The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Listen? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Listen' Scheduled for Sunday, Sept 14th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 309 - 'Robot of Sherwood' Reviewed
  • Patrick Troughton as Robin Hood Seen in 'Robot of Sherwood'
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Robot of Sherwood? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Robot of Sherwood' Scheduled for Sunday, Sept 7th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 308 - 'Into The Dalek' Reviewed
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Into the Dalek? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 307 - 'Deep Breath' Reviewed
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Deep Breath? (5=Fantastic)

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Louise Jameson
    Louise Jameson
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  Torchwood - Series 2 »  [Spoilers] TW S2 Epi.2 'Sleeper'
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    [Spoilers] TW S2 Epi.2 'Sleeper' Views: 1899
     Wednesday, January 23 2008 @ 06:08 PM EST
    There will be Spoilers

Well we're up and running and the Captain Jack intro is back!

Good solid episode with a high 'Gore' rating - and a real 'science fiction' theme to up the tension levels.

The 'aliens' were well realised and and the 'threat level' turned up a few notches.

Looks like the series is off to a flying start.

Cheers, daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Wednesday, January 23 2008 @ 07:40 PM EST
    I have to agree Dave, I really enjoyed a Torchwood episode for once. Don't worry i'll save my insults for a later episode. They've got to slip up somewhere! Anyway, heres my review:

Blog

Well, that’s better! None of the team tried to sleep with anything this week, (okay Owen panicked for a second!) AND we had a decent story, for once!

The story begins with a ‘run-of-the-mill mass murder’, after thieves broke into a house. Sadly for them, one of the occupants was an alien ‘sleeper cell’ and they were killed, quite horribly! To make it worse, it was a woman! (If no women write in now, they never will!)

So the team, quite literally, nick the woman and before you can say ‘Ow! That hurts!’ she is being probed as badly as an illegal immigrant! And like a probe into an illegal immigrant, she (or to be fair, her ‘alien’ part) fools the team and escapes the hub and before you know it, other sleeper cells are causing havoc in Cardiff city centre. Much like a normal Saturday night, to be fair!

The acting seems to have gone up a notch, again, although I’m not too sure on Ianto trying to be funny. Just make the tea! The effects were better, the explosions made me jump! Not too sure on the ‘Terminator 2’ rip-off, nor the baby ‘killing’ but it is (supposed) to be science fiction!

Overall a big improvement on the ‘buddy’ episode that was ‘Kiss, Kiss, Bang, Bang’, although something original won’t go a miss! With the remaining ‘sleeper cells’ still out there, I’m sure they’ll be back, which is fine by me. Anything but pointless shagging scenes!

9/10

Next Week: I watch the next episode with a magnifying glass, as I see if Jack still has the hole in his coat, where the male sleeper cell stabbed him!

Please check out my blog, as I attempt to watch and review EVERY Doctor Who episode! http://journeythroughtimeandspace.blogspot.com/

Thursday, January 24 2008 @ 02:29 AM EST

Terminology: singular=sleeper agent; group=sleeper cell.

It was great to have a story with a plot. One that sorta makes sense. OK, I think that some of the sleepers blew themselves up too quickly, but then again, they are alien.

I really enjoyed watching this episode. This shows us what Torchwood could be, if they keep to the theme(s) of the series. And we got all this without the requisite snog/shag-fest. Hopefully, this is a sign of things to come in the series.

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!

Thursday, January 24 2008 @ 02:35 AM EST

It seemed hollow for me. Perhaps if there was some motivation explained on why the sleeper cell were here instead just merely wanting to "take over" or "launch an attack" or whatever the hastily stated in this story.

Seemed like some ingredients were missing in this meal.

Cheers,
    Louis

☛ Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LouisTrapani ♥ ♥

Thursday, January 24 2008 @ 09:23 AM EST
    As reported back in June, this episode was writer James Moran's initial effort for the team at Upper Boat. Based on its strengths I find myself in high hopes for his upcoming episode of Doctor Who. It had a lovely balance of emotion and fear, with some nice continuity touches for the well-used regulars. Nice to have an ensemble cast used as an ensemble.

Colin Teague's direction was back to its taut, moody Torchwood-iness, thankfully far afield of his DW/SJA camp.

The only problem — and it's a big one — is that the whole affair was highly derivative of Battlestar Galactica. Granted, if he was going to copy from somewhere, at least Moran chose some place good, but most of the drama — well-delivered as it may have been — was still wholesale retread from a source Moran almost certainly knew about. Beth might as well have been Boomer.

That said, the sleeper agents had my attention way more than most human-imitative species, and I wouldn't mind finding out more about the culture that employs them. Perhaps the mythos will carry over into Doctor Who.

Who knows? Maybe this was the first wave of a new Zygon threat. There certainly was something nicely organic (i.e. Zygonesque) about the technology they employed.

"I think of myself as ambitious in casting terms, and I know that Bonnie [Langford] has the potential to make the part totally unirritating . . ." — JNT, 1986

Thursday, January 24 2008 @ 11:41 PM EST
    Wow! Easily the best episode of Torchwood.

Intelligent story. No shagging.

Looks to me like an ongoing storyline too. Perhaps
    this and ongoing Captain John storylines to fill the majority of the series.

Seemed almost like an episode of the New Avengers to me (or the Avengers of that matter).

Lets hope more to follow.

In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed are Kings
      Profile    PM    Email   

Friday, January 25 2008 @ 10:51 AM EST

Click here to hear

The new Tin Dog Podcast. All About Sleeper...

Guest Host on the WHOCAST

Friday, January 25 2008 @ 05:54 PM EST
    I did enjoy the episode (and the lack of snogging/shagging), although I agree with Louis that something seemed lacking...

The mood of the music was off somehow for me, especially during the drive to the facility where the warheads were kept.

It seems Ianto is going to be this season's comic relief! ("He is dashing- you have to give him that.", etc)

Did you say "74,384,338 to 1 against"? That's my lucky number!
      Profile    PM    Email   

Saturday, January 26 2008 @ 09:48 AM EST

On a Digital Spy thread 'salochin' mentions that he thinks this episode 'Sleeper' was filmed first - as the Captain John episodes will have been made in a block.

When I think back to the start of 'Kiss,kiss - Bang,bang' and the big 'teaster' at the start I'm not sure.

What do other's think? (and does it matter Confused )

Cheers, daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali

Saturday, January 26 2008 @ 01:03 PM EST
    My lack of enthusiasm for the show is reflected by how late I'm posting about the episode. My wife and I watched it a few days ago. Overall, we liked it better than KKBB. There were still a few things that were annoying, and it did feel a little hollow like Louis said. But for the most part it engaged us. I have yet to watch any of the new Declassifieds, so I don't know if any insights came out there. I'd probably give this show a 3, maybe a 3.5 if that were available.

I'm going "Full Circle" and putting my avatar back to what it was when I first joined. :)
      Profile    PM    Email   

Saturday, January 26 2008 @ 06:38 PM EST
    Linquel - no useful background in the Declassified. Some interesting information on reaction to Torchwood's filming this episode right after the attempt to blow up the Glasgow airport by a sleeper cell, though.

I enjoyed this episode. I'm going to leave it at that, really, as it didn't really stick with me. But the tension factor was up there during the show.

Except - I didn't miss the voice-over intro. Wish that would go away again.

supremacy is relative
      Profile    PM    Email   

Saturday, January 26 2008 @ 11:51 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  mad4plaid]Except - I didn't miss the voice-over intro. Wish that would go away again.

I did notice that they changed the ending of the voice-over intro..instead of "And you gotta be ready" now it's "And we're ready" or something like that.

I'm going "Full Circle" and putting my avatar back to what it was when I first joined. :)
      Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, January 27 2008 @ 10:58 AM EST
    [Quote  by:  Louis]

It seemed hollow for me. Perhaps if there was some motivation explained on why the sleeper cell were here instead just merely wanting to "take over" or "launch an attack" or whatever the hastily stated in this story.

Seemed like some ingredients were missing in this meal.

Cheers,
    Louis

I think I can answer that. It was quick, but if you looked carefully around the city during the city shots something unusual could be seen that explains the whole thing.

Sean.

One solid hope is worth a cartload of uncertainties.

Sunday, January 27 2008 @ 11:58 AM EST
    I thought it was alright.

Although I thought last week's probably had a bit too much going on, I certainly preferred that to this (for all it's faults, in the week which it was available I gladly watched KKBB twice. I'm certainly not about to look up Sleeper on my catch up TV section).

I too thought it was very heavy on the Battlestar Galactica side (and maybe that explains my lack of enthusiasm, as it simply doesnt stand up when directly compared to that).

I found it ok, maybe even good - but certainly not great.

3 (maybe 3.5) outta 5.

Nothing dies of old age on Skaro!
      Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, February 04 2008 @ 05:15 AM EST
    [Quote  by:  Tardis-Knight] I thought it was alright.

Although I thought last week's probably had a bit too much going on, I certainly preferred that to this (for all it's faults, in the week which it was available I gladly watched KKBB twice. I'm certainly not about to look up Sleeper on my catch up TV section).

I too thought it was very heavy on the Battlestar Galactica side (and maybe that explains my lack of enthusiasm, as it simply doesnt stand up when directly compared to that).

I found it ok, maybe even good - but certainly not great.

3 (maybe 3.5) outta 5.

CIA yesterday (3rd Feb) was all about this Torchwood episode:-

here

Cheers, daveac

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed
    Words are censored