The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'In the Forest of the Night' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 26
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 315 - 'Flatline' Reviewed
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Flatline? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Flatline' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 19th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 314 - 'Mummy on the Orient Express' Reviewed
  • Music Video of 'Don't Stop Me Now' Performed by Foxes from Doctor Who 'Mummy on the Orient Express'
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Mummy on the Orient Express? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Mummy on the Orient Express' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 12th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 313 - 'Kill the Moon' Reviewed
  • The Curse Of The Black Tooth - Spoilers!

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Sil from Vengance on Varos
    Sil from Vengance on Varos
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  Torchwood - Series 2 »  [Spoilers] TW s2e11 Adrift
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    [Spoilers] TW s2e11 Adrift Views: 2055
     Saturday, March 22 2008 @ 12:21 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  merlin_mccarley] ... But 20 hours of screaming a day will kill you, quickly.

Yeah, I thought that was a bit far fetched myself.

☛ Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LouisTrapani ♥ ♥
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Saturday, March 22 2008 @ 12:50 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  seanhuxter] To me this was the best episode since "Out of Time" which I rated the best of season one.

Emotional depth is so lacking in most science fiction, that when I see it I get all giddy. And when I see it done perfectly, I get ecstatic.

Like now.

Sean, this is one of those episodes in which we are both firmly in the same camp. I agree wholeheartedly. Although we haven't seen all of series 2 so far, up to this point, I would say this is my favourite episode of this series.

I was really captured by the relationship between Gwen and Rhys in this story. I think they did Rhys well too here. His character could have gone in some more typical directions (such as possibly playing the jealousy card concerning PC Andy still holding a flame for Gwen), but he did not thankfully. This story really shows the maturity of his character. I am glad they have chosen to go this direction.

Another surprise in this story was the lack of The Mill's work here. Well, at least on an obvious level. Just before the Jonah scream occurred, just when the characters were preparing his mother and us, the audience for his bad phase, I thought to myself, "ahh... this is where The Mill comes in." Thinking that he was going to glow and some sort of ethereal energy was going to flow out of him or something of that sorts... i.e. here comes the CGI stuff... I was pleasantly surprised that I was wrong, and it was merely a terrifying scream... no CG at all. Nothing against the fine work of The Mill, but it just wasn't needed here. It worked better without any flashy effects.

Another factor in this story that hits close to home for me is the underlying message of it. Are we making the right decision when we think we are? These can have life and death consequences as well. When I recently lost my brother, right before he passed, decisions had to be made in the hospital on whether he should be resuscitated or not. I find myself struggling with this question even today after he has died. Even though the doctors said it would be "impossible" for him to recover -- at least while he was still breathing there was hope. But would it be right for him to suffer hanging on to life, if indeed he was suffering?

Like Gwen, when you are in the middle of things, sometimes it is difficult to see what is the right thing to do. You can follow your gut and your heart that tells you strongly what path to follow, only to discover that perhaps you were wrong. Or sometimes you will never know for sure.

Yeah, I think this story did hit close to home for me for that reason along with how the characters played themselves out, the storytelling, the emotion, the pacing, the direction, etc. Overall, I feel it is very strong episode of Torchwood. Sure, I can and did find some faults with it here and there, but it wasn't enough to take away from the overall episode.

Cheers,
    Louis

Saturday, March 22 2008 @ 05:51 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  romana_II] I was almost crying at the end, I liked it a lot.

I WAS crying by the end. Which was unfortunate as I was watching while on an exercise machine: trying to keep a rhythm + watch a show + crying tears + that sucking in of the breath that happens why you cry = brusies. Lots of bruises.

I didn't mind the show. As stated above, I was really moved. I think my favorite part, however, was when Gwen came home and found a pillow and blanket waiting at the closed bedroom door for her. That's what happens when you stop giving your hubby amnesia pills. Deal, baby.

While I understand that Jack was wanting to protect his team from the pain of what was happening, when is he going to learn that it's time to share?

I'm guessing that Jack didn't tell Ianto about the island. Ianto in his earlier roll as coffee-fetcher, was often not seen or heard, so he could have easily find out what was happening without Jack knowing.

I didn't mind the naked boys part. Sadly it was too short. But I keep wondering what kind of fraternization rules Torchwood has? I expect it may turn a blind eye, but to have a subordinate and the chief getting together in the corporate office? Where's the fallout? Where's the sexual harrassment lawsuit (even if Ianto is satisfied with the situation). Okay, enough rational thought on this subject.

supremacy is relative
      Profile    PM    Email   

Saturday, March 22 2008 @ 06:12 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Louis] I was really captured by the relationship between Gwen and Rhys in this story. I think they did Rhys well too here. His character could have gone in some more typical directions (such as possibly playing the jealousy card concerning PC Andy still holding a flame for Gwen), but he did not thankfully. This story really shows the maturity of his character. I am glad they have chosen to go this direction.

I think some of this series Rhys and Gwen scenes have been brilliant - and after starting off as nothing than a big wet blanket, Rhys has come on really well.

Nothing dies of old age on Skaro!
      Profile    PM    Email   

Saturday, March 22 2008 @ 06:31 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Tardis-Knight]
    I think some of this series Rhys and Gwen scenes have been brilliant - and after starting off as nothing than a big wet blanket, Rhys has come on really well.

Yeah, he's sort of turned out to the be Doctor Who's "Mickey" in a way...

Cheers,
    Louis

Saturday, March 22 2008 @ 06:33 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  seanhuxter] ...
    BTW, did anyone catch the Doctor Who references? I didn't notice it because a lot of what Jonah said was so low on my TV I missed his words.

But apparently when he talked about being taken aboard a building, being rescued, then seeing a solar system burn, the implication was that this was the Doctor and his TARDIS, and it's possible the solar system was Gallifrey.

To quote Wikipedia on the matter:
    "Jonah refers to being pulled out of flames by a man, travelling through time, and going into, what he at the time thought to be a building, a space craft. He could be describing The Doctor and his TARDIS. Jonah makes reference to a burning planet and a solar system, which could be Gallifrey, and Jonah also makes specific mention of the craft he was in being the last one."

Sean.

I didn't catch it all the first time around because as you said, his voice was rather low. Thanks for posting... I will have to pay more attention when I see it again.

It could very well be the Doctor.

Cheers,
    Louis

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post