The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Flatline? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Flatline' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 19th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 314 - 'Mummy on the Orient Express' Reviewed
  • Music Video of 'Don't Stop Me Now' Performed by Foxes from Doctor Who 'Mummy on the Orient Express'
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Mummy on the Orient Express? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Mummy on the Orient Express' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 12th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 313 - 'Kill the Moon' Reviewed
  • The Curse Of The Black Tooth - Spoilers!
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Kill The Moon? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Kill The Moon' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 5th

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Doctor Who Ties
    Doctor Who Ties
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  Torchwood - Series 2 »  [Spoilers]TW S2 E13 'Exit Wounds'
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    [Spoilers]TW S2 E13 'Exit Wounds' Views: 3892
     Friday, April 04 2008 @ 05:11 PM EDT

There will be Spoilers

Get out your hankies!

This is a very strong episode and a real tear jerker!

Cheers, daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Friday, April 04 2008 @ 05:19 PM EDT
    Brilliant!

& yep, you're right Dave!! I'm far too much of a macho brute to ever cry whilst watching Torchwood; but Tosh's (and Owen's) scenes are the closest I'm likely to get.

"I hope I did good?" - you did Toshiko; believe.

Simply wonderful.

Bravo.

Nothing dies of old age on Skaro!
      Profile    PM    Email   

Friday, April 04 2008 @ 05:32 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Tardis-Knight] Brilliant!

& yep, you're right Dave!! I'm far too much of a macho brute to ever cry whilst watching Torchwood; but Tosh's (and Owen's) scenes are the closest I'm likely to get.

"I hope I did good?" - you did Toshiko; believe.

Simply wonderful.

Bravo.

I loved it to - but needed a stiff drink afterwards as I got some dirt in my eye Wink

Here's something to read after you have watched the episode:-

Naoko Mori talking on Digital Spy

Cheers, daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali

Friday, April 04 2008 @ 06:10 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  daveac] I got some dirt in my eye Wink

You need to stop dusting while watching television... Wink

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!

Friday, April 04 2008 @ 08:40 PM EDT
    Wasn't as distinctly avearge as the rest of the series, so I suppose thats good! I actually had a feeling someone was going to be killed off, hopefully they can move forward and improve on this series, which imho wasn't a patch on S1.

Didn't understand Gray's motives, seemed a bit childish to me. If someone had made me lose my brother's grip and impriosned me, I would want revenge on the one's who had chased me, not my brother.

They made sure they got the Doctor Who (Aliens of London) refernce in, even though it was poor. Don't know what having the 'Death' figures (that Ianto and Tosh shot) was all about.

Captain John made like a Frenchman and changed sides, a good character as he is, I hope we don't see him for a while. Bring back Bilis, now there is a proper villian and the BEST character to ever appear in Torchwood.

4/5 for Exit Wounds

2/5 for the series, sorry I feel really let down!

Please check out my blog, as I attempt to watch and review EVERY Doctor Who episode! http://journeythroughtimeandspace.blogspot.com/

Friday, April 04 2008 @ 09:47 PM EDT

2 points.

1. We now know (Cannonically speaking) that Tosh was the same character in the... As she put it "Space Pig" episode.

2. Why was Jack worried about aging in "The Last of the Timelords"? I have not sat down to the maths yet but Sheesh!

I'm a Time Traveler, I point and laugh at archaeologist.

Saturday, April 05 2008 @ 02:52 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  merlin_mccarley]
    1. We now know (Cannonically speaking) that Tosh was the same character in the... As she put it "Space Pig" episode.

This has been known for a long time.

2. Why was Jack worried about aging in "The Last of the Timelords"? I have not sat down to the maths yet but Sheesh!

I believe that this was a subtle way to link two apparently different characters.

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!

Saturday, April 05 2008 @ 04:23 AM EDT
    Not having been spoiled at all prior to watching it, I have to say that truly rocked my world. I was absolutely riveted to my screen. There were the odd moments that made no sense whatsoever — well, okay, the one moment when the guys with scythes showed up — but even that at least had comedic value. (Though it was rather an Indiana Jones-esque clichι.)

I have to admit that this episode did a superb job of making sense of the series. I no longer see Torchwood as mere "acceptable filler" between seasons of Doctor Who. Given that the parent program is going to make us wait quite a while for Series 5, I'm glad that they've made this into a show that genuinely grabs my attention on its own merits. On the strength of this night, 2009 could well be that "magic" season that new concepts need to truly "emerge".

It's simply impossible to compare this series finale with last year's; this was better by almost every single measure. The only thing that really bugged me was the actor playing Gray. It was a good effort, but he didn't quite pitch it right, somehow. The character of Gray, by contrast, had a lot to recommend him. HIs motivations were easily understood — he's insane, but for good cause. He's the Master, for adults. It's a shame that the actor didn't bring more weight and nuance to the part, because the lines could have supported it.

Maybe in time, and with enough viewings, the Skeptic in me will return, but I'm bound to say for now that as narrative arcs go, that's the best effort we've gotten out of the Whoniverse since RTD took it over. Not quite sure what that's saying, though. Since Sarah Jane and Doctor Who are deliberately "continuity-light", it's in some senses unfair to judge the success of their seasons by the strength of their final episodes. Maybe it's just that Torchwood has finally lived up to its "adult" label by giving us a series-long story that rewards the viewer for paying attention — quite unlike last year.

While the tragic ending was clearly the emotional high point, what I really responded to was the fact that it echoed the theme of "Last of the Time Lords". It made me choke up to hear Jack forgiving his brother, because that literally came straight from the Doctor. If Sarah Jane Adventures is really about Sarah Jane carrying on, essentially, the tradition of the fun, adventuring Doctor, Torchwood seems now firmly fixed on portraying Jack as the steward of the Doctor's deeper, more serious attributes. I really dig that the three shows have clear, interesting territorial boundaries now.

The onus is clearly on Doctor Who now. After two stellar seasons of the spin-offs, can it maintain its status as the best thing coming out of Upper Boat? Given the lackluster Christmas performance, and the disdain with which people other than myself view some of the episodes of Series 3, it's more than a fair question.

"I think of myself as ambitious in casting terms, and I know that Bonnie [Langford] has the potential to make the part totally unirritating . . ." — JNT, 1986

Saturday, April 05 2008 @ 11:57 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  cybercolin] ..

Didn't understand Gray's motives, seemed a bit childish to me. If someone had made me lose my brother's grip and impriosned me, I would want revenge on the one's who had chased me, not my brother.

Yeah, I felt the same way. I sort of had to try to write it up as that he became twisted and demented from being tortured by the "creatures" and that made him the way he was... it was just hard to believe it as it was presented in this story.

☛ Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LouisTrapani ♥ ♥

Saturday, April 05 2008 @ 12:03 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  DarthSkeptical] ...The only thing that really bugged me was the actor playing Gray. It was a good effort, but he didn't quite pitch it right, somehow. The character of Gray, by contrast, had a lot to recommend him. HIs motivations were easily understood — he's insane, but for good cause. He's the Master, for adults. It's a shame that the actor didn't bring more weight and nuance to the part, because the lines could have supported it.

Yeah, I agree. This is what I meant from my comments in my previous posting here. He has become twisted, but it just wasn't sold as such really from what we seen in this story. I am not sure if it is solely due to the actor's interpretation of the character, or the script itself. Something was lacking to sell the audience completely.

Cheers,
    Louis

Saturday, April 05 2008 @ 02:00 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  tarashnat]

I agree, but it still seems to be a point of contention between some. Wink

Saturday, April 05 2008 @ 03:10 PM EDT

Did I miss something? Was there a mention of the space pig in this episode? I may need to re-watch it. I know I did get interrupted with a phone call while I was watching it. I might of missed something small at that point.

Cheers,
    Louis

Saturday, April 05 2008 @ 03:14 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Louis]

Did I miss something? Was there a mention of the space pig in this episode? I may need to re-watch it. I know I did get interrupted with a phone call while I was watching it. I might of missed something small at that point.

Cheers,
    Louis

It's there during the scene when they are fixing the reactor. Tosh had to pretend to be a medic during Owen's 2nd. week in Torchwood beacuse he was hung over.

Saturday, April 05 2008 @ 03:19 PM EDT

Actually, no, we haven't known this canonically until this episode. It was never stated onscreen that they were the same character, nor was it ever hinted that they might have been. Even the name "Doctor Sato" derives entirely from the credits to "Aliens of London".

In fact, I've always kind of found it odd, since she met the Doctor, and had access to everything known about him, that she never had a conversation with Jack about him. One would have thought the perfect opportunity would have been immediately after "End of Days". She should've been the one to go over all the Hub's internal security cameras and local external CCTV cameras with a fine tooth comb. She's a bright girl; she should have been able to put two and two together.

So when there was no connection made, despite Jack's fairly liberal use of the word, "Doctor", I kinda took that as narrative argument that there were two Satos. This deathbed revelation is thus very much a new thing.

In truth, it probably raises more questions than it answers, though. Here are a few: if she was there for Torchwood, wouldn't she have had to make some sort of after-action report? If so, wouldn't she have had to mention the Doctor in that report? Wouldn't that have made her remember the Doctor even more? Wouldn't Jack have given some sort of reaction to the name "the Doctor", especially since the report would have narrated an event that would have surely described "the right Doctor"? In short, the explanation given in this episode does a lot of good. It adequately explains why Tosh was an apparent MD in Doctor Who, but an IT expert in Torchwood. It doesn't, however, explain how she and Jack never connected over the Doctor, given that she knows what he looks like, would've had (at the very least) access to Clive's website, and would've recognized the sound that concludes "End of Days". So it was a nice touch, but it only answered one of the two mysteries arising from "Doctor Sato" in "Aliens of London".

"I think of myself as ambitious in casting terms, and I know that Bonnie [Langford] has the potential to make the part totally unirritating . . ." — JNT, 1986

Saturday, April 05 2008 @ 03:55 PM EDT
    No tears for me, but I was satisfied by the episode as a whole. If TW isn't renewed for season 3, I'll be disappointed, but I'll be able to accept it with this ending.

[Quote  by:  cybercolin]They made sure they got the Doctor Who (Aliens of London) refernce in, even though it was poor.

Hey, I was laughing out loud over that. I thought it was brilliant to just have it explained as a one-liner.

[Quote  by:  cybercolin]2/5 for the series, sorry I feel really let down!

My wife (yes, she has watched a few more episodes after she 'gave up') was really disappointed by this entire season, and didn't like this finale at all.

Me? I thought it was 10x better than series 1.

And was I the only one who was scratching their head over the way some of Gray's lines were delivered? At first I was just thinking that they had to do some rerecording of his lines, but then as you listen, at times those lines sounded more and more like Barrowman. Ok, the voice gives a real brotherly quality to the actor who plays Gray, but I was getting the impression that it was Barrowman himself dubbing lines over the actor's speaking. It was really off-putting the handful of times I caught it.

Profile    PM    Email   

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed
    Words are censored