The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'In the Forest of the Night' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 26
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 315 - 'Flatline' Reviewed
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Flatline? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Flatline' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 19th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 314 - 'Mummy on the Orient Express' Reviewed
  • Music Video of 'Don't Stop Me Now' Performed by Foxes from Doctor Who 'Mummy on the Orient Express'
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Mummy on the Orient Express? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Mummy on the Orient Express' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 12th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 313 - 'Kill the Moon' Reviewed
  • The Curse Of The Black Tooth - Spoilers!

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Colin Baker & Nicola Bryant at Fab Cafe
    Colin Baker & Nicola Bryant at Fab Cafe
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  The Matt Smith Era »  Things for Moffat to change
     Next Next Topic Printable Version
    Things for Moffat to change Views: 2358
     Monday, July 07 2008 @ 04:16 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  T Baker(notTom)]BTW: I don't think the Master would allow himself to be "enhanced" by Dalek technology.

But Dalek 'bumps' are so fashionable. Mr. Green

Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, July 07 2008 @ 04:30 PM EDT
    I wouldn't mind the Daleks being on screen as much as they have been if the episodes gave a feeling that they were a force in the universe but that their race isn't "completely destroyed" every time we meet them.

Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, July 07 2008 @ 04:34 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Darkman216] I wouldn't mind the Daleks being on screen as much as they have been if the episodes gave a feeling that they were a force in the universe but that their race isn't "completely destroyed" every time we meet them.

LOL - good point. How many times has it been now? Three? And yet there must STILL be factions that have managed to survive - pending another generous lease on behalf of the Nation Estate, of course. Razz

Human Biological Metacrisis = Bite Me, RTD.
      Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, July 07 2008 @ 04:48 PM EDT
    As Will-I-Am said, any classic appearances would be great. There are a number of characters that could/would still be around in contemporary earth that could make cameos. It could even be done in a way that doesn't make much difference to the story without it being a fullblown reunion. You could have the doc and new companion separated on Earth and have the companion run into Tegan. They could get a line in ("yeah...blah blah, nice to meet you. My names Tegan Jovanka"), just enough to know who it is, and move on.

However, Alistair deserves a full two-parter Smile

As for the budget, I can see that point and am wondering how long before Cardiff runs out of places to stand in for this and that. Still, they took normal locations and made them "alien" in New Earth, Ood, Midnight and so on. It doesn't need to break the bank. I'll even settle for human looking aliens ala Face of Evil, Robots of Death and so on. I just don't buy the "must tie the show to earth and a family or the viewers won't understand it."

Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, July 07 2008 @ 04:56 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Will-I-Am]
    [Quote  by:  Darkman216] I wouldn't mind the Daleks being on screen as much as they have been if the episodes gave a feeling that they were a force in the universe but that their race isn't "completely destroyed" every time we meet them.

LOL - good point. How many times has it been now? Three? And yet there must STILL be factions that have managed to survive - pending another generous lease on behalf of the Nation Estate, of course. Razz

Oh, with the number of times that the Daleks were completely wiped out in the Hartnell era alone one should consider it a homage to the Dalek tales of that era.

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Monday, July 07 2008 @ 05:22 PM EDT

Well with Moffet taking over - I for one don't mind some sort of 'reset button' here.

Adventures in Time & Space - with a couple of new companions along for the ride.

But I'd still like to see DT in the role well into the 5th Series.

Cheers, daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali

Monday, July 07 2008 @ 05:51 PM EDT

I just love the fallacy of Moffat = big changes...

Who was the first script writer to give us:

* the Doctor settling down with a companion
    * fart jokes
    * gratuitous regenerations
    * a female version of the Doctor?

I'll give you a hint, it wasn't Russell T. Davies!

Monday, July 07 2008 @ 07:06 PM EDT
    I, too, have a bit of a wish list for the Moff.

* Keep giving the finger to hardcore "fans" about the Doctor's romantic tendencies. In the words of that great Seventies chanteur, "Love — exciting and new" is what we need on the TARDIS. The Doctor should continue to Dance, as he has generally done in Moff episodes.
      * Have a season completely devoid of any races which debuted in the original series. I admit to wanting an episode with whatever race created the Clockwork Droids, but other than that, I'd like a series where I have literally no idea what might be coming next.
      * Male companion. It's been said before, but really, it's time.
      * I think it's time for some rather dramatic changes in other backhouse personnel. I'd like to see a new composer, not because I hate Murray Gold — far, far from it — but just because I'd like to see someone else given a shot. What would Doctor Who be like without any of the Gold stable of common cues? I'd also like to see more writers and directors given their first crack at the programme. I think it's time to believe that younger people who weren't fans of the original series might be able to deliver bold, new ideas about the programme. As much as I've enjoyed the RTD "nostalgia tour" of the black and white era, I want more people who, like the Moff himself, have greater credentials in television generally, than they do in Doctor Who fan circles. I especially want to move away from people who were active in Doctor Who print media of the 1990s.
      * Though I wouldn't be upset if DT were around for 2010, I want a new Doctor sooner rather than later. A somehow unannounced mid-season-five regeneration would be awesome.
      * I live in fear of what he's going to do with River Song. If she has to be in it, and I would assume she does, can she somehow not be the regular companion, please? I just think it sucks that we're seemingly locked into her already. Unless of course we've seen her die as a chameleon arched Time Lord or she turns out to in fact be Jenny or something that allows the replacement of Alex Bloody Kingston. It's a clever idea, but as I've said before I hate the casting.
      *Scaled down pseudo-historicals, more like his own "Empty Child" than "Shakespeare Code". Now, I loved the "Code", but something that's a little more balanced towards the historical than the pseudo is what I want. In classic terms, "Time Meddler" works better for me than "The Romans" and "The King's Demons" is far more interesting than "The Visitation", but they're both better plots than "Black Orchid". I can see the appeal of the challenge of writing a modern pure historical, but I still think that little "pinch" of pseudo is necessary. There's got to be some "natural" order to restore, and there's no reason for the "natural" order to be upset except by someone from the future trying to upset things. Pure historicals are just awfully hard to write, and most of what we had in the Hartnell era weren't as "pure" as ya think. Most were about such obscure events that they were basically wholesale fiction on the order of a Quantum Leap episode. Or they just got their history completely wrong. I guess what I'm saying is that I'd rather have a major, known historical event under threat, than a bit of fiction that happens to have an historical setting.
      *In this same vein, I want my Ben Franklin episode. I like the pattern of the "featured historical personality" — it's good for kids to focus on some important person from the past — but please, Lord Moffat, not another writer. Give us an inventor, a reluctant warrior, a revolutionary — someone like the Doctor. "My mate Ben" should be the mantra of the episode. We've had two clear hints in the new series alone that the Doctor was involved in the American Revolution. It makes sense to do a "two Doctors" buddy flick with Dr. Franklin. And it would be a neat twist on the historical paradigm to have it not be a first meeting, but for the episode to imply that the two have met before. The "teaser out" could be something like an annoyed Franklin saying, "Look, Doctor, awfully good to see you again, but really I don't have time for one of your little adventures right now."

Most of all, even though I've got a shopping list like any other fan, I want the Moff to ignore people like me and do what the hell he wants. He's a totally safe pair of hands.

"I think of myself as ambitious in casting terms, and I know that Bonnie [Langford] has the potential to make the part totally unirritating . . ." — JNT, 1986

Monday, July 07 2008 @ 07:48 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  DarthSkeptical]
    * Male companion. It's been said before, but really, it's time.
    * A somehow unannounced mid-season-five regeneration would be awesome.

* Most of all, even though I've got a shopping list like any other fan, I want the Moff to ignore people like me and do what the hell he wants. He's a totally safe pair of hands.

Ditto
    Ditto
    (and) Ditto

Cheers, daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali

Monday, July 07 2008 @ 07:59 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  tarashnat]
    I just love the fallacy of Moffat = big changes...

Who was the first script writer to give us:

* the Doctor settling down with a companion
    * fart jokes
    * gratuitous regenerations
    * a female version of the Doctor?

I'll give you a hint, it wasn't Russell T. Davies!

Yes yes, Taras - but still - that was INTENTIONAL COMEDY!

And in truth, that list of potential taboo material works fine for me, as long as:

* The relationship works between the characters (ala River Song) - don't force the issue - let it happen in ways we can feel from week to week, like Rose - but - should an ending be set in stone for said relationship (ala "Doomsday"), leave it be and let it go.

* The farts don't involve giant green pudgy aliens with mutant "Gerber Baby" heads and claws. Be more clever than that, please.

* The choices are always inspired and different each time we turn the corner for a new Doc (though, face it, we ARE running out of regens - though I suspect the 'Moff himself might be the one to fix that). Twisted Evil

* Sure, why not? I've never been against that idea. Bring it on.

Moffat will maintain major greatness. He understands what made the Classic Series work when it comes to the creepy factor, despite what many merely dismiss as a children's television program and nothing more. That element has been sorely missed this time, outside of his involvement. Only "Midnight" ranks alongside Moffat's zest for this quality - RTD nailed it. And even still - compelling storylines with challenging material need to be balanced in more heavily, despite the kids watching - let's face it, at 8, I sure as hell never pretended to fully grasp everything that ever went on in every episode I watched of the Classic Series - but that never kept me from being any less captivated or compelled to keep watching it at the time.

With the entire front-end of the production team changing hands behind Moffat as well, yes, I expect some big changes will be evident by the end of 2010, in spite of what Moffat does or doesn't do in terms of certain aspects to the writing. No, they're not going to flip the series on its head - but I suspect we'll see tweaking to the overall formula for the better, even if it's only subtle. To me, the RTD/Gardner/Collinson team brought their own mark to the series. Moffat and his new team will likely do the same. People may argue that they'll change little in lieu of its newfound success once more, but face it - a formula and basic imprint that treads water will surely grow stale - they'll make changes as they see fit to insure it keeps the magic moving in one way, while keeping things fresh in another. It's inevitable.

And I'm with Darth - Murray's been great, but his imprint is largely familiar now on the last 4 years - might be time to hand the scoring over to someone new and see what happens. It will make Series 5 stand on its own even more so, as it should, in a sense. We'll finally be leaving a lot of "themes" behind since these recurring characters from RTD's era are more or less finished now - it just makes sense to get a new dynamic of style in place for what's coming next.

Human Biological Metacrisis = Bite Me, RTD.
      Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, July 07 2008 @ 08:13 PM EDT
    I'm going to amend everyones comment about more off Earth for Series 5. We actually were OFF EARTH a significant portion of this year (significant compared to OTHER recent years).

So! I'd like us to be off Earth where the people we meet AREN'T HUMAN! They can be humanoid for ease of doing business, but no more humans, please. Maybe the planet that Jabe was from! Or Chantho's people before they were killed out IF we need to have something we've already met. I just want to meet non-human aliens.

But! - dare I say it? - In Steven We Trust (at least until 2010!)

supremacy is relative
      Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, July 07 2008 @ 08:29 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Tom Hagen]
    [Quote  7) tardis interior - would be nice to see another room or two.

It's got to happen eventually!

In light of how well Midnight seemed to work (or not work as opinions are never unanimous) It would seem an all Tardis episode could be both cheap and interesting. Revisiting old rooms and introducing new ones etc... I would not like to see everything about the Tardis revealed and set down in the show, but it would be wonderful to learn more about it and even have an episode where it is the 'star of the show' in a manner of speaking.

Coming to theaters this fall, Frau Blücher and Harpo Marx star in 'The Shadow Proclamation'!
      Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, July 07 2008 @ 08:33 PM EDT
    Yes I have some very serious issues that need to be addressed...

more attractive men with no shirts on, please.

ok that was just one issue.

Rolling Eyes

Actually I don't care what he does. I just want more episodes to watch and please, no Vervoids.

If Worzel Gummidge and the Third Doctor had a fist fight - who would win?

Monday, July 07 2008 @ 08:36 PM EDT
    I think one of the things I liked about Black Orchid was the fact that the plot was pretty straight and simple, and more to the point, if the Doctor had not been there, it would have no impact on anything in the grand scheme of things.

Same or similar thing could be done, and probably has been done, where the Doctor upsets what would be the natural order of things and has to put them historically correct (or as correct as we get.) Perhaps the Doctor could do something that helps legitimize Lady Jane's rule, and then realizes has has 9 days to unseat a monarch. His support of Jane could explain why Elizabeth hated him at the end of Shakespeare Code. No need however for aliens or anything. Perhaps they could even borrow the existing sets from The Tudors and save a buck/pound or two.

Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, July 07 2008 @ 09:20 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Magpie]
    more attractive men with no shirts on, please.

Does Davros count? Twisted Evil

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed
    Words are censored