The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: The Caretaker? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'The Caretaker' Scheduled for Sunday, Sept 28th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 311 - 'Time Heist' Reviewed
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Time Heist' Scheduled for Sunday, Sept 21st
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Time Heist? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 310 - 'Listen' Reviewed
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Listen? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Listen' Scheduled for Sunday, Sept 14th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 309 - 'Robot of Sherwood' Reviewed
  • Patrick Troughton as Robin Hood Seen in 'Robot of Sherwood'

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  

Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  Torchwood - Series 1 »  Torchwood (E05) Small Worlds (edit)
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    Torchwood (E05) Small Worlds (edit) Views: 2569
     Tuesday, November 14 2006 @ 03:57 AM EST
    Nice episode. I've seen the petals-in-mouth motif before, but I can't think where.

Minus several points for suggesting that Houdini believed in the Cottingly Fairies, though. Tsk.

(several points out of a hundred, that is. Not out of ten)

Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, November 14 2006 @ 07:20 AM EST
    [Quote  by:  Louis]

What DarthSkeptical wrote about this episode pretty much sums up my feelings as well.

I didn't really buy the concept of the faeries... I wouldn't have had a problem with it if I was watching a classic Night Stalker episode or even the X-Files rather than in the Doctor Who established reality... but it wasn't as bad as a talking cement slab, so I was able to suspend my disbelief enough to enjoy it for what it is... That is not to say it wouldn't have worked better for me if they spent a little more time legitimatizing them a bit more.

This brings me to the ending... I wish there was more time spent with the little girl (I can't recall her name) and her relationship with the faeries outside of them simply being her bodyguard and protector. She says she wants to go and live with them, but why? Sure, perhaps she may feel like that today, but tomorrow she will probably be aching for Mum, her cooking, and being home... If I felt she truly had a real connection with them... and that it offered a future for her that she felt was truly better than her life at home (especially since her step-dad is now out of the way)... I would have more satisfied with the ending.

Speaking of her step-dad... I didn't get why the faery was fisting him in the mouth... What was up with that? Seeing the DeClassified companion episode for this story, it is revealed that the faery was suffocating him... but to me he seemed like he was trying to fish something out of his throat or something.

I agree with those that said it may have been better if the faeries kept out of plain view... as good as the CGI may have been, they may have worked better by keeping them in a shroud of mystery or darkness.

All my other comments echo what DarthSkeptical had already pointed out above, so I won't repeat them except saying that I thought the ending was a bit weak. Perhaps this may have worked better as a 2-part story... they could have perhaps gone more into the relationship between Jack and the older woman character as well. Perhaps having her realize that the person she loved and Jack are one and the same before she died.

So even with all its problems, it is probably the strongest episode so far... but still not perfect.

Cheers,
    Louis

'...but still not perfect.'

Hey Louis, I don't even expect perfection from Doctor Who let alone a series that's just had 5 stories!

But there were some small problems that's for sure.

The 'hand down the throat' I thought that was jamming the rose petals right down....remember the other man he survived the first time with the rose petals (when he was running around the market coughing them up) so I guess they needed to force them right down his throat.

'This brings me to the ending... I wish there was more time spent with the little girl (I can't recall her name) and her relationship with the faeries outside of them simply being her bodyguard and protector. She says she wants to go and live with them, but why?'

I thought Captain Jack says she was born a chosen one - and that time was no barrier to the faeries - and thats why in the photgraph at the end the girl was shown to be one of the faeries 'for all time' ie. she always WAS one.

I also think they wanted a story were they don't win - and if this had been of the alien invasion kind - then if Torchwood didn't win - well it would be the end of the saga!

This way they could 'lose' and yet the 'protecting us from aliens' - and the series - can continue.

I think it was OK as a one-parter but I agree that it was a pity the old lady had to die.

I think she could have been used later on in the series to give us more insight as to Jack's story - however I suppose we could have an episode later on where we see her as a young girl with Jack.

So not perfect - but much better than earlier episodes for me.

Cheers, daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Tuesday, November 14 2006 @ 08:17 AM EST
    Right !

My major gripe about this episode actually comes from last week's trail.

I preferred the trail to the actual episode.

Worrying now that next week will have the same effect.

Having said that I can't actually remember the trial for next week.

This show is having less and less and impact as time goes on. I give it two weeks before I tune out.

iThankyou

*********************************************************** "Rubber Soles - Swear by them!"

Tuesday, November 14 2006 @ 08:30 AM EST
    [Quote  by:  whodovoodoo] Right !

This show is having less and less and impact as time goes on. I give it two weeks before I tune out.

iThankyou

Without trying to tell you what to do - wouldn't it be better - at least for a couple of weeks - is to skip the trailer - which may allow you to enjoy the 'surprise' episode more.

Cheers, daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali

Tuesday, November 14 2006 @ 08:55 AM EST
    Initially I think I had a problem with Torchwood as a vechicle for a Fairie story as well. But looking through my cultural goggles it's no diffrent than an American Sci-Fi story about Bigfoot or to a lesser extent the Loch-Ness Monster. Pulling from stories of the unexplained or from ancient literature appeals to the creepy inner child of most viewers. We in the states (unless you study mythology) are somewhat insulated from the infulence of ancient tales of the Fae folk. And in most of those tales the Fae had their own motivations that were rarely benovelent. So in the end yes I agree the CGI was overdone but we got several glimpses into Jack's nature if not his past and motivation. The stories are getting stronger but the background characters are getting burried in the background.

It's getting better, still room to grow...
    Cheers,
    Mike M.

I'm a Time Traveler, I point and laugh at archaeologist.

Tuesday, November 14 2006 @ 12:01 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  daveac]
    [Quote  by:  whodovoodoo] Right !

iThankyou

Without trying to tell you what to do - wouldn't it be better - at least for a couple of weeks - is to skip the trailer - which may allow you to enjoy the 'surprise' episode more.

Cheers, daveac

Wise as always daveac - I'm a glutton for punishment and have no will power. I think the point I'm hitting at is that the expectation of the next episode never lives up to how I feel it is portrayed in the trail, or more that the trails advertise something different to what we're actually getting.

For example with this week's episode I expected ( based on the trailer) that we would be spending more time in flash back, more time on the relationship Jack and bit of stuff and less time on a less than engaging fairy plot-line. I felt that the advertised plot was sacrificed half way through when Estelle died in a less than dramatic climax. To that extent I felt a bit cheated.

Simple answer - stop hoping and just watch it I suppose .

*********************************************************** "Rubber Soles - Swear by them!"

Tuesday, November 14 2006 @ 12:09 PM EST

This brings me to the ending... I wish there was more time spent with the little girl (I can't recall her name) and her relationship with the faeries outside of them simply being her bodyguard and protector. She says she wants to go and live with them, but why? Sure, perhaps she may feel like that today, but tomorrow she will probably be aching for Mum, her cooking, and being home... If I felt she truly had a real connection with them... and that it offered a future for her that she felt was truly better than her life at home (especially since her step-dad is now out of the way)... I would have more satisfied with the ending.

I may be wrong, but my wife says that the faeries actually sire one child in a generation... and come to get it when the child is old enough. Maybe that's the connection? (Of course, this wasn't mentioned in the episode.)

Did you say "74,384,338 to 1 against"? That's my lucky number!
      Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, November 14 2006 @ 12:44 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  rocko]

I may be wrong, but my wife says that the faeries actually sire one child in a generation... and come to get it when the child is old enough. Maybe that's the connection? (Of course, this wasn't mentioned in the episode.)

Well these apparently are Mara (Buda Faeries Question ) so I don't think some of the old myths apply except to scare kids of all ages that were steeped in myth and legend. It's something that tickels the back of your brain as in a half remembered dream. These Faeries appear to select the chosen via proxemity, she lives near the stones and plays there. You could start an entire subthread for myths in Doctor Who covering Egyptian, Greek, Norse, German, etc. about the only myths not addressed so far are Native American and some of the shapeshifting and snake baddies over the years may have borrowed a bit more subtiley from them without the proper name. It goes to the root of storytelling, the spooky campfire tradition is alive and well in 2006.

I'm a Time Traveler, I point and laugh at archaeologist.

Tuesday, November 14 2006 @ 01:38 PM EST
    Favorite ep so far... not saying much, I know. But --

I do wish it had been split into two episodes: the first about Jack and Estelle, the second about Jasmine and the Faeries. It just seemed there wasn't enough time spent on either, even though it was the same story.

Re: Jack in Lahore. I'm with Daveac on this. I assumed that when Jack came back from 51C, he didn't hit precisely where he wanted to be, so he just kept out of the way until he reached the proper timeline (didn't need to polute the current line by meeting the Doctor prior to when he was supposed to, you know? sort of The Girl in the Fireplace aspect of "we are now part of this timeline..."), so he hied himself off to Colonial India to wait it out. I don't think he was in Lahore prior to meeting the Doctor, only because he was a rogue time agent, I don't believe he would have gotten involved with people enough to have his own "troops." I also cannot see the rogue Jack actually falling in love with someone, but that's me. So, until we hear otherwise, I'm assuming that Jack has been waiting for the Doctor for quite a bit.

As to his sleeping or lack there of. When he had said "I don't sleep," before, I assumed he was not being literal, more that it is making a statement about his lack of life.

Anyway, I really liked the first 40 minutes of the episode, and then I just thought "what?" But, I am intrigued enough to continue acquiring these eps.

As to trailers, after watching the trailer for ep 6, I think I'll avoid all future trailers. I'm not a fan of horror, and that's what the trailer made the next ep seem like. So, since we know the Torchwood trailers are like ordinary US TV trailers (what you see in the trailer has nothing to do with what actually happens in the show), I'll just stop watching prior to these coming on.

supremacy is relative
      Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, November 14 2006 @ 03:55 PM EST
    I should say that I have this episode ready to watch, and have since Sunday, but I just can't get the excitement up to watch it.

