The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 305 - Interviews with Peter Howell and Ron Katz
  • Five Years of The Cultdom Collective Podcast!
  • The Official BBC Teaser Promo Video for the New 2014 Series [VIDEO]
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: The Claws of Axos? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 304 - 'The Claws of Axos' is Reviewed
  • New Doctor Who Series Launch Confirmed for August and Teaser Promo Video
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: The Invasion of Time? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 303 - 'The Invasion of Time' is Reviewed
  • Dozens of Doctor Who guests converge on Long Island this November!
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 302 - Terry Walsh Interviewed

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  

Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  Torchwood - Series 3 »  Torchwood Season 3? 5 episodes? One connect..
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    Torchwood Season 3? 5 episodes? One connected story? Views: 2727
     Tuesday, April 22 2008 @ 07:38 AM EDT
    I don't recall hearing any news to date about a further series of Torchwood, but Rich Johnston's comic book gossip column "Lying In The Gutters" (www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=16123) for 21 April is reporting/predicting that "When 'Torchwood' returns for a new series, it will only be one story, five episodes long. And probably on BBC1."

Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Tuesday, April 22 2008 @ 07:47 AM EDT
    I keep seeing this around.

it makes no sence in a WHO lite year (if thats what we are getting.. im still not convinced) for us only to have 5 TW eps in one Arc.

but this roumour just wont go away. maybe they are short on HD cameras...

5tw plus 4 long DW means that they are basically making one show in a year rather than 2... not one and a bit like we thought... so maybe it is something as mundane as that.

Somewhere the tea is getting cold
      Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, April 22 2008 @ 08:23 AM EDT

I agree... with a Doctor Who light year in 2009, it would make sense more than ever to have a full series of Torchwood. Especially since it seemed to find its feet in series 2.

Cheers,
    Louis

☛ Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LouisTrapani ♥ ♥

Wednesday, April 23 2008 @ 11:32 PM EDT

Well, we are awaiting official word on the BBC commissioning a 3rd series of Torchwood...

Thursday, April 24 2008 @ 12:08 AM EDT
    Perhaps we'll get two short series of Torchwood instead of one full series?

This would spread Torchwood out and make the year feel more full: Torchwood could run Jan-Feb, Sarah Jane could run May-July, Torchwood could run again Oct-November, and there'd be Doctor Who specials as well.

It was mentioned that two series of Sarah Jane were being filmed back to back, although those plans have apparently been scrapped. Maybe Torchwood's getting two series instead.

tawm.net: read it. (please?)

Thursday, April 24 2008 @ 05:10 AM EDT
    I don't think i'll survive two back-to-back series of Torchwood! Hopefully the BBC have seen sense and noticed the dropping viewing figures, I mean if you are
    constantly being beaten by a cookery show, you deserve to be cancelled!

Please check out my blog, as I attempt to watch and review EVERY Doctor Who episode! http://journeythroughtimeandspace.blogspot.com/

Tuesday, June 03 2008 @ 10:40 AM EDT

This seems to be confirmed now on OG news:-

The 5 parts will be shown in one week.

Cheers, daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali

Tuesday, June 03 2008 @ 12:48 PM EDT

Why is this story coming via the TV Guide? Where are all the UK tabloids? Can't they make up some news about this important development? Or are they all tailing Beckham and his wife around the US, leaving a journalistic vacuum in the UK that needs to be filled?

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!

Tuesday, June 03 2008 @ 03:53 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  daveac]

Cheers, daveac

Is there a precedent for that type of showing in the UK? The last time I think they showed all episodes of something straight through in the states was when Roots originally aired. And that was brilliant -- but there is no way to compare them, I know.

supremacy is relative
      Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, June 03 2008 @ 04:04 PM EDT

This is disappointing news indeed. I was sure they'd be eager to fill the void left behind with Who taking most of '09 off - 5 episodes in less than 7 days? The hell? Angry

It can only get worse if the "family-fication" of the show also comes to pass. Having just caught up with all of Series 2 in recent weeks, I was blown away all over again at how great the series had become in just 2 years (not to mention how much more RTD's craft suits this series in many ways), only to hear shortly after that a severe 'toning down' was in the works. Blah. If they make this more or less all-fluff like SJA (which I still like, on its own terms) it will suck - hard. And 5 episodes seems like short-changing the whole works before filming even begins later this Summer.

I hope none of this comes to pass. Give us Mickey and Martha full-time if you must, but give us 13 new weeks of the show we've grown to expect after 2 years - not some pale shadow of its former self.

Human Biological Metacrisis = Bite Me, RTD.
      Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, June 04 2008 @ 12:12 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  daveac]

Cheers, daveac

There seems to be a message missing in this thread. 5 parts? 5 parts? What is 5 parts?

I guess I will check out OG news... (be right back)

Cheers,
    Louis

Wednesday, June 04 2008 @ 12:17 PM EDT

OK - I found the news item on OG here.

It seems like we are being short changed with new material fro both Doctor Who and Torchwood for 2009. Well, something is better than nothing I suppose.

I can finally get caught up with the podcasts as well this means. LOL.'

Though I really did enjoy series 2 of Torchwood. I would hate to see it slow down just when it found it's legs.

Cheers,
    Louis

Wednesday, June 04 2008 @ 01:50 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Will-I-Am]It can only get worse if the "family-fication" of the show also comes to pass.

"Toning down" can mean many things though. I highly, highly doubt (and I've seen rumors about this as well) that they are going to cut out things that make Torchwood post-watershed. Cut down on swearing, yeah I can see that. Less blood/gore: yeah again I can see that. But cutting down on sex, innuendos, mature content in that sense would mean removing Jack completely. Without Jack it's not Torchwood IMHO.

As for the five episode concept, I think it's an interesting concept and one I'm completely in favor of. I'm a Torchwood fan but I feel that after the S2 finale trying to put in new cast and doing 13 stories would result in S3 being a pale comparison of S1 and S2. Maybe this "5 episodes in a week" idea will start a new revolution.

Or it will crash and burn. Who knows.

Either way I'm happy to see a season 3 (provided it does happen) regardless.

"You would make a good Dalek."

Wednesday, June 04 2008 @ 02:36 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  torchkat]
    [Quote  by:  Will-I-Am]It can only get worse if the "family-fication" of the show also comes to pass.

"Toning down" can mean many things though. I highly, highly doubt (and I've seen rumors about this as well) that they are going to cut out things that make Torchwood post-watershed. Cut down on swearing, yeah I can see that. Less blood/gore: yeah again I can see that. But cutting down on sex, innuendos, mature content in that sense would mean removing Jack completely. Without Jack it's not Torchwood IMHO.

As for the five episode concept, I think it's an interesting concept and one I'm completely in favor of. I'm a Torchwood fan but I feel that after the S2 finale trying to put in new cast and doing 13 stories would result in S3 being a pale comparison of S1 and S2. Maybe this "5 episodes in a week" idea will start a new revolution.

Or it will crash and burn. Who knows.

Either way I'm happy to see a season 3 (provided it does happen) regardless.

True enough, to a degree - there is no Torchwood without Jack. At one point, though, there was talk that Barrowman might not be coming back, and that Gwen would be leading the team in S3. We now know that won't be the case, though, since Jack is confirmed and John is signed.

Toning down gore and profanity is one thing - they more or less seemed to have done that in S2 anyway to an extent, as it seemed much lighter in both aspects than S1 was. Even the sex overall, too. But the aesthetic that made the series feel more mature, more sophisticated and aimed at an older crowd was still there. It didn't falter.

You can't convince me they can fully maintain that feeling if the show is truly lessened (on its own merits) to that of the 100% kid-friendly level the way Who is produced. Not that there's anything wrong with that aspect of Who - never has been in all the years it has existed since '63. But Torchwood is different. And different, as proven with it's first two seasons, is good. RTD feels more at home and in his element with the themes in Torchwood, and it shows in bold strokes within how he (and the other writers) handle those characters in the writing. It's a better fit for his style, overall.

And c'mon - potentially interesting experiment or not - 5 episodes in one week just sucks. It does. It's like they're not even willing to give us a full run of anything underneath the Who-umbrella franchise next year. I was holding out hope for a positively KILLER Series 3 for Torchwood in the Who downtime of '09, even with Mickey and Martha possibly coming on board with Owen and Tosh gone. But no.

Sorry - the Beeb are fools, IMO. If they're going to consecutively move the series from BBC3 in the beginning, to BBC2 this year, and then to BBC1 for next year, the least they can do is give us 13 full weeks to celebrate its success in year 3 - not less than a week for what will likely equal one 5-part story. Next we'll find out the 5 parts equal 22 minutes each, amounting to another groan from me (and not the TARDIS goody kind, either).

Human Biological Metacrisis = Bite Me, RTD.
      Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, June 09 2008 @ 12:45 AM EDT
    This pessimist's translation: "Well, Torchwood has been a great success these last couple of seasons, so let's see how we can completely @#%$ it up."

Confused

I really don't think it's going to be 5 episodes in one week, just the whole 5 episodes comprising one big story. Either way, these rumors of an overhaul of the show worry me greatly.

Profile    PM    Email   

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed
    Words are censored