The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 305 - Interviews with Peter Howell and Ron Katz
  • Five Years of The Cultdom Collective Podcast!
  • The Official BBC Teaser Promo Video for the New 2014 Series [VIDEO]
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: The Claws of Axos? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 304 - 'The Claws of Axos' is Reviewed
  • New Doctor Who Series Launch Confirmed for August and Teaser Promo Video
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: The Invasion of Time? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 303 - 'The Invasion of Time' is Reviewed
  • Dozens of Doctor Who guests converge on Long Island this November!
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 302 - Terry Walsh Interviewed

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Colin Baker Interviewed by the Gallifreyan Embassy (1987)
    Colin Baker Interviewed by the Gallifreyan Embassy (1987)
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  Torchwood - Series 2 »  [Spoilers] TW s2e9 Something Borrowed
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    [Spoilers] TW s2e9 Something Borrowed Views: 1653
     Thursday, March 06 2008 @ 09:07 PM EST
    Throught I'd start the ball running on this story, seeing as I managed to catch this one last night.

I liked this one quite alot, it really had me on the edge of my seat, so to speak, moved and just plainly enjoying it. But that might be the big girl in me, seeing as this is a story set at Gwen's wedding after all.

However, the whole Owen issue still grates on me, but at least they aren't dwelling on it *too much* or having him do anything too insane this week. (and keeping up with the continuity of his hand injury from last week.)
    And on a pure fangirl note, I loved the dancing scene at the end with Ianto. That boy's grown so much. Smile

Overall, a good episode. Not perfect, but not horrible. It had me enjoying all 40 odd minutes of it. My third favourite of the season so far.

Now what does everyone else think?

bye bye david :(
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Thursday, March 06 2008 @ 09:20 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  romana_II] Throught I'd start the ball running on this story, seeing as I managed to catch this one last night.

Now what does everyone else think?

I enjoyed the story - again Rhys and Gwen were great.

The only problem I had was with Owen knowing so much about this alien race.

He didn't sound as though he'd read up about them in the Torchwood Files - more that he knew a lot about alien races.

Jack looked a bit upset with Ianto butting in - he has a thing for Qwen - maybe she reminded him of his wife as shown in the photo at the end.

Cheers, daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali

Friday, March 07 2008 @ 06:22 AM EST

And how about that trailer for Episode 10?!

Torchwood does "The Greatest Show in the Galaxy"...

"C'mon, Ace... we've got work to do!"

Friday, March 07 2008 @ 07:14 AM EST
    Next episode I believe is the PJ Hammond story, with the characters in films coming to life, much similar to the Sapphire and Steel story.
    Really looking forward to next week.

bye bye david :(

Friday, March 07 2008 @ 08:05 AM EST
    All in all a bit of an action romp with awkward situations and slapstick comedy.

Not saying I didn't like it, but it was all a bit predictable.

And how many stories have I seen where a known shape-shifter is floating around somewhere, yet no one is the slightest bit suspicious when someone they know comes alone into a room.

The scene with Jack and Gwen was ridiculous. Gwen's not that stupid, no matter what's happened.

I DID like the misdirection they did with Rhys's mum, though. Making us think the one in the room is the shapeshifter, and not the one talking to Gwen's mum. Liked that. That was at least refreshing and fairly original.

The rest... not original, much. Still fun, though.

Sean.

One solid hope is worth a cartload of uncertainties.

Friday, March 07 2008 @ 10:13 AM EST
    [Quote  by:  seanhuxter] ... not original, much. Still fun, though.

I think I've come to realise that's the best you can expect from Torchwood. Don't get your hopes too high and you'll have an okay time of things. You'll have seen at all before somewhere, this is just old ideas being rehashed.

The only reason I'm even watching this series (I bailed on series 1 halfway through) is because it's on the BBC's iPlayer and I can watch it online at lunchtimes during the week. Often while I'm doing something else.

This episode was okay, nice to see Nerys Hughes again (last seen in Kinda, if memory serves). Liked the Evil Dead feel to it. I think Rhys is emerging as my favourite character, hope he doesn't get offed to make way for Gwen and Jack.

If half the art of survival is running away, the other half is knowing when to keep a straight face.
      Profile    PM    Email   

Friday, March 07 2008 @ 10:28 AM EST
    I'm not quite sure how I feel about this episode yet. In general, I liked it quite a bit. It's much more character-based than most episodes. I liked the Gwen-Rhys interaction; the changes to Rhys and Ianto's characters alone would make this series worthwhile so far.

Basically, my only real problem with this episode is the continuation of the Jack-Gwen tension. Up until their dancing, I thought that maybe the episode was saying that any romantic affection was all on her side. But when he made it so very clear that he was only dancing with Ianto grudgingly . . . I can only hope that this is all going to lead to the blow-up of tension that Ianto promised in "Cyberwoman" and they aren't just going to drop or toy with it. I don't want to see our teaboy hurt.

I've got to wonder about the scalpel or whatever it is (I'm at school and can't check the name at the mo). It just killed the bug in Martha, and that was that. I don't know much about biology, but I thought maybe it would pass through her body, dissolve maybe? They clearly didn't have surgery to take it out. Now they kill the sac of eggs in Gwen, and her stomach just deflates. If you've ever seen a pregnant woman's stomach, it doesn't just work like that. (And they'd better not show her stomach without showing her either doing a hell of a lot of crunches, or show the skin as stretched out as it would be.) And where did those eggs go? They were killed, but wouldn't they just sit in her body slowly poisoning her? She certainly couldn't get up and run around afterwards and dance all night.

Profile    PM    Email   

Friday, March 07 2008 @ 11:24 AM EST

The alien device "vaporizes" the target, as in, it's gone. No remnants, no messy clean-up. No waxy buildupówell, at least I don't think so... So, ergo, eggs be gone!

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!

Saturday, March 08 2008 @ 12:43 AM EST
    [Quote  by:  daveac]The only problem I had was with Owen knowing so much about this alien race.

It's kind of par for the course though, isn't it?

I mean, if isn't Jack with an Doctor-like encyclopedia of knowledge to explain away the story, somebody else has to have it.

It makes me feel like I'm watching any ol' episode of American sci-fi. Mr. Green

But, yes, I agree with old china: I don't have my expectations set to high, and I'm just enjoying the episodes for what they are.

And I've enjoyed every story so far this season.

[Quote  by:  sarahbot]I've got to wonder about the scalpel or whatever it is (I'm at school and can't check the name at the mo). It just killed the bug in Martha, and that was that.

The singularity scalpel. It disintegrates the object it targets. Efficient, yes? Smile

Oh, and I loved the fact that Owen emptied at least two full clips into the creature. That's one helluva clip.

And for my final thought: there's a guy that got rather, ahh, torn up in this episode. But apparently we're going to 'retcon 6' him out as well. Confused

Profile    PM    Email   

Saturday, March 08 2008 @ 08:22 AM EST
    I gave up Series 1 about 4 episodes in, but I have to say I'm thoroughly enjoying this season.

The first episode didn't do much for me, and I drifted away for the next few, but I've watched every episode from Meat onwards, and am pleased to discover I'm now eagerly awaiting the next episode each week.

I'm particularly enjoying Ianto this year, he seems to have grown a lot as a character. He's the source of the series' best comedy, and manages to be both a stylish gentleman and a bit of a badass at times.

The only disappointment I had this week was that, like some others have commented above, the Jack-Gwen romantic tension seems unnecessary.

Saturday, March 08 2008 @ 09:06 AM EST
    [Quote  by:  tarashnat]
    The alien device "vaporizes" the target, as in, it's gone. No remnants, no messy clean-up. No waxy buildupówell, at least I don't think so... So, ergo, eggs be gone!

It can't just "vaporize" the eggs, the vapor would still be inside Gwen. Vaporizing something also expands it. A solid vaporized takes up far more space. It has to teleport it.

And also no one should take my negative comments on their own. Those were "the negatives" about the show, but other than that I really liked it. It wasn't a negative reaction to the whole episode.

Sean.

Saturday, March 08 2008 @ 12:32 PM EST

It was a fun fast moving episode albeit feeling a bit too familiar at times. My problem was in order for it to go forward in the direction it wanted to go, it pretty much had to dumb down the character of Gwen.

I don't think it was within the character of her to go forward with the wedding with all the implications of her current condition would create. At one point in the episode the character says "we didn't think this all out" or something like that... well, that is the whole thing, I think Gwen would have thought it all out before becoming iron-locked into the idea of going forward with the wedding.

If she was dead set on tying the knot on that day, fine. They could have done it as a private wedding and postpone the family/friends ceremony to a future date when she would not be showing.

But whatever. Often you have to throw logic out the window in this series. Like Owen not having any breath, yet he can talk just fine.

Cheers,
    Louis

☛ Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LouisTrapani ♥ ♥

Monday, March 10 2008 @ 09:22 AM EDT
    Louis,

I think that they were implying that her raging hormones didn't allow for her to think things out properly. At least that's how I took it.

it was pretty obvious to me (which bothered me) that the scene in the bridal suite between Gwen and Jack wasn't really between Gwen and Jack. If she picked up on the scent of Brenda's perfume, I would assume that she'd be able to pick up on Jack not smelling right (and let's not get into what kind of scent that uber sex machine might have).

I do hope that now that Gwen is married, they'll drop this Gwen/Jack potential and get back to the buddy-buddy stuff. As much of a player as Jack is, I think his own personal sense of morality (yes, I believe he has one) will prevent him from going for a married woman. But that's just my view of his character.

Next week looks interesting -- especially with us getting a glimpse of Jack's past (hopefully more than a glimpse!)

supremacy is relative
      Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, March 10 2008 @ 10:05 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Louis]
    I don't think it was within the character of her to go forward with the wedding with all the implications of her current condition would create. At one point in the episode the character says "we didn't think this all out" or something like that... well, that is the whole thing, I think Gwen would have thought it all out before becoming iron-locked into the idea of going forward with the wedding.

Cheers,
    Louis

Well they showed her eating whole pickled gurkins - so we could take it that she was in full 'pregnancy mode' - and maybe not thinking straight.

Cheers, daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali

Monday, March 10 2008 @ 10:29 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Louis]
    If she was dead set on tying the knot on that day, fine. They could have done it as a private wedding and postpone the family/friends ceremony to a future date when she would not be showing.

Cheers,
    Louis

No offense, Louis, but ... ever planned a wedding?

It's months of hard work, negotiating with planners, relatives, photographers, it's a major confluence of disparate elements, and just changing it on the fly is not something that will ever happen.

Not to mention, I think it was made pretty clear that the sudden hormonal influx Gwen was experiencing, what with becoming very recently and very suddenly pregnant, was seriously affecting her judgement.

With that said, and knowing what she knew at the time, I still think she should have been wary of a friend entering the room alone.

Still fun though.

-M-

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed
    Words are censored