The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 307 - 'Deep Breath' Reviewed
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Deep Breath? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Into the Dalek' Scheduled for Sunday, Aug 31st
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Deep Breath' Scheduled for Sunday, Aug 24th
  • BBC One 'Deep Breath' Promotional Advertisement Video [VIDEO]
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 306 - Interviews with Ian Marter and Sarah Sutton
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 305 - Interviews with Peter Howell and Ron Katz
  • Five Years of The Cultdom Collective Podcast!
  • The Official BBC Teaser Promo Video for the New 2014 Series [VIDEO]
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: The Claws of Axos? (5=Fantastic)

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Travis with Cast & Crew at Gallifrey 2006 (1 of 2)
    Travis with Cast & Crew at Gallifrey 2006 (1 of 2)
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  The Matt Smith Era »  Companion for 11th Doctor?
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    Companion for 11th Doctor? Views: 6215
     Saturday, January 10 2009 @ 08:35 AM EST
    For God'S sake have they never heard of a male companion? How about Tommy from IDIOT'S LANTERN?

Profile    PM    Email   

Saturday, January 10 2009 @ 01:45 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  Chase] For God'S sake have they never heard of a male companion? How about Tommy from IDIOT'S LANTERN?

In the classic show there were several male companions (Ian, Steven, Ben, Jamie, Harry, Adric, and Turlough).

In the new shows there were Adam ("Dalek" & "The Long Game"), "Captain" Jack Harkness (from "The Empty Child to "The Parting of the Ways" and again in season 3 with the new Master Trilogy), and Mickey ("The Girl in the Fireplace", "The Rise of the Cybermen" & "The Age of Steel")

However I think that a female companion is meant to be the counterpoint of the Doctor's gender.

LATE NOTE: Just to clarify - I included only these three stories with Mickey because those are the only ones he was traveling with the Doctor in.
    Also I could have included The Brigadier but didn't, even though he travelled with the Doctor in "The Three Doctors" and "Mawdryn Undead". TB

"Make your last move, Doctor. Make your LAST move." The Celestial Toymaker to the Doctor in "The Celestial Toymaker: The Final Test"
      Profile    PM    Email   

Saturday, January 10 2009 @ 04:36 PM EST
    Just listened to the review of Season 4 podcast and it struck me that perhaps we know who the companion is already - River Song.

I suspect that she may be a Capt Jack type companion (i.e. in and out through the series).

Got any good pictures Dave?

In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed are Kings
      Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, January 12 2009 @ 09:14 PM EST
    I'd love a "bloke" companion to go with the young Doctor. Someone, perhaps, to keep him from getting as stuffy at Ten does every once and awhile (or maybe I mean someone who can keep the Doctor from being less manic depressive as he is under Tennant's reign - fun loving then angry, fun loving then angry... give me some middle ground sometime!)

supremacy is relative
      Profile    PM    Email   

Saturday, January 17 2009 @ 01:32 PM EST
    what about Sally and Larry from BLINK?

Profile    PM    Email   

Saturday, January 17 2009 @ 01:32 PM EST
    I also wouldn't mind Tomy from IDIOT'S LANTERN

Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, January 18 2009 @ 05:28 PM EST
    There's an article in the Sunday Mirror today (I know, I know) tipping Michelle Ryan (The Bionic Woman, Merlin, Jekyl) as the new companion for the 11th Doctor.
    If it's true then the only thing that I have to say is Phwoarrr! Yes, with a capital P.
    A picture Dave?

Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, January 18 2009 @ 07:27 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  Idiom] There's an article in the Sunday Mirror today (I know, I know) tipping Michelle Ryan (The Bionic Woman, Merlin, Jekyl) as the new companion for the 11th Doctor.
    If it's true then the only thing that I have to say is Phwoarrr! Yes, with a capital P.
    A picture Dave?

She was good in Merlin as well.

For a picture check out this blog:-

here

Cheers, daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Wednesday, January 21 2009 @ 07:56 PM EST
    Right now, it seems like several of the names being tossed around are nothing more than a "Can we recreate Rose?" situation, all the way down to finding somebody with a background similar to Billie Piper's.

I can't say I'd want a repeat of that at all.

Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, January 22 2009 @ 08:32 AM EST
    I'd love to have a male companion for a change. What about the son from Midnight? People could keep mistaking the pair of them for brothers!
    Seriously though, Id like to see an older companion or a male companion but I really don't think it will happen, not without a young female companion too. Mind you more than one companion would be interesting.
    What I'd really like to see, and I don't expect this to ever happen, is for this younger looking Doctor to have a child companion. Someone like CAL from the Library episodes. I'd imagine that the Doctor would have difficulty persuading people that he was a responsible guardian, I suppose like Naj and Al in the remake of Survivors.
    This would be the only way we'd get a totally original take on the companion.Of course it would never happen, the BBC would never allow a child to be seen in the sort of mortal danger companions usually find themselves in, plus it would make filming the series damn near impossible.

Failing that, let's have a brother and sister team of companions.

Bollocks...sir.

Thursday, January 22 2009 @ 08:48 AM EST
    If we're going to get a young, female assistant again (yet again) then I think Lucy should be given a chance at supporting the new Doctor on the TV. She's been really good on the radio.

It would be an interesting time war link. She would be a great tool to reveal some of his past.

Perhaps her rack would be too distracting though...? Smile~

-- BongMong :)~
      Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, January 22 2009 @ 09:34 AM EST
    For those who want an OLD and a MALE companion - how about George W. Gump - he has a lot of time on his hands now!

Please check out my blog, as I attempt to watch and review EVERY Doctor Who episode! http://journeythroughtimeandspace.blogspot.com/

Thursday, January 22 2009 @ 09:30 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  Idiom] There's an article in the Sunday Mirror today (I know, I know) tipping Michelle Ryan (The Bionic Woman, Merlin, Jekyl) as the new companion for the 11th Doctor.
    A picture Dave?

maybe be spoiler, but since it's been announced by the BBC anyway

------

from OG today.
    She's been cast in the Planet of the Dead as the main guest companion Lady Christina de Souza.

That might rule her out of being Eleven's companion... but then again, weired things have happened.

bye bye david :(

Friday, January 23 2009 @ 12:23 AM EST

Michelle Ryan has only been announced for Doctor Who: The Planet of the Dead, the next upcoming special slated for April. There's no indication that she will be a companion for the 11th Doctor. Although that is how Catherine Tate got started, we will have to wait and see what happens. Until then, we mustn't just to conclusions.

Also announced is Lee Evans for this special.

Cheers,
    Louis

☛ Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LouisTrapani ♥ ♥

Thursday, January 29 2009 @ 04:45 PM EST
    Damn the torpedoes. Full steam ahead. Let's overcrowd the TARDIS.

Sally Sparrow.
    Larry Nightengale.

and...

Jackson Lake.

Profile    PM    Email   

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post