The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: The Mark of the Rani? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 301 - 'The Mark of the Rani' is Reviewed
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Featured in Podcastrovalva
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 300 - The Passing of Kate O'Mara, Interviews with Mary Tamm and Janet Fielding
  • NASA New Spacesuit Z-2 Dominates
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 299 - 'The Web of Fear' Reviewed, News, and More
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 298 - 'The Enemy of the World' Reviewed, News, and More
  • Emma Campbell-Jones joins the L.I. Who 2 line up "Best news all day"
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 297 - Classic Interview with Colin Baker, News, Feedback, and More
  • How do you rate the Matt Smith era of Doctor Who? (5=Fantastic)

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Mark Strickson in Sydney
    Mark Strickson in Sydney
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  Sarah Jane Adventures - Series 1 »  The Sarah Jane Adventures
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    The Sarah Jane Adventures Views: 4470
     Tuesday, January 02 2007 @ 12:28 PM EST
    [Quote Despite it's anonymity, that name is still a special one, reserved only for her—and I think we can just about say it now—ex-lover, the Doctor.

Eek! Eek! eh!?!?? i think that's taking it a little too far!!

Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, January 02 2007 @ 02:25 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  mindless]
    [Quote Despite it's anonymity, that name is still a special one, reserved only for her—and I think we can just about say it now—ex-lover, the Doctor.

Eek! Eek! eh!?!?? i think that's taking it a little too far!!
    Is it? How many times do we need her to say that there's only been one man for her before we get the point? Sure, you can interpret it how you want, and if you're not comfortable with the Doctor taking a lover—even in the face of the evidence of "School Reunion", "Fireplace", "Doomsday", "Runaway" and now "Bane"—there's room for your interpretation. Maybe the Doctor doesn't believe he's been the lover of SJS or RT—but they have definitely been in love with him.

"I think of myself as ambitious in casting terms, and I know that Bonnie [Langford] has the potential to make the part totally unirritating . . ." — JNT, 1986
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Tuesday, January 02 2007 @ 02:58 PM EST
    I enjoyed the Sarah Jane Adventures, as well. I agree that the CGI here was better than most we've seen on Doctor Who so far. I also imagine the same story could have worked as a DW ep.

As far as the "lover" idea goes, I am still finding the whole idea of the Doctor being "in love" with his companions a little hard to fit into my paradigm of the Doctor. I guess I grew up thinking of the Doctor as being above (beyond?) those sorts of things, although looking back this was probably just my pre-adolescent interpretation of British emotional standoffishness. I can grok that the Doctor may have "loved" his companions, but I never thought about him being "in love" with them. Even with Rose, I don't think of him as being Rose's "lover", but as someone who grew very close to her emotionally so as to care very deeply for her, without it ever being on a physical level. I guess I always just saw the Doctor as "untouchable" in that sense.

Oh- I also found the "Drink Slurm, It's Highly Addictive" parallel a bit too close to the mark.

Did you say "74,384,338 to 1 against"? That's my lucky number!
      Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, January 02 2007 @ 08:18 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  seanhuxter]
    Mr. Smith... not sure what to think of him.

Loved the Sonic Lipstick.

I thought this was a bit too close to the "Slurm" episode of "Futurama". Can RTD be running out of ideas so early?

I don't mind the Mr. Smith, but I think they don't need to make the physical appearance of it quite so over the top. It reminded me of the Star Trek episode with Gary Seven. Smile

The Sonic Lipstick cracked me up. I mean, who looks at lipstick and thinks, "Oooh, this could be a little more sonic?" Wink The sound was a bit odd, though. They should just use the same sound that the Doctor's Sonic Screwdriver makes.

I think I glanced through the thread before I watched the program, so Slurm was probably in the back of my mind already...but this was totally the Slurm factory episode from Futurama. All that was missing was for Muffin to say, "Whimmy wham wham wozzle... let's party!"

Slurms Mackenzie

[Quote  by:  DarthSkeptical]
    As for the K-9 bit, well, I appreciated the metaphor, frankly. He belongs in a black hole, with respect to SJS. He has absolutely no relevance to the SJS mythos. He was shoe-horned into her world; altogether appropriate he was shoehorned out. Basically, his script duties are taken over by Mr. Smith, anyway. There were probably better ways to get rid of K-9, but I'm not particularly bothered. He's gone, and that's good enough for me.

Don't get me wrong, I like K-9. But he never should've been in SJS' life. RTD has gone a long way to get some emotional play out of that dreadful JNT decision, but there's no way he should be a regular part of her televised life. This way, at least he's still alive and doin' some good.
    Doctor's.

I know that K-9 was shoehorned in, but between K-9 and Company, The Five Doctors, and School Reunion it's fairly established he's there. I wouldn't have minded him being a little bit more available for an occasional story. Floating in space guarding the rehashed special effect from Impossible Planet is a little sad. Smile

[Quote  by:  DarthSkeptical]
    I really liked that her house was littered with pictures of UNIT pals, and that, in trying to find a name for her adopted kid, she reached for "Harry" and "Alastaire". I'm so glad she didn't choose "John" because that would've been just . . . weird. Despite it's anonymity, that name is still a special one, reserved only for her—and I think we can just about say it now—ex-lover, the Doctor. Neat, too, that her coat evokes the Fourth Doctor's.

I loved the little bits of continuity. The Harry and Alastair. The framed picture of SJS, K-9, and her real dog that was a promotional picture for K-9 and Company.

All in all, I enjoyed the program. Probably more than I've enjoyed watching Torchwood. I still need to find the time to listen to the SJS Big Finish adventures. I was wondering if they would try to acknowledge them at all, but since I'm not very familiar with them I don't know if they did.

As far as the Doc and SJS being "lovers", I guess it depends on whether you think "being lovers" implies a deep mutual love or a physical relationship. Or both. Big Grin

I'm going "Full Circle" and putting my avatar back to what it was when I first joined. :)
      Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, January 02 2007 @ 10:30 PM EST

And the Slurm episode was a homage to Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory.

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!

Tuesday, January 02 2007 @ 11:53 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  DarthSkeptical] Is it? How many times do we need her to say that there's only been one man for her before we get the point? Sure, you can interpret it how you want, and if you're not comfortable with the Doctor taking a lover—even in the face of the evidence of "School Reunion", "Fireplace", "Doomsday", "Runaway" and now "Bane"—there's room for your interpretation. Maybe the Doctor doesn't believe he's been the lover of SJS or RT—but they have definitely been in love with him.

Yes but that's not the same as "lover". I've been thinking this one over and no matter which way I look at it, I just can't picture The Fourth Doctor (or Third Doctor for that matter) and Sarah Jane getting jiggy; not because I have any problem with the Doctor falling in love but simply because that's not the way they were presented on screen in the 1970s.

They were written as a duo who had adventures in time and space every week with state of the art special effects and a few scares thrown in for good measure and any affection shown on-screen is a reflection of the real-life affection that Tom Baker and Liz Sladen had for one another (and we all know that they weren't getting it on off-screen). Romance didn't come into it then. This isn't because of any prudishness on the part of the writers. It's simply because they were writing for a family audience that didn't watch for complex romantic involvements in a Saturday tea-time show. At the time that wasn't what you presented for kids. If you wanted romance, emotion or passion, you watched a period drama, the Saturday movie or Play for Today - you didn't watch Doctor Who, whose writers just wanted to "scare the little buggers to death".

The audience of the time had different expectations of the series from the audience of today.

So - no - I don't think there is any evidence whatsoever that SJ and The Doctor "did it" and any attempt to read anything else into it is simply trying to see something that is not there.

Now of course this makes reconciling that and what we hear in the new series rather tricky so there are two ways I can offer to deal with this:

1.) That Sarah Jane did indeed love the Doctor but it was something that developed over a long period of time and was unrequited because she left him before she had a chance to tell him about it (and there's nothing more tragic and romantic than an unrequited love). She spends all the intervening time waiting for him (and eventually pining for him) and then when he finally comes back she realises she's too old for him and decides to let him go and get on with her own life.

or

2.) That it's just a TV series and - let's face it - Doctor Who is absolutely riddled with continuity errors throughout its history so there's not much point trying to rationalise it all.

Personally I quite like the emotional strength of option 1 but if anyone does pin me down with a well reasoned and compelling argument I like to have option 2 ready to fall back on, just incase Wink

Ho hum! Another mystery solved.

Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, January 03 2007 @ 07:27 AM EST
    [Quote  by:  DarthSkeptical] SPOILERS TO FOLLOW

The actors playing Luke, Maria, the Dad and the Mum are all fantastic. Maria was the character I was most worried about but she's actually a positive reason to watch the show rather than just an "acceptable" sidekick.

I totally agree. She's the most charismatic young actress I've seen in a while. She brings me back to the 70s when several kids shows I watched had groups of young kids as main characters. I really like her.

[Quote  I was well impressed with the visual design of the Bane. I'd go so far as to say that, visually, it's possibly the most impressive CGI alien done in the RTD Whoniverse. And of course as far as the "human" part of the alien, Samantha Bond was a joy. In fact, of the two "star" villains this year, Bond's Bane was more enjoyable than the Racnoss.

Ugh. The Racnoss... they made a huge error starting her off with a close-up on faulty makeup on an all-too-human face. It ruined the effect of her entirely. And she was a poor creature design. This one was a bit like the thing in the roof of the broadcasting space station, but the moving version we saw in Sarah's house was nicely done and moved beautifully.

[Quote Kelsey's the one element I was least sure of. I thought for the most part she was able to deliver a convincing characterization, and I don't have a problem with her "cotton-mouthedness", but there were a few scenes where I think she fundamentally missed the right cadence with her lines. I'm glad she seems to be on the "outside" of the main three characters.

Sadly I fear she'll be more regular a character. But I really didn't like her at all. She was just one notch above Chloe for acting ability. I thought they might be the same girl for a bit. (I havent' checked... is she?)

[Quote Don't get me wrong, I like K-9. But he never should've been in SJS' life. RTD has gone a long way to get some emotional play out of that dreadful JNT decision, but there's no way he should be a regular part of her televised life. This way, at least he's still alive and doin' some good.

Well, RTD did do a bit of that himself. He could have left Sarah Jane on her own again, but he left her with a new version of K-9 just last year.

[Quote I really liked that her house was littered with pictures of UNIT pals, and that, in trying to find a name for her adopted kid, she reached for "Harry" and "Alastaire". I'm so glad she didn't choose "John" because that would've been just . . . weird. Despite it's anonymity, that name is still a special one, reserved only for her—and I think we can just about say it now—ex-lover, the Doctor. Neat, too, that her coat evokes the Fourth Doctor's.

But John Smith is the name used for someone anonymous. It would have worked perfectly, and been a perfect homage to her not-lover, the Doctor.

Look, man, people can have serious, deep relationships without being lovers. I consider it quite obvious that Tom Baker's Doctor and Sarah Jane Smith had a deep love, but not a physical one. And I watched every single episode with the two of them.

[Quote Overall, while I would've preferred SJS as a cast member on Torchwood, or in a more adult setting of her own, this is a good and noble use of her character, along with a solid introduction of intriguing new characters.

I guess nothing would stop her from making an appearance or two on Torchwood. That would be quite interesting. So far, however, it seems SJS is oblivious to Torchwood's existence.

But she has so many alien gadgets it wouldn't surprise me a bit that Torchwood will come calling to take them all away from her.

Sean.

One solid hope is worth a cartload of uncertainties.

Wednesday, January 03 2007 @ 07:36 AM EST
    [Quote  by:  Abersoch who nailed it] 1.) That Sarah Jane did indeed love the Doctor but it was something that developed over a long period of time and was unrequited because she left him before she had a chance to tell him about it (and there's nothing more tragic and romantic than an unrequited love). She spends all the intervening time waiting for him (and eventually pining for him) and then when he finally comes back she realises she's too old for him and decides to let him go and get on with her own life.

How many archetypal characters have we seen in literature, on TV, in movies, of the elderly woman who fell in love (unrequited often) with a man, had him leave, promise to come back, and she wasted away waiting for his return?

Even in a play I performed in High School, written by a respected Newfoundland Playwright, we had a character of Nell, the old woman who once fell in love with a young sailor who went off promising a return, but never did. Clearly to him she was just another woman in another port, but to her, she was her life and hope.

She withered away still thinking he would return.

This departure just on the verge of a breakthrough (SJS did a bit of a tantrum, expecting the Doctor to stop her from leaving, but then found out he was basicaly kicking her out) she suffered a very similar feeling - the feeling of unrequited love that she would hopefully soon one day get to do something about - but she just waits and waits and waits... until School Reunion.

It's very sad, really, but it sets her character up well for the new series. She's grabbed her life back and who knows what will happen now?

Sean.

Wednesday, January 03 2007 @ 12:28 PM EST

Loved that car! Where can I get one?

Did I mention how much I loved that car???

Sean.

I agree, Does anyone know the make/model?
    I think i might get one too!

Drink
      Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, January 03 2007 @ 01:38 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  stjohnny]

I agree, Does anyone know the make/model?
    I think i might get one too!

Found out from another forum that it is in fact a Nissan Figaro

here

EDIT:- it does like the direct link:-

http://www.autosupplyuk.com/nissan_figaro.html

Cheers, daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali

Wednesday, January 03 2007 @ 01:44 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  seanhuxter] So far, however, it seems SJS is oblivious to Torchwood's existence.

Didn't she make a sideways reference to the Torchwood organization? I seem to remember her saying (in addition to her comment about the government going in "guns blazing") that there were organizations out there that dealt with aliens. I took that to mean Torchwood. ( I suppose she could have meant UNIT, but UNIT is actually a government organization.)

Did you say "74,384,338 to 1 against"? That's my lucky number!
      Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, January 03 2007 @ 07:32 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  rocko]
    [Quote  by:  seanhuxter] So far, however, it seems SJS is oblivious to Torchwood's existence.

Didn't she make a sideways reference to the Torchwood organization? I seem to remember her saying (in addition to her comment about the government going in "guns blazing") that there were organizations out there that dealt with aliens. I took that to mean Torchwood. ( I suppose she could have meant UNIT, but UNIT is actually a government organization.)

She meant UNIT. She was involved with UNIT, and saw them goin "guns ablazin'" many times.

Sean.

Wednesday, January 03 2007 @ 07:41 PM EST

She meant UNIT. She was involved with UNIT, and saw them goin "guns ablazin'" many times.

Sean.

All together now....

'Benton....five rounds rapid'

Cheers, daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali

Wednesday, January 03 2007 @ 11:11 PM EST
    I enjoyed the program. It was fun to see the new and improved Sarah Jane Smith. I'd agree with most of the other posts about the kids. Of course, I have to admit that I'm a bit north of the target age so they all might be fine.

I'll be eager to see where the show goes from here. I liked the optimistic tone in terms to dealing with out of this world challenges.

So I've been enjoying the Who Universe feast this past week. Now begins the quiet months.

Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, January 04 2007 @ 03:13 AM EST
    Finally got around to watching it, and I have to say I loved it for the most part.
    I did think the villain overplayed her role maybe just a liiiitle bit, but it is a children's show, so... meh.
    The real problem I have is with K-9... if they didn't want him to be a regular "cast member" like SJS and the kids... rather than have him 'plugging up a black hole with his bum' so to speak, why not just keep him at home? Rather than have that over the top "Mr. Smith" computer, use K-9 there instead. Say she doesn't take him out 'cause he attracts too much attention/isn't from this time period/whatever. Keep him at home and use him for her supercomputer instead, certainly makes more sense to me than believing that she somehow built that thing since School Reunion. One assumes she would have had to use K-9 as a database at least, so...

Anyway, long winded, sorry. On a positive note, sonic lipstick! Big Grin
    Haven't you ever had a long night? Had a lot of... lipstick to put on...? heh, I dunno, perfect way to hide it though. Brilliant!

'They may shoot me dead, but I have the moral high ground!'
      Profile    PM    Email   

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed