The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 305 - Interviews with Peter Howell and Ron Katz
  • Five Years of The Cultdom Collective Podcast!
  • The Official BBC Teaser Promo Video for the New 2014 Series [VIDEO]
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: The Claws of Axos? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 304 - 'The Claws of Axos' is Reviewed
  • New Doctor Who Series Launch Confirmed for August and Teaser Promo Video
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: The Invasion of Time? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 303 - 'The Invasion of Time' is Reviewed
  • Dozens of Doctor Who guests converge on Long Island this November!
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 302 - Terry Walsh Interviewed

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    12" Cyberman
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  Sarah Jane Adventures - Series 2 »  SJA Ep. 2.2 The Last Sontaran (Part Two) [SPO..
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    SJA Ep. 2.2 The Last Sontaran (Part Two) [SPOILERS] Views: 1183
     Monday, September 29 2008 @ 10:13 PM EDT

A very nice conclusion. Maria's mum gets to save the day. Too bad for her shoes, though.

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Tuesday, September 30 2008 @ 03:59 PM EDT

I did not particularly like the Sontaran's helmet effect in this story. It just didn't go with the way they were protrayed in Doctor Who.

I liked Maria's family and she will be sorely missed. It is nice that mum go to save the planet with a heel. I just wish the writers would do more research into how things like satellite orbits and communications actually work. I don't mind a few minor deviations in terms of story, but there were just too many little things wrong. Most people won't be able to pick up on those, though, so I didn't let it derail my enjoyment of the story.

Wednesday, October 01 2008 @ 12:52 AM EDT

Like Taras, I too did not care for the helmet effect in this story. It was just a gimmick so that they could remove the helmet without the character having to carry it around with him. The effect itself seems a bit old now too. It was new and exciting as how the batmobile deployed it's protective shield around itself almost 20 years ago (wow, I am feeling old now), but today it is not as exciting and seems gimmicky.

That said, it was not something that really adversely affected the story. Once again these two episodes had a feel of the Doctor Who of years past.

Also Maria's mum reminded me very much of Donna in this story. I could see Donna defeating the Sontaran the same way as she did here.

I'm looking forward to see how the rest of series 2 pans out of The Sarah Jane Adventures going from here.

Cheers,
    Louis

☛ Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LouisTrapani ♥ ♥

Wednesday, October 01 2008 @ 06:44 AM EDT
    Well according to 'The Poison Sky' confidential episode, Catherine Tate said that Donna was originally going to hit the Sontaran with her shoe instead of the mallet... but because she refused to wear anything but trainers, they went for the mallet option.

I found it assuming the way Maria'a mum defeated the Sontaran considering she really really annoyed me back in series 1. I still don't really like her that much, but she was okay in this story.

And a ditto on the helmet... surely it would of just been cheaper to just put on his helmet the old fashioned way. Wasted CGI shot there...

Overall I really enjoyed it, and I simply can't get over how great Elizabeth Sladen looks for her age, she's gorgeous.
    I sure hope I'll still look that good when I'm her age.

And Thomas Knight was great too, he's really growing on me... Big Grin

bye bye david :(

Wednesday, October 01 2008 @ 07:42 PM EDT
    I watched both of them tonight. I found the whole thing to be totally entertaining.

In Doctor Who, in many ways I found it difficult to take the series 4 Sontarans seriously, but it worked well here. Although I've never played the game, I read loads of Warhammer fiction, and it almost makes the Sontarans (as a supposed race bred only for War) laughable in comparison.

I'm delighted SJA's Adventures are back.

I'm liking Maria's mum a lot Twisted Evil

Yes, back of the neck indeed!

Nothing dies of old age on Skaro!
      Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, October 01 2008 @ 09:45 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  romana_II] Well according to 'The Poison Sky' confidential episode, Catherine Tate said that Donna was originally going to hit the Sontaran with her shoe instead of the mallet... but because she refused to wear anything but trainers, they went for the mallet option.

I found it assuming the way Maria'a mum defeated the Sontaran considering she really really annoyed me back in series 1. I still don't really like her that much, but she was okay in this story.

Ah yes, now I remember that from Doctor Who: Confidential. She still reminded me of Donna in this episode even outside of the shoe heel incident.

[Quote  by:  romana_II]
    And Thomas Knight was great too, he's really growing on me... Big Grin

He's growing on everyone. He is simply growing. He's pretty much the same height as Liz Sladen now. It will be interesting if he continues to grow taller. Not that there's anything wrong with it, it's just interesting.

But even outside of his physical height, he seemed a little more comfortable in his part this time around. A little more natural and confident.

Cheers,
    Louis

☛ Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LouisTrapani ♥ ♥

Friday, October 10 2008 @ 12:06 AM EDT
    I totally lost track of time and forgot the show started. I acquired all three aired eps yesterday and the wife and I watched Last Sontaran tonight (instead of the US premiere of Life on Mars...I'll DL that and watch it commercial free on my own).

This show is why I love SJA so much more than Torchwood. It's just fun. I'll really miss Maria and Alan. I don't like him as much as I loved Jackie, but I still liked him. Maria's mom I won't miss, even if she did save the day. I'm glad Clyde will be still be around. I like him so much more than the girl sidekick from Invasion of the Bane.

I had read that Maria was leaving, and so I thought maybe they were planning on having Lucy take her place, but it looks like it's this new Rani girl. I'll wait until I get both parts of the next story and watch them together.

I'm going "Full Circle" and putting my avatar back to what it was when I first joined. :)
      Profile    PM    Email   

Friday, October 10 2008 @ 07:03 AM EDT
    I sort of liked it but was a little too distracted by how ineffectual the Sontaran was.
    a) why have an invisibility cloak if you're gonna turn it off everytime you want to trap somebody.
    b) He was a super CRAP shot with a gun.
    c) A sontaran can't push a door open against three (and sometimes even just one) children. Come on! Aren't these guys supposed to be super strong in our gravitational conditions
    d) CRAP lock for a starship if all you have to do is place your hand on the hand imprint.
    the only moment of strength he showed, ironically, was at the moment he should have died with a shoe heel in his vent. Why didn't that kill him. And would a sontaran warrior just ride off into the sunset shaking his fist?
    So either the Sontarans are super rubbish or this particular warrior was super rubbish and they'd shot him off by himself in order to get rid of him.

Profile    PM    Email   

Friday, October 10 2008 @ 12:01 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Idiom]
    So either the Sontarans are super rubbish or this particular warrior was super rubbish and they'd shot him off by himself in order to get rid of him.

I would chalk it up to the fact that it's a kids' show. In DW or TW, I would probably gripe about it, too.

Did you say "74,384,338 to 1 against"? That's my lucky number!
      Profile    PM    Email   

Friday, October 10 2008 @ 02:56 PM EDT

Hmmm, an injured Sontaran, possibly having to ration his energy intake due to being cut off from his mothership, of couse he won't be up to full military capability. Add to that being bent on avenging the defeat at the hands of the Doctor, we then have a single-mindedness that tends to cloud judgement. I see no problem here story-wise.

Thursday, October 23 2008 @ 05:43 PM EDT
    I'm still trying to catch up on the episodes that have aired so far, and I enjoyed this first two-parter. I think it's a solid start to the season.

I'm surprised that the actress playing Maria is already gone, although at least that means the mom is also gone; and I thought we could've get a character more annoying than Jackie was in the first season of New Who. Laughing Out Loud

Profile    PM    Email   

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed
    Words are censored