The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: The Mark of the Rani? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 301 - 'The Mark of the Rani' is Reviewed
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Featured in Podcastrovalva
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 300 - The Passing of Kate O'Mara, Interviews with Mary Tamm and Janet Fielding
  • NASA New Spacesuit Z-2 Dominates
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 299 - 'The Web of Fear' Reviewed, News, and More
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 298 - 'The Enemy of the World' Reviewed, News, and More
  • Emma Campbell-Jones joins the L.I. Who 2 line up "Best news all day"
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 297 - Classic Interview with Colin Baker, News, Feedback, and More
  • How do you rate the Matt Smith era of Doctor Who? (5=Fantastic)

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Corgi Collector's Box
    Corgi Collector's Box
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  Torchwood - Series 2 »  SPOILERS * TW S2 Episode 7 * Dead Man
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    SPOILERS * TW S2 Episode 7 * Dead Man Views: 1942
     Wednesday, February 20 2008 @ 08:24 PM EST
    THIS THREAD CONTAINS SPOILERS

DON'T READ IT IF YOU DON'T WISH TO KNOW WHAT'S UP IN CARDIFF....

Dead Man Walking. That's the title and (for those who have seen Reset) it kinda gives the game away from the outset.

Jack uses the other alien glove to give Owen his final 2 mins. But then he wakes up again!

For me, this episode is in keeping with how I generally felt about series 1. It's watchable enough and at times it's actually really entertaining, but other times it leaves you wondering what's going on.

In praising Reset to the heavens, I said I hoped Owen would stay dead - not because I wanted him out (I didnt'), but because it had happened, and it would be a big dramatic deal to leave it that way. Oh no it wouldn't.....

The Glove is creepy, it's a nasty little thing that makes you a uncomfortable (especially when it's little fingers are walking across the floor, Cybermat style)

Aged Martha seemed a bit naff, as did the basic plot of 13 (which was based on a combination of myth, folklore and the information from Ianto's weight-watchers website). The other thing that struck me as ridiculous is an NHS hospital, with a central floor that seems to be able to go into same state of lockdown as the Hub..... Hmmmmh.

& Owen is now King of the Weevils. In many people's eyes (notably Linquel's wife) that's probably about right. I suspect that by the end of episode 8, Owen could really be gone for good. As Ianto said, the gloves come in a pair.

I liked it, but I doubt I'll be watching again in the week that it'll be availble on demand...

Nothing dies of old age on Skaro!
      Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, February 20 2008 @ 10:22 PM EST

They made such a big deal about gloves coming in pairs that it was obvious to anyone even remotely paying attention that Owen was coming back.

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Thursday, February 21 2008 @ 12:16 AM EST
    Does anyone know where I can download episode 7? What site do you all use? I can't find in my normal place called isoHunt.

Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, February 21 2008 @ 12:31 AM EST

Indeed, told ye. It was even more amusing watching the Declasified from ep6 knowing that all of them were taking the mick. But, why send the whole team chasing after death when you could just send the dead guy and the imortal? I can't help but think that RTD and staff are thumbing their noses at the fans. Many have stated that they want Owen gone, well he is but he isn't. Still, it's better than reality TV.

I'm a Time Traveler, I point and laugh at archaeologist.

Thursday, February 21 2008 @ 05:42 AM EST
    I must say that i LOVED the last two episode's of Torchwood!
    They, for me, are like stand alone episodes, and the previous 18 episodes can just be deleted from history, and they can start here!
    It was beyond a doubt that Jack was looking for the other glove, although i was a bit lost by the fact that they're clearly IGNORING the fact that there's a nest of Weevils in an abandoned church. Don't these things eat people? And the whole 'scary psychic little girl' was a bit too Constantine for my liking, but i suppose you needed some plot device!

Martha has been like a breath of fresh air in the Hub. She gets along with all the crew straight away and brings an air of UNIT 'professionalism' into the sidetracked ways of Torchwood.

Other things i loved were:
    -Owen's reaction to his Gun shot wound
    -Jack's reaction to Ianto's hockey stick (unless it's been somewhere we don't need to know, if you know what i mean!)
    -Leading up to the Nightclub scene (i'm not sure what Owen's 'meandering' pays homage to, isn't it some kind of drugs movie?)
    -The Bachelorette
    -Product placement for Guiness (yay for Guiness)
    -Jack speaking with a London accent, (E's off is ed innie?)
    -The 'regurgitation'
    -Wondering how, after Owen starts embalming himself, they were going to fill in another 30 mins, and then not worrying about it after:
    -The 'Evil Dead' glove, I half expected it to start making noises!
    -Owen not fearing the Reaper!
    -Owen being the good guy!

This episode just had a good, fast-paced positive vibe to it, which is what i believe the show is all about!

Stuff i didn't quite like were:

-The girl's, Tosh, Gewn and even Martha, didnt have much to do in this episode, kind of wasted!
    -The Reaper's walk! Looks like he needed the toilet
    -The Reaper's general design, I didn't much liek the smoke, but i'm much more used to the cloak (see below)
    -NO SCYTHE?!
    -Next week's trailer, are we to honestly believe that Owen's body is not giving off ANY heat?! Even brain activity or motor functions should?!

Phew, that's probably one of my longest posts! Thanks for staying with me!

Photobucket

Drink
      Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, February 21 2008 @ 08:11 AM EST
    I enjoyed it quite alot, I had a feeling that they would bring back Owen somehow. I liked the interactions between Jack and Owen in this one, but I was a bit sad at how under used Martha was, considering she's only in it for 3 episodes.

The whole scene with the glove made me think of when I find cockroachs in my room, right down to the noise and to the graping of the nearest weapon (hockey stick/shoe) to kill the coakroach/glove.
    Did anyone else make that connection. Confused

The glove itself reminded me of a combo of the Hand of Fear, Thing and a Cybermatt.

I have a feeling that Owen going to be finished off next week, I just don't see a way for him to stay. Whatever they do with him, I just hope they pull it off well.

bye bye david :(

Thursday, February 21 2008 @ 09:50 AM EST
    Owen having fisticuffs with the grim reaper and beating him was soooooooo poor.

Also, what happened in between Death rising up in the autopsy room, everything going black, and Jack waking up in the car? What was all that about? What happened? How'd they get to the hospital and why'd Jack pass out?

And speaking of the autopsy room, the glove scuttling about was ripped straight off of that bit in Aliens in the medi-bay with the Face Hugger scrabbling about on the floor trying to jump on peoples faces - like the glove did to Martha. I know we've all seen derivative stuff in the new Who, but since Torchwood is aimed squarely at adults who would have seen a fair amount of Sci-Fi, it's a bit annoying when they blatantly lift entire scenes straight from the classics.

Yes, Martha was definitely under-used. She was cool in Reset last week.

Why did the people of Cardiff not notice the Weavils running around the streets at night? And what effect are they having on the property prices in the area?

If half the art of survival is running away, the other half is knowing when to keep a straight face.
      Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, February 21 2008 @ 11:47 AM EST
    I'll be posting my review next week, but what can I say?

They had the right idea but they should have just left it. It would have been a whole lot better if they just let Owen die. Who's got the feeling that he will 'somehow' become human again, very soon!

Rolling Eyes

Please check out my blog, as I attempt to watch and review EVERY Doctor Who episode! http://journeythroughtimeandspace.blogspot.com/

Thursday, February 21 2008 @ 08:36 PM EST
    cross posted over at dwny

Torchwood Awards

After watching the latest episode of Torchwood entitled Dead Man Walking and in honor of the upcoming Oscar season, I had to hand out these awards after the sheer disbelief I experienced watching the latest episode…. If you have an award you’d like to give out please add on…

(Of course this is just my opinion and I’m feeling a bit sarky today after this episode so understand it’s all with a grain of salt isn’t it….) I actually like this program and this season I’d even say love it. I think this is where the disbelief comes from. Fantastic surprise ending last episode and then this. Anyway, onto the awards.

The WTF Award: Well it goes to Dead Man Walking of course…While Torchwood has won this in the past, especially in its first season, this current season saw fewer nominations for this stellar award from the Torchwood team for this voter until now….

Award for Best Recycled Plot: A tie between what could have been titled They Keep Killing Owen, We Fight Shadowy/Smoky Monsters made by the Mill, Let’s Make Hot People Old and Basically Render them Useless (previously won by David Tennant in SoD and LoTTL in Doctor Who). A near miss nomination goes to the direction I thought this plot was going towards (Faith and Prayer solve everything put wrong and makes old people young and hot again). Thankfully they didn’t go in this direction.

Award for Really Yes We Are a Secret Organization: Uh we’re from Torchwood so can you clear out this hospital? If you’re so secret how would I know who you are and why would I care to follow your orders?

The He’s Just Not That into You Award: Oh Tosh, we’ve been a fan even when you were shagging aliens and frozen World War I soldiers. We cheered when you flirted with Captain Jon and looked the other way when you offered cheese and pickle sandwiches as a pick up line. But come on, nothing is more pitiful than watching a intelligent, beautiful woman pine for a guy who is not worthy of her. I was hoping that Owen would die, just so she could grieve and move on to someone who might appreciate and value and love her as she deserves.

The Didn’t you Shag Him in the Past Award: Not that we want to remind engaged Gwen of her past dalliances but wouldn’t you be a bit more torn up at the guy dying who you once wanted to shag in front of a Weevil.

The Best Imitation of the Opening of Life on Mars: My name is Owen Harper and I died. If I can figure out what is keeping me alive in death, maybe I can go back home… Okay not quite but I had a flashback to the good of days of watching Life on Mars with the coming attractions and voice over by Owen at the end of this episode. Note to Torchwood writing staff: Owen Harper is no Sam Tyler!

Best no Worst Fighting of a CGI monster... Jury is out on this one. I think Owen fighting the Meat thingy might be worst and less believeable then swinging around a smoky "death" in this episode.

http://themedusacascadegazette.blogspot.com/
      Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, February 21 2008 @ 08:43 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  old china]

Why did the people of Cardiff not notice the Weavils running around the streets at night? And what effect are they having on the property prices in the area?

This made me laugh so hard!!! Its like that bit in Family Guy where they go to talk about buying a time share and the slides clearly show a flesh eating ogre on a tropical beah eating people right as the salesman says "and no flesh eating ogres"...

Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, February 21 2008 @ 09:14 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  old china] Also, what happened in between Death rising up in the autopsy room, everything going black, and Jack waking up in the car? What was all that about? What happened? How'd they get to the hospital and why'd Jack pass out?

I guess they cut the scene where **** happens...

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!

Friday, February 22 2008 @ 04:16 AM EST
    [Quote  by:  LanaiaD] cross posted over at dwny

Torchwood Awards

After watching the latest episode of Torchwood entitled Dead Man Walking and in honor of the upcoming Oscar season, I had to hand out these awards after the sheer disbelief I experienced watching the latest episode…. If you have an award you’d like to give out please add on…

(Of course this is just my opinion and I’m feeling a bit sarky today after this episode so understand it’s all with a grain of salt isn’t it….) I actually like this program and this season I’d even say love it. I think this is where the disbelief comes from. Fantastic surprise ending last episode and then this. Anyway, onto the awards.

The WTF Award: Well it goes to Dead Man Walking of course…While Torchwood has won this in the past, especially in its first season, this current season saw fewer nominations for this stellar award from the Torchwood team for this voter until now….

Award for Best Recycled Plot: A tie between what could have been titled They Keep Killing Owen, We Fight Shadowy/Smoky Monsters made by the Mill, Let’s Make Hot People Old and Basically Render them Useless (previously won by David Tennant in SoD and LoTTL in Doctor Who). A near miss nomination goes to the direction I thought this plot was going towards (Faith and Prayer solve everything put wrong and makes old people young and hot again). Thankfully they didn’t go in this direction.

Award for Really Yes We Are a Secret Organization: Uh we’re from Torchwood so can you clear out this hospital? If you’re so secret how would I know who you are and why would I care to follow your orders?

The He’s Just Not That into You Award: Oh Tosh, we’ve been a fan even when you were shagging aliens and frozen World War I soldiers. We cheered when you flirted with Captain Jon and looked the other way when you offered cheese and pickle sandwiches as a pick up line. But come on, nothing is more pitiful than watching a intelligent, beautiful woman pine for a guy who is not worthy of her. I was hoping that Owen would die, just so she could grieve and move on to someone who might appreciate and value and love her as she deserves.

The Didn’t you Shag Him in the Past Award: Not that we want to remind engaged Gwen of her past dalliances but wouldn’t you be a bit more torn up at the guy dying who you once wanted to shag in front of a Weevil.

The Best Imitation of the Opening of Life on Mars: My name is Owen Harper and I died. If I can figure out what is keeping me alive in death, maybe I can go back home… Okay not quite but I had a flashback to the good of days of watching Life on Mars with the coming attractions and voice over by Owen at the end of this episode. Note to Torchwood writing staff: Owen Harper is no Sam Tyler!

Best no Worst Fighting of a CGI monster... Jury is out on this one. I think Owen fighting the Meat thingy might be worst and less believeable then swinging around a smoky "death" in this episode.

Can I just be clear on this - you didnt like?

Confused Smile

Nothing dies of old age on Skaro!
      Profile    PM    Email   

Friday, February 22 2008 @ 08:40 AM EST
    No I loved it!!! Twisted Evil

Profile    PM    Email   

Friday, February 22 2008 @ 09:20 AM EST
    I just don't know what to say. Why couldn't he have just stayed dead? We don't need two immortal/undead people on one show (it's not Highlander, afterall, or Angel for that matter). It would have been so much better if he'd just stayed dead! And why did we bring him back? Oh, yes. Because he was the only one with the combination to the alien morgue. Torchwood doesn't have a very good business continuity plan, do they? Haven't they heard of cross-training? polices & procedures?

I think the thing that I liked the most was that It Took Faith to kill death. And it wasn't religious; the girl's name was "Faith." That really was the best part for me.

Does anyone think that perhaps the creepy girl that Jack visited in the beginning is actually Faith? Still unable to die?

supremacy is relative
      Profile    PM    Email   

Friday, February 22 2008 @ 12:40 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  LanaiaD]

The Best Imitation of the Opening of Life on Mars: My name is Owen Harper and I died.
    Note to Torchwood writing staff: Owen Harper is no Sam Tyler!

Don't you mean Rose Tyler? lol

Drink
      Profile    PM    Email   

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages