The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: The Mark of the Rani? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 301 - 'The Mark of the Rani' is Reviewed
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Featured in Podcastrovalva
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 300 - The Passing of Kate O'Mara, Interviews with Mary Tamm and Janet Fielding
  • NASA New Spacesuit Z-2 Dominates
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 299 - 'The Web of Fear' Reviewed, News, and More
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 298 - 'The Enemy of the World' Reviewed, News, and More
  • Emma Campbell-Jones joins the L.I. Who 2 line up "Best news all day"
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 297 - Classic Interview with Colin Baker, News, Feedback, and More
  • How do you rate the Matt Smith era of Doctor Who? (5=Fantastic)

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Happy Easter!
    Happy Easter!
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  The Matt Smith Era »  Things for Moffat to change
     Next Next Topic Printable Version
    Things for Moffat to change Views: 2260
     Sunday, July 06 2008 @ 10:27 PM EDT
    After watching this season, there are a few things that I would like to see addressed as they are bugging me.

1) The TARDIS - can we give the old girl some dignity back by making the console look less like a junk heap.
    2) On a similar vein, less flames shooting up and less operations involving the Doctor and companion getting flung around just trying to move.
    3) The sonic screwdriver - been seeing less of it - that's a good start.
    4) Big universe - Earth is a small part of it. It's been on four seasons - I don't think we need RTD's "lets see it all from a human PoV"
    5) Daleks - they've gone on vacation for a few years. same thing for other aliens that keep coming back - see #4 - big universe
    6) episodes - more of them and longer Smile
    7) tardis interior - would be nice to see another room or two.

Anything others want to see different?

Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, July 06 2008 @ 10:49 PM EDT
    Spot on Sabalon. I would add:
    1. no more spin offs
    2. retire the companions we've seen in series 1-4

"There comes a time, Timelord, when every lonely little boy must learn how to dance"
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Sunday, July 06 2008 @ 11:14 PM EDT

The only things left for Moffat to do are

pen a story with the Master and the Daleks together
    pen an episode featuring farting
    cast Hugh Grant as the Doctor
    cast a female Doctor
    and cast Julia Sawalha as a companion...

Oh, wait, he's already done all these... Wink Twisted Evil in 1999!!!

cross posted from SciFi forums

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!

Sunday, July 06 2008 @ 11:34 PM EDT
    he should bring the cybermen back.

in fact he could do a whole story about the daleks waging war with the cybermen.

it could be the second time war. TW2.

"Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth."
      Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, July 07 2008 @ 12:21 AM EDT
    I like the Tardis console the way it is, but yes, I do want to see more of it.

I would be happy for no more daleks for quite a while. The doctor keeps defeating them, gone for good and yet they are still around, sheesh.

More creepy episodes would be very cool, we know Moffat can do them.

Admiral Kristine Kochanski G.A.B. Saffron, Moonstone, Burnt Orange Team Leader http://www.gabtraders.com "O brave new world That has such people in't"
      Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, July 07 2008 @ 01:52 AM EDT
    To elaborate one some things already stated, I would like an end to monsters or other people coming back then getting destroyed forever just to come back shortly after. I can't believe how many times the Doctor has fought the last of the Daleks at this point.

Also, no more companions with their whole families. I'd like a companion that doesn't also come with their mother.

Have another male companion, or at least 2 companions traveling in the Tardis together in just regular stories, not only in the instance of an epic season finale.

Have a companion not from our time. I know Captain Jack provided a male companion without a family that wasn't from our time, but he was only in about a 3rd of a season, and then came back for a couple of finales. I'd like to see a full or nearly full season with the 2 companion dynamic or at very least a companion from another time.

I'd also like to see Moffat create the next true nemesis for the Doctor. The villains used in the finales andto create the most drama are all from the old series. Moffat has shown he can create iconic villains like the clockwork men and the weeping angels just to name a couple. I have faith in him to take that next step and create a true threat that the Doctor must face more than once in the years to come.

I know I was a bit redundant with some of what I said and its some things I've been calling out for in the past but I figured I should say it.

"Hero! I should have been a God!"
      Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, July 07 2008 @ 03:18 AM EDT
    Omega, you are totally dead on with all of your comments and I would seriously be surprised and downright disappointed if most, if not all of them came true during Moffat's tenure.

Esco, "The Bachelor" has regenerated into Bullitt33!!!!

Monday, July 07 2008 @ 08:06 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  tarashnat]

Oh great - just what we need - some plotline where the Master gets enhanced by Dalek technology.

Perhaps for those who like the older Doctors, he can bring back Jim Broadbent.

Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, July 07 2008 @ 08:47 AM EDT
    I would also like to see more rooms in the Tardis.
    Also agree that a series with two companions would be good, and definitely would love to see a male companion.
    Someone like Jamie again Big Grin

And no more spin offs, but I still really want Torchwood and Sarah Jane to continue.

I also would love to see Jenny as a regular companion for a half a year or so.

bye bye david :(

Monday, July 07 2008 @ 12:13 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Sabalon]

Oh great - just what we need - some plotline where the Master gets enhanced by Dalek technology.

The Daleks and the Master were together in the story "Frontier in Space" during the Pertwee ers (the 3rd Doctor). Granted it was just the last episode but it happened.

BTW: I don't think the Master would allow himself to be "enhanced" by Dalek technology.

"Make your last move, Doctor. Make your LAST move." The Celestial Toymaker to the Doctor in "The Celestial Toymaker: The Final Test"
      Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, July 07 2008 @ 12:15 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  T Baker(notTom)]

The Daleks and the Master were together in the story "Frontier in Space" during the Pertwee ers (the 3rd Doctor). Granted it was just the last episode but it happened.

you also forget that they would have to figure out a way to bring the master back again.

if they start doing that every session like with the daleks that could get old fast.

"Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth."
      Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, July 07 2008 @ 12:22 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Justice]
    [Quote  by:  T Baker(notTom)]

you also forget that they would have to figure out a way to bring the master back again.

if they start doing that every session like with the daleks that could get old fast.

They could probably get the Master back in a similar way the 4th Doctor and Sarah Jane helped Eldrad come back in "The Hand of Fear". Remember the Master's ring still exsist, so if his DNA is stored in the ring like Eldrad's was he could be brought back in a similar way, but use a slightly different technology.

"Make your last move, Doctor. Make your LAST move." The Celestial Toymaker to the Doctor in "The Celestial Toymaker: The Final Test"
      Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, July 07 2008 @ 01:01 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Sabalon] 1) The TARDIS - can we give the old girl some dignity back by making the console look less like a junk heap.

Apparently the current set is falling apart, so it'll almost certainly be revamped for series 5. Whether its a radical overhaul remains to be seen.

[Quote  2) On a similar vein, less flames shooting up and less operations involving the Doctor and companion getting flung around just trying to move.

Not for me! Doctor/companions flying around the TARDIS at the tilt of a camera is an essential part of the show Smile

[Quote  3) The sonic screwdriver - been seeing less of it - that's a good start.

Probably, although as has been noted before, its current status as a useful "magic wand" originally came from Moffatt.

[Quote  4) Big universe - Earth is a small part of it. It's been on four seasons - I don't think we need RTD's "lets see it all from a human PoV"

Budget will keep the show anchored on Earth, I'm afraid.

[Quote  5) Daleks - they've gone on vacation for a few years. same thing for other aliens that keep coming back - see #4 - big universe

By the next series of Who, it'll be two years since the Daleks were last on our screens. For kids, thats an eon. Bring 'em back ,say I Smile

[Quote  6) episodes - more of them and longer Smile

I doubt they could make more. They make more Who every year than anytime since the 60s. And to a "cinematic" standard.

[Quote  7) tardis interior - would be nice to see another room or two.

It's got to happen eventually!

Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, July 07 2008 @ 01:04 PM EDT
    Some good points all round. Things I would like:

1) Yes, addressing the companion issue - non-twenty-first century, non-British, male and female - I think that the dynamic between companions rather than Doctor and Companion hasn't really been developed since the oh-too-subtle gentle hints between Harry and Sarah (did anyone else ever think that they might get it together?)? Or a mystery concerning a companion that leads to the story arc (e.g a companion who arrives on board with no memory of who they are).
    2) Yes, less earth stories but I have to say that here has been a good balance this season for me
    3) some pure historicals - so much drama to tap here that they did so well with the first Doctor
    4)Not having to up the ante at the end of every season - for example, the Pompeii story would have made a great two-parter to end the season - not that I didn't love this year's but I think that Buffy fell into this trap of trying to outdo itself every year.
    5) More stories that make sense without using the cop out of mumbo-jumbo science - this is why I loved the Doctor Dances cos the resolution actually ade sense to me!
    6) The Brig!
    7) Re-imagined Ice-warriors, Yeti and (please!) Zygons!
    8)Yes, dark, creepy, Gothic tales - love them! Doctor Who is supposed to scare the living daylights out of you.
    9)No Doctor-lite episodes. OK they've pulled out the stops for the last two but I would rather the resources went into 12 better episodes than one that, let's face it, we can't wait to get out of the way every year.
    10)revisit old planets from the past - Peladon!

Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, July 07 2008 @ 02:26 PM EDT

My Top Ten:

1. An older, more reserved and calculating Doctor. He doesn't have to be ancient ala Hartnell - just not another brash, overly-wired and snappy Doctor in the mold of Tennant's 10. It's just about run it's course now and we need some contrast again. Make it so for next time.

2. No more cop-out regenerations and human-biological-metacrap. Redefining some aspects of the canon and mythology are fine - THIS is sacred stuff, though. It's frankly embarassing after "Journey's End." Just promise me - never again.

3. More spooky, less kooky. Just because it's got kids watching, doesn't mean we can't get new classics in the "Seeds of Doom" mold. Make it truly fearful again, and fun all at once.

4. When a companion has an ideal ending (ala Rose in "Doomsday") don't bother bringing them back - at all. It only devalues what's been done to bring proper closure to their storyline to begin with.

5. More backseat Classic Series monsters brought into the new era. Hell, I'm not even picky - surprise me. Just no more Daleks, Cybermen, etc. - especially the Daleks - they need a major rest.

6. OK - If you'll allow the Mondas Cybers to return and PWN the frakkin' crap out of their poser alt-world counterparts, I'll make an exception on the Cybermen. That would rule.

7. Even less sonic, yes please.

8. Sally Sparrow as a companion for at least 2 years/seasons.

9. A Brigadier appearance would indeed make me happy. I'll take any other cameos from the Classic era you've got, though. Bring 'em on.

10. No more beatings over the head with the season-long buzzwords or easter eggs - make these things more subtle, and far more rewarding to pick out, opposed to the annoyance they've generally been.

And P.S. - if you've actually got a grand plan for the Doctor's "daughter," please assure me it's going to amount to something worthwhile in the end. Because, so far, her presence in the series at all is pointless and most irksome.

Human Biological Metacrisis = Bite Me, RTD.
      Profile    PM    Email   

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed
    Words are censored