The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 316 - 'In the Forest of the Night' Reviewed
  • Deleted Scenes from The Five(ish) Doctors Reboot
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: In the Forest of the Night? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'In the Forest of the Night' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 26
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 315 - 'Flatline' Reviewed
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Flatline? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Flatline' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 19th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 314 - 'Mummy on the Orient Express' Reviewed
  • Music Video of 'Don't Stop Me Now' Performed by Foxes from Doctor Who 'Mummy on the Orient Express'
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Mummy on the Orient Express? (5=Fantastic)

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    CBC Newspaper Ad for Dalek
    CBC Newspaper Ad for Dalek
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  Torchwood - Series 1 »  Torchwood (E10) Out of Time
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    Torchwood (E10) Out of Time Views: 2652
     Monday, December 18 2006 @ 04:46 PM EST

This episode was written from a woman's perspective and deals more with the characters emotional responses. A good character drama with no alien menace.

Again we see Jack, Owen and Gwen take center stage, while Tosh and Ianto are relegated to the background. Though Joss Whedon's writing seems to be a goal of RTD and company, but they just haven't got into the hang of the idea of writing for an ensemble cast. We have more of an X-Files like focus on three characters, and the rest are peripheral. It seems that Jack, Owen and Gwen get good exposure week after week, and so far Tosh, Ianto, and Suzie have each only had substantial parts in two episodes each.

I liked this episode, as it puts the three main characters in juxtaposition with their counterparts in the guest cast. We also finally get to see some of the hinted at difficulties Gwen is having with Resse. And Resse's butt got the exposure that Captain Jack did not get in Bad Wolf. I just wish they had more interesting things for Tosh and Ianto to do beyond just being the suppport staff.

Taras

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Monday, December 18 2006 @ 06:09 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  capricorn1]...

Maybe this could have been expanded to cover two parts? ...

I was thinking of the same thing. There was so much to cover and explore in this story, that I wished it had a little more time to do so.

This is also the first episode that I am earmarking to watch again sometime to catch anything I may have missed the first time around.

Cheers,
    Louis

☛ Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LouisTrapani ♥ ♥

Monday, December 18 2006 @ 07:10 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  merlin_mccarley]
    Strange, just strange. I guess they are trying to soften the bad image they initially gave Owen, not working for me.
    The first bits of nudity (from an U.S. viewpoint) and they give us Reese's bare ARSE Eek! , and Owen doing the obviously
    fake nasty Frown ? Yes, give us more of the Jack backstory and less of the badly shot sex scenes. I don't mind nudity,
    but please! RTD lives enough in the real world to know that female nudity will always be more popular than male.

Arrow Male nudity (especially the examples from "Out of Time") = Comedy
    Arrow Female nudity = Ratings (or when shot properly Art)

Loved Gwen's explanition of sex in the 21st. century, especially her reaction when ask "sex with him,(Reese)
    is better than with the others?". Laughing Out Loud

Well, I would disagree saying that male nudity can be art as well.. it all depends on how it is shot, acted, and the subjects.

I felt the scene in this episode was just not necessary. It could have simply been implied. Not that I have anything against showing the act of sex... I didn't feel this scene really moved the story forward or developed the characters all that much. It seemed forced and awkward. I was suddenly taken out of the story and saw them as actors in a scene rather than their characters. It was one of those typical moments in the series that was done simply because they can do it (being after watershed).

Otherwise a very good episode.

Cheers,
    Louis

☛ Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LouisTrapani ♥ ♥

Monday, December 18 2006 @ 07:25 PM EST
    I'm definitely siding with the "loved it" crowd here. I'm even going to go one further and say that I don't think the sex scenes were egregious in any sense. I don't think you could call Owen physically attractive, but he was at least emotionally appealing here. I believed his connection with a woman here far more than I do the whole Gwen thing. And it was nice to have used the "post-Watershed liberality" in a constructive way for once. Please, yes, even more of this writer's work next series.

I'm even going to go out on a limb for what the MMM Commentary boys would refer to as a "very big call". I think this is one of the best Christmas episodes of any show ever made. Whether intentional or not, It's certainly the best reinterpretation of A Christmas Carol I've seen. Granted, some of what makes it appealing is that other episodes of this series have been disappointing—and so it naturally benefits by being one of the later episodes—but it's still quite a unique spin on the Christmas subgenre. What's really intriguing to me was how original it "felt", despite having a traditional core of the Dickensian Ghosts of Past, Present and Future. By having the ghosts visit different members of the cast proper, it obscured its connection to the old Yuletide chestnut cleverly, and gave us a concentrated glimpse of one aspect of each of those three cast members.

"I think of myself as ambitious in casting terms, and I know that Bonnie [Langford] has the potential to make the part totally unirritating . . ." — JNT, 1986

Monday, December 18 2006 @ 07:46 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  seanhuxter]
    [Quote  by:  hdutch007] just throwing in a quick note here: I am aboard the Love Actually love-train. I think it's one of the best movies of it's kind, and my wife and I watch it every holiday season. I would watch Bill Nighy read the phonebook.
    "I feel it in my fingers...I feel it in my toes..."

Still waiting for Torchwood to finish it's before I watch past episode 4. I will then marathon them in rapid succession.

hdutch, if you like Bill Nighy, find and watch "The Girl in the Cafe", which was absolutely wonderful. It shows Bill Nighy at his best, and the writers gave him some of the most wonderful lines...

SEan.

I certainly will do, Sean. I am aware of the film, but haven't had the pleasure of watching it yet. I'll have to add it to my list of movies to see. Thanks for the recommendation.

Heath Holland

Monday, December 18 2006 @ 09:51 PM EST
    I liked it as it was something different. Ianto had some great moments in the supermarket and the bit where he anticipated Jack needing his coat. Nicely played.

I liked Jack's decision at the end. It went against what he believes but he showed great compassion.

I'll be curious if we ever see our time travelers again.

One weak point was the fact that Torchwood can get you passports but can't get you a pilot's license? I'm being a bit picky... I know. Oh and early on, Owen announced that he's a Doctor. Perhaps this was done to remind the viewer that he does more at Torchwood than just have a lot of sex!

For a one-off episode, I thought this one was strong. I'm hopeful that the production team (now knowing that they will have a second season) will be able to think through what exactly Torchwood is about in terms of the big picture. Some episodes are great and others just don't grab me. I still feel the program has great potential.

Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, December 19 2006 @ 10:13 AM EST
    [Quote  by:  hdutch007]
    [Quote  by:  seanhuxter]
    [Quote  by:  hdutch007] just throwing in a quick note here: I am aboard the Love Actually love-train. I think it's one of the best movies of it's kind, and my wife and I watch it every holiday season. I would watch Bill Nighy read the phonebook.
    "I feel it in my fingers...I feel it in my toes..."

Still waiting for Torchwood to finish it's before I watch past episode 4. I will then marathon them in rapid succession.

hdutch, if you like Bill Nighy, find and watch "The Girl in the Cafe", which was absolutely wonderful. It shows Bill Nighy at his best, and the writers gave him some of the most wonderful lines...

SEan.

I certainly will do, Sean. I am aware of the film, but haven't had the pleasure of watching it yet. I'll have to add it to my list of movies to see. Thanks for the recommendation.

He was also in Series 3 of "Auf Wiedersehen Pet" the British TV comedy.

here

here

Cheers, daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali

Tuesday, December 19 2006 @ 08:39 PM EST
    *throws in 2 cents*

Hurray! great episode. Here's to rated-r content and nice storyline *lifts a glass of christmas sherry*

If Worzel Gummidge and the Third Doctor had a fist fight - who would win?

Tuesday, December 19 2006 @ 09:13 PM EST

Ahhhhhhh, sherry! Yum!

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!

Wednesday, December 20 2006 @ 01:49 AM EST
    I won't repeat the previous comments, but I agree with most. This was a good episode. I was glad to see some real interaction with Rhys. I'm looking forward to more of that in the next ep.

Did you say "74,384,338 to 1 against"? That's my lucky number!
      Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, December 20 2006 @ 11:28 AM EST
    [Quote  by:  Mawdryn] Oh and early on, Owen announced that he's a Doctor. Perhaps this was done to remind the viewer that he does more at Torchwood than just have a lot of sex!

That's an interesting take on Owen stating he was a doctor. I took the line as more proof of Owen being a jerk: here are people from what we think of a traditional time w/ traditional ideas of roles and responsibilities. THIS group of people will give him respect simply because he's a doctor - unlike many people today. Of course, I still dislike Owen, and that may have lead to my opinion on his reason behind informing this group that he was a doctor.

supremacy is relative
      Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, December 20 2006 @ 12:11 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  mad4plaid]
    [Quote  by:  Mawdryn] Oh and early on, Owen announced that he's a Doctor. Perhaps this was done to remind the viewer that he does more at Torchwood than just have a lot of sex!

That's an interesting take on Owen stating he was a doctor. I took the line as more proof of Owen being a jerk: here are people from what we think of a traditional time w/ traditional ideas of roles and responsibilities. THIS group of people will give him respect simply because he's a doctor - unlike many people today. Of coure, I still dislike Owen, and that may have lead to my opinion on his reason behind informing this group that he was a doctor.

Absolutly yes, although its not been firmly established I believe that Tosh is a doctor as well. And I believe that others in the facility have doctrate level traning as well (perhaps even, dare I say Gewn). So for him to spout titles at this obviously befuddled group just shows what a p*^*% he truly is.

I'm a Time Traveler, I point and laugh at archaeologist.

Wednesday, December 20 2006 @ 01:14 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  merlin_mccarley] Absolutly yes, although its not been firmly established I believe that Tosh is a doctor as well. And I believe that others in the facility have doctrate level traning as well (perhaps even, dare I say Gewn). So for him to spout titles at this obviously befuddled group just shows what a p*^*% he truly is.

I took it initially to mean that Owen intended to give them a physical examination, since having just bopped in from 1953 through the rift, they probably needed one.

In retrospect, he was probably just puffing his feathers up in front of a woman to which he was attracted sexually.

Did you say "74,384,338 to 1 against"? That's my lucky number!
      Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, December 20 2006 @ 03:13 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  rocko]
    I took it initially to mean that Owen intended to give them a physical examination, since having just bopped in from 1953 through the rift, they probably needed one.
    But that was what was going on, wasn't it? I left the scene with the impression that he was going to give them a medical check-up.

"I think of myself as ambitious in casting terms, and I know that Bonnie [Langford] has the potential to make the part totally unirritating . . ." — JNT, 1986

Tuesday, December 26 2006 @ 10:48 PM EST
    Ok...I'm pretty behind on my Torchwood. We just finished watching Out Of Time, and we are so close to giving up on this show. I told my wife that we're so close to the end of the season we have to stick it out, but they're making it so damn hard. This was about 66% a really good show. Why is the stuff with Owen so damn bad? Do they have a separate writer just for him? "The look on your face when you...???" Did they actually write that? Or did the teenage son of one of the writer's hack into the script file and make some changes? They could have taken all of the sex out of that story-line and it would have been ok. The stuff with Emma and the older guy wasn't bad. I was actually moved a little by Jack sitting with the guy as he kills himself. That was touching. Emma and Gwen's story was sweet. But the bad Owen sex story writing just ruins the whole episode. I can't believe that the writers haven't figured out that this isn't making the show more "adult". It's making it a joke. If this show makes it to a second season, I'll be stunned.

Cry

I'm going "Full Circle" and putting my avatar back to what it was when I first joined. :)
      Profile    PM    Email   

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed
    Words are censored