The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing the 2014 Series Scheduled for Sunday, Nov 30
  • Peter Capaldi Being Interviewed by Craig Ferguson in 2009 [VIDEO]
  • Doctor Who Christmas Special 2014 Preview from BBC Children in Need
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 318 - 'Death in Heaven' Reviewed
  • Doctor Who Christmas Special 2014 Promo "Trailer" Video
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Death in Heaven? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Death in Heaven' Scheduled for Sunday, Nov 09
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 317 - 'Dark Water' Reviewed
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Dark Water? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Dark Water' Scheduled for Sunday, Nov 02

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Louis and Ken Spotted by a TARDIS
    Louis and Ken Spotted by a TARDIS
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  Torchwood - Series 2 »  [Spoilers] TW s2e11 Adrift
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    [Spoilers] TW s2e11 Adrift Views: 2103
     Wednesday, March 19 2008 @ 06:58 PM EDT
    Just thought i'll start this topic, before I go to bed. Sorry!

If you like your emotional stuff, you'll enjoy it. If not, like me you'll label the story as 'pathetic' and wonder why its been recommisoned for next year (which let's face it, it has!).

Sorry, TW fans, I think series 1 is a 1000 times better than this series, yes even the cyberwoman episode! I don't know if it has anything to do with it but is RTD's absence, as a writer, the reason why (I don't think) this series isn't any good?

This episode lacked any real sense, why didn't Jack tell anyone (apart from his shagging partner Ianto) about the island and how the rift can 'suck things up' (no Jack and Ianto jokes please!). Wouldn't it have been easier? Why didn't Ruth Jones seem funny? Why did the 15-year old, look about 21 in the opening scene? Why doesn't Rhys give Gwen a slap and remind her who her husband is? Why did the 30-second trailer for the next episode look better than the last 40 odd minutes of this episode?

1/5 (it would have been 0 if Sloth from the Goonies hadn't made an appearance!)

Please check out my blog, as I attempt to watch and review EVERY Doctor Who episode! http://journeythroughtimeandspace.blogspot.com/
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Wednesday, March 19 2008 @ 07:13 PM EDT

This was frightning, hair-raising stuff.

The worse beast ever is let loose in the Torchwood base.

Poor Gwen is both shocked and bemused - and there seems no way back, no place to hide!

This is Torchwood grapling with things that have never been seen before

- they face their greatest emotions and weaknesses.

Yes you've guessed it:-

It's Jack and Ianto - in the buff!

Cheers, daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali

Wednesday, March 19 2008 @ 07:24 PM EDT
    I liked it without thinking it was great.

As witnessed by the last episode of Series 3, making people age doesnt always work well (visually) and seeing Jonah as a 50 year old teenager was a bit difficult to get your head around.

I kinda liked the lighthouse island hospital idea (albeit whilst aware of the age old question about why on earth doesn't anyone else know about it comes back....

I think Ruth Jones is lovely and she was very good.

Not an essential episode, but ok while it was on.

Nothing dies of old age on Skaro!
      Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, March 19 2008 @ 07:49 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Tardis-Knight]

Not an essential episode, but ok while it was on.

It was an OK episode - again for me the best bits were Qwen and Rhys together - but two things spoiled it.

Why were they so slow to figure out things could go through the Rift when in episode one Captian John had done so - and why was Gwen so slow to work out the people on the island were the missing people?

Cheers, daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali

Wednesday, March 19 2008 @ 10:18 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  daveac] Why were they so slow to figure out things could go through the Rift when in episode one Captian John had done so -

Cheers, daveac

And admitidly though it was only Owen that witnessed it Diane from the Out of time episode flew her plane back through the rift. I would presume that that would leave a bigger negative signature and they would notice that something is going on. Perhaps it is just another retcon (Retroactive Continuity that is, not the drug Wink ) way of explaning why that wherever the Doctor goes there usually seem to be Humans around. I think the scream was the most Meh moment, would have been better if the people were still being shifted or directly affected by the rift on a random basis. But 20 hours of screaming a day will kill you, quickly.

Cheers,
    Mike

I'm a Time Traveler, I point and laugh at archaeologist.

Thursday, March 20 2008 @ 12:17 AM EDT

I really liked this episode. A real tear jerker. Powerful, emotional stuff. A nice counterpoint to the episodes we've seen so far.

@cybercolin: The reason Jack didn't tell anyone is obvious with the ending. Most people have difficulty dealing with the situation presented in this story. It's better to let the relatives have hope than be devastated by the truth of the situation.

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!

Thursday, March 20 2008 @ 07:52 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  daveac]
    Yes you've guessed it:-

It's Jack and Ianto - in the buff!

^_^

It even gave me a bit of a shock, and I'm a Jack/Ianto fangirl. I can only imagine men would think of that scene.

Moving on.

This episode really moved me, I was almost crying at the end, I liked it a lot. I was angry at Jack at first, but once you see why Jack was acting that way I wasn't angry anymore. Sure it's not perfect, but Torchwood is still really finding it's feet. I would give it 3.5/5

And on a slightly related note, just a point I've been wanting to make for a while.
    Hearing everyone bash Torchwood all the time makes me a little sad really, sure the show isn't for everyone, sure it has it's up and downs but in the end you either like it or you don't.

I like Torchwood, I look forward to it every week, and for me there hasn't been one episode I hated or would rate under 3.

I feel Torchwood leans much more on the Drama element, than Sci Fi, which this episode proves, and I like that, because frankly, (and this is just my personal taste) Sci Fi that don't have much Drama or emotional depth to them, are a little boring. As a viewer you want to connect to the characters, whether they are human or blue bug creatures from Malcassairo.

Alas, maybe it's just me.
    I'll get off my shoebox now.

bye bye david :(

Thursday, March 20 2008 @ 07:56 AM EDT
    My god, what do you people want?

This episode rates a 15 for me.

Out of 10.

If Torchwood can be like this, I despair that it isn't like this all the time.

This was the most perfect episode I've seen so far, and I'm sad only because I know they can't and will never all be this good.

To me, this is what Torchwood is all about. This is what's happening behind the scenes while all the "exciting" stuff is going on.

This episode, though he was only in it for a bit, Rhys was the best I've ever seen him.

As for them knowing people can go through the rift, that's not the issue. Of course they can. They've seen it. As you say, with Captain John, and with the pilot from the 50s. But this isn't what this episode is about. This episode is about backwash victims. People who get sucked into the rift after it expels something. Like stuff sucked down a drain after it overflows. They did NOT know that THIS was happening. Except Jack. Jack knew, but as he said, you can't do anything about it. And he's compassionate enough to try to do something to help those he can who suffer the consequences.

Also, the island looked so much like Cape Spear back home (Newfoundland) or Fort Amherst that I got homesick watching Gwen walk around the old bunkers. (In Newfoundland, at the mouth of St. John's Harbour, there are two sets of WWI and WWII bunkers, which I used to roam around while I lived there in my off hours. And at Cape Spear, a dozen or so miles away, another labyrinth of tunnels made me feel amazing just walking through them, like walking through history. They even have two massive guns lying rusting in the sun. I got that feeling again watching Torchwood tonight.)

For people who watch TV just for guns and car chases, this episode is not for you. For those who want more than just guns and car chases, and want some real heart, this is the only episode you need ever watch.

To me, this was the Torchwood's equivalent to the Star Trek: Next Generation episode where Picard lived a whole life in a few minutes after touching an alien artefact. Perfection. Emotion. Everything.

Sean.

One solid hope is worth a cartload of uncertainties.

Thursday, March 20 2008 @ 09:01 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  seanhuxter] My god, what do you people want?

This episode rates a 15 for me.

Out of 10.

If Torchwood can be like this, I despair that it isn't like this all the time.

This was the most perfect episode I've seen so far, and I'm sad only because I know they can't and will never all be this good.

See, I got all of that with the episode in which Owen got shot (although what a load of rubbbish the dead but alive follow up stuff turned out to be) - but being honest, I can't say I felt like that about this.

It was good, I certainly didnt not like it - but not to the same extent you did.

Nothing dies of old age on Skaro!
      Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, March 20 2008 @ 09:11 AM EDT
    To me this was the best episode since "Out of Time" which I rated the best of season one.

Emotional depth is so lacking in most science fiction, that when I see it I get all giddy. And when I see it done perfectly, I get ecstatic.

Like now.

BTW, did anyone catch the Doctor Who references? I didn't notice it because a lot of what Jonah said was so low on my TV I missed his words.

But apparently when he talked about being taken aboard a building, being rescued, then seeing a solar system burn, the implication was that this was the Doctor and his TARDIS, and it's possible the solar system was Gallifrey.

To quote Wikipedia on the matter:
    "Jonah refers to being pulled out of flames by a man, travelling through time, and going into, what he at the time thought to be a building, a space craft. He could be describing The Doctor and his TARDIS. Jonah makes reference to a burning planet and a solar system, which could be Gallifrey, and Jonah also makes specific mention of the craft he was in being the last one."

Sean.

One solid hope is worth a cartload of uncertainties.

Thursday, March 20 2008 @ 05:49 PM EDT
    Weevil hunting?
    Haven't we established that they all live in St. Mary's? And they fear Owen? And there's only 2 locked up in the Hub?

Drink
      Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, March 20 2008 @ 10:40 PM EDT
    This was a truly wonderful episode of Torchwood and an amazing piece of television. Despite enjoying Torchwood I have found its balance hard to accept. I find it sometimes too childish for an "adult drama" and obviously too adult for family viewing (I have not seen any of the edited versions). As a result I sometimes wonder what the show is trying to be. This episode had the balance perfect. It was emotionally very powerful, beautifully written and a fantastic performance by Eve Myles who really shows that she can carry an episode more or less by herself. I found it exceedingly creepy and felt a small shudder of shock as I saw Jack on the island and I really did find myself questioning his motives. Were there flaws in the plot? sure, but there always is with Torchwood (and Doctor Who for that matter) but I find I can overlook them as long as the story I am watching has a heart and is as well written as this!
    One thing that Torchwood has shown it can do is produce a wide variety of different stories and very few episodes are similar to another. This is something it shares with Doctor Who and which is pretty rare in television these days. I honestly do think that if the writers of Torchwood can start to produce episodes with this much depth and quality on a regular basis this show could be absolutely extraordinary!!!

Profile    PM    Email   

Friday, March 21 2008 @ 10:39 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  cybercolin]I don't know if it has anything to do with it but is RTD's absence, as a writer, the reason why (I don't think) this series isn't any good?

Aww, hell no! RTD's absence from this series is the best thing that could've happened to it! Mr. Green

Apparently tastes vary wildly, because I liked this episode as well.

I like the twist with the Rift taking people, and eventually spitting them back up. I like the reactions of the mother throughout the episode, even if they were what you'd expect.

Profile    PM    Email   

Friday, March 21 2008 @ 11:43 PM EDT
    I'm still mulling this one over. I did like the fact that Ianto went behind Jack's back to help out Gwen, and it's making me think and hope that they're going to follow up on the threats he made in "Cyberwoman."

Did anyone else noticed that after the greenhouse scene, Jack had his shoes done up properly but hadn't zipped his pants up? Oh Jack, never change. Laughing Out Loud

Please, someone tell me I missed something, and they explained why Jack didn't just tell Gwen about the Torchwood hospital. Because if I didn't miss something, that is a HUGE plot hole.

Profile    PM    Email   

Saturday, March 22 2008 @ 12:18 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  tarashnat]
    I really liked this episode. A real tear jerker. Powerful, emotional stuff. A nice counterpoint to the episodes we've seen so far.

Agreed. I was really caught off guard. I found this to be an outstanding episode. Sure, I can point to some minor flaws if I had to, but overall, I found it to be really engaging and powerful.

A nice centerpiece for the character Gwen. They really used her and her character to her full advantage in this story. Her character is the perfect vehicle to tackle the age-old problem of sometimes doing the "right thing" may not be really be the "right thing" in the end. Sure, it has been told before in other dramas, and I am sure we will see it again, but it doesn't take away from how well done it was crafted here. It is a testimony to the character of Gwen as portrayed by Eve Myles along with Rhys (Kai Owen) in addition to how they played Captain Jack character in this story.

Owen and Tosh didn't have much to do in this episode (especially Owen), but that is okay, it was really necessary in this story. Since we did have a few episodes in series 2 that heavily focused on Owen, it fills the balance by focusing off him for this story.

Cheers,
    Louis

☛ Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LouisTrapani ♥ ♥

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic