The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing the 2014 Series Scheduled for Sunday, Nov 30
  • Peter Capaldi Being Interviewed by Craig Ferguson in 2009 [VIDEO]
  • Doctor Who Christmas Special 2014 Preview from BBC Children in Need
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 318 - 'Death in Heaven' Reviewed
  • Doctor Who Christmas Special 2014 Promo "Trailer" Video
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Death in Heaven? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Death in Heaven' Scheduled for Sunday, Nov 09
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 317 - 'Dark Water' Reviewed
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Dark Water? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Dark Water' Scheduled for Sunday, Nov 02

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Eugene Washington
    Eugene Washington
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  Torchwood - Series 1 »  Torchwood (E06) Countrycide
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    Torchwood (E06) Countrycide Views: 2699
     Monday, November 20 2006 @ 01:45 AM EST

Standard warning. This thread assumes you have seen this episode as messages here may contain spoilers.

(spoiler space)

Nothing interesting here.. Move along, move along... Neutral

Here was a great opportunity to revisit the Androgums... Perhaps some trashy Androgums find their way through the rift and set up a little restaurant in the hills or a holiday feast for the extended family or whatever.

Instead what we got was far less interesting. We've seen this in various horror films over the years, haven't we? Why do it again here? Even the Declassified companion episode for this story says that it was their version of The Hill Has Eyes or something. It also admitted that it was less horrifying by showing the gore and guts. Yeah, that is what I was saying as well watching it... that it would have been scarier not to show as much as they did. Once again, it seemed like they showed what they showed simply because they could, not that it helped the storytelling.

I was bored, not scared.

It seems the whole story was simply a device to get Gwen and Owen together.

Give me a little Shockeye and I would at least be a bit more entertained... and probably a bit frightened at least.

Last week's outing was much stronger... even though it may not have paid off in the end of it as much.

Cheers,
    Louis

☛ Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LouisTrapani ♥ ♥
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Monday, November 20 2006 @ 01:57 AM EST
    Well, that was sleep inducing, I barely got through it and in the end (apart from the Owen/Gwen thing, YUCK!) no suprise twist.
    We must hold them to task on this one. Jack the imortal lets the mortals go first through the dangerous doors, and is afraid of
    geting HEP. from a bad burger Rolling Eyes I expected him to eat it with a smile. If anyone out there really liked it, I appoligize.

Please focus RTD,
    Mike M.

I'm a Time Traveler, I point and laugh at archaeologist.

Monday, November 20 2006 @ 05:02 AM EST
    I didn't watch it, admittedly partly because my Saturday night had been so hectic, I was reeeeally tired and fell asleep early, but also partly because I've given Torchwood a chance and it hasn't proved to be essential viewing. It hasn't won my loyalty and I won't be viewing automatically anymore.

I'm just going to wait til Monday, check this forum and see what the reaction to the episode was like as to whether I catch the rerun on Wednesday.

Judging from what's been said here, it looks like I won't be doing that this week... Cry

If half the art of survival is running away, the other half is knowing when to keep a straight face.
      Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, November 20 2006 @ 06:40 AM EST
    [Quote  by:  old china]
    Judging from what's been said here, it looks like I won't be doing that this week... Cry

I'm utterly in the other camp on this one! (surprised? I know I am)

For the first time in this series I was engaged all the way through. I couldn't find any 'gaping' plot holes. The characters seem to have the presence of mind to remember what had happened the weeks before! I felt for Ianto and even Tosh who seems to have some depth to her character all of a sudden.

Steller performances from some of our best British charater actors - most notably Owen Teale. Most impressively, and I believe for the better, all the characters were used in equal balance, Jack was the hero of the hour, we can see a change in Gwen (I have no problem with Owen and her being together, and actaully quite like them as a couple), Tosh was cleverly used, we saw Own pull out his Doctoring skills (which had so far been pointless), and I'm all for more Ianto screen time.

Yes, Jack not eating the burger was incongruous - but only Gwen knows about his immortality. Maybe he just doesn't want to push his luck (there have been discussions that his immortality may not be infinite) it can't be pleasant getting HEP (!) and he was killed twice two episodes again - personally I wouldn't want to risk it unless someone's life was in danger.

I absolutely loved the fact that the team went looking for aliens and found instead a more horrific bunch of humans to contend with.

I thought is was well filmed, tense and well acted; harkenning back in tone to some of the best moments of 28 Days Later and the first Texas Chainsaw Massacre; and with moments of 'Brits trapped in a pub' which utterly endered me ( we brits do 'trapped in a pub' best! - re: Shaun of the Dead).

Yes - nothing dramatically new in terms of the story telling - but I have yet to come accross a story such as this one where the expectation is set that the perpetrators of the horror are alien and turn out not to be - I thought this was a refreshing take on films such as Jeepers Creepers.

Over all this is the first time I sat down to watch with low expectations, and left feeling pleased I tuned in. Not only that I found myself not constantly thinking 'this is Torchwood' - the show, for the first time, rose above the associations with Who and came off I think for the better because of it (for now).

I would actually recommend this is watched!! And I would recommend it to people who have yet to watch Torchwood as a good 'in', a soft barrier between "standard" drama and something a bit more Whoniverse.

Few final notes -
    Chris Chimball will be writing for WHO Series 3 and I am Very Glad about this - anticipating a very interesting episode.
    Essay over for this week peeps. Catch you later

(5 weeks to go till Christmas!!!!)

*********************************************************** "Rubber Soles - Swear by them!"

Monday, November 20 2006 @ 08:23 AM EST
    I'm with whoodoodoododoovoovodoo on this one. And surprisingly against Louis again (No offense, mate, it just seems to be happening a lot since Elton graced our screens.)

The twist at the end was that the aliens weren't. That was the twist. And it worked.

When it comes down to it the most monsterous beings on Earth are us.

I think that was the point of the episode, and it was perfectly portrayed.

I thought the tension and danger were well paced and timed. I thought the story to be well-executed, and the payoff was a good one.

The only thing that didn't ring true to me was the final scene with Gwen and Owen. That just didn't feel right. But it shows that we really can't stereotype the characters. Real people are complicated, and this just might be what a real human would have done.

Some points so far:

1) Merlin McCarley said he expected Jack to just eat the burger after hearing he could get Hepatitis... but while Jack has proven he can come back to live after dying (or not really dying at all) I'm sure he doesn't want to catch Hepatitis and go through the whole disease only to die and come back fine... (we don't know that would happen, but perhaps he doesn't either?) Just because Captain Scarlet is immortal doesn't mean he may voluntarily contract AIDS or Cancer. It still means suffering and pain. I wouldn't volunteer for that.

2) This one had the claustrophobic feel of "Dog Soldiers". And the excellent thing was the monsters were... just human. It also kind of felt like "The Wicker Man". I can't complain about this one at all. Perfect mood. Good pacing. Nice payoff. And as Whodovoodoo said, very "Shaun of the Dead" with the being trapped in the pub.

3) I didn't watch any trailers for next week (not sure if they were on my red-eye flight) but I'm really looking forward to it if this is the calibre of episode of late.

So far, Torchwood is delivering up to my expectations with only a few things that I didn't like in the first 6 episodes.

Sean.

One solid hope is worth a cartload of uncertainties.

Monday, November 20 2006 @ 09:10 AM EST
    While well acted, the plot was boring. A lot of suspense that led up to nothing. "The monsters turn out to be human" was not a surprise at all (e.g., The Village, almost every episode of The Twilight Zone, etc.). I was glad to learn a tiny bit more about Tosh and Owen, but I totally don't buy the whole Gwen/Owen relationship. Anyone feel bad for Reese? Anyone notice the little sideward glances cast on them jealously by Jack?

Just my $0.02.

Did you say "74,384,338 to 1 against"? That's my lucky number!
      Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, November 20 2006 @ 01:25 PM EST
    I supose, in part, my problem with the burger is that since he is from the 51st. century (born then or not Wink ) I expect his immune
    system can probably handle most of the common diseases of the eras he had to travel to. What did you peeps think about the
    fact that he is quite good at torture (it was part of his old job)? Either a Time Agent's job description is diffrent than my expations
    or he remembers some other vocation he used to practice.

Monday, November 20 2006 @ 08:01 PM EST
    I guess I'm on the side of liking this one. While it had some familiar elements (reminded me a bit of the X-Files), I was entertained. Overall, I think the quality of the past three episodes has improved. I was glad to see that's there's still some fallout from the Cyberwoman episode with the characters.

I'm enjoying the series but right now I probably would not pick it up on DVD (and I have a good selection of DW DVDs). There something missing from the program that would make it "TV magic" for me. I hope it gets worked out.

The Gwen scene at the end was a bit of a surprise and had me scratching my head a bit.

Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, November 20 2006 @ 08:09 PM EST
    You know what?

I'm just back on internet access for the first time in a few days and it has suddenly occurred to me that:

(a) I'd plain forgotten to watch episode 5 of Torchwood after I procured it last week; and

(b) I really can't be bothered getting ep 6.

That makes me feel quite glum.

Monday, November 20 2006 @ 08:48 PM EST
    Well, except for the "trapped in the pub" scene (re: Shaun of the Dead), it wasn't really a redo for me. I hate horror and don't watch it. But I figured everyone would live, so no worries.

And now that they've set up Tosh to have an unrequitted love-thing for Owen and Owen and Gwen are shacking up, I'm not sure how I feel. I like the Tosh story line (except for her taste in men), but Gwen going for him... that shocks me. Because NOW I'm watching Desparate Housewives Do Wales at the Rift, or something.

Grips (other than the bedroom antics which typically detract from shows in my mind) are the fact that they are TORCHWOOD! And they have keys to their cars? Why don't they have some biometric scan? They are TORCHWOOD! And they don't have communication devices that can work in rural Wales, so they've no way to communicate with each other?

Like the Ianto expansion -- and the fact that they didn't just let the Lisa story line drop completely -- nice to see that he's not just the mopping up boy.

supremacy is relative
      Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, November 20 2006 @ 10:46 PM EST

Though this story was derivative, it was executed very well. I liked the tension and the application of the action. I had suspected from the beginning that the antagonists were human, but started having doubts with the speed of the dispatch of our heroes. High marks for excecution, average (just about) for originality.

The burger scene was challenging the viewer to consider that "Meat Is Murder".

Taras

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!

Monday, November 20 2006 @ 11:38 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  tarashnat]The burger scene was challenging the viewer to consider that "Meat Is Murder".

Taras

Taras, to me the Hamburger scene was meant to introduce how they're using the human meat. To me there's no question the burgers were made of human.

Sean.

One solid hope is worth a cartload of uncertainties.

Monday, November 20 2006 @ 11:59 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  seanhuxter]
    [Quote  by:  tarashnat]The burger scene was challenging the viewer to consider that "Meat Is Murder".

Taras

Taras, to me the Hamburger scene was meant to introduce how they're using the human meat. To me there's no question the burgers were made of human.

Sean.

Ok, I really meant the burger thing as an aside. But if we must go there... Wink

Everyone knows that human meat is only good for jerky. See Motel Hell for a better treatment of this bizarre premise.

RTD wanted this episode to be "The Hills Have Eyes", but instead he got a bad "Motel Hell".

Tuesday, November 21 2006 @ 01:29 AM EST
    [Quote  by:  seanhuxter] I'm with whoodoodoododoovoovodoo on this one. And surprisingly against Louis again (No offense, mate, it just seems to be happening a lot since Elton graced our screens.)

The twist at the end was that the aliens weren't. That was the twist. And it worked.

When it comes down to it the most monsterous beings on Earth are us.

I think that was the point of the episode, and it was perfectly portrayed.

I thought the tension and danger were well paced and timed. I thought the story to be well-executed, and the payoff was a good one.

The only thing that didn't ring true to me was the final scene with Gwen and Owen. That just didn't feel right. But it shows that we really can't stereotype the characters. Real people are complicated, and this just might be what a real human would have done.

Hey no offense taken Sean. I enjoy the differing opinions. Perhaps I can be enlightened with seeing something from a different angle or take from someone with an opposing point of view.

Elton? Now, that was a horror story! Wink

I don't mind that the antagonists in this story turned out to be human, but I do wish that there was some unearthly or unworldly element that played a part in it somewhere. The fact of the matter is part of the reason I watch shows like Torchwood and Doctor Who is for the escapism. I get my fill of "humans are monsters" just by watching the news everyday. Which I do. Plus, in my professional life I happen to come in contact with friends and associates that are in the fields of domestic violence and child protective services, EMS, etc... and real life is horrific enough. My own personal real life I find to be my own horror story. For my entertainment, I rather get away from that fare and hopefully find something that has a sense of wonder and excitement within it... I did not get any of that watching this episode of Torchwood.

I would have been just as bored if the ensemble cast encountered a tax audit as I was with them encountering demented and disturbed humans and it probably would have been scarier. If I want Jeffrey Dahmer, all I need to do is turn on the news or intentionally watch a movie or documentary about the topic -- or a horror movie that would explore the topic. I expect something different from a science fiction series. And that is what I thought Torchwood was going to be, a science fiction series albeit darker than Doctor Who, but still science fiction.

Since they "diffused" the horror in this episode by showing all the gore (as it would be scarier if they didn't show everything)... I was not feeling the horror... just the boredom. As I said in a previous post, I felt that they went out of the way to show the gore just because they could, not because it added to the storytelling. The only thing of interest was the developing relationship between Gwen and Owen. I am not sure if I believe it, but it was the most interesting element for me.

Cheers,
    Louis

☛ Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LouisTrapani ♥ ♥

Tuesday, November 21 2006 @ 05:03 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  tarashnat] The burger scene was challenging the viewer to consider that "Meat Is Murder".

Taras

Thanks - now I've got some song by The Smiths running through my head (Morrissey whining so lovely....)

supremacy is relative
      Profile    PM    Email   

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed