The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'In the Forest of the Night' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 26
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 315 - 'Flatline' Reviewed
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Flatline? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Flatline' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 19th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 314 - 'Mummy on the Orient Express' Reviewed
  • Music Video of 'Don't Stop Me Now' Performed by Foxes from Doctor Who 'Mummy on the Orient Express'
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Mummy on the Orient Express? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Mummy on the Orient Express' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 12th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 313 - 'Kill the Moon' Reviewed
  • The Curse Of The Black Tooth - Spoilers!

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Podshock Live at Gallifrey 2008
    Podshock Live at Gallifrey 2008
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  Torchwood - Series 2 »  [Spoilers] TW S2 Epi 3 'To The Last Man'
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    [Spoilers] TW S2 Epi 3 'To The Last Man' Views: 2313
     Friday, February 01 2008 @ 10:41 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  cybercolin] I would love that personally. He was by far the most intresting person in TW, speaks volumes for the rest of the cast doesn't it!

(sorry:

I Must Not Diss Torchwood

I'll try to remember for next week!)

Hey, if you didn't like the episode, you didn't like it...

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Saturday, February 02 2008 @ 08:35 PM EST
    I really liked this episode - and for purely girlish reasons. I know others (no names, please) didn't like the relationship between Tosh and Tommy and alluded to her leaving women for him. But she and Tommy have known each other for at least three years (or three days, depending on perspective) accordind to Tommy, so Tosh fell for him prior to her alien lesbian stint. I actually felt the old heart strings start pulling as we neared the climax of this episode. No tears, but almost a few choking up moments.

What perplexed me was when Tommy went back through the rift, everything he experienced left him: he was shell-shocked again and unable to act. Why did he revert? That's really what I didn't understand.

Owen's attitude this season has left me perplexed. At the end of last year, I thought he'd been "corrupted" by that alien bite (was that Janet who bit him? I've forgotten). Remember when he went to the cells and all the weevils sort of bowed to him? Now, he's all.... sensitive. He appears to be spending a lot of time thinking about and watching Tosh. Not just in this episode but in the last two as well. I don't know that I like that. Perhaps this is all a set up to when the weevil in him comes out again? Maybe not. Maybe they've dropped the ball on that story line.

As eluded to earlier, I am worried about Ianto. Jack is going to hurt that boy badly. And I do wonder if Rhys is going to make it through the series alive.

Oh, and one final thought on armies shooting victims of shell-shock. The US in WWI considered shell-shock to be a con, and would often list the offense on either death orders or dishonorable discharge forms as mutiny, cowardice, insubordination and disobidience. PTSD wasn't understood or even imagined for that war or WWII.

supremacy is relative
      Profile    PM    Email   

Saturday, February 02 2008 @ 10:05 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  mad4plaid]
    What perplexed me was when Tommy went back through the rift, everything he experienced left him: he was shell-shocked again and unable to act. Why did he revert? That's really what I didn't understand.

Owen's attitude this season has left me perplexed. At the end of last year, I thought he'd been "corrupted" by that alien bite (was that Janet who bit him? I've forgotten). Remember when he went to the cells and all the weevils sort of bowed to him? Now, he's all.... sensitive. He appears to be spending a lot of time thinking about and watching Tosh. Not just in this episode but in the last two as well. I don't know that I like that. Perhaps this is all a set up to when the weevil in him comes out again? Maybe not. Maybe they've dropped the ball on that story line.
    Lovely, thoughtful comments. Smile

On the first point, I think the answer is simply that he never received proper treatment for the condition. From his perspecive, he was, after all, frozen direct from his hospital bed, and returned there a number of days later. So far as was seen on screen, no one actually addressed his shell shock professionally. It would have been fairly unrealistic had he gone back to 1918 and been an automatic hero. I mean, I'm sure sex with Tosh is great, but it's not therapeutic for PTSS.

On the second, I wouldn't be at all surprised to find that the character note has been dropped with Owen. The timbre of the LA Times interview with RTD this week suggests that series 2 is something of a soft-reboot for the program. It's the first time I've heard RTD openly admit that there were problems with Torchwood that needed to be addressed in this current series. Foremost among them: less individual angst, more group hugs. I therefore think we're likely to see cherry-picking when it comes to series 1 concepts. If it can be woven in, such as this episode's obvious hearkening to "Out of Time", then great. If not, well, that's why Torchwood puts Retcon in the water supply . . .

"I think of myself as ambitious in casting terms, and I know that Bonnie [Langford] has the potential to make the part totally unirritating . . ." — JNT, 1986

Sunday, February 03 2008 @ 09:11 AM EST
    For more on Owen's "transformation", you may also want to go here.

"I think of myself as ambitious in casting terms, and I know that Bonnie [Langford] has the potential to make the part totally unirritating . . ." — JNT, 1986

Sunday, February 03 2008 @ 04:29 PM EST
    Darth - thanks for the link to the interview.

I knew they were going to drop some of the angst this year, but I really was looking forward to seeing how the story of Owen after the weevil bite played out. Oh well. I guess I'll instead wait and see how long we can go without an @##hole on the team.

supremacy is relative
      Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, February 03 2008 @ 09:18 PM EST
    Here's my brief review before reading any of the thread...

That could have been a near-perfect episode...if they just left out the stupid kiss between Jack and Ianto. It was completely unnecessary to the story. I also wasn't completely sold by the "projecting Tosh through the rift into Tommy's mind" bit, but could have easily suspended my disbelief if that was the only thing that bugged me. It was still probably one of my top eps of either season, though.

I'm going "Full Circle" and putting my avatar back to what it was when I first joined. :)
      Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, February 04 2008 @ 09:10 AM EST
    My only real picky point with this episode is with the "It has to be you!" attitude of Jack's regarding Tosh and the contents of the time capsule. My whole sense from DW and TW is that time is fluid and plays itself out in the end without manipulation. I would rather have had Jack see the drawing of Tosh and just let the sequence of events play out the way it naturally would. I dunno- I just don't buy into the attitude that "history must be preserved at all costs". I don't think that attitude is prevalent in DW canon (maybe they present that attitude, but they usually end up being an accidental part of history anyway; for example- the fire of london, etc.).

Did you say "74,384,338 to 1 against"? That's my lucky number!
      Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, February 04 2008 @ 09:28 AM EST
    I'm enjoying Torchwood quite a bit now. I thought Series 1 started off slow, but got very good from about midway on. I like how Ianto seems more involved this season compared to last. Just because the kiss between him and Jack isn't exactly my cup of tea, I'm not letting that ruin the show for me. I don't think they threw it in there just for shock value. I'm almost certain that it's there to set up some kind of conflict later in the season...either between him and Jack directly, or via some external entity.

I think it's very rare that a spinoff gets as much attention as the original host show. Is it a bad sign of things to come that I'm looking forward to new TW each week more so than I'm anticipating the start of Series 4? Series 3 let me down so much, and now with the return of Donna and the companion-fest finale coming up...ugh...

Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, February 04 2008 @ 12:05 PM EST

Even though I found this story somewhat predictable, I did enjoy it. In fact, more so than the previous two episodes. I give it 4 out of 5 Weevils.

Cheers,
    Louis

☛ Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LouisTrapani ♥ ♥

Monday, February 04 2008 @ 12:27 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  cybercolin] ...
    Tosh forgets all about her lesbian tendencies and falls for Tommy, who like any young man, is ‘in there’ quicker than John Prescott at a ‘hitting a Welshman contest’. Meanwhile Jack and Ianto are doing yet more gay snogging in a scene that was more pointless than a totally straight man in Torchwood!

Tosh is at best possibly bisexual.. though I think she considers herself straight... or at least mainly so. Aside from that one episode with the alien, her character has always been situated as heterosexual. It would be nice to see her explore more within the same-sex realm, as I would imagine she would be more open to the possibility of her having feelings for others of the same-sex now.

As for Jack and Ianto... again, they both would fall into either bisexual or omnisexual (especially Jack) here, not really "gay." Though I take it that you were just using the term gay in reference to the kiss between them. I don't think it was out of place, it is just leading to something more that we will explore in future episodes. It is a story arc that is developing in the background between the two. How it all plays out is yet to be seen.

At least Ianto is interesting now. Though it seemed a little forced in the first episode in this series... There is a deliberate difference in the character from series 1 to series 2. Having just re-watched series 1 prior to the start of series 2, that difference is very pronounced.

Cheers,
    Louis

Monday, February 04 2008 @ 02:08 PM EST
    What's odd to me is that Ianto seemed so angry at Jack after the death of his girlfriend in the first series that I half expected him to surprise the whole team by betraying them in some way last season. He can't kill Jack but maybe this relationship this season with Jack is some devious plot to hurt him down the line in revenge for his cyber girlfriend. It seems odd that in one series Iant's character would hate someone and then be shagging them the next series.

http://themedusacascadegazette.blogspot.com/
      Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, February 04 2008 @ 04:10 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  LanaiaD] What's odd to me is that Ianto seemed so angry at Jack after the death of his girlfriend in the first series that I half expected him to surprise the whole team by betraying them in some way last season. He can't kill Jack but maybe this relationship this season with Jack is some devious plot to hurt him down the line in revenge for his cyber girlfriend. It seems odd that in one series Iant's character would hate someone and then be shagging them the next series.

You are right, there is definitely a good deal of inconsistency with his character. It seems as if they decided to reshape the character halfway through series 1 and then again at the start of series 2.

All the anger directed at Jack due to the loss of his cyber-girlfriend may have been due to the heat of the moment and passion he had at the time. Perhaps... just supposing in hindsight he sees the situation different and perhaps sees it more clearly without being blinded by the passion he had for her at the time. I don't know.

We can assume that there is still some feelings he has for her, as the end of series 1 she showed up again as a phantom trying to tempt him to open the rift.

Cheers,
    Louis

Tuesday, February 05 2008 @ 11:44 AM EST
    [Quote  by:  LanaiaD] What's odd to me is that Ianto seemed so angry at Jack after the death of his girlfriend in the first series that I half expected him to surprise the whole team by betraying them in some way last season. He can't kill Jack but maybe this relationship this season with Jack is some devious plot to hurt him down the line in revenge for his cyber girlfriend. It seems odd that in one series Iant's character would hate someone and then be shagging them the next series.

I'd thought that a little too LanaiaD - I guess love/lust can make you overcome such concerns! I'd be surprised if it was some sort of devious plot though - I think it was Mad4plaid who said that if anything, Jack's gonna hurt him! I'm more inclined to see it that way that t'other way.

Incidentally (from OG); Episode three of Torchwood, To the Last Man, scored an Appreciation Index figure of 85, once more putting it in the excellent category. It was the BBC's second highest figure for the day.

The edited repeat was watched by 1.1 million viewers, according to overnight figures, a 4.8% share of the total audience. Torchwood Declassified also got 1.1 million viewers. These figures are slightly higher than the actual overnights as they include Scotland and Northern Ireland where Torchwood was not shown.

Nothing dies of old age on Skaro!
      Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, February 05 2008 @ 01:16 PM EST
    This is a bit off topic but Digital Spy has the next episode as Feb 13th. Does that mean there is no episode tomorrow.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/blog/tubetalk/

http://themedusacascadegazette.blogspot.com/
      Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, February 05 2008 @ 01:54 PM EST
    Just checked the schedule on BBC2 and they do list the episode "Meat" as being on tomorrow night.

supremacy is relative
      Profile    PM    Email   

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed