The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • Peter Capaldi Being Interviewed by Craig Ferguson in 2009 [VIDEO]
  • Doctor Who Christmas Special 2014 Preview from BBC Children in Need
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 318 - 'Death in Heaven' Reviewed
  • Doctor Who Christmas Special 2014 Promo "Trailer" Video
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Death in Heaven? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Death in Heaven' Scheduled for Sunday, Nov 09
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 317 - 'Dark Water' Reviewed
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Dark Water? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Dark Water' Scheduled for Sunday, Nov 02
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 316 - 'In the Forest of the Night' Reviewed

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Carole Ann Ford (1985)
    Carole Ann Ford (1985)
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  The Matt Smith Era »  What else will be new?
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    What else will be new? Views: 2110
     Monday, January 05 2009 @ 04:54 PM EST
    Besides getting a new Doctor & companion in 2010 what else do you think will change for the program?
    I bet we get a new opening sequence, a new console room, and I feel the show will be recorded with HD cameras like Torchwood.

Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, January 05 2009 @ 07:42 PM EST

I had heard some time ago that BBC was to go to all HD by 2010. If so, yes, that should include DW.

As for what else, well it is all up to Steven Moffat and the budget I would imagine. New Doctor, new costume. That much is a given.

Cheers,
    Louis

☛ Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LouisTrapani ♥ ♥
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Monday, January 05 2009 @ 10:47 PM EST
    Some predictions for what won't change:

1) Sexual tension in the TARDIS. We may not have a long-running romantic subplot, but when Steven Moffat advances the Nine/Rose relationship in "The Doctor Dances", heavily alludes to romance with Madame de Pompadour and River Song, jokes about Doctor Who "finally hitting puberty" in 1996, and casts a fairly handsome 26-year-old as the Eleventh Doctor, you can bet that there will be the occasional snog, double entendre and attachment.

2) Lots and lots of running.

3) Occasionally daft science in service to the plot or characterization.

4) A mix of storytelling styles ranging from pseudo-Gothic horror to slapstick.

5) Very careful, judicious use of past continuity/nods to fans.

I don't think that it will be as flamboyant a show as RTD preferred; he had no fear of putting the show "over the top" on occasion (and more power to him for it!). I do think that it will otherwise have a similar pace, sense of humor and drama.

That said, I expect it will feel like a different show even though the formula will be similar. RTD appears to be wrapping up most of his plot and character threads and giving Moffat a blank canvas to work with.

Some folks have quibbled with the BBC's restarting the series numbering in 2005. I suspect it might be just as appropriate to restart it in 2010; Moffat will have the option to barely look back at 2005-09. Much as I love the RTD era, it might be best for the show if he takes it.

Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, January 05 2009 @ 11:04 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  FixerMX] Some predictions for what won't change:

1) Sexual tension in the TARDIS. We may not have a long-running romantic subplot, but when Steven Moffat advances the Nine/Rose relationship in "The Doctor Dances", heavily alludes to romance with Madame de Pompadour and River Song, jokes about Doctor Who "finally hitting puberty" in 1996, and casts a fairly handsome 26-year-old as the Eleventh Doctor, you can bet that there will be the occasional snog, double entendre and attachment.

I suspect this to be the case as well unfortunately. I fear it will only get worse though now. But we shall see.

Cheers,
    Louis

Monday, January 05 2009 @ 11:17 PM EST
    If the BBC does go all HD by 2010, then a new TARDIS console room is a virtual certainty. From what I've heard, the set won't stand up to HD scrutiny. I'd tend to think that necessarily means a new opening sequence too, as I don't think they made an HD version of it. Plus, I rather suspect that Moffat's too steeped in the traditions of the old series not to change the titles, if there's the slightest excuse for doing so.

I'm firmly hoping for a change in the number of the regular cast. These flirtations with semi-regular third companions have proven that the "crowded TARDIS" is a dramatically interesting TARDIS. I also tend to think that somewhere deep in Moffat's soul is a desire to do the Davison era better. I think his history of writing for ensemble casts, as with Coupling, will make at least a three-person TARDIS a done deal. If you look at his episodes, they all have had the Doctor plus at least two companions.

In the longer term, I think we might see Moffat helming a spin-off, but it won't be either of the two we currently have.

"I think of myself as ambitious in casting terms, and I know that Bonnie [Langford] has the potential to make the part totally unirritating . . ." JNT, 1986

Tuesday, January 06 2009 @ 12:18 AM EST
    [Quote  by:  Louis]
    [Quote  by:  FixerMX] Some predictions for what won't change:

I suspect this to be the case as well unfortunately. I fear it will only get worse though now. But we shall see.

Cheers,
    Louis

I must admit to sharing this concern. Although I count myself as a proud fan of Moffat's storytelling, his tendency to introduce themes from modern romantic fiction has never sat well with me. And I'm not embarrassed to say this is the "little kid inside" talking. As a child, one of the things I liked about the Doctor was his complete disinterest in the advances of a coquette. As far as I'm concerned, those mannerisms never made the character seem two-dimensional or cartoonish. While my adolescence and early teenage years were filled with unrequited feelings and bad dates, it was actually comforting to sit down and watch the Doctor be "above it all". Deep down, I guess I still feel the same way.

Tuesday, January 06 2009 @ 12:41 AM EST

True, if it does indeed go to HD, then I believe the opening title sequence would have to be redone anyway for HD. So if they are going to have to redo it anyway for HD, I would be surprised if they didn't change or tweak it in some way.

Cheers,
    Louis

Tuesday, January 06 2009 @ 07:10 AM EST
    A change in the Tardis control room would be cool, although the "coral desk top theme" of the new series has been easily my favourite.

New titles, maybe harking back to the pre-eighties spooky intros could be interesting.

I'd really like to see a more crowded Tardis too. I think some sexual tension is almost guaranteed. i actually don't mind the love interest aspect of the new series, although maybe if they do go down that route again, it might be more interesting to have it between companions this time. The Doctor constantly falling in love only to have it dashed somehow will wear thin very quickly.

If half the art of survival is running away, the other half is knowing when to keep a straight face.
      Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, January 06 2009 @ 07:13 AM EST
    we need new titles anyway. they hardly ever transfer onto dvd/recording with out fragmenting. (to my eyes)

AND HOPEFULLY a new theme tune or even a return to the 2005 theme.

the TARDIS needs a revamp for HD. The Prop is showing ware.

Id love to see a scene where he flicks between "desk top otions" and we see the classic option... maybe listed as "Retro" or even a story set inside the TARDIS where they use the secandary console room.

ah such fan nonsence... wont happen

Guest Host on the WHOCAST

Tuesday, January 06 2009 @ 10:59 AM EST
    Sir, I love the current theme.

For this affront to my musical tastes, I shall have to travel to your country and smite you. Can I borrow some cash for airfare?

Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, January 06 2009 @ 12:46 PM EST
    So, I'd love to see the TARDIS landing in some post-apocalyptic landscape, the Doctor wandering out and finding a male companion unconscious, wounded and with (apparently amnesia). The Doctor takes the companion on board but then is forced to flee its landing site for some reason.
    The next landing takes the TARDIS to Earth and picks up a second companion: female and a strong-authority figure - maybe a police officer - different from doting the females of the past and somebody with as much of a sense of justice and need to interfere as the Doctor.
    Maybe the new Doctor, at first, is less certain of himelf in this new regeneration and some of the situations that he finds himself in are driven more by the companions.
    The story arc for the season gradually unfolds the mystery of the male comapnion. Who is he really? What are his secrets? And the love interest, cos yes I agree there will be one, will gradually unfold between the two companions with this younger less certain Doctor, ironically thrown into the role of confidant.
    Well, that's my idea anyway.

Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, March 02 2009 @ 03:28 PM EST

The Mirror.co.uk is reporting earlier rumours of a TARDIS make-over. If true, as we know this won't be the first time the TARDIS had make-over nor likely will it be the last.

Arrow Doctor Who exclusive: TARDIS to be redesigned for arrival of new Time Lord Matt Smith

Cheers,
    Louis

Monday, March 02 2009 @ 04:01 PM EST
    I wonder if that really is the case or if it's more likely that they've picked up on the fact that the set is going to be rebuilding the set(s) ready for HD and have twisted it in to 'redesigning'?

Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, March 03 2009 @ 05:21 AM EST
    1. More straight people. I know it sounds biased, but it seemed every time the Doctor met someone new, they were either gay or on their way (i refer mainly to Midnight, but there are other instances, i recall this issue being picked up on an episode of Podshock once)

2. With regards to a more crowded scene. I'm afraid the new format of the show has made this virtually impossible. 4 x 50minute specials will not give us enough time for character development. Also, it will hinder the plot, CROWDED being the operative word. The classic series had the opportunity for multi-episode stories where the crew would get split up and each character go off on a tangent of their own, only for the Doctor to save the day and the crew to be reunited at the end. I believe they tried this format in The Doctor's Daughter but it showed, with limited time, how it didn't work. IMHO.

3. I'd also quite like a new console room. As Tin Dog mentioned, the old one is wearing out. A console made of junk, chairs fit from the dump and a sickly green colour will have to go. But i'm sure Doctor OneOne will have some new fashion ideas!

Drink
      Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, March 03 2009 @ 01:59 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  stjohnny] 1. More straight people. I know it sounds biased, but it seemed every time the Doctor met someone new, they were either gay or on their way (i refer mainly to Midnight, but there are other instances, i recall this issue being picked up on an episode of Podshock once)

More straight people? More straight people??? You got to be kidding? What's next, more white people? More Christian people?

I'm sorry, that is simply homophobic. The Doctor meets plenty of straight people in the new series and throughout the series' history itself. The vast majority of the characters we see are not gay or bi or Captain Jack. It's about time we see more diversity in the series.

So I say, bring on the diversity!

Cheers,
    Louis

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post