The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Deep Breath' Scheduled for Sunday, Aug 24th
  • BBC One 'Deep Breath' Promotional Advertisement Video [VIDEO]
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 306 - Interviews with Ian Marter and Sarah Sutton
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 305 - Interviews with Peter Howell and Ron Katz
  • Five Years of The Cultdom Collective Podcast!
  • The Official BBC Teaser Promo Video for the New 2014 Series [VIDEO]
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: The Claws of Axos? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 304 - 'The Claws of Axos' is Reviewed
  • New Doctor Who Series Launch Confirmed for August and Teaser Promo Video
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: The Invasion of Time? (5=Fantastic)

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Pamela Salem
    Pamela Salem
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  Torchwood - Series 2 »  [Spoilers] TW s2e8 A Day in the Death of
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    [Spoilers] TW s2e8 A Day in the Death of Views: 2238
     Thursday, February 28 2008 @ 03:34 PM EST

This has got to be the strangest episode of TW to date. Owen is dead, but not dead and he spends some time saving a young lady from killing herself with flashbacks to his day. It'll be interesting to see where they go with Owen's character from here.

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Thursday, February 28 2008 @ 03:58 PM EST
    Agreed on the strangness!
    So they get rid of Martha, who is obviously over qualified, and keep their dead CMO. Also, because he is DEAD, he cant breathe, so, as they showed with Tom Good, he cant resuscitate people.
    And, as they showed with the scalpel, he cant feel.
    So how's he supposed to feel for a pulse, or a bump, bruise, contusion, foreign body, temperature, fever...of a fallen teammate? HOW DOES HE QUALIFY AS A DOCTOR WHEN HE CANT HELP PEOPLE?!
    Are we, the stupid viewer not supposed to be aware of this?

Another gripe is that when an electric current of that size goes through a (human) body, it finds the nearest and quickest exit to an Earth point. On it's way there, it burns/destroys any tissue in it's path. So, for someone who cannot even get hit for the fear that bruises don't heal (and he hits those guards pretty hard!) Owen's body seems to not be affected at ALL by the huge electric current running through it. Unless that Tin-Tin shirt was made of some electrical absorbing alien material!
    My point being that he was merely DEAD not super! And dont get me started on human biology, and explaining away atrophy how the only reason he's doing what he's doing is by 'unknown' energy, it just doesn't cut the mustard.

1/5 Weevil turds for this episode

Drink
      Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, February 28 2008 @ 11:04 PM EST
    I figured this would be the episode that would finally fall completely flat for me.

And yet, as a character study, I think this one succeeded admirably.

As for the valid points stjohnny brings up, I can only say that Owen is a walking, talking zombie. So, I'm not even going to bother worrying about the science behind it. Mr. Green

Profile    PM    Email   

Friday, February 29 2008 @ 08:24 AM EST
    It was nice to see Richard Briers again. But apart from that this one didn't do alot for me. So many holes in the logic here. Owen can't work as a Doctor for Torchwood, as according to Jack, they have to study him, to find out what he is. But until then it'll be okay for him to make their f***ing coffee???

The best bit was at the very end when the Pulses magical light slowly streamed majestically out into the Cardiff night sky and spelled sale

If half the art of survival is running away, the other half is knowing when to keep a straight face.
      Profile    PM    Email   

Saturday, March 01 2008 @ 09:39 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  old china] The best bit was at the very end when the Pulses magical light slowly streamed majestically out into the Cardiff night sky and spelled sale

I'd not noticed that. Laughing Out Loud

In general, I think the weakest part of this episode was the Richard Briers storyline. I normally watch my new Torchwood ep in bed before I fall asleep, and I've never had to stop the episode because I was falling asleep. I thought it was great that we were only seeing glimpses of what the rest of the team was doing and being shut out like Owen, but nope, we had to have the episode come to a standstill while he solved the mystery of the week. The shame of it is it had so much potential - a great actor and a beautiful idea of the alien message.

The scene of the bride staggering out of the wreckage were surprisingly upsetting in a good way. I was surprised that they moved me so much.

Why on earth did they get rid of Martha? Owen essentially demonstrated that he was just as disturbed as everyone suspected, and it got him his job back? Plus, I'm a little disappointed that Freema didn't have as much to do. It sucks that they stuck her in a storyline that meant Martha had to take a backburner to Owen, because I enjoyed her so much in "Reset" and was disappointed that she had a limited role in the next two episodes.

I enjoyed the Jack/Martha kiss, I'll not deny it. Oops!

Ever since the club bathroom scene in "Day One," I've become pretty used to Torchwood, and didn't think much could shock me. Owen's Tintin line surprised me, not because it shocked me, but because I know there's a whole heck of a lot of people who are going to be shocked/angry with it.

Profile    PM    Email   

Saturday, March 01 2008 @ 11:02 PM EST
    I must admit i didn't get the Tin Tin reference. What does it mean? Is Owen the Tin Dog or something now.

http://themedusacascadegazette.blogspot.com/
      Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, March 02 2008 @ 12:39 AM EST
    [Quote  by:  LanaiaD] I must admit i didn't get the Tin Tin reference. What does it mean? Is Owen the Tin Dog or something now.

Tintin is a French comic, like Asterix. From Wikipedia:

The Adventures of Tintin (French: Les Aventures de Tintin, Dutch: De Avonturen van Kuifje) is a series of comic books created by Belgian artist Hergé, the pen name of Georges Remi (1907–1983)... Set in a painstakingly researched world closely mirroring our own, The Adventures of Tintin presents a number of characters in distinctive settings. The series has continued as a favourite of readers and critics alike for over 70 years.
    The hero of the series is the eponymous character, Tintin, a young Belgian reporter and traveller. He is aided in his adventures from the beginning by his faithful dog Snowy (Milou in French).

Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, March 02 2008 @ 09:49 AM EST
    Of course, Dreamworks is currently making a Tintin trilogy of films, all in CGI. Last I heard, Spielberg was directing the first film and Peter Jackson the second. Not sure who the third films director is - probably Zemekis.

Anyway, the reason I mention it at all is that they rumoured to be scripted by our own Stephen Moffat (The Empty Child, Girl In The Fire Place, Blink).

Personally I love the Tintin books and am already hopping from foot to foot in excitement. Big Grin

If half the art of survival is running away, the other half is knowing when to keep a straight face.
      Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, March 03 2008 @ 11:51 AM EST
    (also a big tintin fan! I heard they caste the role, but now I can't remember to which actor).

what a waste of Richard Briers -- what a waste of a story line that really started last year (the rich guy buying all the alien junk off ebay). They really blew that set up, in my opinion. He could have been so much more than just ten minutes of I don't want to die, and then being okay with it.

I will probably spend the rest of the series counting the times that Owen actually "feels" something (a pulse, for example).

supremacy is relative
      Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, March 03 2008 @ 02:34 PM EST
    OK- never mind that he is (un)dead, but if Owen can talk he can certainly blow air into someone's lungs! Did anyone else notice how he was panting while mourning the fact that he doesn't breathe??? I was just totally confused. For me, the "wheel of morality" moment* was when he said to Jack, "You get to live forever while I get to die forever."

[*a reference to the Animaniacs cartoons. Whenever I get to the moment in a TV show or movie when the moral of the story is brought to light, I hear them in my head saying, "Wheel of Morality, turn and turn. Tell us the lesson that we must learn..." Smile ]

Did you say "74,384,338 to 1 against"? That's my lucky number!
      Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, March 04 2008 @ 04:40 AM EST
    I liked it... it was okay, not fantastic, but it wasn't horrible.
    I like the idea of the alien message, and the scenes between Owen and the girl.
    The tin tin bit had me laughing, mainly because a good girl friend of mine is a huge Tin Tin fan, whom has a similar option regarding the way Tin Tin "swings" as Owen had, (but not with the dog, but with Captain Haddock.)

But alas, there was a plot hole the size of Neptune regarding Owen in this story.
    How can he talk when he has no air?
    How can he do his job when he can't feel?
    How come his body wasn't injured at all from being electrocuted?

And if he doesn't have the hand injury or a broken finger in the next episode I will be very peeved.
    Continuity people.

And I'm a very sad panda at how underused Martha was, these just weren't the right stories for her to appear in, seeing as the focus was (and rightfully so) on Owen.

Overall, not a bad episode, it just suffered under plothole madness.

It's really odd, when he first died in Reset, I wanted him to come back, but now that he's back, I want him to die. They really need to resolve this issue with Owen soon. It makes no sense.

bye bye david :(

Tuesday, March 04 2008 @ 05:47 AM EST
    [Quote  by:  romana_II] How can he talk when he has no air?

Yes, I also noticed that. No air to run over the vocal chords should mean Owen no talky.

I also thought Jack saying to Owen "how long is this going to go on for" was a bit rich. I'd have said, "well, you bought me back mate. I wouldn't even be here if you'd once bothered asking me the code to the vault". Also, didn't it take Jack centuries to get over his immortality? What a hypocrite!

Also, we've had three incidents in two weeks (four if you include his initially being shot dead) where Owen is selflessly sacrificing himself while the rest of the team are sobbing their tearful fairwells-

1- volounteering to be injected with whatever it was to finish himself off in the mortuary, with Gwen and co all misty eyed.

2- beating the Grim Reaper at fisticuffs with everyone sobbing at the glass door.

3- absorbing the energy from the Pulse with the Team blubbing their farewells over the intercom (probably beginning to wonder if he'll actually pop his clogs or not this time).

I wonder what Owen's selfless sacrifice will be for this weeks climax (if one can use the word "climax" in conjunction with Torchwood without Captain Jack puffing his cheeks, rolling his eyes and making some crass innuendo).

Wink

Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, March 04 2008 @ 08:34 AM EST
    Is Owen going to be written off the show though in the end? I heard on a podcast somewhere that he is going to be in a remake of Steptoe and Son or something. Maybe Martha will be a full cast member next season?

http://themedusacascadegazette.blogspot.com/
      Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, March 04 2008 @ 09:43 AM EST
    [Quote  by:  mad4plaid]

what a waste of Richard Briers.

Yes that's one of the points I made on CIA on Sunday Episode 30 (3/2/08 - or here in the UK 2/3/08 Smile ) - along with little use of Martha and the poor scene of Martha leaving.

CIA TalkShoe

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali

Tuesday, March 04 2008 @ 11:30 AM EST
    [Quote  by:  rocko] OK- never mind that he is (un)dead, but if Owen can talk he can certainly blow air into someone's lungs! Did anyone else notice how he was panting while mourning the fact that he doesn't breathe??? I was just totally confused. For me, the "wheel of morality" moment* was when he said to Jack, "You get to live forever while I get to die forever."

Yeah, I thought that was stupid too. If he can talk, he's forcing air out of his lungs. That almost lost me, because it was so unrealistic. Despite the fact that a walking dead body isn't very realistic, once you set up the rules in the story, it's possible. But to show him clearly talking and breathing (and panting) and then pretending he can't do mouth-to-mouth, is just laziness.

I'm not sure I'm liking where this is going. Having Jack be immortal is one thing, regenerating after any injury, but having Owen immortal without the ability to even heal a cut, is another entirely. For him, it's only going to be a slow degeneration until he's an immobile mass of broken bones and zombified flesh.

I thought the device they found would reverse the effects. Something's got to, otherwise... what? What's the point of having him continue to "live"?

Sean.

EDIT: fixed malformed QUOTE tag—Taras

One solid hope is worth a cartload of uncertainties.

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed
    Words are censored