceed this.

Taras

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!

Monday, November 13 2006 @ 08:26 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  DarthSkeptical]
    Should the Jack's-his-own-father thing really been any kind of mystery for Gwen at this point? Granted, she immediately had suspicions about it all, but should that whole thing been more than a "Why lead her on? She believes in FAERIES, Jack. Surely she can accept that you've travelled in time."

LOL!! you're so right! hahahaha

Great episode. Visually I liked seeing things happen in the sunshine - not all mysterious things happen at night in the dark & rain.

If Worzel Gummidge and the Third Doctor had a fist fight - who would win?

Tuesday, November 14 2006 @ 12:58 AM EST

What DarthSkeptical wrote about this episode pretty much sums up my feelings as well.

I didn't really buy the concept of the faeries... I wouldn't have had a problem with it if I was watching a classic Night Stalker episode or even the X-Files rather than in the Doctor Who established reality... but it wasn't as bad as a talking cement slab, so I was able to suspend my disbelief enough to enjoy it for what it is... That is not to say it wouldn't have worked better for me if they spent a little more time legitimatizing them a bit more.

This brings me to the ending... I wish there was more time spent with the little girl (I can't recall her name) and her relationship with the faeries outside of them simply being her bodyguard and protector. She says she wants to go and live with them, but why? Sure, perhaps she may feel like that today, but tomorrow she will probably be aching for Mum, her cooking, and being home... If I felt she truly had a real connection with them... and that it offered a future for her that she felt was truly better than her life at home (especially since her step-dad is now out of the way)... I would have more satisfied with the ending.

Speaking of her step-dad... I didn't get why the faery was fisting him in the mouth... What was up with that? Seeing the DeClassified companion episode for this story, it is revealed that the faery was suffocating him... but to me he seemed like he was trying to fish something out of his throat or something.

I agree with those that said it may have been better if the faeries kept out of plain view... as good as the CGI may have been, they may have worked better by keeping them in a shroud of mystery or darkness.

All my other comments echo what DarthSkeptical had already pointed out above, so I won't repeat them except saying that I thought the ending was a bit weak. Perhaps this may have worked better as a 2-part story... they could have perhaps gone more into the relationship between Jack and the older woman character as well. Perhaps having her realize that the person she loved and Jack are one and the same before she died.

So even with all its problems, it is probably the strongest episode so far... but still not perfect.

Cheers,
    Louis

☛ Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LouisTrapani ♥ ♥

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic