The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 305 - Interviews with Peter Howell and Ron Katz
  • Five Years of The Cultdom Collective Podcast!
  • The Official BBC Teaser Promo Video for the New 2014 Series [VIDEO]
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: The Claws of Axos? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 304 - 'The Claws of Axos' is Reviewed
  • New Doctor Who Series Launch Confirmed for August and Teaser Promo Video
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: The Invasion of Time? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 303 - 'The Invasion of Time' is Reviewed
  • Dozens of Doctor Who guests converge on Long Island this November!
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 302 - Terry Walsh Interviewed

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Pen and Pencil Dalek
    Pen and Pencil Dalek
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  The William Hartnell Era »  "The Beginning" set is out!
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    "The Beginning" set is out! Views: 3090
     Saturday, April 01 2006 @ 05:57 PM EST
    Friday was a joyous day, thanks to the arrival of Doctor Who "The Beginning" DVD set I ordered through Amazon.com via The Gallifreyan Embassy.

I can't tell you how tickled I am to see Doctor Who getting it's name out there. It was only last week when I was in Portsmith with my girlfiend, that I spotted this boxset under 'new releases' at Best Buy!

At any rate, I'm thrilled to have a piece of history-- to see where it all began. To explore more of the William Hartnell era! With the summer cold I have inherited this just in time for the weekend- I'll have the time to watch them all.

Just had to share a positive! Wink

Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Saturday, April 01 2006 @ 08:15 PM EST

My set arrived the Thursday before the release date. I was pleasantly surprised. I've looked at most of the extras, and will start viewing when I'm ready to embark on a Who marathon, as I now have every story of the classic series (audio for the missing episodes).

Taras

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!

Saturday, April 01 2006 @ 08:35 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  tarashnat]
    My set arrived the Thursday before the release date. I was pleasantly surprised. I've looked at most of the extras, and will start viewing when I'm ready to embark on a Who marathon, as I now have every story of the classic series (audio for the missing episodes).

Taras

I got the set as well. I can't wait to start exploring it...

As for a "Who marathon" -- one of the most enjoyable things I did was a huge Doctor Who marathon of every available episode/story made for television. Now, I did this about hmm... about 13 to 15 years ago (early to mid-90's... can't remember exactly when I started it). I watched at least one episode a day starting with The Unearthly Child and ending with Survival (this was prior to the TVM). It took me a couple years... but it was truly enjoyable to watch the entire series from beginning to end in order and see the natural progression of it all.

I would love to do it again sometime. Especially since there are all these audios of lost episodes available today.

Cheers,
    Louis

☛ Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LouisTrapani ♥ ♥

Saturday, April 01 2006 @ 09:13 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  Louis] I got the set as well. I can't wait to start exploring it...

As for a "Who marathon" -- one of the most enjoyable things I did was a huge Doctor Who marathon of every available episode/story made for television. Now, I did this about hmm... about 13 to 15 years ago (early to mid-90's... can't remember exactly when I started it). I watched at least one episode a day starting with The Unearthly Child and ending with Survival (this was prior to the TVM). It took me a couple years... but it was truly enjoyable to watch the entire series from beginning to end in order and see the natural progression of it all.

Since the new series began last year, I've "acquired" almost all available eps from Hartnell to McGann and I've watched them all, finishing up just a few weeks ago. I didn't do the reconstructions, but I've listened to some of the recon audios.

I must admit it got to be a little heavy slogging through Docs 6 and 7, but I've really enjoyed Colin and Sylv on the BF audios and think Colin especially has redeemed his portrayal, overcoming what I think were some pretty bad scripts. I'm just finishing up getting the rest of the Pertwees and extant Hartnells (non-recon) - I only have a few to go.

Now it's on to the books! I've already eBayed myself to near poverty on action figures and books! Someone's got an auction up of 155 Target novelizations!

Pat

"Don't play as if you've swallowed the metronome!" -- Nadia Boulanger

Saturday, April 01 2006 @ 09:20 PM EST

I don't want to discuss Ebay and the novels... Oops!

Taras

Saturday, April 01 2006 @ 09:28 PM EST
    Sorry. Frown

Pat

"Don't play as if you've swallowed the metronome!" -- Nadia Boulanger

Saturday, April 01 2006 @ 09:37 PM EST

That shouldn't disuade you from discussing it...

Taras

Sunday, April 02 2006 @ 08:20 AM EDT
    Hope you like its an excellant set. By the way do not watch the feature Over the edge, unless you have seen the 2005 series first. there are some spoilers for Boom town and Parting of the waves.

Dr Who is back baby Yeah !!!
      Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, April 03 2006 @ 08:12 PM EDT
    spoilers? Oh well!

I'm frustrated with my lack of veiwing options for the good Doctor. When I saw the short clips of the 2005 season on the "The Beginning" box set, it made me want to see the new stuff even more! Smile
    So, I've decided. It's final. I'm spending the $$$ next paycheck and getting the 2005 DVD set sent from Canada! Eek! I want my Doctor Who 2005 series, and I want it now!! Twisted Evil To heck with the Sci-Fi channel! Wink

**deep breath** That's just me. Smile I want to pretend like I'm watching it on PBS with no interruptions. Mr. Green

Tuesday, April 04 2006 @ 12:01 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Tempis Fugid] I want to pretend like I'm watching it on PBS with no interruptions. Mr. Green

Can we get Louis and Ken to record a simulated pledge break that you can watch before every 4th episode to give you that full public broadcasting experience? Twisted Evil

Taras

Tuesday, April 04 2006 @ 02:01 PM EDT
    Well, my “In the Beginning” set arrived yesterday from amazon and I gave Unearthly Child/Cave of Skulls/Forest of Fear/Firemaker a spin in the player and I’ve got to say I really enjoyed episodes 2 to 4 much more than what I remembered. I remember finding 2-4 a bit dull, but now I have to say the direction is well paced; well acted (as much as you can with people playing cave men); well characterized; and the performance of Hartnell is really amazing (he didn’t trip up his lines ONCE!).

Some classic lines in it too, “The old woman does not say she does this… the old woman does not say she does that…. The old woman is dead!,” Talk about a melodramatic caveman! He certainly was the Shakespeare of his time! Play to the crowd Kal, play to the crowd! Big Grin

Tuesday, April 04 2006 @ 09:00 PM EDT
    [Quote Can we get Louis and Ken to record a simulated pledge break that you can watch before every 4th episode to give you that full public broadcasting experience?

That would be hilarious! What about it Louis? How about a quick feed via Podshock of a fundraiser campaign...but instead of it being for PBS, you can do one for the Podshock show! Yes!! Mr. Green I see ficticious give-aways like they use to have... duffle bags, signed autographed picturs of the Podshock crew!

I like what I'm thinking! A 5 minute pledge drive with the sound of phones ringing in the background- priceless!

Tuesday, April 04 2006 @ 09:34 PM EDT
    DSCFord, your observations on the melodramatic caveman made me laugh out loud. I thought it was classic when he said that in the episode.

Heath Holland

Wednesday, April 05 2006 @ 01:32 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Tempis Fugid]
    [Quote Can we get Louis and Ken to record a simulated pledge break that you can watch before every 4th episode to give you that full public broadcasting experience?

That would be hilarious! What about it Louis? How about a quick feed via Podshock of a fundraiser campaign...but instead of it being for PBS, you can do one for the Podshock show! Yes!! Mr. Green I see ficticious give-aways like they use to have... duffle bags, signed autographed picturs of the Podshock crew!

I like what I'm thinking! A 5 minute pledge drive with the sound of phones ringing in the background- priceless!

Sure we can do it. No problem...

Thank you for your interest! Supporting your favourite podcasts helps to bring you the programs you love. Programs like Doctor Who: Podshock, Cinemaslave, as well as treasured programs like Rough Ready and Raw and The James Naughton Podcast. Your support also helps your podcaster provide a variety of education and information services tailored to your community.

This message was made possible in part by listeners like you.

Cheers,
    Louis Wink

☛ Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LouisTrapani ♥ ♥

Sunday, April 09 2006 @ 11:46 AM EDT
    I also enjoyed the "caveman" story much more than I was expecting to. These actors all look like they stepped right off the stage at the National Theatre and have no idea how to act in front of a camera. Preferring live theatre myself, I get a kick out of it. I thought the Old Woman was played wonderfully; and the melodramatic argument scene mentioned above is played just like the forum scene in JULIUS CAESAR with simpler lines. Fake iambic pentameter is all over the Hartnell years, according to "About Time" vol. 1 (which I now consider to be an invaluable resource). Get "About Time" if you haven't already, and want to really know about the early years!

Profile    PM    Email   

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed
    Words are censored