The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: The Mark of the Rani? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 301 - 'The Mark of the Rani' is Reviewed
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Featured in Podcastrovalva
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 300 - The Passing of Kate O'Mara, Interviews with Mary Tamm and Janet Fielding
  • NASA New Spacesuit Z-2 Dominates
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 299 - 'The Web of Fear' Reviewed, News, and More
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 298 - 'The Enemy of the World' Reviewed, News, and More
  • Emma Campbell-Jones joins the L.I. Who 2 line up "Best news all day"
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 297 - Classic Interview with Colin Baker, News, Feedback, and More
  • How do you rate the Matt Smith era of Doctor Who? (5=Fantastic)

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    The Master's and the Rani's Costumes
    The Master's and the Rani's Costumes
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  The William Hartnell Era »  From Beginning to End: The First Doctor
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    From Beginning to End: The First Doctor Views: 3997
     Tuesday, April 14 2009 @ 01:13 PM EDT
    A new thread for those of us who have decided to watch the entire series from start to finish (I know this is gonna take me years!) so that we can record our thoughts as we go along.
    Right, here goes. An Unearthly Child tonight!

Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, April 14 2009 @ 02:29 PM EDT
    Be strong Idiom. After that first episode its tough going!

I've just finished watching The Daleks, so will be fun to discuss when you get there! Are you aiming for a story a night? Smile

If you're in the New York area come join us for Pub and Video meets - http://DWNY.org
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Tuesday, April 14 2009 @ 02:47 PM EDT
    More like an epsiode a night what with famly life and all that!

Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, April 14 2009 @ 03:06 PM EDT
    Probably a great way to watch it actually! Smile I'll look forward to your daily posts!

If you're in the New York area come join us for Pub and Video meets - http://DWNY.org

Tuesday, April 14 2009 @ 05:43 PM EDT
    So, epsiode one. What can I say. Amazing still, isn't it? I've seen it before more than once but was still totally absorbed by it. It's all there in that first episode. The mystery, the strange science, the alien nature that lies beneath the seemingly benign surface of the old man. And that cliff-hanger - the TARDIS in a deserted landscape that could be anywhere, anywhen and then a shadow falls across the door. No words, no screams, no monsters just a single shadow that will lay across the following years and my childhood and now my adulthood.I've started.

Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, April 14 2009 @ 11:16 PM EDT
    As documented on threads elsewhere I started doing this about 5 weeks ago.

Unearthly child through the sensorites completed.

On episode two of the reign of terror at the moment.

I have been loading them on my ipod and watching them at the gym.

Good luck guys.

In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed are Kings
      Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, April 15 2009 @ 04:01 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Doctor Whoovie] As documented on threads elsewhere I started doing this about 5 weeks ago.
    I have been loading them on my ipod and watching them at the gym.
    Good luck guys.

Yes, you were one of the main inspirations for this. I planning on watching with a break between each episode - the way it was originally designed to be watched, I suppose. To akllow the cliffhanger to wash over me for a while.
    I created this thread as I thought it might be easier for all of us to record our thoughts if we had one thread per Doctor becuse I know that we'll be watching at different speeds.

Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, April 15 2009 @ 09:27 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Doctor Whoovie] As documented on threads elsewhere I started doing this about 5 weeks ago.

Have you posted on The Sensorites yet, Whoovie? I saw your post on Keys of Marinus.

Wednesday, April 15 2009 @ 09:30 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Idiom] So, epsiode one. What can I say. Amazing still, isn't it? I've seen it before more than once but was still totally absorbed by it. It's all there in that first episode. The mystery, the strange science, the alien nature that lies beneath the seemingly benign surface of the old man. And that cliff-hanger - the TARDIS in a deserted landscape that could be anywhere, anywhen and then a shadow falls across the door. No words, no screams, no monsters just a single shadow that will lay across the following years and my childhood and now my adulthood.I've started.

I couldn't agree more. Its a genius piece of television and never gets old! Absolutely amazing stuff.

Wednesday, April 15 2009 @ 06:06 PM EDT
    Funny story this as it is really a three-part story tagged onto a one-parter. I've heard a lot of people describe most of it (with the exception of episode one) as quite hard going. And while in general, I'd agree that it isn't the strongest story, I feel that watching it in short twenty-moinute episode chunks helps a lot.
    I love the tense atmosphere which is aided by the strangely almost carved faces of the tribe (especially Kal and the old woman) and by being black and white (you can definitely get a way with a lot when everything is cast inn shadow and the programme makers really took advantage of this). I love the pairing of Ian (logical, strong,Science teacher) and Barbara (intuitive, sensitive,history teacher)and their relaistic reactions at being transported into the past - Ian's initial disbelief and the almost hysterical moment that Barbara has as she comes across a dead animal but then immediately proves herself to be the conscience of this TARDIS team by refusing to leave the injured tribesman behind. I love the whole Ian-Doctor locking of horns trying to see who will be the Alpha male of the crew (it sort of reminds me of the 9th Doctor's first encounter with Captain Jack). The Doctor - well, what do we make of him so far: ammoral (willing to kidnap the two teachers and sacrifice the tribesman so that they can escape) but also very human (apologising for getting everybody into this mess and looking more bedraggled by the minute). Interestingly, as well the credits at the end name him as Dr.Who (I wonder when he becomes just the Doctor - must watch out for that).
    OK so it's not the most plot driven of stories but watching it part by part it does maintain a real sense of urgency and danger for the travellers. Part three for me was definitely stronger than part two but I'm still enjoying it all overall and not watching the clock. One more part to go then Daleks, me hearties!

Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, April 16 2009 @ 10:31 AM EDT
    Great thoughts there Idiom. The characters are very strong and well-rounded even at this early stage - and the rock scene is still quite shocking.

There's a lot of atmosphere, helped by the Black & White, of course. Its not something I pull out to watch a lot - but enjoy it whever I do.

[Quote  by:  Idiom] One more part to go then Daleks, me hearties!

Well, almost-2 parts and then a plunger! But I get your drift Wink

Thursday, April 16 2009 @ 06:04 PM EDT
    That's story one done. Yes, definitely more enjoyable and pacy when left with a gap between episodes. Good to see Ian giving up the Alpha male position to the Doctor after the Doctor manages to prove Kal's guilt and Za's innocence using his wits alone. A flash of the genius to come.
    Again some real reactions with the Doctor and Susan almost trampling Barbara in their rush to escape. Also good to see some physical consequences of the action with the TARDIS crew dirty, sweat-stained and torn clothes.
    A dark, violent episode overall and the first sign of some peace between the crew of the time machine as their pool their resources to escape the tribe.
    Also good to see a cliffhanger pull you into the next story straight away - keeps that narrative thread and makes each individual story part of the whole.
    looking forward to the next one.

Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, April 19 2009 @ 02:22 PM EDT
    A day or two off and now I've started the Daleks. I think that I've stated in other posts that what I really like about classic Who is its slower pace. That it takes its time to tell a story. It's the main reason that I tend to criticise moden Who - that it is in a rush and sometimes starts or wraps up too quickly at the expense of the main storyline. I'm sure that if the Daleks were re-made today then the whole first episode would be done as the pre-title scene. Some may think that that is a good thing but me I love a story that slowly unwarps itself piece by piece paying geat attention to detail.
    Here the planet (the first alien planet that Doctor Who viewres were shown in the series and only the second story!)is revealed little by little. The petrified forest, the tress that do not move, flowers that crumble at the touch, an alien lifeform made of metal, a vast, seemingly empty alien city (again being in black and white, the director is able to get away with a lot more).
    The story focuses on the TARDIS crew; there are consequences which run over from the previous story. Still the teachers do not trust the Doctor and rightfully so - what an egotistical, self-centred old man he is. For me, this reveals that Ian and Barbara are the first humans that the Doctor has travelled with. He has yet to be humanised by his companions - he is used to making all of the decisions and this is why he clashes with Ian.And yet also, there are glimpses of Ian's humour and the relationship that will develop between them.
    I loved the glimpses of the TARDIS interior and the food machine (do we ever see this again?).
    Piece by piece. These are great story makers and it is almost constructed like a Hitchcock film with just a glimpse of a hand and later that plunger!
    And I try to put myself in the minds of the original viewers who had never seen a Dalek, what must they have imagined at the end of that plunger.
    Great, great stuff.

Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, April 20 2009 @ 10:56 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Idiom]And I try to put myself in the minds of the original viewers who had never seen a Dalek, what must they have imagined at the end of that plunger.
    Great, great stuff.

I was one of those viewers Exclaimation Having to wait a whole week ( a long time when you're eight) to find that out had me on tenterhooks the whole time. And I've said elsewhere (I think) that I had occasional bad dreams about the Daleks right into adulthood. Rolling Eyes

Good luck on your quest - for that's what you've embarked on!

Life, the Universe and everything is just nature's way of saying chaos theory works just fine!
      Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, April 20 2009 @ 03:39 PM EDT
    Thanks Adeola!
    Some thoughts on The Daleks episode 2: SPOILERS.

Daleks! Hooray! They really were born fully formed and 46 years later are really not much different to the way they were then. I think this accounts for their continued popularity. If you look at the main villains in other shows: the Kligons in Star Trek, The Wraith in Atlantis, etc. they change, become humanised, dilluted.
    This may make them more interesting as characters in some cases but, to my mind, makes them less successful villains. Not so the Daleks.They remain today pretty much faithful to the original concept.
    Loved the Doctor's first confrontation with them. "Stay in the light!" The contrast of the (seemingly)frail old man in the light and the cold, mechanical nazis in the dark.
    The characters still seem so human: The Doctor's continued self-interest, Susan's fear, Ian's frustration and resignation that he cannot be the one to save them and that there is nothing else that he can do but send the young girl out on her own on this alien planet. He still at this point seems the natural leader of the group and is the first person ever to be exterminated!
    Another, teasing glimpse of the Thals - first a hand, now a cloak. Piece by piece.
    And a great episode ending. Susan framed against the door of the Tardis console room by a violent streak of lightening in the petrified forest outside and her bravery at leaving all she knows behind to go out and face...
    well, tere's the next episode for you...onward!

Profile    PM    Email   

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed
    Words are censored