The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 305 - Interviews with Peter Howell and Ron Katz
  • Five Years of The Cultdom Collective Podcast!
  • The Official BBC Teaser Promo Video for the New 2014 Series [VIDEO]
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: The Claws of Axos? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 304 - 'The Claws of Axos' is Reviewed
  • New Doctor Who Series Launch Confirmed for August and Teaser Promo Video
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: The Invasion of Time? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 303 - 'The Invasion of Time' is Reviewed
  • Dozens of Doctor Who guests converge on Long Island this November!
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 302 - Terry Walsh Interviewed

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Happy Easter!
    Happy Easter!
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  Sarah Jane Adventures - Series 2 »  SJA Ep. 2.5 Secrets of the Stars (Part One) [..
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    SJA Ep. 2.5 Secrets of the Stars (Part One) [SPOILERS] Views: 1192
     Monday, October 20 2008 @ 11:21 PM EDT

An interesting an fun tale using astrology as the plot device. There is also a reference to an ancient power, sort of like The Impossible Planet/The Satan Pit. I wonder if there is any relation.

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Tuesday, October 21 2008 @ 05:45 AM EDT
    Very enjoyable... and yays Doctor flashback fun time.

I must admit, when they were talking about another universe, I was half expecting them to go down the whole Anti Matter universe stick. ^^

bye bye david :(

Wednesday, October 22 2008 @ 01:37 PM EDT
    To me, this is by the best part 1 of either series so far. nudging out The Lost Boy part 1 and barely edging Eye of the Gorgon part 1. It's a pleasingly odd mixture of absolutely bog-standard Doctor Who elements arranged in a way that leaves a lot of unanswered questions. I like how this season seems to be trying to better define its characters emotionally. "Clown"'s emphasis was on SJS' past fears as a child, whereas "Stars" plays up the fact that there is an emotional consequence to Luke having not been born. This series is right to briefly stop and consider the emotional problems of the Smiths as a family unit. Last season, the SJS/Luke relationship was obscured by the SJS/Maria relationship. Rani as more of a pure professional protege more clearly divides the narrative time. Rani brings out the reporter; Luke, the mother. As a result, SJS feels more multilayered this season overall. And with Luke more firmly anchored to SJS for emotional discovery, his time with Clyde can be more firmly that of two buddies, rather than "cool guy giving advice to loser". Sure, there's still some of that left, but it's delivered with greater nuance than just "this is how we humans do it, spaceboy". The greater attention this year to more clearly demarcating a little relationship between everyone makes a scene involving all of the main cast more lively—such as the when they were all in the theatre audience.

I think the guy playing the heavy has sunk his teeth a little much into his part. He did seem a bit over the top. That said, the mystery surrounding him and where his powers are coming from is far more interesting than his overacting is distracting. So kudos to Gareth Roberts for giving us in Martin Trueman a villain who is largely "actor-proof".

Best detail: Loved the shout out to Draconia; good to see that not all references to Doctor Who have to be something that have to do with Sarah's personal history or BBC Wales additions to the Whoniverse.

Worst detail: I don't get SJS' continuing disdain for being called "Sarah". The Fourth Doctor and Harry did it all the damn time. Why's she suddenly so touchy when Rani's mom does it? If the idea is to create a running gag that "the mom across the street never gets Sarah's name right", I think they're going in the wrong direction by trying to achieve it this way. It would've been far funnier to have her blatantly screwing up her middle name. I'm not saying Rani's mom should have done it for the same reasons (i.e., that she was too disinterested in Sarah to figure out her name), but if the end result had been ANOTHER mom across the road who can't get the name right, that would have been funny. As it is, "Sarah" isn't getting her name wrong, in my view, and it makes no sense that SJS should be angry with that.

Missed opportunity for a fun tie-in: it's sorta hard to complain about this story failing to integrate itself into the wider SJS narrative on Doctor Who. I mean, after all, this episode probably spoke more strongly about her relationship with the Doctor than any other. And it was the first time Tennant appeared on SJS, even if in flashback. But I found it odd that Gareth Freakin' Roberts, champion of the Fourth Doctor, didn't slip in a little reference to SJS' prior brush with astrology. 'Course, The Masque of Mandragora is my favorite serial of all time, so I'm slightly biased. What's more odd is that with all the talk of the horrors of the barriers between universes breaking down in the Series 4 finale, Luke, Sarah and Mr. Smith didn't get alarmed at the implications of the antagonist's power possibly coming from an entirely different universe. So, it's bad if the Daleks do it, but not if some hack astrologer from Acton does? While the lack of reference to Masque is certainly understandable, failing to reference Journey's End left me scratching my head.

"I think of myself as ambitious in casting terms, and I know that Bonnie [Langford] has the potential to make the part totally unirritating . . ." — JNT, 1986

Wednesday, October 22 2008 @ 04:21 PM EDT

The Masque of Mandragora was the subject of a Big Finish audio in the Sarah Jane Smith line. They may have wanted to avoid a direct link. It is also possible that Mr. Smith is not aware of this event in particular, just the general uses of astrology throughout the galaxy.

Some interesting points there, Darth...

Wednesday, October 22 2008 @ 08:43 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  DarthSkeptical]

I think the guy playing the heavy has sunk his teeth a little much into his part. He did seem a bit over the top.

Quite enjoyed the story - looking forward to part 2.

The actor is Russ Abbot who is know in the UK as a comic rather than an actor.

Cheers, daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali

Wednesday, October 22 2008 @ 09:42 PM EDT

Dave,

Did you watch the episode with the logo in the corner??? Wink

Taras

Wednesday, October 22 2008 @ 11:23 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  daveac]

This role was obviously very different from his comic roles, here he was very creepy.

It's going to be interesting to see how this all pans out from here in part 2.

Being that this is episode 5, it is hard to believe we are already half-way through series 2 of the SJA.

Cheers,
    Louis

☛ Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LouisTrapani ♥ ♥

Thursday, October 23 2008 @ 12:04 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Louis]

This role was obviously very different from his comic roles, here he was very creepy.

It's going to be interesting to see how this all pans out from here in part 2.

Being that this is episode 5, it is hard to believe we are already half-way through series 2 of the SJA.

Cheers,
    Louis

There are 12 episodes this year, Louis!

Taras

Thursday, October 23 2008 @ 12:53 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  tarashnat]
    Dave,

Taras

Yes watched the CBBC version - it even had an extra logo right at the last scene - a 'what's on next' dropdown item.

I try to record the BBC version.

You must have seen mine and Tiggs posts on the BBC HD blog (comments 1 & 14):-

here

Cheers, daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali

Thursday, October 23 2008 @ 02:05 PM EDT
    I thought this was really good - and I thought Russ Abbott was very sinister. I thought he did it very well. I liked him a lot.

Obviously it remains to be seen how it will conclude, but this was an excellent start.

Nothing dies of old age on Skaro!
      Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, October 23 2008 @ 07:07 PM EDT

Taras

That's some good news for a change with everything else being abbreviated, it is good to see that the SJA is actually being expanded in length.

Cheers,
    Louis

Thursday, October 23 2008 @ 10:00 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Louis]

Taras

That's some good news for a change with everything else being abbreviated, it is good to see that the SJA is actually being expanded in length.

Cheers,
    Louis

It's the same 6 hours of production as series one if you count The Invasion of the Bane.

Friday, October 24 2008 @ 12:32 AM EDT

It's the same 6 hours of production as series one if you count The Invasion of the Bane.

Ahh... Yes, you are right. I forgot about that.

Cheers,
    Louis

Wednesday, November 05 2008 @ 03:58 PM EST
    Dave,

Taras

Yes watched the CBBC version - it even had an extra logo right at the last scene - a 'what's on next' dropdown item.

I try to record the BBC version.

You must have seen mine and Tiggs posts on the BBC HD blog (comments 1 & 14):-

here

Cheers, daveac

I'll have to go and read those posts. My wife and and I were watching the ep and the drop down logo thing came down right in front of SJ's face and it took me right out of the story. At least the US way of putting crap at the bottom of the screen is "mostly" unobtrusive.

I'm going "Full Circle" and putting my avatar back to what it was when I first joined. :)
      Profile    PM    Email   

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed
    Words are censored