Heath Holland

Tuesday, November 14 2006 @ 04:51 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  mad4plaid]Re: Jack in Lahore. I'm with Daveac on this. I assumed that when Jack came back from 51C, he didn't hit precisely where he wanted to be, so he just kept out of the way until he reached the proper timeline (didn't need to polute the current line by meeting the Doctor prior to when he was supposed to, you know? sort of The Girl in the Fireplace aspect of "we are now part of this timeline..."), so he hied himself off to Colonial India to wait it out. I don't think he was in Lahore prior to meeting the Doctor, only because he was a rogue time agent, I don't believe he would have gotten involved with people enough to have his own "troops." I also cannot see the rogue Jack actually falling in love with someone, but that's me. So, until we hear otherwise, I'm assuming that Jack has been waiting for the Doctor for quite a bit. .
    Actually, it turns out that the Lahore was indeed a Time Agent mission, pre-dating Jack's involvement with the Doctor. According to this in-continuity letter on the Torchwood website, his presence in India was all part of a scam to steal diamonds.

I think the regret he expresses in this episode for his troops in Lahore is a retrospective one. At the time, he was probably more cavalier about it all, but since encountering the Doctor, he has increasingly grown compassionate towards his fellow beings. In "Small Worlds", we're looking at the Jack of today remembering, coloring and narrating events of the past. We're not getting an account from the Jack of yesterday.

"I think of myself as ambitious in casting terms, and I know that Bonnie [Langford] has the potential to make the part totally unirritating . . ." JNT, 1986

Tuesday, November 14 2006 @ 08:58 PM EST
    This is a small criticism, but surely they could have found a less teenage girl handwriting font for that letter.

If Worzel Gummidge and the Third Doctor had a fist fight - who would win?

Monday, November 20 2006 @ 07:34 AM EST
    Just spotted this!
    I wondered where I'd seen those demonic pig tails before!

Screen Capture from "The Idiot's Lantern":
    Click to enlarge

Monday, November 20 2006 @ 08:13 AM EST
    So this one's focus on a mythical creature, it becomes more like "The X-Files" which isn't really a bad thing.

I thought the CGI was very shoddy in this one. The compositing was poor in comparison to, say, "Father's Day", which had demonic dragons accosting live action actors. The lighting was far better.

But that's a niggle... nothing serious. Still a good episode.

Some points:

1) Jack's relationship with the old woman. Someone's been watching "Highlander: The Series". The very first episode I ever saw was about a very old female photographer who had photos of Duncan from decades ago. Turns out she had had a love affair with him in the 1930s or 1940s. Then she saw him at the show. This was more or less taken directly from that. But hey, not much is really original.

2) Trailers. Don't watch. Seriously. I even find myself closing my eyes after the opening of "Battlestar Galactica" these days because that's when they flash a quick montage of events that will happen in that episode. I don't want to see that. So I don't. Trailers can ruin a show for you.

3) Louis wrote that he wouldn't have had a problem if it was "Night Stalker" or "X-Files" but in the Doctor Who Universe, Faeries don't exist... uh... I thought the whole point was that the Rift was bringing in all sorts of aliens, and they take all forms and can do many things. Torchwood isn't hiding the fact that they're trying to fill a void left achingly empty after "The X-Files", and this kind of story is fine by me. Keep in mind the Doctor has encountered many mythical creatures who simply turned out to be aliens in a strange form. Gods even.

4) This episode was written by P. J. Hammond, of "Sapphire and Steel" fame. Those episodes are seriously moody, and don't always make the most sense. But they're great TV watching.

5) Darth Skeptical says "The kid goes with the faeries and that's it?" Well, yeah. They get what they came for, and the rest of humanity is left alone. I thought that was made clear. Why was Torchwood needed? Why was Mulder needed for so many of those X-Files episodes? Especially for those in which the mysterious villain got what he wanted and escaped leaving Mulder and Scully to try to explain things. Torchwood is an investigative organization looking for alien life and technology in order to defent humanity from the increasing attention it's going to get from the universe out there after the Sycrax encounter. What's to explain?

6) I thought the relationship with the step-father to have been portrayed well. I thought the character of the daughter was excellent.

All in all a good episode. Perhaps not as good as #6... but that's for another thread...

Sean.

One solid hope is worth a cartload of uncertainties.

Monday, November 20 2006 @ 03:13 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  seanhuxter] 1) Jack's relationship with the old woman. Someone's been watching "Highlander: The Series". The very first episode I ever saw was about a very old female photographer who had photos of Duncan from decades ago. Turns out she had had a love affair with him in the 1930s or 1940s. Then she saw him at the show. This was more or less taken directly from that. But hey, not much is really original.

Because of Jack's status as immortal these days, I'm guessing a lot of things are going to remind us of Highlander. I've been reminded of that TV show (and the movies to a lesser degree) since the first two episodes. (see earlier threads for these thoughts - no need to rehash here.

supremacy is relative
      Profile    PM    Email   

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed