The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • Yet Another Promo for the 2014 Doctor Who Christmas Special - Last Christmas
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 319 - The 2014 Series of Doctor Who Reviewed
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing the 2014 Series Scheduled for Sunday, Nov 30
  • Peter Capaldi Being Interviewed by Craig Ferguson in 2009 [VIDEO]
  • Doctor Who Christmas Special 2014 Preview from BBC Children in Need
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 318 - 'Death in Heaven' Reviewed
  • Doctor Who Christmas Special 2014 Promo "Trailer" Video
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Death in Heaven? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Death in Heaven' Scheduled for Sunday, Nov 09
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 317 - 'Dark Water' Reviewed

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    James and Anka
    James and Anka
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  Torchwood - Series 2 »  SERIOUS SPOILERS * TW S2 Episode 6 * RESET
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    SERIOUS SPOILERS * TW S2 Episode 6 * RESET Views: 2936
     Saturday, February 16 2008 @ 11:09 PM EST
    I loved seeing Martha back. Loved, loved, loved it. In fact, I think I wouldn't have liked this episode much at all if it had been, say, Gwen infiltrating the facility. Martha always had the ability to be a far more independent, capable, professional woman than Rose, but her love for the Doctor essentially hobbled that. Now she's finally come into her own, and I hope to Gallifrey she stays that way in series 4.

I adored the interplay between Jack and Martha. I have always maintained that Jack on Torchwood and Jack on Who are two completely different characters. They're fixing that a bit this series, but it's still largely that Who Jack is the funny, flirty one, whereas Torchwood Jack is the "I can't die I have cosmic angst and woe" one. When he's with Martha we get to see Who Jack in the Torchwood setting, which is fun.

I don't believe Owen is actually dead, which is kind of disappointing in that I am unable to suspend my disbelief. I guess I've watched too much TV? Remember the Risen Mitten, folks; I was halfway expecting it to appear in the trailer for next week.

Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, February 17 2008 @ 01:22 AM EST
    [Quote  by:  sarahbot] Remember the Risen Mitten, folks; I was halfway expecting it to appear in the trailer for next week.

The Risen Mitten, or as I like to call it...the spare glove from the suit of armor in the BBC prop closet. Wink

I'm going "Full Circle" and putting my avatar back to what it was when I first joined. :)
      Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, February 17 2008 @ 10:12 AM EST
    [Quote  by:  cybercolin] Did anyone do the same as me and scream "UNIT DON'T WEAR RED CAPS (berets)" at the televison, everytime it was mentioned? The last time I looked they where green!

Why oh why does RTD have to mess around with continuity?
    Thing is, though, there has never been too much continuity with respect to UNIT uniforms. Insofar as the color era of the "classic" series has been concerned, they've been tan (Series 7), green (predominant from series 8 to 13), and UN blue ("Battlefield"). Thereafter, they've been consistently red in the new series.

To me, "UN blue" makes the most sense, really, but as the UN specifically barred a direct association between UNIT and the UN starting in 2005, Davies' team can't be blamed for switching away from the last-established color. Red makes some sense as it visually distinguishes UNIT from other of HM forces. The fact is, the whole "green" phase was a bit of a mistake, I feel, in that UNIT looked like regular Army. I for one am glad of a way to know I'm looking at a UNIT soldier without having to pay too much attention to his or her insignia.

"I think of myself as ambitious in casting terms, and I know that Bonnie [Langford] has the potential to make the part totally unirritating . . ." JNT, 1986
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Sunday, February 17 2008 @ 01:36 PM EST
    I enjoyed all the references to the Doctor*, though I've been watching so much Ninth Doctor recently that when Jack said he'd had a bad time with a politician I was wondering if he meant the Slitheen mayor. The episode was almost over before I remembered Saxon. Bad fan, bad!

But what did Martha mean when she told Owen she had a boyfriend? I really, really hope she wasn't referring to the Doctor. Really hope.

*Especially the one where Martha says she'd been recruited by UNIT, and Jack asks if the Doctor gave her a recommendation by pointing upwards, given the messianic imagery of last season.

Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, February 17 2008 @ 03:19 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  sarahbot]
    But what did Martha mean when she told Owen she had a boyfriend? I really, really hope she wasn't referring to the Doctor. Really hope.

Well I think it is 'a doctor' but not the Doctor.

Martha rings the hospial after leaving the Doctor and speaks to the guy who helped her in the 'Last of the Timelords' (the guy on the beach) - before we had the year re-wind.

It's not been said but many of us think that's her new boyfriend.

Cheers, daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali

Sunday, February 17 2008 @ 04:28 PM EST
    I can accept a giant monster whose shadow kills everything it touches and a pterodactyl fighting a cyberlady - but Burn Goreman is 34 and doesn't look a day younger than that. I forgive a lot of silliness on the part of torchwood, but come ON. 27???? Even that girl victim (her age mentioned as 27) had a face like an old leather boot.

You'd think a series as "edgy" as Torchwood wouldn't be afraid of having characters actually in their 30's - shock horror. That's right folks, if you aren't a doctor in a secret government agency by age 27 you're all washed up!

(... ok I admit it. I just turned 29.... feeling a bit age sensitive.... oh yeah and there's my whole unemployment thing... uhmm take this post with a grain of salt, people, I have "issues"... Wink )

If Worzel Gummidge and the Third Doctor had a fist fight - who would win?

Sunday, February 17 2008 @ 06:08 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  Magpie]
    (... ok I admit it. I just turned 29.... feeling a bit age sensitive.... oh yeah and there's my whole unemployment thing... uhmm take this post with a grain of salt, people, I have "issues"... Wink )

Gosh 29 - I'm chating to young chick!

With 60 being the new 40 - at 29 you are just coming into your prime.

I was at least 36 before I knew which way was up!.

Cheers, - now where's that spare valentine card Wink

Cheers, daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali

Sunday, February 17 2008 @ 07:33 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  daveac]
    With 60 being the new 40 - at 29 you are just coming into your prime.

I was at least 36 before I knew which way was up!.

Cheers, - now where's that spare valentine card Wink

Cheers, daveac

Thanks Wink

If Worzel Gummidge and the Third Doctor had a fist fight - who would win?

Sunday, February 17 2008 @ 10:26 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  Magpie] I can accept a giant monster whose shadow kills everything it touches and a pterodactyl fighting a cyberlady - but Burn Goreman is 34 and doesn't look a day younger than that. I forgive a lot of silliness on the part of torchwood, but come ON. 27???? Even that girl victim (her age mentioned as 27) had a face like an old leather boot.

You'd think a series as "edgy" as Torchwood wouldn't be afraid of having characters actually in their 30's - shock horror. That's right folks, if you aren't a doctor in a secret government agency by age 27 you're all washed up!

A happy birthday, darlin'! Trust me, 29 is the best age (from what I remember!).

I'm glad you brought this up. I have to admit I was a bit taken aback when they said Owen was 27... 'scuze me? He looks more of 37 than 27. Oh well. I guess as an American I should be used to 20-somethings being played by 30-somethings and 40-somethings also played by 30-somethings (and people in their teens being played by 20-somethings).

I really did enjoy this episode. I have to admit I read into it a bit more of a conspiracy theory thing than has been brought up so far. So Dr Copley (is that the right name?) has familiarity with Harvard, the CIA and the UK government: you cannot tell me this isn't some global (or at least Anglo/WASP) corporate conspiracy that was occurring with the approval of both the UK and US government.

Yeah, I know, I'm probably reading too much into it. I think perhaps I'm just being nostalgic for X-Files. But I do hope that I'm reading TOO much into this and we'll get to see more this season of the government (or some aspect thereof) working contrary to Torchwood Cardiff's mission. It could be fun!

supremacy is relative
      Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, February 18 2008 @ 03:52 AM EST
    I am 36 in 2 weeks...

and feel older than RTD!

But back to the episode?

I finally cough up with it and thought it was nice. UNIT is back and it sounded like they can use it as long asn no mentions the United Nations... bless em.

It was the EDITING that messed with my head more than Monkey Boys spoiler activity...

What did they have arrows left over from robbing hood? and thats almost as annoying as the pointless crash zooms that seem to be flavorful of the month and will age this show faster than JNTs shirts.

I had avoided spoilers but kind of knew something would be up when Tosh and Monkey Boy arranged for a date.

CLASSIC horror movie set up... and there was me thinking.. cant be that Obvious...

and it was.

Jim from Neighbors was good once he worked ut what voice he was using.

Guest Host on the WHOCAST

Monday, February 18 2008 @ 12:05 PM EST
    I'll have to say it was great to see Martha in this episode. It was unique to see how her character has changed from Series 3. There is some type of maturity to her character. Also, like everyone else, it was a shock to see Owen get shot and supposedly is dead. Is he really dead? I guess we'll have to wait until Wednesday.

Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, February 18 2008 @ 04:46 PM EST
    So, really, we don't know if Owen is gone for good or not? no spoilers coming from the UK yet?

I want to know, and at the same time I don't.

supremacy is relative
      Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, February 18 2008 @ 06:29 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  mad4plaid] So, really, we don't know if Owen is gone for good or not? no spoilers coming from the UK yet?

There are spoilers on Freema's site if you look for them.

Cheers, daveac

Monday, February 18 2008 @ 06:42 PM EST
    Dave,

Can you send us the link to Freema's site? Thanks!

Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, February 18 2008 @ 06:45 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  mad4plaid] So, really, we don't know if Owen is gone for good or not? no spoilers coming from the UK yet?

Well, the official BBC press release for episode 8 clearly makes reference to Owen being at the center of the story. Since it's an official press release from the network of origin, it can't exactly be said to be a spoiler. But I suppose it does leave enough wiggle room to make one believe he might still be dead. Confused? Read this from the BBC2 site.

"I think of myself as ambitious in casting terms, and I know that Bonnie [Langford] has the potential to make the part totally unirritating . . ." JNT, 1986

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed
    Words are censored