The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing the 2014 Series Scheduled for Sunday, Nov 30
  • Peter Capaldi Being Interviewed by Craig Ferguson in 2009 [VIDEO]
  • Doctor Who Christmas Special 2014 Preview from BBC Children in Need
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 318 - 'Death in Heaven' Reviewed
  • Doctor Who Christmas Special 2014 Promo "Trailer" Video
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Death in Heaven? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Death in Heaven' Scheduled for Sunday, Nov 09
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 317 - 'Dark Water' Reviewed
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Dark Water? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Dark Water' Scheduled for Sunday, Nov 02

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Moya Brady at Gallifey 2008
    Moya Brady at Gallifey 2008
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  The Matt Smith Era »  The 11th Doctor: Matt Smith
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    The 11th Doctor: Matt Smith Views: 2349
     Saturday, January 03 2009 @ 03:54 PM EST
    Well, we finally know...

I trust and respect Steven Moffat's instincts. Matt Smith appears to be a good actor. The kid has a great resume and what I've read so far shows a plucky, youthful enthusiasm. I'm sure I'll love this youngster for all that he brings to the role. Who knows, with Moffat at the helm, he might become my favorite Doctor.

That being said...

I'm disappointed. Matt Smith appears to be the right man for the job, but could we maybe wait another three to five years before handing him the keys to the Tardis? I'm well aware of how young Davison and Tennant were when they first walked on the Doctor Who set, but I'd personally like to put the cut off age at around 30 or so (actually, I'd rather make it 35).

Plus, the man does have a passing resemblance to David Tennant. The series is all about change. I'm sure Smith's characterization will be remarkably different from his predecessors, but he appears to carry too many of the physical attributes of the 10th Doctor (tall, lanky, brown hair, light complexion). I understand the producers don't wish to lose their growing female audience that Tennant brought to the fold, but this is just ridiculous.

Enough of my grouchy attitude. Steven Moffat has never steered me wrong before, so I put my complete trust in his decision. I'm sure all of my initial disappointment will wash away quickly and I'll eventually get over the fact that there is now a Doctor younger than myself. As a Doctor Who fan, I welcome Matt Smith with open arms.

Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Saturday, January 03 2009 @ 04:23 PM EST
    I guess its always difficult to get used to a new Doctor. Maybe Matt Smith personality will be very different - that's the most important part, not how he looks.
    Id be very curious to see writings from past times when Doctors regenerated by long time fans - just to compare their initial impressions and how they feel after getting used to the Doctor. For instance Louis here with the Gallifreyan Embassy. I'd like to see some of the newsletters pulled from the archives with his intitial views of the 5th, 6th, and so on. And hear his opinion on his own writings. --Billy

Oh the phantom Piper!
      Profile    PM    Email   

Saturday, January 03 2009 @ 06:01 PM EST
    There's already an active thread discussing this here

Profile    PM    Email   

Saturday, January 03 2009 @ 06:40 PM EST
    I wonder if they should rename the show, "The curious case of John Smith" ?

Profile    PM    Email   

Saturday, January 03 2009 @ 07:29 PM EST
    I'm itching to know what outfit they give him. Perhaps an Edwardian coat with trendy modern clothes beneath.

Profile    PM    Email   

Saturday, January 03 2009 @ 07:42 PM EST
    Just found the Outpost Gallifrey images:

Matt Smith as the 11th Doctor - 1
    Matt Smith as the 11th Doctor - 2
    Matt Smith as the 11th Doctor - 3

Blend of Tenant's trendy outfit and Ecclestone's modern clothes. Love the look!

I hope they've signed him up for 5 years (3 full seasons + 4 movies).

Profile    PM    Email   

Saturday, January 03 2009 @ 10:35 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  Billyaxe]
    Id be very curious to see writings from past times when Doctors regenerated by long time fans - just to compare their initial impressions and how they feel after getting used to the Doctor. For instance Louis here with the Gallifreyan Embassy. I'd like to see some of the newsletters pulled from the archives with his intitial views of the 5th, 6th, and so on. And hear his opinion on his own writings. --Billy

Since the Gallifreyan Embassy was formed in June 1985, it was after Colin Baker had just taken over the role from Peter Davison. So our newsletter, Ambassadors of Life, did not cover the announcements of 5th or 6th Doctors. We did cover the 7th, but it would be very unfair to compare our reaction to that because of the circumstances at that time, what the BBC had done with Colin. It wasn't the case where Colin announced he was going to leave. Nothing against Sylvester McCoy, but fans at the time were not done with Colin Baker yet. Though we did not take our anger and frustration over what they did with Colin out on Sylvester.

I like many others were perhaps hoping for someone older than Tennant this time around, but with that said, it's not to say that a younger performer could not do the job. Let's not judge Matt Smith on his age. There have been many outstanding actors his age or younger... of note recently, the late Heath Ledger.

I am excited and I am looking forward to see how he approaches the role and his take on the Doctor. He's just one element of change ahead of us as well. 2010 will bring a new executive producer and lead writer with Steven Moffatt stepping in. Obviously there will be new companions as well.

From what I have seen of Matt Smith so far (interviews and clips), I think he is a good choice. I am also glad it was what I was asking for, someone new and none of the silly predictions and rumours that had been festering in the tabloids and net.

Cheers,
    Louis

☛ Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LouisTrapani ♥ ♥

Saturday, January 03 2009 @ 11:04 PM EST
    whoa.

looks the part.

"Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth."
      Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, January 04 2009 @ 12:28 AM EST

I am not sure how long this will be available here, watch it while you can. The extended Matt Smith interview from Doctor Who: Confidential:

Cheers,
    Louis

☛ Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LouisTrapani ♥ ♥

Sunday, January 04 2009 @ 02:27 AM EST
    yeah,

he's the doctor. Smile

"Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth."
      Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, January 04 2009 @ 05:24 AM EST
    I hope he doesn't twitch his hands so much while in character! Whoah! But he did have that Doctor character about him. Should be interesting to see how he acts.

Sunday, January 04 2009 @ 07:55 AM EST
    [Quote  by:  Mohan] I hope he doesn't twitch his hands so much while in character! Whoah! But he did have that Doctor character about him. Should be interesting to see how he acts.

Well the First Doctor did that..... :-)

Cheers, daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali

Tuesday, January 06 2009 @ 09:44 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  Milamber] Just found the Outpost Gallifrey images:

Matt Smith as the 11th Doctor - 1
    Matt Smith as the 11th Doctor - 2
    Matt Smith as the 11th Doctor - 3

Blend of Tenant's trendy outfit and Ecclestone's modern clothes. Love the look!

I hope they've signed him up for 5 years (3 full seasons + 4 movies).

I suspect that won't be his actual outfit. I remember seeing the picture of Colin Baker when he was announced and I assumed that it was what he would look like. Not even close. Smile

-

After posting this, I was listening to the AfterShock on my commute and heard Louis say almost the exact same thing. It was kind of funny.

I'm going "Full Circle" and putting my avatar back to what it was when I first joined. :)
      Profile    PM    Email   

Saturday, January 10 2009 @ 08:47 AM EST
    The 12th Doctor will be 18. The 13th Doctor will be 12. The 14th Doctor (and don' kid yourself, there will be a 14th Doctor) will be around 9. Smile

Actually I think Matt will be great. He seems very down to Earth, confident without being arrogant, happy go lucky, and fit. Very fit. I think I'm already in love with him.

Profile    PM    Email   

Saturday, January 10 2009 @ 09:01 AM EST
    [Quote  by:  Chase] The 12th Doctor will be 18. The 13th Doctor will be 12. The 14th Doctor (and don' kid yourself, there will be a 14th Doctor) will be around 9. Smile

Actually I think Matt will be great. He seems very down to Earth, confident without being arrogant, happy go lucky, and fit. Very fit. I think I'm already in love with him.

I disagree, I believe that by the time the twelfth Doctor arrives, the current crop of kids who started watching with Christopher E. will have grown up with the programme and will be able to cope with an older
    Doctor.
    I think that we saw this with the run of the classic series, by the time the fourth and fifth Doctors came along, the producers (although always still having an eye on the younger generation) knew that their core audience was older, had grown up with the programme and were more savvy about its mythos.
    Now, you have the older kids being able to explain more things to their younger siblings. In time, they'll be explaining to their own kids (not such a long time in the UK) just as I do with my daughter now.
    Anyway, that's my opinion.

Profile    PM    Email   

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed