The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • Yet Another Promo for the 2014 Doctor Who Christmas Special - Last Christmas
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 319 - The 2014 Series of Doctor Who Reviewed
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing the 2014 Series Scheduled for Sunday, Nov 30
  • Peter Capaldi Being Interviewed by Craig Ferguson in 2009 [VIDEO]
  • Doctor Who Christmas Special 2014 Preview from BBC Children in Need
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 318 - 'Death in Heaven' Reviewed
  • Doctor Who Christmas Special 2014 Promo "Trailer" Video
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Death in Heaven? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Death in Heaven' Scheduled for Sunday, Nov 09
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 317 - 'Dark Water' Reviewed

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Auction
    Auction
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  Torchwood - Series 1 »  Torchwood (E08) They Keep Killing Susie
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    Torchwood (E08) They Keep Killing Susie Views: 3524
     Sunday, December 03 2006 @ 06:24 PM EST
    No spoliers from me - excluding what the title gives away but following posts are likely to!

If you can lock your 'moral judgements' up for the duration of the episode I think most people will think this is one of the better episodes - although we seem to be going more X-Files as the weeks go on.

I'll come back and make some more specific comments later.

I did enjoy the episode - and dis-engaged the brain - and went with the flow.

Cheers, daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Monday, December 04 2006 @ 01:39 AM EST

I think the series is finally approaching the hype that was built up for it.

As I think back to the rumours of things not quite appearing right as the first news of production matters was leaking out, I think they must have been refering to the first few episodes and that they were not hitting the "tone" that they were trying to establish with the series. I remember reading about possible reshoots and the series not being dark enough and now it is beginning to make sense. With all that Russell T. Davies had taken on, it is possible that he wasn't focussing as much attention on Torchwood at the outset as was needed, and it was to late to "fix" the first few episodes.

Taras

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!

Monday, December 04 2006 @ 05:39 AM EST
    “Dear BBC Wales,

Please read the attached with reference to your current ‘hit series’ TORCHWOOD.

When supplying the baying public with this series on DVD please refrain from including the following: anything between episodes one and eight.

Expectations were set, bars were raised, tone was predicted, moral ambiguity suggested; but only a hint of potential was shown in episodes two through seven. A hint which left not only myself but several others wringing their poor Sunday night heads in despair. It was therefore with an exhausted heart that I watched the most recent offering in this series, still bearing the faint ‘torch’ of hope that I continued to tune in, mostly because Sunday evenings at ten pm I had little else with which to occupy my time. Had I not already seen the first six episodes of an American show called Lost – you may have heard of it – I would probably have tuned out before this excellent episode was shown.

I enjoyed this episode so much I cannot think of a fault. Not one. Which is unusual for me.

Future watching will entirely depend on the calibre of shows one and eight being maintained and built upon in the last five episodes. To this extent, and to help you a little on the way, here is what will keep me watching:

Drama.

If you add more of the following I might even tune in next series:

Tension.
    Character depth.
    Moral explorations.
    Subtle running plot lines.
    Witty repartee.
    Discrete lighting.
    Perfectly pitched CGI.
    Ianto.

What I will tune out if I see again:

Flat endings. Flat beginnings. Pointless scenes.
    Characters with all the depth of a size 0 glamour model.
    Moral exploitations.
    Running along to dance tracks when a simple bit of Murray Gold would do.
    Dialog about sex written by fifteen year olds.
    Overlit scenes.
    Overdone, underwhelming or unecessary CGI.
    Montages. Any.

Yours “Finally-Elated-by-an-episode-of-Torchwood”

Whodovoodoo"

PS: What was that piece of music at the end?

*********************************************************** "Rubber Soles - Swear by them!"

Monday, December 04 2006 @ 07:01 AM EST
    [Quote  by:  whodovoodoo]
    I enjoyed this episode so much I cannot think of a fault. Not one. Which is unusual for me.

I've mostly enjoyed all the episodes so far (I guess I'm easily pleased Smile ) However, the one thing that spoiled it for me is that once again one of 'the crew' broke the rules!

Surely they could of come up with a different plot device to separate Gwen and Susie rather than going on a 'Road Trip'?

If I was Captain Jack I’d have them all on at least their first written warning by now (UK employment law being that you can’t just beat your employees anymore)! Mr. Green

Seriously though, this is meant to be a highly professional team yet they keep on making basic stupid emotional mistakes!

Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, December 04 2006 @ 09:44 AM EST
    In the Torchwood De-classified RTD says this is his favourite episode.

And just as a taster for those still caught on the eye-eye (EDIT - red-eye) - here's a pic:-

Cheers, daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali

Monday, December 04 2006 @ 10:07 AM EST
    Finally, Torchwood has found its legs, feet, and 3D glasses Cool (on Jacks lamp).
    Took them a while but they finally got there, everyone had something useful to
    contribute (Even Owen). The one small gripe that stood out is, Where was the
    book reader/lock pick (I guess Tosh took it hom again) that they used in
    "Cyberwoman"? I will readdress further in the thread but we got rid of the
    High School emotions and Got Down to Business.

"Something's out there, in the Dark." Idea

I'm a Time Traveler, I point and laugh at archaeologist.

Monday, December 04 2006 @ 10:22 AM EST

I liked the toung in cheek Ianto name code system.

Love the fact that they used my Resurection Gauntlet phrase from a few Torchwood theads back Cool . Waiting on my check RTD Smile .

I'm a Time Traveler, I point and laugh at archaeologist.

Monday, December 04 2006 @ 11:15 AM EST
    Well, I'm brand new to these boards... Signed up last week with the intent to rant about how dismal Torchwood has been so far, and they go and drop a damn good episode...

So, my first ever post here is now positive instead. It may have taken over half the series to get here, but if the remaining episodes turn out to be this well made, I may even be tempted to buy the box-set when it's released...

Course, I won't hold my breath, I remember feeling a little like this when 'Impossible Planet' aired!! Wink

Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, December 04 2006 @ 11:33 AM EST
    OK.. I have to agree with the comments so far. I enjoyed this one. Only 2 things I didn't really get:

(1) Where the **@! is Rhys?
    (2) What was that "There are lots of things you can do with a stopwatch" comment from Ianto all about?

Did you say "74,384,338 to 1 against"? That's my lucky number!
      Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, December 04 2006 @ 12:46 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  rocko]
    (2) What was that "There are lots of things you can do with a stopwatch" comment from Ianto all about?

I have a sneaky feeling Jack is 'boffing' (I refuse to use the word 'shag' anymore) Ianto for S*!t's and giggles. Put your hand up if you think that 'casual sexual relationship' is going to come back and bite Jack on the behind (s'cuse the pun).
    I have a feeling Ianto may be Jack's idea of a little bit of after office-hours relaxation...

Still - not up on my g.a.y references recently. So any other tongue in cheek (again, no pun intended) reference was entirely lost on me!

*********************************************************** "Rubber Soles - Swear by them!"

Monday, December 04 2006 @ 01:08 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  whodovoodoo]
    [Quote  by:  rocko]

I have a sneaky feeling Jack is 'boffing' (I refuse to use the word 'shag' anymore) Ianto for S*!t's and giggles. Put your hand up if you think that 'casual sexual relationship' is going to come back and bite Jack on the behind (s'cuse the pun).
    I have a feeling Ianto may be Jack's idea of a little bit of after office-hours relaxation...

Still - not up on my g.a.y references recently. So any other tongue in cheek (again, no pun intended) reference was entirely lost on me!

I must be like this for kids - when their parents take them to a cartoon and Dad is laughing when you (the kid) hasn't heard anything funny.

I thought there were too many sexual refernces when I thought a got them all - now I'm thinking there's a load more 'going over my head!'

Cheers, daveac

Monday, December 04 2006 @ 01:34 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  daveac]
    I must be like this for kids - when their parents take them to a cartoon and Dad is laughing when you (the kid) hasn't heard anything funny.

I thought there were too many sexual refernces when I thought a got them all - now I'm thinking there's a load more 'going over my head!'
    Cheers, daveac

It seemed to me that the whole "stopwatch" thing was a very "Monty Python" styled ending:

- So... do you want to come back to my place?
    - Thought you'd never ask...

Did you say "74,384,338 to 1 against"? That's my lucky number!
      Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, December 04 2006 @ 04:34 PM EST
    Strangely enough the homoerotic stuff is actually starting to get on my nerves now. I actually find myself thinking - does anyone in this organisation have an ordinary relationship that doesn't rely on euphemism and sexual ambiguity. I mean, don't get me wrong, I was waiting for the Jack/Ianto thing along with everyone else but it's cropped up so suddenly I feel like I've missed a couple of episodes and loads of stuff happened while I was away. I could have understood it if there had been more build up but it was only about 4 weeks ago that Ianto was screaming along the lines of "One day I hope someone hurts you really badly and I hope I'm there to see it!" and not long after they're eyeing each other up coyly and seeing which of them can complete the Times crossword in under 10 minutes (well, that must have been what they were suggesting.....surely).

If this does turn out to be Ianto leading Jack on purely to hurt him then Jack will plummet in my estimations for not seeing it coming. If I met any lad who screamed he wanted to see me in severe pain some time in the future, I'd think very carefully before suggesting stopwatch shennanigans with him.

Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, December 04 2006 @ 04:47 PM EST
    Granted this episode had about ten minutes extra than the average Torchwood but I found myself yelling at the TV, "Now that's more like it!" While I've enjoyed the series so far, I haven't been blown away by it. Episode 8 seemed to get the mix just right. There was suspense, moral questions, and ongoing consequences for the team's actions. My attention was held and I didn't know what was going to happen next.

The script did a good job of involving all of the cast as well as featured a good mix of humor and horror. I like the idea that while Torchwood is doing a lot of good work, there's a messy side to it.

Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, December 04 2006 @ 06:39 PM EST
    I'll take a bit of stick about this, but I really didn't enjoy this episode as much as episode 07. That said, it was, as others have noted, well in the top flight of Torchwood episodes thus far.

But if I don't rant about something, then I don't deserve my nick anymore.

The one thing that distracted me throughout the whole episode—and I admit it's silly for me to get all worked up about it now—is the relationship of Torchwood to the police. We've said throughout the series that Torchwood is an in-inverted-commas-only "secret" organization, but this episode now just has me mystified as to what the hell the point of its alleged secrecy is.

I think one or two lines would set it straight for me—something along the lines of "Our cover was blown after the damned PM had us use the canons in broad daylight last Christmas", or "After the Cyber-Dalek wars, reporters followed the trail of Daleks straight to Torchwood 1", or something similar.

But until some kinda "heirarchy" is sorted out amongst the various police and military organizations in DW's Britain, I think I'll paraphrase David Kirk from Star Trek II: "Everytime we have dealings with the police, I get nervous."

Are we really to believe that MI6 wasn't monitoring the police call from Torchwood? That they didn't score something valuable in the form of the code which unlocks the Torchwood base? C'mon: MI6 has to know where the base is by now; the entrance is in one of the easiest-surveilled spots in Cardiff. Not to mention one that must be covered from several different CCTV cameras.

Wanna say MI6 would "respect" the Torchwood Charter and Royal decree? Fine—but that hardly stops the CIA and Russian spy organizations from being both curious and able.

And of course there's the sheer ridiculousness of Jack having to call out for quotations from a work of classic literature, which is available, in its entirety, online. They didn't lose their internet. Amazon would've had the ISBN number. Tosh looked a bit of an internet newbie there, IMHO.

"I think of myself as ambitious in casting terms, and I know that Bonnie [Langford] has the potential to make the part totally unirritating . . ." — JNT, 1986

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed
    Words are censored