The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing the 2014 Series Scheduled for Sunday, Nov 30
  • Peter Capaldi Being Interviewed by Craig Ferguson in 2009 [VIDEO]
  • Doctor Who Christmas Special 2014 Preview from BBC Children in Need
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 318 - 'Death in Heaven' Reviewed
  • Doctor Who Christmas Special 2014 Promo "Trailer" Video
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Death in Heaven? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Death in Heaven' Scheduled for Sunday, Nov 09
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 317 - 'Dark Water' Reviewed
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Dark Water? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Dark Water' Scheduled for Sunday, Nov 02

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    daveac at a Hyde Fundraisers Charity event in UK 22nd Nov '08
    daveac at a Hyde Fundraisers Charity event in UK 22nd Nov '08
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  The William Hartnell Era »  Which William Hartnell story is the best?
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    Which William Hartnell story is the best? Views: 2895
     Saturday, September 16 2006 @ 11:32 PM EDT
    My favorite Hartnell episode is The Dalek Invasion of Earth.

"Elemental, my dear Benton." The Doctor to Sgt. Benton (The Daemons)
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Sunday, September 17 2006 @ 07:30 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  JeffL] I taped most of the Hartnell episodes on my local PBS station back in the late '80's. Unfortunately, those tapes have really decayed over the years and are practically unwatchable.

But as I've been buying the Hartnell DVD's and rewatching them my opinion is changing a little. I think I prefer 2nd and 3rd season Hartnell to Season #1. I really don't like Tribes of Gum or the original The Daleks stories. They seem to take an eternity to get through. Same with The Aztecs. But The Daleks Invasion of Earth is quite good. I haven't picked up my copy of The Web Planet yet. I have a 20% off coupon I can use at Borders next week. I'll probably buy it then.
    Honestly, if you didn't like "The Daleks" or "The Aztecs" you will be kicking yourself for using your coupon to buy "The Web Planet". It gives a whole new definition to the word "eternity". I love the Hartnell era, but that episode is.....well, let's be charitable and call it "experimental".

That said, the DVD extras are quite good, and I think, for my money, it's the best Hartnell-era commentary so far.

"I think of myself as ambitious in casting terms, and I know that Bonnie [Langford] has the potential to make the part totally unirritating . . ." JNT, 1986

Friday, October 20 2006 @ 11:11 PM EDT
    i remember watching the web planet when i was about 7 and thought it ruled...havn't seen it since mind you!

i'm about to rediscover hartnell, as i have quite a few episodes on vhs which i havnt seen for at least 15 years including the aztecs, the rescue, edge of destruction, the romans, the time meddler, the sensorites...

at the moment the 3 most memorable ones for me are:

1. the tenth planet.
    maybe it was because when growing up as a kid it was my number 1 most wanted in terms of dr who stories. this was to do with it being the first ever cyberman appearance, the first regeneration, but mainly because when i saw a clip of it on the "cyberman: the early years" vhs, i remember how weird i thought the cybermen looked! i had already seen tomb, revenge, silver nemesis but these cybermen stuck out because they looked and sounded so bloody mental. i actually think they are the scariest they have ever been in this episode, maybe minus tomb...was overjoyed when i found out that a vhs copy had become commercially available a few years ago.

2. the war machines.
    is this the first example of a sinistar-corrupt-government-style-plot-behind-the-back-of-joe-public on earth storyline in dr who? if so, then why is this such a forgotten gem? computers as villians, secret offices where people are brainwashed and secret warehouses where the brainwashed work in order to create these "war machines"...a more sinistar theme where you felt that you didnt have to travel in time or space to be in danger, you could just stay at home as your own planet is even more messed up than you could imagine! no aliens, just your own technology. you could even say that most of what we saw in pertwee's first two seasons, and what we are seeing now came from seeds that were sewn in the war machines! that is unless ive got a distorted memory of this episode and am going a bit over the top (it was about a year ago when i last saw it). nonetheless, a really underrated episode i think, and i love how after a lot of historical style stories and alien surroundings you get an episode that is very much set in the environment and time in which it was written. if i only i could say the same of the new series! well, maybe i'll retract that comment 40 years time...it also introduced ben, who despite being a bit "cor blimey", i did like a lot.

3. dalek invasion of earth.
    in my opinion the best early dalek story. anyone who says otherwise and criticises it for it's length has a screw loose quite frankly, and it is a good example as to how 6 parters can work if you have a decent story and someone who knows how to write it! love the characters, and i always get well stuck into this story...the shots of the daleks in deserted central london are also CLASSIC and ESSENTIAL in not only dr who history, but popular british culture in the 20th century. and the doctors speech to susan at the end is hartnell at his very best...a very poignant ending for many reasons.

so yeah, in my opinion you cant go wrong with those three. stay away from the gunfighters though, as its bloody awful and i remember really enjoying the first episode of an unearthly child but when the other episodes kicked in i got bored and was too much like "yeah ok, ive seen the building blocks...", but im willing to be proved wrong on that one someday i hope!

Profile    PM    Email   

Saturday, October 21 2006 @ 11:49 AM EDT
    Difficult!

From memory my favourite four:-

An Unearthly Child
    Planet Of Giants
    The Time Meddler
    The Celestial Toymaker

Cheers, daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali

Monday, October 30 2006 @ 09:17 AM EST
    Ooooh, "Giants". Didja catch on "The Beginning" collection the tidbits about that one? I never knew that it was originally planned for much earlier in Season 1 and that it had such direct involvement from Sydney Newman. It's a pretty average story, but it's weird to think of it as potentially one of the lead-off stories instead of sorta buried post-"Daleks".

I don't know what the relevancy of any of that rambling is, but, hey, it's 4am.

"I think of myself as ambitious in casting terms, and I know that Bonnie [Langford] has the potential to make the part totally unirritating . . ." JNT, 1986

Monday, October 30 2006 @ 12:48 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  DarthSkeptical] Ooooh, "Giants". Didja catch on "The Beginning" collection the tidbits about that one? I never knew that it was originally planned for much earlier in Season 1 and that it had such direct involvement from Sydney Newman. It's a pretty average story, but it's weird to think of it as potentially one of the lead-off stories instead of sorta buried post-"Daleks".

I don't know what the relevancy of any of that rambling is, but, hey, it's 4am.

No - I haven't got 'The Beginning' box set - this is from what's left of my memory from the first time around - back in the day Rolling Eyes

Cheers, daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali

Thursday, January 01 2009 @ 09:06 PM EST
    The first two Dalek stories are pretty untouchable and really show what Doctor Who is all about.
    After seeing all the first doctor stories and hearing the missing ones, I went back to view Unearthly Child into the rest of the Tribe of Gum story and found it very interesting on a second viewing. Mainly because I became so familiar with companions Susan, Ian, and Barbra - to go back and see them on their forst adventure and how they took to it was so interesting

My fav has to be the Tenth Planet. --Billy

Oh the phantom Piper!
      Profile    PM    Email   

Saturday, January 03 2009 @ 02:46 PM EST
    I would have to say the entire thing is one long story but if I had to choose: THE MASSACRE! It's just the way a historical should be all the way through to...the Dodo entrance scene (which is really piss poor).

Other than that: THE AZTECS, THE TIME MEDDLER, and so many others!

Profile    PM    Email   

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed
    Words are censored