The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Listen? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Listen' Scheduled for Sunday, Sept 14th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 309 - 'Robot of Sherwood' Reviewed
  • Patrick Troughton as Robin Hood Seen in 'Robot of Sherwood'
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Robot of Sherwood? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Robot of Sherwood' Scheduled for Sunday, Sept 7th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 308 - 'Into The Dalek' Reviewed
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Into the Dalek? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 307 - 'Deep Breath' Reviewed
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Deep Breath? (5=Fantastic)

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  

"The" magazine October 2006 Issue
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  The William Hartnell Era »  Which William Hartnell story is the best?
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    Which William Hartnell story is the best? Views: 2818
     Friday, February 10 2006 @ 02:36 PM EST
    As William Hartnell is my favourite doctor, I thought I would set up quiz; at the end of the week, I plan to check all the answers and find a current favourite, my vote is: The Daleks.
    Here are all the stories(in order)
    An Unearthly Child
    The Daleks
    The Edge Of Destruction
    Marco Polo
    The Keys Of Marinus
    The Aztecs
    The Sensorites
    The Reign Of Terror
    Planet Of Giants
    The Dalek Invasion Of Earth
    The Rescue
    The Romans
    The Crusade
    The Space Museum
    The Chase
    The Time Meddler
    Galaxy 4(finally, the 'the...'s have stopped)
    Mission To The Unknown
    The Myth Makers
    The Daleks' Master Plan
    The Massacre
    The Ark
    The Celestial Toymaker
    The Gunfighters
    The Savages
    The War Machines
    The Smugglers
    The 10th Planet(Far too many'the...'s!)
    (Some Of These You may not have seen, as some are missing from the BBC)
    Please let me know if I have missed any.

I am the Master, and you will obey me. You will obey me.
      Profile    PM    Email   

Friday, February 10 2006 @ 03:03 PM EST

I'm waiting to hear the missing episodes (actually the whole story) of The Reign Of Terror before I make a decision. I've seen the surviving episodes on video, but want to experience the whole story first. When my favorite importer in the States gets it in, I'll place the order.

Taras

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Friday, February 10 2006 @ 04:04 PM EST
    When people who have not seen Hartnell ask which one they should see first, I usually recommend The Rescue. Not only because its only a two-parter and thus pretty compact (quite fast passed by Hartnell era standards) but I just feel he comes across so well in it, not old or cranky but rather more majestic and grand (especially the final scene).
    The Time Meddler is my personal fave, but actually Im in the middle of Keys of Marinus rerun right now and am really quite enjoying it. Funny enough Im just about to start episode 4 (the Snows of Terror), quite appropriate considering New York Citys weekend weather forecast.

Friday, February 10 2006 @ 10:07 PM EST
    I really liked The Dalek Master Plan because it was a long story but didn't feel like it. It kept moving (literally) around from one focus to another with quite a few good momments which I will not describe for spoiler sake.

That Is Not Dead Which Can Eternal Lie, And With Strange Aeons Even Death May Die.

Saturday, February 11 2006 @ 06:45 AM EST
    One thing it's best to try and watch these stories in order, as each episode begins just before the previous ended,
    Adam

Profile    PM    Email   

Saturday, March 11 2006 @ 05:55 PM EST
    Well, if you consider "Unearthly" as separate from "Tribe of Gum", then "An Unearthly Child" just can't be touched. But if you have to lump episodes 2-4 in with episode 1, the whole block's rating goes way down.

If you're gonna talk about all of them, regardless as to whether they exist as videos, I suppose I'd go with "Marco Polo".

If you're talking about the best of the surviving stories, I think it's "The Romans", with "The Daleks" very close behind.

"I think of myself as ambitious in casting terms, and I know that Bonnie [Langford] has the potential to make the part totally unirritating . . ." JNT, 1986

Saturday, March 11 2006 @ 10:28 PM EST
    I'm sorry but I just don't like Hartnell. "The Keys of Marinus" is about the only one I can tolerate because I like puzzles. I'd probably enjoy "The Celestial Toymaker" too if it were intact. The episode on the Lost in Time collection is very good. I'd like to see "The Tenth Planet." To me "The Gunfighters" is probably one of the worst EVER Doctor Who stories and "The Space Museum" is a close runner-up.

I'll admit that I've never really listened to the audio tapes that are out there. Maybe I'd have a different opinion.

Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, March 12 2006 @ 02:02 AM EST

I've just recently enjoyed watching The Time Meddler, The Rescue and The Romans.

Taras

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!

Sunday, March 12 2006 @ 09:23 AM EST
    I have a new current favourite: The Aztecs, the fact that The Doctor accidently gets engaged is good.

Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, March 12 2006 @ 09:25 AM EST
    Remember The Tenth Planet is available inthe Cybermen boxset with all the surviving episodes and the last episode using the whole soundtrack and surviving stills.

Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, March 12 2006 @ 09:27 AM EST
    [Quote  by:  JeffL] I'm sorry but I just don't like Hartnell. "The Keys of Marinus" is about the only one I can tolerate because I like puzzles. I'd probably enjoy "The Celestial Toymaker" too if it were intact. The episode on the <i>Lost in Time</i> collection is very good. I'd like to see "The Tenth Planet." To me "The Gunfighters" is probably one of the worst EVER Doctor Who stories and "The Space Museum" is a close runner-up.

The Gunfighters is nearly always thought to be the worst Hartnell story although in terms of viewing the worst is The Smugglers(it might be The Savages)

[Quote  by:  JeffL]
    I'll admit that I've never really listened to the audio tapes that are out there. Maybe I'd have a different opinion.

Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, March 12 2006 @ 09:47 AM EST
    Well maybe you guys are convincing me to revisit Hartnell. I really haven't watched many of his stories in over fifteen years. I watched them all as they aired on my local PBS station at the time but I could never get into them. Perhaps...being older and allegedly wiser...I might have a change of heart.

Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, April 18 2006 @ 04:09 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  DarthSkeptical] Well, if you consider "Unearthly" as separate from "Tribe of Gum", then "An Unearthly Child" just can't be touched. But if you have to lump episodes 2-4 in with episode 1, the whole block's rating goes way down.

If you're gonna talk about all of them, regardless as to whether they exist as videos, I suppose I'd go with "Marco Polo".

If you're talking about the best of the surviving stories, I think it's "The Romans", with "The Daleks" very close behind.
    I have to agree 'Marco Polo' is excellent.

Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, June 19 2006 @ 11:14 AM EDT
    Honestly, there's really a lot to like about the Hartnell era. I keep revisiting this thread, even though it's not changing a great deal, just to see if anything's new here. Since it's not, I guess I'll throw in a couple more that I like. While they're stories usually passed over, I actually really enjoy "The Sensorites" and "The Space Museum". I'll even go out on a limb and say that, aside from Part 1 of "An Unearthly Child", maybe the best single episode of the Hartnell era is Part 1 of "The Space Museum".

"I think of myself as ambitious in casting terms, and I know that Bonnie [Langford] has the potential to make the part totally unirritating . . ." JNT, 1986

Saturday, September 16 2006 @ 10:30 PM EDT
    I taped most of the Hartnell episodes on my local PBS station back in the late '80's. Unfortunately, those tapes have really decayed over the years and are practically unwatchable.

But as I've been buying the Hartnell DVD's and rewatching them my opinion is changing a little. I think I prefer 2nd and 3rd season Hartnell to Season #1. I really don't like Tribes of Gum or the original The Daleks stories. They seem to take an eternity to get through. Same with The Aztecs. But The Daleks Invasion of Earth is quite good. I haven't picked up my copy of The Web Planet yet. I have a 20% off coupon I can use at Borders next week. I'll probably buy it then.

Profile    PM    Email   

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed
    Words are censored