The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing the 2014 Series Scheduled for Sunday, Nov 30
  • Peter Capaldi Being Interviewed by Craig Ferguson in 2009 [VIDEO]
  • Doctor Who Christmas Special 2014 Preview from BBC Children in Need
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 318 - 'Death in Heaven' Reviewed
  • Doctor Who Christmas Special 2014 Promo "Trailer" Video
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Death in Heaven? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Death in Heaven' Scheduled for Sunday, Nov 09
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 317 - 'Dark Water' Reviewed
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Dark Water? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Dark Water' Scheduled for Sunday, Nov 02

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Daleks Invade Manchester:- Dalek Picture 16
    Daleks Invade Manchester:- Dalek Picture 16
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  Torchwood - Series 2 »  [SPOILERS] TW S2 Epi 1: Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang!
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    [SPOILERS] TW S2 Epi 1: Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang! Views: 2800
     Thursday, January 17 2008 @ 10:00 PM EST
    Enjoyed pretty much every moment of it!

Loved that the group didn't take Jack back into the fold right away. Loved that he came back for GWEN! That moment ALMOST pulled my heartstrings -- almost!

But I think my favorite moment was after Jon/Spike dropped the mugger off the (same one that was in the series premier) parking ramp, walked away and said "Thirsty now." Totally brought me back to my favorite Buffy episodes where we had Alt. Universe Willow-the-Vampire. She used to eat something/torture something/etc., and then say "Bored Now." Loved that.

It also looks like Tosh is going to be a little more assertive this year - can't wait, whereas Ianto might be a wet rag - that'll bite.

supremacy is relative
      Profile    PM    Email   

Friday, January 18 2008 @ 03:33 PM EST
    I liked it. I thought it was very tight. Great production work. For what it's worth, I thought this was a much stronger opening episode than last seasons.

I'm in line with Huxter, I was humming "Don't drink, don't smoke, what do ya do...". The Adam Ant look was fantastic though. Wonderfully over the top in a sense. Marsters pulls it off.

I'm anxious to see how Martha Jones fits in with the more "adult" Torchwood. I need to watch the teaser again.

Formerly that jerk Jagoscourage
      Profile    PM    Email   

Friday, January 18 2008 @ 05:26 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  Cowboy76] I liked it. I thought it was very tight. Great production work. For what it's worth, I thought this was a much stronger opening episode than last seasons.

I'm in line with Huxter, I was humming "Don't drink, don't smoke, what do ya do...". The Adam Ant look was fantastic though. Wonderfully over the top in a sense. Marsters pulls it off.

I'm anxious to see how Martha Jones fits in with the more "adult" Torchwood. I need to watch the teaser again.

And West has said this Sunday's podcast - in the 1pm EST slot will be about the Torchwood Series 2 first episode.

Cheers, daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Friday, January 18 2008 @ 08:54 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  cybercolin] Good episode but why oh why does RTD have to keep reminding us that he created 'Queer As Folk'. The show would be a lot better if they got on with writing a good story (which in Torchwood, is very rare!), instead of putting in as much gay kisses as they can! Now I personally don't have anything against it, but many potential viewers don't want to see that kind of stuff, its sad but true.

I'm in agreement here. I mean we all get it.

RTD is actually performing an interesting feat here - normalizing a behavior too many people consider abnormal. Frequent exposure to it only helps public acceptance of it. But do we have to have this level of it in every episode?

I don't like it any more than I would like it if it was heterosexual snogging constantly. Not on a show like this. I'd expect it on a romantic comedy, but Torchwood is not a romantic comedy.

That said, it can be quite romantic. The best episode in my opinion so far was the time-traveling airplane episode in which Owen actually fell in love with a woman. It was an excellent episode not because it was man-woman, but because it showed a side of Owen we weren't used to seeing, nor did we believe existed. Nice to see him on the other side of a one-way fling for a change.

I wouldn't like it if X-Files had Scully and Mulder snogging everything they saw on a regular basis either. (Well, not on-screen anyway.)

Whatever the male-female combination, Torchwood needs to tone down the on-screen sexual content. It's just not necessary for most of their storylines.

(It is for some, however, such as the aforementioned one, or the one in which the alien fed on sexual energy... but for this premier episode? No. Not necessary.)

Sean.

One solid hope is worth a cartload of uncertainties.

Friday, January 18 2008 @ 08:55 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  mad4plaid]But I think my favorite moment was after Jon/Spike dropped the mugger off the (same one that was in the series premier) parking ramp, walked away and said "Thirsty now."

Yes, my whole body cheered when he said that.

(Was that mugger in episode 1? Will have to re-watch it.)

Sean.

Saturday, January 19 2008 @ 10:49 AM EST

nEW SHOW CLICK HERE TO HEAR

fixed Ta

Guest Host on the WHOCAST

Sunday, January 20 2008 @ 05:46 AM EST
    I watched this again yesterday; despite the fact that I couldnt really make up my mind when I initially saw it (was it excellent or dreadful?) - it easily held my attention for the 45 minutes it lasted.

Nothing dies of old age on Skaro!
      Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, January 20 2008 @ 10:51 AM EST
    Fantastic start to the new series, great to see it lightened a little, with cracking gags thrown in.

Excallibur? Blizard? ...Bikini Cops?
      Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, January 20 2008 @ 11:22 AM EST
    [Quote  by:  cybercolin] Good episode but why oh why does RTD have to keep reminding us that he created 'Queer As Folk'. The show would be a lot better if they got on with writing a good story (which in Torchwood, is very rare!), instead of putting in as much gay kisses as they can! Now I personally don't have anything against it, but many potential viewers don't want to see that kind of stuff, its sad but true.

I saw this first episode of series 2 of Torchwood... Kiss Kiss, Boom Boom... It was a little a disappointing only because I had just rewatched Series 1 (in high definition on HDNet), and the series (Series 1) had been building up so much for it's climax of the last couple episodes, that obviously the first episode of the new series couldn't really match that momentum.

Yeah, that RTD... Does he have to keep throwing that heterosexual stuff down our throats? Must we constantly be reminded that Gwen and Reese are in a relationship? Living together even! Now they are engaged to be married. Did they have to make a point in doing that? Not to mention having to see Gwen with Owen... plus all that business with Owen and that pilot from the 1950's. Diane I believe her name was... All that on-screen love making between them in that episode... Jeesh. We know they are straight, do we have to be reminded of it? Plus there is Ianto and that girlfriend that turned into a Cyberwoman. What was Ianto doing in a relationship with Lisa. All this straight sex and relationships in Torchwood... Come on RTD. "Now, I personally don't have anything against it, but many potential viewers don't want to see that kind of stuff, it's sad but true." -- Wink

From what I have seen, we haven't even seen much in terms of gay relationships or gay sex in Torchwood... it has more omnisexual or bisexual. What ongoing character or any character of significance is gay in Torchwood? None. I don't see much here that reminds me of Queer as Folk as far as representing gay and lesbian characters. In fact, they have pretty much completely skirted around gay characterizations by making people omnisexual instead.

What bothers me concerning representations of same-sex relationships we have seen so far in the series is that they all have been rather shallow. I only hope that may change in Series 2. Perhaps with what might develop between Captain Jack and Ianto.

Cheers,
    Louis

☛ Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LouisTrapani ♥ ♥

Sunday, January 20 2008 @ 11:44 AM EST
    [Quote  by:  Louis]
    Yeah, that RTD... Does he have to keep throwing that heterosexual stuff down our throats? Must we constantly be reminded that Gwen and Reese are in a relationship? Living together even! Now they are engaged to be married. Did they have to make a point in doing that? Not to mention having to see Gwen with Owen... plus all that business with Owen and that pilot from the 1950's. Diane I believe her name was... All that on-screen love making between them in that episode... Jeesh. We know they are straight, do we have to be reminded of it? Plus there is Ianto and that girlfriend that turned into a Cyberwoman. What was Ianto doing in a relationship with Lisa. All this straight sex and relationships in Torchwood... Come on RTD. "Now, I personally don't have anything against it, but many potential viewers don't want to see that kind of stuff, it's sad but true." -- Wink

Cheers,
    Louis

Yeah, that RTD... Does he have to keep throwing that Owen ickyness down our throats? Must we constantly be reminded that Gwen and Owen have a "working" relationship? Not to mention having to see that couple in S1E1 with Owen... plus all that business with Owen and that pilot from the 1950's. Diane I believe her name was... All that on-screen love making between them in that episode... Jeesh. We know that Owen is icky, do we have to be reminded of it? "Now, I personally don't have anything against it, but many potential viewers don't want to see that kind of stuff, it's sad but true." -- Wink

Yes RTD Burn is a strange, strange man Eek!

I'm a Time Traveler, I point and laugh at archaeologist.

Sunday, January 20 2008 @ 11:49 AM EST
    [Quote  by:  seanhuxter]

I'm in agreement here. I mean we all get it.

RTD is actually performing an interesting feat here - normalizing a behavior too many people consider abnormal. Frequent exposure to it only helps public acceptance of it. But do we have to have this level of it in every episode?

I don't like it any more than I would like it if it was heterosexual snogging constantly. Not on a show like this. I'd expect it on a romantic comedy, but Torchwood is not a romantic comedy.

Wait a sex... I mean, wait sec.. I find it hard to believe anyone would make a fuss if it was solely heterosexual snogging constantly in the series. I haven't heard that much outrage over the constant escapades of Captain Kirk in the original Star Trek series.

While I agree, I think the sexual references in Torchwood are a bit over the top. It doesn't need to be that way. I also believe if it were all completely straight heterosexual references, it would probably be accepted as "normal" -- right.

Yeah, I guess you are right... Aliens dropping through a rift in Cardiff would be considered "abnormal" for most people. RTD is performing an interesting feat by "normalizing" it. With frequent exposure, everyone will accept that there are aliens and alien technology centered in Cardiff and will just pass it off as normal behavior to see a blow fish driving a sports car in town. "Oh, that Torchwood!" Wink

As for characters sexual orientation and behavior, my concern is that there is very little of substance that we have seen so far... even Gwen and Reese which is the most substantial relationship we have seen so far, has been shaky at best. But now they are engaged... We will see how this all plays out. Homosexual characters and relationships? So far, we haven't seen any... Captain Jack and his lost friend which we meet in this episode are clearly omnisexual and perhaps Ianto and Tosh are bisexual.

Though I suppose we can impose the Kinsey scale to all the characters in the series.. or for that matter real life. Not everyone will fall into the "6" or "0" category, but rather mostly likely somewhere in between.

Cheers,
    Louis

Sunday, January 20 2008 @ 03:24 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  Louis]Wait a sex... I mean, wait sec.. I find it hard to believe anyone would make a fuss if it was solely heterosexual snogging constantly in the series. I haven't heard that much outrage over the constant escapades of Captain Kirk in the original Star Trek series.

I would. It's not necessary. X-Files, the show this is obviously based on, doesn't have it. Doctor Who, the show that this is spun off from didn't have it (until RTD came along, changing it up.)

I don't see why it's at all necessary? I mean I don't mind some (either sex, combined with either sex) but they don't have to focus on it. I did make the exception of the one show where the three time travellers came back from the 1950s - that was integral to the plotline, as was the one about the alien feeding off sexual energy.

The rest? I can take it or leave it. I just don't like having it shoved down my throat every single episode. And I will say the same of Star Trek. It's not every episode of the old series where Kirk snogged a green-skinned alien, and I always found those to be rather stupid.

Star Trek: The Next Generation didn't have a lot of it - an occasional bit, and usually when they were somehow impared by alien phenomena or something - but most of the Science Fiction shows I watch I like because there's not a lot of sexual activity going on. Don't see much of it in Stargate or other shows I like. Don't see a lot of it on CSI or Law & Order... it just seems superfluous.

[Quote  by:  Louis]While I agree, I think the sexual references in Torchwood are a bit over the top. It doesn't need to be that way. I also believe if it were all completely straight heterosexual references, it would probably be accepted as "normal" -- right.

Oh, in the general populace you're probably completely right there. But it wasn't what I was saying. To me I couldn't care less the sex of either party, I just don't need to see it in every episode. It's not 90210, it's Torchwood. It's a sci-fi series and that's what I'm interested in. If I wanted hot babes and boys snogging hot babes and boys I'd watch "Sex and the City" or "Queer as Folk". And in those shows it's appropriate, considering it's what those shows are about.

But this isn't about that.

[Quote  by:  Louis]As for characters sexual orientation and behavior, my concern is that there is very little of substance that we have seen so far... even Gwen and Reese which is the most substantial relationship we have seen so far, has been shaky at best. But now they are engaged... We will see how this all plays out.

Judging from what we've seen so far, it isn't going to work out very well - nor last long.

Sean.

Sunday, January 20 2008 @ 07:56 PM EST
    I haven't read any of the thread yet, but wanted to put down my initial thoughts. Part of me is amazed that they've actually taken what was bad about season 1 and done even more of it. By the end of show my only thought was, "what is this? Melrose Place?" All I see is various love triangles (or lust triangles). I don't care about that. Captain John was kind of interesting, but there was so much of the relationship stuff (I could care less if it's hetero- or homo-) with Jack that I just didn't care about the Time Agency or who that person that he found was or anything. And all the stuff with Jack and Gwen, or Jack and Ianto, or Tosh and Owen...I don't care! You want to make a show like X-Files? Here's a hint...they intentionally avoided any hint of a relationship between Mulder and Scully until the seventh season. Evil

===

Ok, and now for all of my replies to posts in the previous threads.

[Quote  by:  daveac]
    Well a lot better start than Primeval.

I had a couple issues with Primeval's first episode of series 2, but I still liked it more than this.

[Quote  by:  shockeye07] Really enjoyable. Some very funny bits, the old lady at the beginning "bloody Torchwood", the Obi wan bit. Fast paced & very excting though I found the music a bit overbearing. Looking forward to the rest of the series.

That was my first sign of a problem. Again, the mysterious secret organization of Torchwood is known to everybody.

[Quote  by:  geekweekFL]im looking forward to seeing martha in the hub the most.

That's the one thing I'm looking forward to, that will keep me watching.

[Quote  by:  mad4plaid]But I think my favorite moment was after Jon/Spike dropped the mugger off the (same one that was in the series premier) parking ramp, walked away and said "Thirsty now." Totally brought me back to my favorite Buffy episodes where we had Alt. Universe Willow-the-Vampire. She used to eat something/torture something/etc., and then say "Bored Now." Loved that.

I caught that, too, and I really wanted to like Jon more, but the Melrose Place aspect of the show just made it too difficult.

I wouldn't like it if X-Files had Scully and Mulder snogging everything they saw on a regular basis either. (Well, not on-screen anyway.)

Whatever the male-female combination, Torchwood needs to tone down the on-screen sexual content. It's just not necessary for most of their storylines.

I guess I don't need to really quote this only to say I agree completely, but I figured since you were making the Mulder/scully reference, too, I'd give credit that you brought it up before I did. Big Grin

[Quote  by:  Louis]
    Wait a sex... I mean, wait sec.. I find it hard to believe anyone would make a fuss if it was solely heterosexual snogging constantly in the series. I haven't heard that much outrage over the constant escapades of Captain Kirk in the original Star Trek series.

I disagree. I would be making just as much a fuss if it were all just hetero snogging. I have absolutely no interest in Tosh pining over Owen, and Owen realizing he just wants a woman that he has something in common with, etc. etc. And I don't think Kirk's escapades were ever this bad. I know he got some action from time to time, but this is ridiculous.

I would. It's not necessary. X-Files, the show this is obviously based on, doesn't have it. Doctor Who, the show that this is spun off from didn't have it (until RTD came along, changing it up.)
    Oh, in the general populace you're probably completely right there. But it wasn't what I was saying. To me I couldn't care less the sex of either party, I just don't need to see it in every episode. It's not 90210, it's Torchwood. It's a sci-fi series and that's what I'm interested in. If I wanted hot babes and boys snogging hot babes and boys I'd watch "Sex and the City" or "Queer as Folk". And in those shows it's appropriate, considering it's what those shows are about.

Great post Sean. Sums up my problems with the episode/show completely.

I'm going "Full Circle" and putting my avatar back to what it was when I first joined. :)
      Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, January 20 2008 @ 09:19 PM EST

I think the general consensus is in terms of sexual references, that there are more than there needs to be in Torchwood. Not that it should be avoided completely, but it seems to go out of it's way wedge as much as it can get away with in each episode it seems. Most of the time it doesn't come off natural, but rather forced. Sort of the thinking, "now that we can do it this (after watershed) we have to do it" -- it comes across that way.

Cheers,
    Louis

Sunday, January 20 2008 @ 09:46 PM EST
    Just to beat a dead horse: Personally I always had problems with Captain Kirk moving alien to alien every episode. To start with, I was a very young, naive, church-twice-a-week chick when I first started to watch it on afternoon re-runs (I don't know, five years old, maybe?). I just couldn't understand how he had a new "wife" every week (b/c you were only supposed to have 'relations' - whatever those were, I was only 5 - with your spouse, right?).

By the time I was older and watching those episodes it just seemed so silly and pointless that he kept bed hopping! And one drunken night during college, my boyfriend and I pondered how nice it was that AIDS would be eradicated by the 24th Century, as well as all other STDS. GOOD NEWS, ya'll!

Now, I just flip channels if I find myself watching old Star Trek and Kirk is bedhopping. It just dates the show so much, and I think that is what it is going to do to Torchwood - though, I don't mean to imply that we'll be watching episodes of Torchwood in 40 years on daytime TV.

When it comes down to it, I think the sex stuff just takes away from them being able to develop a good sci-fi/fantasy show.

supremacy is relative
      Profile    PM    Email   

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed