The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 305 - Interviews with Peter Howell and Ron Katz
  • Five Years of The Cultdom Collective Podcast!
  • The Official BBC Teaser Promo Video for the New 2014 Series [VIDEO]
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: The Claws of Axos? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 304 - 'The Claws of Axos' is Reviewed
  • New Doctor Who Series Launch Confirmed for August and Teaser Promo Video
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: The Invasion of Time? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 303 - 'The Invasion of Time' is Reviewed
  • Dozens of Doctor Who guests converge on Long Island this November!
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 302 - Terry Walsh Interviewed

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Evil Resurrected 1024 X 768
    Evil Resurrected 1024 X 768
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  Torchwood - Series 1 »  Torchwood (E09) Random Shoes
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    Torchwood (E09) Random Shoes Views: 2178
     Sunday, December 10 2006 @ 05:58 PM EST
    Standard warning. This thread assumes you have seen this episode as messages here may contain spoilers.

Oh dear!!! I've enjoyed Torchwood so far - and judging by some of the post here more than a lot of other people. However, for this episode I have only three words....

... Love and Monsters!

Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, December 10 2006 @ 06:40 PM EST
    Well it was the same writer wasn't it?

I kept waiting for it to go somewhere but once it got to the funeral I realised that it just wasn't going to do anything and mentally gave up. The bit at the end was mildly interesting but then it finished.

What was the point of it? I kept seeing Elton from Love & Monsters in the story. Looks like the writer is a bit of a one-trick pony. Was the eye thing designed by some kid who watches Blue Peter cos I can't see any reason for this story otherwise?

The 21st century is when it all happens. Wake me up when it arrives. Confused

Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, December 10 2006 @ 06:53 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  capricorn1]
    Oh dear!!! I've enjoyed Torchwood so far - and judging by some of the post here more than a lot of other people. However, for this episode I have only three words....

... Love and Monsters!

Well I quite enjoyed it.

It was a 'better' Love & Monsters at least.

And almost no jiggy business for once.

As an aside BBC Three had problems with their DOG - the episode started with a CBBC on screen graphic which then disappeared to leave the rest of the episode DOG free.

It was watchable and a lot better than Love & Monsters Louis Wink

Cheers, daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Sunday, December 10 2006 @ 10:54 PM EST

Well the life after death ambugity arguments aside (RTD and Co. can't seem to make up their minds). It wasn't all bad.
    I want to know more about the next bidder (the legitimate high bidder) Mr. C. Blackstaff collector of Alien ephermia,
    Natzi memoribilia, and... Beanie Babys. Are we going to get more about that? Mostly a posing oppurnitury for Gwen,
    with little story or character development.

Is it better than "Love and Monsters"?

Yes, Louis it's safe to watch.

I'm a Time Traveler, I point and laugh at archaeologist.

Monday, December 11 2006 @ 06:02 AM EST
    As per Love and Monsters I really liked this episode.

However, some minor issues:

Jack had one whole line.
    Tosh said nothing.
    Gwen seems to be sleeping on her own again - where was reese, or even Owen?
    How did Eugene get out of the Hub to go and stare at his mum longingly?
    I preferred the original title.
    Gwen would not put herself forward to do an autopsy.
    Overall this episode seems incongruous with the overall plotline and the writer must have written this as an episode that could be 'slotted in anywhere' as he was not, it seems, in contact with the production team for congruity's sake.

But those I minor little niggles that I am generally expecting to encounter these days.

I loved the ending.
    I liked the pace and the humanity of this episode.
    I liked the character of Eugene a lot and was genuinely moved to tears at the end.

However, I still feel like this series is biding its time waiting to get to that one good story line. In a sense I feel like the series has only ONE good story line, the 'Who is Jack' story line, and eveything else is just pretty window dressing.

Could this series have been done better as six episodes, a mini series with far more substance? I am increasingly feeling as if it could - most of the story lines (maybe except for the sex monster) could have been covered over in Who to better effect. Including this one.

*********************************************************** "Rubber Soles - Swear by them!"

Monday, December 11 2006 @ 06:11 AM EST
    [Quote  by:  daveac]

Well I quite enjoyed it.

It was a 'better' Love & Monsters at least.

And almost no jiggy business for once.

As an aside BBC Three had problems with their DOG - the episode started with a CBBC on screen graphic which then disappeared to leave the rest of the episode DOG free.

It was watchable and a lot better than Love & Monsters Louis Wink

Cheers, daveac

Sorry - I should of qualified - it was much better that love and Monsters - but it was that 'type' of show! It certainly wasn't a Torchwood episode. I can't really explain that statement other than say watch the episode, it just doesn't feel right!

I did also notice the wrong dog - I was beginning to think the CBBC (Children’s BBC) logo was appropriate for this episode!

Is anybody else getting fed up with Gwen seeing 'the human side' of their work and also the fact that everybody and their dog has heard of this organisation? They should be working in the shadows and stomping on whoeverwhatever to get the job done and remaining secret should be paramount! Yet in this episode were asked to believe some geek not only knew who they were (ok the pimped up company car complete with logos may be a bit of a give away) but also what they did and mostly where to find them!

Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, December 11 2006 @ 08:45 AM EST

Now, after Army of Ghosts/Doomsday... everybody in the UK would be curious as to what was going on at Canary Wharf. The secret is out of the bag. Deal with it!

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!

Monday, December 11 2006 @ 12:01 PM EST
    Did anyone else notice that young Elton {cough, I mean Eugene} had a toy K9 in his room? You can see it as he looks into his telescope and the song 'There's a Starman' starts playing.

Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, December 11 2006 @ 01:39 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  tarashnat]
    Now, after Army of Ghosts/Doomsday... everybody in the UK would be curious as to what was going on at Canary Wharf. The secret is out of the bag. Deal with it!

Eek! You mean, they didn't chalk that one up to "Mass Histera"? Wink After all the invasions Daleks, Cybermen, and manny manny more, more than once by many the earth is finnaly getting it? It seems to me that the law enforcentment branches don't take them seriously, they are just scared of them. U.N.I.T. and the Goverment understand but I still think that the Gen. Pop. think it's terrorism or something in the water.

Monday, December 11 2006 @ 03:34 PM EST
    Generally, I enjoyed this episode. I definitely felt the similarity to Love & Monsters, especially when "Starman" started to play. Very good ending. I didn't catch the K9 toy, though, so I'm gonna have to go back and check now!

Did you say "74,384,338 to 1 against"? That's my lucky number!
      Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, December 11 2006 @ 07:47 PM EST
    After about five minutes, I was saying, "It's Love & Monsters... Torchwood style!" I've tried to hang in with Torchwood but this one didn't do much for me. I found myself looking at my watch a lot, wondering how much longer the program had to go. Part of my frustration was the lack of much character development for the rest of the Torchwood team. Lately we've been getting to know them better and I want to see that continue.

I feel it was too early to do an episode where we see them from an outsider's perspective. While the ending was a bit of a surprise, I was hoping for some kind of bigger revelation. And I feel like I've already had my fill of a disfunctional father/son relationship. Where's a sex crazed gas alien when you need them!

Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, December 11 2006 @ 09:05 PM EST
    Loved this episode. Really. It was wondrous. It had me curious throughout. It made Gwen interesting. The "real" Owen stood up after a few weeks of sitting down.

But, of course, there were still a couple of logical problems.

Again, the issue of the openly secret Torchwood returned. Torchwood shouldn't have "groupies". Fine, it's the basis of the story, and the notion of the guy as falling in love with his icons has got to be there for the story to work. But one day, they're really going to have to explain how Torchwood has any kind of presence to the general public. (I think they're missed the dramatic boat by not going the other way and demonstrating the Torchwood crew going to great lengths to protect their secret. Protecting one's secrets has been a source of rich drama at least since Clark Kent donned his wire-rim glasses.)

I guess what I'm saying, really, is that the story would've worked that little bit better had some time been given over to explaining how he came to know about Torchwood. Then, it would've been not only a good one-off episode, but it would have helped to create the larger Torchwood myth as well.

The second area of concern has to do with the unexplained Owen/Gwen breakup. Now if all this is going to be explained later, then it's actually a good thing that it was sorta passed over here. But my worry is that the relationship will fade as quickly and sloppily as it began. (Judging by the previews for next week, the breakup might well be central to that plot. So, fingers crossed.)

"I think of myself as ambitious in casting terms, and I know that Bonnie [Langford] has the potential to make the part totally unirritating . . ." — JNT, 1986

Tuesday, December 12 2006 @ 01:10 PM EST
    So what was the original title?

I liked this episode, but it wasn't as good as the last 3.

It does tend to contradict what happens after death. Though one could contend that having the eye inside him did something unusual to him that did NOT happen to Suzie when SHE died.

It definitely rang of "Love & Monsters", in that we get a new, outside character narrating a story in which he insinuates himself into the main characters' lives.

It's clear that Owen and Gwen have cooled towards each other, and that seemed like it's right on track.

It didn't feature Jack or Tosh very much, and that's a bit refreshing.

Sean.

One solid hope is worth a cartload of uncertainties.

Tuesday, December 12 2006 @ 01:25 PM EST
    The original title for ep. 9 was to be - "Invisible Eugene"

As RTD states in the Declasified, Eugene steals the show. It's really all about Eugene. Rolling Eyes

Tuesday, December 12 2006 @ 01:54 PM EST
    I liked this ep. Not a bunch, but it was nice. I even teared up at the end, simply b/c I actually found a character who I "got" on this show, and started having a vested interest in his story.

I don't think that his death disagreed w/ what was discovered w/ Suzie. I mean, he hadn't reached the otherside to even know what was there yet, so who knows what happens next. I really liked the ending where, as he "floated off," he kept narrating -- and then it just stopped. Seemed to make a bunch of sense to me.

I do wonder if Gwen and Owen are really done. Seems silly that there is no fallout, but the preview for next week does show Owen having a new Chick in his bed.....

supremacy is relative
      Profile    PM    Email   

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed