The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: The Mark of the Rani? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 301 - 'The Mark of the Rani' is Reviewed
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Featured in Podcastrovalva
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 300 - The Passing of Kate O'Mara, Interviews with Mary Tamm and Janet Fielding
  • NASA New Spacesuit Z-2 Dominates
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 299 - 'The Web of Fear' Reviewed, News, and More
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 298 - 'The Enemy of the World' Reviewed, News, and More
  • Emma Campbell-Jones joins the L.I. Who 2 line up "Best news all day"
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 297 - Classic Interview with Colin Baker, News, Feedback, and More
  • How do you rate the Matt Smith era of Doctor Who? (5=Fantastic)

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    The Glass TARDIS
    The Glass TARDIS
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  The Matt Smith Era »  11th Doctor announcement Saturday!!!
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    11th Doctor announcement Saturday!!! Views: 6296
     Saturday, January 03 2009 @ 06:12 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  DarthSkeptical] You know, I hadn't though about this before, but Smith will likely have filmed his whole series before the regeneration sequence is filmed.

Series 5 will most likely be filmed July 2009 thru February/March 2010.

They start on the first of the specials in mid-January 2009. Are they going to film them all at once, or have breaks between?

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Saturday, January 03 2009 @ 07:48 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  old china] Early on in the show they mentioned casting a 26 year old, I thought oh no, they've cast Russell Tovey!

So when I saw it was Matt Smith, my initial reaction was phew.

Then I thought that he'd have made a great 13th Doctor in about ten years time.

This is the first time a new Doctor will be younger than me (by a good ten years). Hope this doesn't make me feel like I'm suddenly watching a kids show!

But anyway, let's hope he's every bit as great as his predecessor and wish him all the best!

I agree Old China - when they said 26 year old I thought - Russell Tovey - thank goodness it wasn't him.

Cheers, daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali

Saturday, January 03 2009 @ 10:15 PM EST
    I'm very very relived it wasn't Paterson Joseph like I through it would be.

I'm still getting over how Matt Smith is only one year older than me. ^^
    So I can fancy him and not feel to weird. XD Huzzah!
    Plus, I think he'll look great in Ten's suit during the post regeneration scenes.

And look, brainy specs ^^

I really would of liked someone older, ginger Big Grin, early 30's at least, but if he impressed the grand Moff, and he knows what he's doing, then I'm sure he will be a safe bet for 11 and I simply can't wait to see more from him.

Will be recording an episode of my podcast covering this tommorrow.

As my friend is saying. "Matt Smith for the win!"

bye bye david :(

Sunday, January 04 2009 @ 12:27 AM EST
    Wow talk about coming out of the blue with this one.Well age wise it beat peter(29 years when he did it). I will take a wait and see on this one,I think this pick was to keep the young viewers that they got with david.Also they did not want to get someone will knowned to start with a clean slate.which is fine.Let's hope it don't go bubble gum on us.I was hopeing for someone in the 40's range,but oh well.All I can say is good luck Matt,you will need it.

Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, January 04 2009 @ 12:40 AM EST
    [Quote  by:  daveac] I agree Old China - when they said 26 year old I thought - Russell Tovey - thank goodness it wasn't him.

Indeed, no offense to Mr Tovey but I'd be hard pushed to think of someone less right for the role.

I was actually convinced it would be Patterson Joseph to be honest. But when Moffat said something about the successful actor having the right hair, I thought - hang on, Patterson doesn't have hair! I'm still not sure how I feel about it not being him, I was kind of sold on the idea. I must admit I think I'm disappointed it's not an older, more experienced actor. This is gaged on the fact that it's now 5:30am GMT and I've lost sleep thinking about it (yes, I'm that sad)!

I wonder how much the enormous success of the -very current- film Twilight has had on this casting. Is a trend of young pretty boys with cool haircuts as the Doctor the way it's gonna be from here on?

And I'm a bit disappointed that at the eleventh hour, Moffat has reneged on his long held belief that the Doctor should be someone around forty, give or take. That was how I felt too. I'm still not sure how I feel about putting all my belief and enthusiasm into someone who's sooo young!

Does anyone think that the BBC might be aiming more towards getting the younger, teen market more on board while assuming that us old time fan boys (and girls) will stick with it no matter what?

If half the art of survival is running away, the other half is knowing when to keep a straight face.
      Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, January 04 2009 @ 02:22 AM EST
    Once I saw the interview a smile has crept onto my face. If you really look at the Doctor's (the character and not the actors who played him)evolution or at least his last few regenerations you can see a bit of McGann, Eccleston and Tennant in him and of course he will try to make his own mark on the character as well.

Now it will be interesting to see his look compared to the others costume-wise.

But for now I think the character is in good hands.

Ok an addendum. Just saw the photos of him by the Tardis and am hoping those are not his costume as the Doctor but just him posing for publicity shots... if that is him in costume then he is really mimic-ing both Tennant and Eccleston in many ways. I dont say go totally old school but each Doctor had their own style..

Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, January 04 2009 @ 08:03 AM EST
    [Quote  by:  old china]
    Does anyone think that the BBC might be aiming more towards getting the younger, teen market more on board while assuming that us old time fan boys (and girls) will stick with it no matter what?

I work for Forbidden Planet and let me tell you, the teen market is already sold on Doctor Who. 95% of all our Doctor Who customers are teenagers or younger. Trust me on this, we as long time fans are in the distinct minority now. And thank god for that I say. If it was left up to us Bill Nighy would have been the 9th Doctor, flapping around in an Edwardian coat with a feisty bikini-clad bimbo as a companion, battling the Krynoid-Rutan alliance. It never would have worked.
    Personally, whilst I would have loved to have seen Patterson Joseph take the role, I'm mildly excited that it's such a left-field name. Thinking back to when Tom Baker was given the job how much TV work had he done? A lot less than Matt Smith. Yes Tom was older but comparitively speaking a lot lesser known.
    Which brings me to another point - his age. I see a lot of patronising comments on this forum and others. "Give this kid a chance" etc. Now, age for me shouldn't make a blind bit of a difference, after all the character is 900+ years old. Every actor has been technically "too young" for the part. Talent is all that counts. If he can bring something special to the role, as all the previous incumbents did, then his choice was justified. I like all the Doctors, some more than others (Pertwee is my least favourite), because they are all so different. And Matt Smith certainly has an air of Doctor-ishness about him.
    And as for his costume, can't you just see him in a short Top Hat? (see what I mean about old time fans? *sigh*)

Bollocks...sir.

Sunday, January 04 2009 @ 08:13 AM EST
    One other thing just occurred to me.
    Could Matt Smith be the Tom baker to David Tennants Jon Pertwee?
    Pertwee was a well known name before getting the part, made it his own and became, in many peoples eyes, irreplaceable.
    Then along came Tom...

Bollocks...sir.

Sunday, January 04 2009 @ 08:20 AM EST
    [Quote  by:  President Nice] If it was left up to us Bill Nighy would have been the 9th Doctor, flapping around in an Edwardian coat with a feisty bikini-clad bimbo as a companion, battling the Krynoid-Rutan alliance.

I like it!

Can we have that please ;-)

Cheers, daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali

Sunday, January 04 2009 @ 08:44 AM EST
    [Quote  by:  President Nice] Could Matt Smith be the Tom baker to David Tennants Jon Pertwee?
    In no way is DT like Pertwee. Nor is the 10th Doctor at all like the 3d. DT's playing the role pretty much as we'd expect from his previous body of work, unlike Pertwee's deliberate choice to play against his own type. And the 10th Doctor shares fewer characteristics with the 3d than just about any of them.

"I think of myself as ambitious in casting terms, and I know that Bonnie [Langford] has the potential to make the part totally unirritating . . ." JNT, 1986

Sunday, January 04 2009 @ 08:59 AM EST
    [Quote  by:  DarthSkeptical]
    [Quote  by:  President Nice] Could Matt Smith be the Tom baker to David Tennants Jon Pertwee?
    In no way is DT like Pertwee. Nor is the 10th Doctor at all like the 3d. DT's playing the role pretty much as we'd expect from his previous body of work, unlike Pertwee's deliberate choice to play against his own type. And the 10th Doctor shares fewer characteristics with the 3d than just about any of them.

Darth - I think the reference was to do with an un-known (relatively) being cast after a more well known actor had left the role - not to do with acting styles.

Cheers, daveac

Sunday, January 04 2009 @ 10:10 AM EST
    Well, this has prompted me to give this podcasting thing a try. My reaction -- cautious patience -- is up at twominutetimelord.com, where the design is spare, the RSS feeds are currently broken (bloody Movable Type) and the MP3s are tiny. Interested in your reactions! Now to download the Aftershock...

Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, January 04 2009 @ 10:19 AM EST
    [Quote  by:  old china]while assuming that us old time fan boys (and girls) will stick with it no matter what?

Well given the fact that we're all still here after series 3 and 4, I think that question has been answered.

Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, January 04 2009 @ 10:23 AM EST
    [Quote  by:  romana_II] I'm very very relived it wasn't Paterson Joseph like I through it would be.
    This was like your 3rd post hoping it wasn't PJ, so I'm just curious what it is about the guy that makes you feel so strongly about him? I can't say he'd be my first pick for the role, but if he was chosen then I'd still be ok with it...

Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, January 04 2009 @ 10:25 AM EST
    [Quote  by:  daveac]
    [Quote  by:  DarthSkeptical]

Darth - I think the reference was to do with an un-known (relatively) being cast after a more well known actor had left the role - not to do with acting styles.

Cheers, daveac

Yup, that's how I took the reference too. But if I were forced to compare the Tennant/ Smith transition in terms of the actors (which isn't fair on them, I know), I'd compare it to the T Baker/ Davison one. Tennants performance has been as popular as Tom's was in his day and now a younger actor has the task of following in his predecessors mighty footsteps.

I have a feeling we'll have a busier Tardis too, a la Davison. Which could be an interesting shift in the crews dynamic, unless of course they all fancy the Doctor Confused

If half the art of survival is running away, the other half is knowing when to keep a straight face.
      Profile    PM    Email   

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed
    Words are censored