The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: In the Forest of the Night? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'In the Forest of the Night' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 26
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 315 - 'Flatline' Reviewed
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Flatline? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Flatline' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 19th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 314 - 'Mummy on the Orient Express' Reviewed
  • Music Video of 'Don't Stop Me Now' Performed by Foxes from Doctor Who 'Mummy on the Orient Express'
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Mummy on the Orient Express? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Mummy on the Orient Express' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 12th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 313 - 'Kill the Moon' Reviewed

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Travis' Brother with the Cast and Crew at Gallifrey 2006
    Travis' Brother with the Cast and Crew at Gallifrey 2006
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  Torchwood - Series 1 »  Torchwood (E07) Greeks Bearing Gifts
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    Torchwood (E07) Greeks Bearing Gifts Views: 2070
     Sunday, November 26 2006 @ 11:57 PM EST
    Standard warning. This thread assumes you have seen this episode as messages here may contain spoilers.

(Spoiler Space)

Ok, I admit it, I actually liked this one. Yes it is a rehash we have seen before. No suprise there, but
    apart from the High School Hijinks at the beginning the story actually progressed in a nice manner.
    I still don't like Owen and the implications of Tosh not being able to read Jack are too numerous for
    me to go into at this time. And finally Tosh gets some screen time to develop, although her chatting
    about Torchwood to a total stranger is far fetched.

Perhaps this one will produce more than 2 pages of posts Wink .

Cheers,
    Mike M.

I'm a Time Traveler, I point and laugh at archaeologist.
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Monday, November 27 2006 @ 12:45 AM EST

Finally, an episode focussing on Tosh. The obligatory same sex kiss. An alien that looks like Destrii/Izzy out of the Doctor Who Magazine Eighth Doctor comic strips. A Xanadu reference... Oh, and an alien that will steal your heart... in more ways than one!

A solid thought provoking episode. We haven't seen much as far as original story lines in this series, but the last three episodes have been good. The writing/tone is a bit more mature than the first few, but it is still not living up to the hype. At least the show has gotten out of its rut.

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!

Monday, November 27 2006 @ 01:26 AM EST

Yes, I enjoyed this episode... I would say this is my favourite so far of the series. Though not without flaws, they were not insurmountable.

The basic premise of reading others thoughts have been explored before, and it immediately reminded me of the classic Twilight Zone episode, A Penny for Your Thoughts. In the 1961 story which had Dick York playing a character that for a period of time was able to hear other people's thoughts (just like Tosh here with the pendant)... though he discovers that people's thoughts are not always reflective of their true feelings or motives. I thought we might get a similar lesson here in this episode of Torchwood, with Tosh learning people don't always mean what they think. Perhaps she does in the end, but it was not so clearly drawn out, which is fine. I think I would have been disappointed if it followed the Zone story too much.

I predicted that she would not be able to reads Jack's thoughts... The line at the end when she makes a comparison that it was like he was dead really stung Jack... I wonder if he knows he died or not.

Cheers,
    Louis

☛ Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LouisTrapani ♥ ♥

Monday, November 27 2006 @ 04:57 AM EST
    Wait a minute here....[grunt]...have to...dig out my...handy...patent pending..."What did I think of Torchwood" Flip chart and random plot generator...

It's a bit hefty.

Voila.

Let's see.

1) Same Sex kiss, check.
    2) Who reference to placate Whovies, check.
    3) The word 'shag', check.
    4) Slightly dissapointing CGI, check. (Where's the Mill gone?)
    5) Amusing session of team banter, check.
    6) Horny alien, check.
    7) some form of inter office sport, check.
    8) A "what happened to the alien, that fell a bit flat", moment. ("Oh, I just shot her into the sun just off screen because we can't affor dthe mill to do a bit of fancy footwork here. Sorry, did you miss that? WHy? Oh, we were distracting you by moving onto the sex thing again."), check.
    9) Domestic scene to remind audience that team are continually disjoined from reality, check.
    10) Owen getting all the best lines, mostly regarding his trousers, check.
    11) Smashing the 'Jack is dead' nut with a sledgehammer again, check. (Did you know, Jack is dead. What? No! Yes! Seriously. Yea.........Oh, so did I mention Jack is dead..)
    12) Sucidial Ianto mutterings, check.
    13) Gwen shown to be more annoying than we first realised, check.
    14) Showing off bars in Cardiff, check.

I could to this with two pencils up my nose, a pair of pants on my head and by repeated saying the word 'wibble'.

[ for future reference the "What did I think of Torchwood" Flip chart and Torchwood plot generator (TM) (C) (ETC) will be on the market this Christmas along with the K9 remote controlled dog and Captain Jack (fliexible and vibrating) action figurine - essentially it's a scrabble bag with lots of bits of paper in it]

New additions to the "What did I think of Torchwood" Flip chart and Torchwood plot generator (TM) (C) to be pulled out of the bag in future episodes:
    welcome. Profits will not be shared.

*********************************************************** "Rubber Soles - Swear by them!"

Monday, November 27 2006 @ 05:00 AM EST
    PS: I actually like this episode, the ending sucked, but hey ho, it's not Who and never will be. I have come to terms with this. Rolling Eyes

*********************************************************** "Rubber Soles - Swear by them!"

Monday, November 27 2006 @ 05:41 AM EST
    [Quote  by:  whodovoodoo] PS: I actually like this episode, the ending sucked, but hey ho, it's not Who and never will be. I have come to terms with this. Rolling Eyes

Your 'Flip Chart' is spot on!

However at least this episode kept my interest till the end.

Cheers, daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali

Monday, November 27 2006 @ 07:57 AM EST
    While its themes have been visited before, (most recently in an early episode of "Heroes" when the cop discovers his power) I thought this one was truly enjoyable through and through.

I even liked the post-sex scenes with Tosh and the alien.

She really looked like she wasn't sure what she had just done, and wasn't sure she ever wanted to do it again.

The subtle manipulation by the alien was a bit easy to see (through our eyes, though I guess not through Tosh's).

I think so far that this one was the best yet.

Sean.

One solid hope is worth a cartload of uncertainties.

Monday, November 27 2006 @ 09:15 AM EST
    [Quote  by:  daveac]

Your 'Flip Chart' is spot on!

However at least this episode kept my interest till the end.

Cheers, daveac

Same here... and that is one item on my "Torchwood Flip Chart" that rarely gets checked.

No fidgeting in my chair and glancing at the time wondering how much longer we have to go until the end.

Cheers,
    Louis

☛ Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LouisTrapani ♥ ♥

Monday, November 27 2006 @ 04:23 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  merlin_mccarley] Standard warning. This thread assumes you have seen this episode as messages here may contain spoilers.
    And finally Tosh gets some screen time to develop, although her chatting
    about Torchwood to a total stranger is far fetched.

The thing is that "Mary" is manipulating her, which is rather more obvious to us in the audiance.

Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, November 27 2006 @ 04:34 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  Louis]

The basic premise of reading others thoughts have been explored before, and it immediately reminded me of the classic Twilight Zone episode, A Penny for Your Thoughts. In the 1961 story which had Dick York playing a character that for a period of time was able to hear other people's thoughts (just like Tosh here with the pendant)... though he discovers that people's thoughts are not always reflective of their true feelings or motives.

The idea of being able to read other's thoughts is explicitally called a "curse" in The HitchHiker's Guide to the Galaxy. There are also some similarities to this episode and the Buffy episode "Earshot".
    Even more recent would be the Big Finish "Benny" story "The Kingdom of the Blind".

Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, November 27 2006 @ 05:33 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  mpe]
    The idea of being able to read other's thoughts is explicitally called a "curse" in The HitchHiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Well, it may depend on which version (radio, book, play, TV, Movie) of H2G2 you are quoting
    but I will always remember it as being refered to as a "Social Disease" Eek! .

I'm a Time Traveler, I point and laugh at archaeologist.

Monday, November 27 2006 @ 06:23 PM EST
    I have to agree in general with the comments so far - wouldn't consider it groundbreaking but for the first time it had my attention all the way through. I do feel that over the last few weeks Torchwood has drawn me in much more than it did at the beginning - but this is without doubt the best one yet.

The preview for next week looks interesting too - the return of Suzie Costello (even if only for a couple of minutes). In the UK BBC Four has been having a "Science Fiction Brittania" season which has included a repeat of the 2005 live remake of the Quatermass Experiment starring Indira Varma (Suzie) and David Tennant. It was while he started on this that David Tennant found out he'd got the role of The Doctor - which he then had to admit to Mark Gatiss who was also starring in it. This evening also saw the screening of "Random Quest" which was based on a John Wyndham short story - with no mention that of the original film based on it which starred Joan Collins !

Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, November 27 2006 @ 11:33 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  mpe]
    [Quote  by:  Louis]

The basic premise of reading others thoughts have been explored before, and it immediately reminded me of the classic Twilight Zone episode, A Penny for Your Thoughts. In the 1961 story which had Dick York playing a character that for a period of time was able to hear other people's thoughts (just like Tosh here with the pendant)... though he discovers that people's thoughts are not always reflective of their true feelings or motives.

The idea of being able to read other's thoughts is explicitally called a "curse" in The HitchHiker's Guide to the Galaxy. There are also some similarities to this episode and the Buffy episode "Earshot".
    Even more recent would be the Big Finish "Benny" story "The Kingdom of the Blind".

The scene where Tosh hears a murderer's thoughts and follows him in order to stop him is straight out of M. Night Shyamalan's Unbreakable with Bruce Willis.

Otherwise, I generally enjoyed this episode, but I would put it 2nd, after Small Worlds.

Did you say "74,384,338 to 1 against"? That's my lucky number!
      Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, November 28 2006 @ 09:45 PM EST
    Absolutely the best episode of Torchwood yet. And that's not to damn it with faint praise. It was genuinely good television. This balanced approach to the cast is exactly the direction the show should go.

This is the first episode I've actually wanted to watch again.

Random notes:

Time to face facts, people. Whitehouse knows how to get emotional responses out of his audience. And he knows how to write interesting women. The two are not unrelated. And he's got an amazing ability to create alien cultures on the strength of just a few words. This is twice now we've gotten tantalizing new aliens just in the background of episodes that are really about emotional encounters. Tosh's speech in the the pub where she talks about her view on alien life in general was, to be sure, an extrapolation of a truth that travellers on this planet find out about other cultures—but as an entrée into a character we don't really know yet, it was surprisingly effective and poignant. This guy should get work in every season of DW and TW from here on out.

Best. Opening. Ever. The teaser-out line, "Do whores have prayers?" was the most appropriate use of adult language yet. Second: "Sometimes I think even that stick up your ass has a stick up its ass."

I think the similarities to the Heroes character can't really be faulted here; the shows were in production concurrently. I think we're seeing a bit of simultaneous discovery on the issue of the morality of mind-reading.

Jack was used effectively, yet with sensible economy. He was the hero that saved the day, of course, but it was brilliant to have his time limited. He was so much more effective as a mystery lurking in the background. That said, there was something about Jack's delivery in the early part of his initial encounter with Mary in the Hub that didn't play exactly right. Barrowman went for "forceful" when the script fairly screamed "casual". He was right on elsewhere, though. I especially enjoyed his end dialogue with Tosh, which some seem to have disliked. It was a very nice moment between two actors who have gotten precious little solo time together.

Loved the little drop-in reference to UNIT, and the bit of political squabbling between Jack and the PM. I hope we get an episode where Jack is summoned to 10 Downing for something.

Overall, I was glad to see Tosh emerge with the most complex character piece to date. It's always the quiet ones you need to watch out for.

"I think of myself as ambitious in casting terms, and I know that Bonnie [Langford] has the potential to make the part totally unirritating . . ." — JNT, 1986

Tuesday, November 28 2006 @ 10:27 PM EST
    I did not look at the VCR clock once while watching the episode and was disappointed when it was over (went MUCh too quick). I thoroughly enjoyed it. I also enjoyed Gwen telling Tosh that what Gwen and Owen is doing IS wrong, she knows it but she isn't going to stop (paraphrase, obviously). Nice to know that some where she still has a moral center, she's just choosing to ignore it as a way to work through the new experiences (doesn't excuse or condone, just makes her more human).

Also happy (again) that they have not forgotten Ianto's pain. But I would have thought it would have been obvious that the result of this episode should have been Tosh and Ianto commiserating together, not Jack playing Obi Wan / the godfather figure with all the answers. Too easy.

I had told myself that if this episode wasn't better I was going to stop watching (at least not making sure to see the show within the first 48 hours after airing). Now they've sucked me back in by making me care for a character (Tosh) besides Jack.

supremacy is relative
      Profile    PM    Email   

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed