The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Listen? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Listen' Scheduled for Sunday, Sept 14th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 309 - 'Robot of Sherwood' Reviewed
  • Patrick Troughton as Robin Hood Seen in 'Robot of Sherwood'
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Robot of Sherwood? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Robot of Sherwood' Scheduled for Sunday, Sept 7th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 308 - 'Into The Dalek' Reviewed
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Into the Dalek? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 307 - 'Deep Breath' Reviewed
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Deep Breath? (5=Fantastic)

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Could this be the Master's TARDIS?
    Could this be the Master's TARDIS?
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  Sarah Jane Adventures - Series 1 »  The Sarah Jane Adventures
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    The Sarah Jane Adventures Views: 4589
     Wednesday, November 22 2006 @ 06:10 AM EST
    On their website today the BBC has confirmed that The Sarah Jane Adventures will be part of its Christmas schedule.

Full details of transmission times will not be confirmed for another fortnight, after which the Christmas editions of TV listings magazines will be published.

Part of the same announcement includes the news that Christmas highlights also include Billie Piper in Philip Pullman's The Ruby and the Smoke

Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, January 01 2007 @ 09:28 AM EST
    Just a few more hours until Sarah Jane returns. I'm eagerly awaiting a report from our UK contingent.

I'm Mr. Green with envy.

I'm going "Full Circle" and putting my avatar back to what it was when I first joined. :)
      Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, January 01 2007 @ 10:41 AM EST
    I'll be very curious to see how this program turns out. I'm optimistic but part of me is worried about too many shows coming from the Who Universe. Of course they could have done a program that would have seen Adam and Adric sharing a flat with lots of wacky neighbors!

Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, January 01 2007 @ 01:32 PM EST

If I had too choose between feast or famine, I'd choose feast everytime. But beggars can't be choosers!

Taras

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Monday, January 01 2007 @ 01:59 PM EST
    Has anyone seen this yet? I quite enjoyed it - it was fun. My children seemed to love it. Nice to see..... [spoiler]

... K9 again. I also enjoyed the references to 'Harry' and 'Alastair'.

What did you lot think?

P.S. It is of course possible that this message is a trap. If it is I can deal with it. P.P.S. I'm leaving this note in case I can't!

Monday, January 01 2007 @ 04:10 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  timeflight] Has anyone seen this yet? I quite enjoyed it - it was fun. My children seemed to love it. Nice to see.....
    What did you lot think?

Missed it - was out to a family dinner and my DVD Recorder failed to record! Miffed as I am using good quality Maxwell DVD-R discs.

Hope it's repeated.

If anyone in the US is feeling sorry for me now - don't be as in 20 mins I'm off to watch the Torchwood 2 Part final. Smile

Cheers, daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali

Monday, January 01 2007 @ 05:55 PM EST

Technology chooses to fail at the most inopportune of times... it's the ghost in the machine!

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!

Monday, January 01 2007 @ 10:25 PM EST

Well, I will try to keep it relatively spoiler free.

1. Elizabeth Sladen is still quite fit indeed Wink .

2. If Torchwood did not satisfy your need for Teen Angst/Hormanal behaviour then take a look at Kelsey Hooper.

3. Sarah seems to shop at the same place as our boy Jack.

More I guess when more folks have seen it or show greater intrest Wink .

Cheers,
    Mike M.

I'm a Time Traveler, I point and laugh at archaeologist.

Tuesday, January 02 2007 @ 01:31 AM EST
    Well, I thought it was a good childrens' show. Which is in the spirit of the original Doctor Who.

I liked seeing Sarah Jane again. HATED what's going on with K9. It makes no sense, and is just kind of dumb.

Mr. Smith... not sure what to think of him.

Loved the Sonic Lipstick.

Loved that car! Where can I get one?

Loved Maria. HATED Kelsey. I'm sick of casting kids who sound like they have cotton wool stuffed into their mouths. Can't hear a word she said, and it's not the accent. It was the fact that she can't articulate a single word separately from another.

I wish they had named the kid John, instead of Luke. Would have been very appropriate.

Loved her room, but it seems she has more alien tech than Torchwood. And in such a short time? Doesn't make sense to me.

Loved the alien effects. Those crawling things were creepy because while they almost looked a bit like a throw-back to rubber-suited actors, they moved sleekly and very alien-ly. Very nice job. I hope they keep that up.

I thought this was a bit too close to the "Slurm" episode of "Futurama". Can RTD be running out of ideas so early?

Was that truly co-written by Gareth Roberts? Blake?

Wow. Lots to talk about in the up-coming "Podshock", eh, Louis, Ken, James?

I think my daughter (who went to bed tonight before getting the chance to see it) is going to love it.

Sadly, this is the last we'll see for a while. Any idea when it starts up regularly? I was hoping we'd have a perfect leap-frog effect with Doctor Who from April to mid-summer, then Torchwood through January, and then Sara Jane Smith through April. Would have made a great year-long viewing schedule!

Anyway, lots to say, but I'm off to bed. Have to work in the morning. And after having so much time off, I'm forgetting how to do that...

Did I mention how much I loved that car???

Sean.

One solid hope is worth a cartload of uncertainties.

Tuesday, January 02 2007 @ 02:55 AM EST
    Loved it.
    I think I actually enjoyed it more than Torchwood! I agree about Kelsey, but that is exactly how UK kids speak these days so kudos for an accurate portrayal at least.
    I wish they hadn't mentioned K9 at all rather than shoehorn him in like they did but that's only a minor niggle. Looking forward to the series.
    Oh and the Gareth Roberts is the New/Missing Adventures, BBC Books & Attack of the Graske author by the way, not good old Blake!

Bollocks...sir.

Tuesday, January 02 2007 @ 08:29 AM EST
    I missed the K9 explanation - why isn't he in the show?

Practice acts of random kindness.
      Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, January 02 2007 @ 08:58 AM EST
    [Quote  by:  Archie] I missed the K9 explanation - why isn't he in the show?

[SPOILER] He's using his arse to plug up a black hole apparently. At least, that's what I got from it.

Abersoch

Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, January 02 2007 @ 09:58 AM EST
    Just finished watching this, lol Abersoch!

I thought it was really good!

Sonic lipstick, amazing!

So, Louis, Ken and James, when can we expect Podshock Bubbleshock??

"Drink it... while listening to Podshock...."

"Now Brigadeer, have I ever led you astray?" "On many ocassions!" "Ah.. well... this will be the exception!"

Tuesday, January 02 2007 @ 10:14 AM EST
    Heh. Me confuse Gareth Roberts and Gareth Thomas... silly me...

Sean.

One solid hope is worth a cartload of uncertainties.

Tuesday, January 02 2007 @ 11:46 AM EST
    SPOILERS TO FOLLOW

I really enjoyed it, and am impressed enough to be excited for the series.

The actors playing Luke, Maria, the Dad and the Mum are all fantastic. Maria was the character I was most worried about but she's actually a positive reason to watch the show rather than just an "acceptable" sidekick. I was well impressed with the visual design of the Bane. I'd go so far as to say that, visually, it's possibly the most impressive CGI alien done in the RTD Whoniverse. And of course as far as the "human" part of the alien, Samantha Bond was a joy. In fact, of the two "star" villains this year, Bond's Bane was more enjoyable than the Racnoss.

Kelsey's the one element I was least sure of. I thought for the most part she was able to deliver a convincing characterization, and I don't have a problem with her "cotton-mouthedness", but there were a few scenes where I think she fundamentally missed the right cadence with her lines. I'm glad she seems to be on the "outside" of the main three characters.

I hope the Dad features regularly, and is a bit more than just the person Maria runs to when she needs a wee cry. I'd like to see him in some scenes with SJS; perhaps he could be the one she turns to when she needs parenting advice. I wouldn't say she should be in a romance with him, but he certainly seems a capable actor who could contribute something bigger to the series.

As for the K-9 bit, well, I appreciated the metaphor, frankly. He belongs in a black hole, with respect to SJS. He has absolutely no relevance to the SJS mythos. He was shoe-horned into her world; altogether appropriate he was shoehorned out. Basically, his script duties are taken over by Mr. Smith, anyway. There were probably better ways to get rid of K-9, but I'm not particularly bothered. He's gone, and that's good enough for me.

Don't get me wrong, I like K-9. But he never should've been in SJS' life. RTD has gone a long way to get some emotional play out of that dreadful JNT decision, but there's no way he should be a regular part of her televised life. This way, at least he's still alive and doin' some good.

I really liked that her house was littered with pictures of UNIT pals, and that, in trying to find a name for her adopted kid, she reached for "Harry" and "Alastaire". I'm so glad she didn't choose "John" because that would've been just . . . weird. Despite it's anonymity, that name is still a special one, reserved only for her—and I think we can just about say it now—ex-lover, the Doctor. Neat, too, that her coat evokes the Fourth Doctor's.

Overall, while I would've preferred SJS as a cast member on Torchwood, or in a more adult setting of her own, this is a good and noble use of her character, along with a solid introduction of intriguing new characters.

"I think of myself as ambitious in casting terms, and I know that Bonnie [Langford] has the potential to make the part totally unirritating . . ." — JNT, 1986

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed
    Words are censored