The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 307 - 'Deep Breath' Reviewed
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Deep Breath? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Into the Dalek' Scheduled for Sunday, Aug 31st
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Deep Breath' Scheduled for Sunday, Aug 24th
  • BBC One 'Deep Breath' Promotional Advertisement Video [VIDEO]
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 306 - Interviews with Ian Marter and Sarah Sutton
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 305 - Interviews with Peter Howell and Ron Katz
  • Five Years of The Cultdom Collective Podcast!
  • The Official BBC Teaser Promo Video for the New 2014 Series [VIDEO]
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: The Claws of Axos? (5=Fantastic)

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Daleks Invade Manchester:- Dalek Picture 16
    Daleks Invade Manchester:- Dalek Picture 16
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  Torchwood - Series 2 »  SERIOUS SPOILERS * TW S2 Episode 6 * RESET
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    SERIOUS SPOILERS * TW S2 Episode 6 * RESET Views: 2835
     Wednesday, February 13 2008 @ 06:51 PM EST
    THIS THREAD CONTAINS MASSIVE SPOILERS

IF YOU DON’T WANT TO KNOW OF A BIG TORCHWOOD EVENT THEN DON’T READ THIS THREAD.

Now this I really did enjoy. And it had a big OMG moment at the end.

I’ve got to be honest, when episode 5 “Adam” finished, I wasn’t particularly into Torchwood at that moment in time. I thought it was a poor show and I wasn’t in the mood for another 40 minutes of it. If it wasn’t for the fact Martha was in episode 6, I wouldn’t have bothered…..

It turned out to be a great episode!

Martha is now UNIT and in many ways this was a real tip of the hat to the past. Subtle little references were dotted throughout. It was great fun as a trip down memory lane, yet at same time it was wrapped up in a modern 2008 environment.

The Martha entrance was a big deal and as she entered the building, you got a feeling it was going to be a good episode.

As a character (and a Doctor) Martha is clearly a lot further up the medical tree these days – and although it took a bit of getting used to, I liked that aspect to her and her new found maturity. I liked the way she made Owen look like a berk within about 2 minutes of meeting him – and I liked the way the subsequent relationship between those 2 developed.

I liked the chat between Jack and Martha about The Doctor, and Jack's argument to Owen that if it was the end of the world he'd rely on Martha! That made me to want to reach for the series 3 boxset as soon as this episode was over.

I also really liked Professor Copley. I thought he had the perfect sinister edge for the role and (although I didn’t realise it was him til the credits came up), I thought Alan Dale did him very well. The whole posh country hospital thing was very reminiscent of Spearhead From Space and it often generally reminded you of a 3rd Doctor story. Don’t know if that was an accident or design (probably design). The security guards in their grey v-neck Action Man jumpers were a nice touch too.

I think we probably already knew that Jack’s sexuality was avant-garde, but in case you missed it, Ianto confirmed. Along with fact that they do like a dabble every now and again! It’s only a matter of time before that boy’s heart is broken for a second time (& all the time I’ve been watching Torchwood, it’s not occurred to me personally that red is Ianto’s colour).

I really liked Martha vision thing – that was very cutting edge. Good little gadget they had there.

Wasn't too sure about Owen's alien vaporizer that cured Martha of Reset though!

Now the killer – literally;

For all his faults, this show will be poorer without Owen. I’d started to really like the guy. I didn’t remotely expect his death and I’m glad I was spoiler free. That was a big deal. I’m not totally convinced it’s a done deal – but given that it’s happened I hope they keep it that way. RTD said about Kylie in the Christmas Confidential that bringing her back would’ve just been too much (even for the Doctor) – I wonder if that holds true and over into Torchwood……………………

5/5.

Nothing dies of old age on Skaro!
      Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, February 13 2008 @ 07:02 PM EST

I'm lost here?

Adam was in 'Reset' and 'Reset' was Episode 5.

Or am I wrong?

Cheers, daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Wednesday, February 13 2008 @ 07:08 PM EST
    No;

Adam was in Adam - episode 5, which was immediately followed by episode 6 (Reset) on BBC3.

Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, February 13 2008 @ 07:23 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  Tardis-Knight] No;

Adam was in Adam - episode 5, which was immediately followed by episode 6 (Reset) on BBC3.

My mistake - I'm thinking he 'reset' their memories!

Didn't notice the title of the second one - I thought it was named after 'the guest star' ;-)

Cheers, daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali

Wednesday, February 13 2008 @ 07:28 PM EST
    Don't read the thread til you've seen the episode Dave, but it's an episode you gotta see.

Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, February 13 2008 @ 07:48 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  Tardis-Knight] Don't read the thread til you've seen the episode Dave, but it's an episode you gotta see.

I watched it - on BBC HD.

I thought it was the better of the two - but I thought 'Adam was OK - except maybe the last part.

It was nice to see Martha and Jack together onscreen - and that was a big shock at the end.

Cheers, daveac

Thursday, February 14 2008 @ 02:28 AM EST

I feel that with this episode we are seeing the ramifications of the Master's meddling on Earth. The Pharm's logo was very reminiscent of LazLabs. One thing that is obvious from this episode is that the writer(s) have only a cursory grasp of medical procedures/research, but that did not detract much from the story, as I doubt most of the viewers have a clue either. Martha's character is much stronger than it was on [i]Doctor Who[/i], sort of the opposite of Jack.

They've killed Owen—you bastards! Well, they also killed Susan. And how many times have they killed Jack? I doubt we've seen the last of him.

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!

Thursday, February 14 2008 @ 08:00 AM EST
    oh my. Eek!

I loved this episode. There were so many great things but the best part was Martha and her interaction with the team.
    Fangirl romana especially loved the scene with Ianto and Martha.

Also loved the line about Jack not trusting politicians anymore. Big Grin Fabulous. As well as all of Jack and Martha's bits, they were all lovely.

I wasn't expecting Owen to die at the end, and I'm still not 100% convinced about it. Maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part, because even through I didn't love Owen, I didn't hate him either, and I throught him and Tosh would be lovely together.
    Plus, the last thing this show needs is something else for everyone in Team Torchwood to angst about... but then again, it could do wonders for the show.

Who knows, bring on next week.

Oh and again, Martha was FANTASTIC Exclaimation

bye bye david :(

Thursday, February 14 2008 @ 09:42 AM EST
    Also, at one point you see the newspaper about Cardiff's new mayor from Boomtown. (or was that Adam? My memory sucks!)

Anyway, as others have said, this episode was great. Martha's character finally gets the treatment it deserves. She has always seemed a capable person and Torchwood is really showing that.

All the references to series 3 were pretty good as well. I'd love to see her family pop-up again as well.

As for the ending, not sure what next week will bring, but I didn't like it. I think Owen is a critical character and getting rid of him would be a bad move.

But I do like the way they are using Yanto a lot more this season.

Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, February 14 2008 @ 11:22 AM EST

For me "Adam" was stronger. We know that Owen won't be gone long and like him or hate him he does add to the defining dynamic. It was good to see Martha in a stronger role. The forshodowing of "The Death of Owen" was broadcasted when he accepted a "Date" from Tosh. So that was not a supprise to me.

Cheers,
    Mike

I'm a Time Traveler, I point and laugh at archaeologist.

Thursday, February 14 2008 @ 12:28 PM EST

So, MIke, are you saying a kiss from Tosh seals your doom?

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!

Thursday, February 14 2008 @ 07:52 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  Sabalon] Also, at one point you see the newspaper about Cardiff's new mayor from Boomtown. (or was that Adam? My memory sucks!)

You were right, I completly forgot to mention that in my post.

It was this epiosde... it's seen stuck on the reception door right at the beginning as Ianto sees Martha to the first time.

I like to also give my myself a little pat on the back for guessing correct with my post on another thread here that these episodes of Torchwood would go into how Martha joined Unit.
    I like how it was hinted that the Doctor got her a job there. At least that's how I read it. I hope that's explored a little in series 4.

Oh, I was thrilled at the choice of fake name for Martha: Samantha, must admit that I had a little giggle since that's my name too. Smile

And lastly, I do think Ianto would look adoreable in a Unit cap Big Grin

bye bye david :(

Friday, February 15 2008 @ 09:00 AM EST
    Did anyone do the same as me and scream "UNIT DON'T WEAR RED CAPS (berets)" at the televison, everytime it was mentioned? The last time I looked they where green!

Why oh why does RTD have to mess around with continuity?

Please check out my blog, as I attempt to watch and review EVERY Doctor Who episode! http://journeythroughtimeandspace.blogspot.com/

Friday, February 15 2008 @ 01:00 PM EST
    This is a quote from a post in the Episode 5 thread - but I didn't want to answer fully there as it would be a spoiler (for an episode a reader wasn't expecting ie. Epi. 6)

Below QUOTE - When my first reply:-

[Quote  by:  Dalzo] Just thought I would let you guys know that the main concept of this episode (an alien infiltrates the team by implanting false memories and making them think they have been working with them for years) has been directly lifted from one of the Torchwood books called "Border Princes" by Dan Abnett. What made the book work a little better than the episode is that it is written in such a manner that if you knew nothing about the series and read the book you would take it for granted that James (as opposed to "Adam") was a main character instead of an imposter. Having said that, I enjoyed the episode but felt that (like a few episodes this series) it was trying too hard to evoke emotions out of the viewer (Jack dishing out the retcon drug, having his memories of his father taken away, Tosh losing Adam etc) and just over cooking it.

Looking forward to "Reset" though, as I was unable to watch it due to work!

Well that's strange as I thought - and you might agree later - that 'Reset' is very much like the plot of one of the books.

I'll not say more here but might quote this in that thread - which you may read after watching the episode,

END QUOTE

I can't remember the title - and I can't find my copy at the moment but this story seems to be 'based' on one of the Torchwood books - one of the first 3 that came out - where Rhys want's to lose weight and he goes to a clinic that gives him two pills - the first to start the slimming and a second to stop it.

I won't say more as it will spoil the book - but in effect it mirrors this story quite a bit.

Cheers, daveac

Saturday, February 16 2008 @ 01:01 AM EST
    Ok, watched Reset, too, and I liked it for the most part. It was great seeing Martha again. Although, I'm a little shaky on the timeline. How much time is supposed to have passed between the end of Last of the Time Lords and this? I did like the references to classic Who and series 3 Who. I wonder if Martha's boyfriend is the doctor she met in series 3. And I really liked seeing "with Freema Ag." in the opening credits.

[Quote  by:  Tardis-Knight] I really liked Martha vision thing – that was very cutting edge. Good little gadget they had there.

I thought it was pretty cool, but I suspect it will be one of those things I think about when watching past episodes (and possibly future episodes) and say, "why aren't they just using the contact lens cameras?" And why type all that stuff to display in Martha's vision if you can just pick up a microphone and tell her?

[Quote  by:  Tardis-Knight] For all his faults, this show will be poorer without Owen. I'd started to really like the guy. I didn’t remotely expect his death and I’m glad I was spoiler free. That was a big deal. I'm not totally convinced it's a done deal – but given that it's happened I hope they keep it that way.

In reaction to the death of Owen, my wife had the best response of the night..."It's sad that I'm not sad." I mentioned in my posting for Meat that she's a big animal lover. She felt more sympathy for the aliens locked in the lab then for Owen when he was shot. Can I just ask one thing? Whenever someone pulls a gun, why isn't it the immortal guy that dashes forward to stand in front? Any time there is some threatening situation my first thought is always, "Jack can't die!!! Let him handle it!" I probably would have felt a little sympathy for Owen if I hadn't just watched him go from being geeky awkward Owen back to arrogant prick Owen.

[Quote  by:  cybercolin] Did anyone do the same as me and scream "UNIT DON'T WEAR RED CAPS (berets)" at the televison, everytime it was mentioned? The last time I looked they where green!

Why oh why does RTD have to mess around with continuity?

Maybe Jack was thinking of one of these with the red band...

Although, I guess they did have red berets in the Christmas Invasion...

Maybe they had to change them, like when the US army decided to make the black beret standard for all soldiers, the Rangers had to find a new color (tan) since the black beret used to be theirs.

----
    side question: why does my third quote always flake out and display all in bold instead of just the quoted name?

I'm going "Full Circle" and putting my avatar back to what it was when I first joined. :)
      Profile    PM    Email   

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed
    Words are censored