The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 316 - 'In the Forest of the Night' Reviewed
  • Deleted Scenes from The Five(ish) Doctors Reboot
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: In the Forest of the Night? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'In the Forest of the Night' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 26
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 315 - 'Flatline' Reviewed
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Flatline? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Flatline' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 19th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 314 - 'Mummy on the Orient Express' Reviewed
  • Music Video of 'Don't Stop Me Now' Performed by Foxes from Doctor Who 'Mummy on the Orient Express'
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Mummy on the Orient Express? (5=Fantastic)

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    The Story of the Original K9
    The Story of the Original K9
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  Torchwood - Series 2 »  [Spoilers] TW S2 Epi 4: "Meat"
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    [Spoilers] TW S2 Epi 4: "Meat" Views: 1696
     Wednesday, February 06 2008 @ 09:23 PM EST
    There will be spoilers.

Now we are getting somewhere. Not once was I looking at my metaphorical watch. Heavy on the character side and not much comedy. The creature.... Well Ianto seems to be continuing his penchant for having rotating personality disorder Big Grin

Cheers,
    Mike

I'm a Time Traveler, I point and laugh at archaeologist.
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Thursday, February 07 2008 @ 05:58 AM EST
    I thought this was a REALLY strong (possibly excellent even) episode - best of the series so far.

I've always thought Rhys was a bit of a berk - but overall I really liked him here. I thought the argument between him and Gwen was brilliantly played out by both of them. It was like watching a genuine domestic. Likewise in turn the argument between Jack and Rhys was extremely well done (with a bingo call from RTD right at it's conclusion).

The basis of the story was absolutely brutal and left me cold. The idea of alien meat making it's way into the "dodgy pies in Merthyr" is just disgusting; although that particular line left me wailing with laughter! (as did Jack's "you know this is very homo-erotic" and Gwen's reference to "Scooby Doo").

The cries of children like sound effects as the "butcher" cut the meat I initially found to be a bit much, but on reflection I think it said a lot and gave credibility to the notion that because it was indistrial estate sized alien, it wasnt neccesarily a bad guy....

The downside (if I'm being a pedant) - Rhys taking a bullet for Gwen, then waking up to a hero welcome was a bit much. Also, when you only saw the body of the beast I thought the CGI looked brilliant - but the scenes were Owen was stabbing him (and ultimately killing him) looked poor.

Also on downside (and I know we've discussed this over and over) Ianto wanting Jack, Jack wanting Gwen, Jack wanting Ianto, Gwen wanting Jack (even if she won't admit it), Jack going down on aliens, Tosh wanting Owen..... gimme a break).

Even with the drawbacks, I still think this is one of the very best Torchwood's so far; and on the back of last week's episode you've gotta say this series is looking v.v.good!

& we've still got Martha to come!

Nothing dies of old age on Skaro!
      Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, February 07 2008 @ 10:23 AM EST
    its that time again

click here to hear this podcast

Guest Host on the WHOCAST

Thursday, February 07 2008 @ 10:29 AM EST
    anyone else reminded of the creature from the pit? id have loved for us to be eating the ambassador?

its also a bit Sweeny Todd...

Guest Host on the WHOCAST

Thursday, February 07 2008 @ 11:54 AM EST
    So that's what's happened to Michael Jackson's skin..............?

Anyway, looking forward to listening you podcast Mr Dog. But for now here's my weekly rant!

Blog

After I ‘panned’ last week’s episode, surely this week’s couldn’t be any worse? No it wasn’t, but I was tempted!

I almost dismissed the story before it started. The episode was called ‘Meat’ and it was about ‘Alien Meat’! Ok I watched it and it wasn’t as bad as I thought it would have been.

Gwen’s boyfriend Rhys, works for a Haulage firm and when one of their drivers dies in a car crash, he’s called down to talk to the police, then Torchwood turn up.

The meat (in the back of the truck) wasn’t from a recognised animal, but it had an (forged) authentication stamp. So while the team are pissing about, eating pizza, Rhys does some proper detective work and visits the location the deceased driver had been to.

Ran by a few rapscallions, who looked about as viscous as slug smoking Caribbean woodbines, the warehouse held an alien creature that can only be described as a ‘big blob thing’! Seriously, the term ‘cash cow’ doesn’t come into it! So anyway, Rhys confronts Gwen and he’s taken to Torchwood and a few camp mannerisms later, he drives the team to the warehouse.

Once inside, they (eventually) get the better of the men, Rhys gets shot and they all get upset because the ‘big blob thing’ dies. Its hardly got the feeling of ‘Lawrence of Arabia’, but this is Torchwood, so it’ll do!

Without the bigger role of Rhys (and to some extent, the ever improving Ianto), this episode would have been terrible. Now that Gwen has refused to give him any Retcon (which makes you forget, just like a few cans of ‘good shit’!), he now knows all about Torchwood and aliens. Which is pretty confusing, considering London has been invaded by aliens in the last few years of Doctor Who.

7/10

Next Week: Jack gets locked in a toilet in a Cardiff library. You can imagine what happens next…

Please check out my blog, as I attempt to watch and review EVERY Doctor Who episode! http://journeythroughtimeandspace.blogspot.com/

Thursday, February 07 2008 @ 01:32 PM EST

Good point, it did seem to me that Rhys was the only person in Cardiff that did not know about Torchwood. Bit strange that.

Mike

Thursday, February 07 2008 @ 01:52 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  merlin_mccarley] There will be spoilers.

and not much comedy.

Cheers,
    Mike

Not much comedy?

Jack - 'Do I need a licence to truck?' Oops!

Rhys (about Jack) 'There's no chance he's gay I suppose?'

Oh - EDIT - and Jack's 'joke' about having once eaten alien meat

second EDIT - and I'm sure Ianto had a couple of 'one-liners'

Cheers, daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali

Thursday, February 07 2008 @ 02:37 PM EST
    Jack's trucking line really reminded me of that Not The 9 O'Clock News Song - it was probably more by luck than judgement, but he gave the word the same gusto and delivery....

Nothing dies of old age on Skaro!
      Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, February 07 2008 @ 05:03 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  merlin_mccarley]
    Good point, it did seem to me that Rhys was the only person in Cardiff that did not know about Torchwood. Bit strange that.

Mike
    I didn't think that there was any point at which the name "Torchwood" was used around Rhys. Could be wrong, cause I've only seen it once, but identification of the team seemed to me to have been done in very general terms. There wasn't an opportunity for him to have twigged to the name. In any case, I don't think we've seen in the Doctor Who universe a sense that the name "Torchwood" is known by the general public. Rather, it seems to have pervaded police and "conspiracy theorist" cultures.

As for my opinions of the episode as a whole, I was a little, um, underwhelmed by the creature. The Mill just didn't quite get this one right, especially in terms of its interactivity with the actors. It was screamingly obvious CGI; mostly, I think, having to do with lighting effects.

I think I was disappointed, too, that we didn't learn that much about the alien. The team failed in their mission and killed the beast before we got any kind of information about the beast. I wasn't too clear why the plan and resolve to save the beast was so quickly supplanted by a need to kill it. Owen's change of "medication" was impulsive, and yet Jack didn't take him task for it at all. It was immediately accepted as the "necessary" decision, and that bugged me tremendously. I suppose what I'm saying is that I wasn't convinced that the peril to Jack (is there really such a thing as peril to an immortal?) wasn't sufficiently dramatized for me to accept that killing the beast was the only way out.

Now, sure, this episode continued this series' good work in continuing to develop the characters. There were a lot of good moments. Rhys was obviously used in a great way. Jack's love of Gwen is progressing nicely. But the central plot was pretty weak.

One element of the character development that bugged me was Tosh/Owen. While I thought their interaction last week was fabulous, this time we seem to be taking a possible step backwards. I mean, I'm just not quite getting why Tosh is back to mooning over Owen. I got it last season, I get that it should be sorta "smouldering" in the background. But at this point, should she be going out on an emotional limb for him? I dunno, it doesn't quite feel right that she should so quickly after last week. I would've preferred, I think, some degree of him chasing her for a bit. Should they ultimately end up together? Yes, given the options, they're plausible enough. But there's not quite enough reason for Tosh to be pursuing Owen right now. Somehow they've got to be friends first. That's what I thought they were moving towards last week, but this week Tosh is practically throwing herself at him. It doesn't ring true, despite the fact that an Owen/Tosh pairing has been lingering around the Hub since series 1.

Overall, then, I think this was by far the weakest plot of the first four episodes, but still had more of interest in it that the majority of series 1 episodes. I'm still jazzed about this series, and don't think this is a step towards the lows of last series or anything. It kept me interested. But at the end of the day, it left me scratchin' my head a bit.

"I think of myself as ambitious in casting terms, and I know that Bonnie [Langford] has the potential to make the part totally unirritating . . ." — JNT, 1986

Thursday, February 07 2008 @ 05:24 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  DarthSkeptical] In any case, I don't think we've seen in the Doctor Who universe a sense that the name "Torchwood" is known by the general public. Rather, it seems to have pervaded police and "conspiracy theorist" cultures.

Sorry? Not even bothering to read the rest of the post. Little old lady's (wheather they see the name on the side of the land rover or not) saying bloddy torchwood. KNOW EXACTLY what they are talking about. The Cardiff populace is WELL AWARE of Torchwood and judging from the reaction of the lady to the (To borrow a phrase from TD) "Exposition Fish" know what they do. And don't pertend that the BS in VotD that directly stated that the gen pop is aware that something is going on was just a nod to the fans.

Thursday, February 07 2008 @ 06:53 PM EST
    I have one question: What sort of serect organisation writes their name on the side of their highly expensive road vehicle?

Please check out my blog, as I attempt to watch and review EVERY Doctor Who episode! http://journeythroughtimeandspace.blogspot.com/

Thursday, February 07 2008 @ 07:35 PM EST
    Hmm, y'all may be right. I dunno. I know it's a poorly-held secret. I know they put their name on the side of the van. And certainly there have been hints that Jack's Torchwood is a good deal more of an inter-governmental team player than Torchwood has historically been. (Jack appears to be in more "regular" contact with the PM and UNIT than the old Torchwood 1, for instance.)

But I'm still not quite convinced that the general population puts the whole thing together. The question really is, could you go up to an average person in the street, say the name of the organization and get an accurate depiction of what the organization does? Do people know that Torchwood = alien catchers? Or is it just sorta "known" that Torchwood is a special kind of investigative unit? I just don't get the impression that most people know of the whole scope of Torchwood, the existence of the rift, and the regular incursions of other time lines — to the extent that they know what Torchwood does at all.

"I think of myself as ambitious in casting terms, and I know that Bonnie [Langford] has the potential to make the part totally unirritating . . ." — JNT, 1986

Thursday, February 07 2008 @ 11:23 PM EST

Haven't read the above comments yet, but just wanted to say: Best. Torchwood. Ever.

Really enjoyed it.

Did you say "74,384,338 to 1 against"? That's my lucky number!
      Profile    PM    Email   

Friday, February 08 2008 @ 12:16 PM EST

Since we still have a timelord meddling with Earth's affairs, the visibility of Torchwood may be one of those maleable things dependant upon (inadvertant) tweeks to the timeline. This could at once explain why everybody knows about Torchwood one day and it is a big secret the next.

How's that for retconn?

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!

Friday, February 08 2008 @ 10:00 PM EST
    Maybe Torchwood is something that everyone knows, but no one knows what is inside... like American hot dogs... maybe they'd rather not know. I also think Jack is the sort of character who likes deliberately making himself famous/mysterious at the same time. Suits his nature.

Did you say "74,384,338 to 1 against"? That's my lucky number!
      Profile    PM    Email   

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed
    Words are censored